Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another belated summary:

Family of 5.
Saturday Feb 22.
Shooting for BG 80+ (cuz DD11 needed to be somewhere else for a swim camp during the day, so planned 5 sec delay after 0800). Credit to @montreid for idea.

BG 14.
DD14 got it on Android phone despite a really fast 5 Mississippi's (allegedly).
All on T-mobile.

Narrative:
Stayed at VGC night before, intended to rope drop Extra Magic Hour. Left our villa at 0645...one DD did not bring jacket requiring DW to go back to the room...coupled with large crowds hindering movement...got through turnstiles by 0715. Interestingly, they opened all turnstiles for general entry around 5 minutes after 0700. DD x 3 got to ride Matterhorn still.

DW and I waited at Sleeping Beauty Castle (right side benches if facing the castle) and kids joined us 10 minutes before 0800. We spread out a little to optimize signals. We had done this before and went through much of the prescribed procedures from this thread. Re-enforced need to count 5-Mississippi's in effort to score a later BG so the youngest DD and DW can ride with us later in the afternoon. Getting early BG (and rain) caused wife to cancel the swim camp so it all worked out in the end.

The ride did go down after a 45 minute wait in line (around 0900-0945), then again when we were eligible for a Multi Experience FP (MEFP) but before we got on the actual ride. Came back later after lunchtime at our convenience when we saw the ride was running relatively smoothly based on posts in this thread. No wait at all thanks to MEFP. Had a great time!

My take (a bit of tin-foil, so skip if you aren't into crazy) :
I've ridden this ride twice now in 2 months. DD got BG 17 first time and BG 14 this second time (with a 5-Mississippi delay). I would say I've read a bit over 50% of this thread. It goes without saying that having a larger group (especially if everyone in the group is trying for a BG) increases your odds of getting an early BG. However, I don't think that is the most important factor, all else being equal.

Here is why... if you are familiar with Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, you may be familiar with their lottery system. I've not had first hand experience, but from what I've read in threads dedicated to Tokyo Disneyland, their lottery system factors in group sizes. I'm not saying it is exactly like their system. it is not. Just that maybe each different group size is playing in a different pool.

Pure speculation: If you are a single rider, you will be in the "1-person pool". Three people in your group? There is a "3-person pool". My family of 5? You guessed it, "5-person pool". Depending on how Disney distributes numbers of available spots into each pool, the ease of getting an early boarding group can be drastically different. Simpler still, Disney can just divide into two-groups, large (5-10) vs small (1-4). I can easily imagine the large group being much easier to compete in (tend to have less adults than kids). Versus the small groups which tend to have a higher percentage of adults who stalk the forums for tips on how to score boarding groups. Based on my musings, those childless millenials and lonely singletons need to group up with each other before official park opening to really maximize their chances of getting an early boarding group (instead of competing against each other). Why has no one started a new thread for small-groupers to "group-up" yet?! C'mon Dis'ers!

Let's explore!...

Last edited:
Is it really necessary to clear cache when clicking "find out more" will enable the red "join boarding group" selection?
A lot of the stuff people are doing isn’t “necessary.” You don’t “need” to close all your apps and have an atomic clock running and all that... plenty of people are getting BGs without any of the “tips” here.

But if you have the opportunity and think it might help... why not?

A lot of the stuff people are doing isn’t “necessary.” You don’t “need” to close all your apps and have an atomic clock running and all that... plenty of people are getting BGs without any of the “tips” here.

But if you have the opportunity and think it might help... why not?

For me, the more I "do" - or should I say "overdo", the more chance there is to mess something up! More to remember! More to stress out about! I need to try to be zen, and just keep it as simple as possible! 🤣

Is it really necessary to clear cache when clicking "find out more" will enable the red "join boarding group" selection?
I have not found it to be necessary if I close the app, open within 5 minutes of OPO, and don't tap find out more until after OPO.

However, say that 5 minutes before opening you tap find out more and my status and have now cached the pages for today. By clearing the cache you ensure that what you loaded just now doesn't ruin your chances five minutes from now.

Pure speculation: If you are a single rider, you will be in the "1-person pool". Three people in your group? There is a "3-person pool". My family of 5? You guessed it, "5-person pool". Depending on how Disney distributes numbers of available spots into each pool, the ease of getting an early boarding group can be drastically different. Simpler still, Disney can just divide into two-groups, large (5-10) vs small (1-4). I can easily imagine the large group being much easier to compete in (tend to have less adults than kids). Versus the small groups which tend to have a higher percentage of adults who stalk the forums for tips on how to score boarding groups. Based on my musings, those childless millenials and lonely singletons need to group up with each other before official park opening to really maximize their chances of getting an early boarding group (instead of competing against each other). Why has no one started a new thread for small-groupers to "group-up" yet?! C'mon Dis'ers!

Let's explore!...

I'm all for speculation and exploration, but I don't think that the system batches groups for assignment. I really do think that once your message passes the two gates (1. are you in the park? 2. Do you already have a BG?) it's a single threaded assignment in the order received by the server.

The only place I think group size might come into play is when a BG is almost full and a large group is next off the spool. It is possible that if there are 4 spots in group 10 left and a group of 5