Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, previously they seemed to drop the rope about 10 minutes prior. If they didn't let people walk until 8:59 then the kiosks would have had no joy today.

I have noticed a couple things in my experience (Android Samsung Galaxy S7) and not getting a red button:

1. If I tap "Find out More" even one second before OPO, my button does not turn red and will not turn red no matter how much I refresh, restart the app, curse, swear or anything until it is time for backups. I suspect if I were to "Force Stop" the app it would reset, but that takes too much time once you are in the thick of it.

2. If I tap "Find out More" too soon and get the above behavior, but I tap "My Status" AFTER OPO, I get an active button in there that will let me start the join process. However, if I tap "My Status" too soon, it also will not activate no matter what I do until it is time for backups. Going back out to the "Find out More" screen still yields a grey button despite the button in "My Status" being active.

3. I noticed today that my Gear S2 watch has drifted off of my phone's time by about 3 seconds fast. This is what caused me to tap in too soon. I could see as I entered the screen that my phone's time hadn't changed to 9:00 yet and knew I was going to be locked out.

Given these observations, My process when I go to the park in April will be:

T-minus 15 minutes: Find a location with good service (ping) and fair wi-fi for the extra phones. Confirm that we are in the park and everyone is logged in to my account with the tickets for today.

T-minus 10 minutes: Force Stop Disneyland App and clear cache. Power down and restart smart watch. Confirm watch synchronized with phone's network time. Have others in my party do the same. Confirm that wifi phones are synchronized with wireless network phones. Review the process with everyone in the party. The wifi-phones are going to be secondary and will tap in 1 seconds after OPO to ensure that they will be active in the case that our network time is off and we get locked out.

T-minus 2 minutes: Have everyone start the Disneyland app.

T-minus 1 minute: I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force...

T-minus 5 seconds: Countdown. Network goes on 0. Wireless goes one second after.

After that...BG or not, it's Disneyland.
Just to add a minor observation from this morning.

Testing from home - I accidentally clicked Find Out More at like 8:59:45. 9:00 hits, grey button.

I immediately went to My Status and got a Join link, so that would be my normal failsafe.

But just for kicks (since I was home), I went to the App page (Android), cleared cache, and closed the app. Reopened it, hit Find Out More, got the red button.

In part, confirming what we already knew about the caching issues. But it does make me wonder if it might be worth keeping the app page "open" so you can switch to it and clear cache if My Status somehow isn't working either. (Though I think hitting My Status is the bigger suggestion that most people should know about if they're getting locked out.)

Looks like our second one-hour downtime just came to an end. Fingers crossed that they can keep her running for the next 5 hours or so and make a day of it.

After reading so many tips from these boards, I finally got on the ride today. I was super nervous this morning when bag check and the line at the turnstiles were huge at around 8:15am, but we were scanned into the park by 8:45. Grabbed a spot right in the centre of town square on Main Street and managed to grab BG 50. They seemed to absolutely fly through BG's until it gor stuck on 47 for an hour or so at around midday/1pm. I was absolutely blown away by the ride, as far as I know, every effect was working and the entire attraction is the pinical of theme park design, utterly breathtaking. I think it surpassed Mystic Manor at HKDL and Journey at TDS for me too, my top 2 attractions before deciding this (haven't ridden Shanghai pirates yet).

Thanks everyone for all the tips, hoping to score BG's for the next 2 mornings before I head back to the UK.

After reading so many tips from these boards, I finally got on the ride today. I was super nervous this morning when bag check and the line at the turnstiles were huge at around 8:15am, but we were scanned into the park by 8:45. Grabbed a spot right in the centre of town square on Main Street and managed to grab BG 50. They seemed to absolutely fly through BG's until it gor stuck on 47 for an hour or so at around midday/1pm. I was absolutely blown away by the ride, as far as I know, every effect was working and the entire attraction is the pinical of theme park design, utterly breathtaking. I think it surpassed Mystic Manor at HKDL and Journey at TDS for me too, my top 2 attractions before deciding this (haven't ridden Shanghai pirates yet).

Thanks everyone for all the tips, hoping to score BG's for the next 2 mornings before I head back to the UK.
Love Journey at TDS!

I was absolutely blown away by the ride, as far as I know, every effect was working

You might want to check out the spoiler thread. Two of us rode it in the 10AM hour and had some B mode situations, not sure if you have checked out videos to know what was supposed to be happening. Then again they may have got them back online after the downtime.

Can someone please explain the caching issues? I’m not sure what the “clear cache” step means.
Apps will cache or store bits of information in your device. They do this to speed up the experience. However when an app is processing time critical processes (such as trying to get a BG within milliseconds) it is important to clear that cache so the app doesn't display old information.

Can someone please explain the caching issues? I’m not sure what the “clear cache” step means.
Can't speak to Apple, but on Android if you go into settings and Apps, you can tap on the Disneyland app to get a screen like this
Tapping "Force Stop" will kill the app and remove it from your device's memory.

If you tap Storage, you get a screen like this:
Tapping clear cache will dump any cached information that the app is using. Note that you do not want to "clear data" as this will force you to log into your account again and slow things down.

Hope that's helpful.

Note that native apps are implemented separately, actually Android and IOS have differences in terms of the principles of the APIs they provide, where IOS is more restrictive. So basically although design wise the Android team and IOS team receive the same (or similar) spec, due to the implementation details they have different issues.
I think the caching issue is more apparent on Android. The symptom is that for instance you get to a page before 8:00am, then at 8:00am it is not refreshed no matter what you do. There needs to be a balance here to prevent mobile servers from being overloaded, provide fast experiences to users as well as keeping the correct behavior.

Last edited:
Short version: the morning you want to try to get a BG, do not under any circumstance click on Find Out More until after 8:00am/9:00am/park open. The Android app tends to load the "Closed" version of the ROTR page before open, and retains that version (caches it), so the "Join" button doesn't activate when the park opens.

If you do get stuck with a gray button, immediately hit My Status and hit the "Join" button there.

Yesterday I scanned into DL, then went over to CA Adventure. My card got flagged because they have a security lock when you enter one park, leave and then enter the other right away. The CM asked if I scanned at other park to get ROTR, and I said yes, while she overrode the block.

Walked to rope drop by Pixar Pier, they dropped at 7:55 AM, and I made my way to Toy Story Mania. Got there at 7:58, walked to the side where I unfortunately was missing 1 bar on the signal, then at 8:00, got Group 43.

I then proceeded to ride Toy Story Mania 4 times in a row, with 0 wait each time. Also picked up FP's for RSR & Soarin'. By then it was 8:40, and there looked to be about a 10 minute line, so I bailed and went over to RSR, stopping on the way to do Emotional Whirlwind & Little Mermaid. Ended up going into the single rider line since it was shorter than the FP one, and went on it twice. Met a nice lady who was behind me in SR line both times. She was with her son and grandchildren, who rather than go single rider, decided to wait in 30 minute standby line. The 2nd ride she pointed them out in line, and the grandkids looked at her like, "how come she's about to get on ride, and we're still standing in this line?" We laughed about how she'll probably be able to do a 3rd ride before they get through, and maybe she'll even be close to getting on ride at same time.

Then I did Soarin', so I was able to do 5 separate rides a total 9 times in about 90 minutes. I wanted to do Goofy's Sky School too, but it was down when I walked by. I truly think that the park was extremely empty while everyone tried over at DL for the boarding group. Which is actually unnecessary once you scan in. The fact, which I was aware of, that DL had the Magic Morning that day, meant even fewer people at CA Adventure. If you want to cover a ton of rides before lunch, when things start to get really busy, pick a Non-MM day at CA Adventure, and be there for rope drop.

How did you get FPs for both RSR and Soarin when DCA was only open for 40 mins?

Can't speak to Apple, but on Android if you go into settings and Apps, you can tap on the Disneyland app to get a screen like this
View attachment 476459
Tapping "Force Stop" will kill the app and remove it from your device's memory.

If you tap Storage, you get a screen like this:
View attachment 476460
Tapping clear cache will dump any cached information that the app is using. Note that you do not want to "clear data" as this will force you to log into your account again and slow things down.

Hope that's helpful.

Is it really necessary to clear cache when clicking "find out more" will enable the red "join boarding group" selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!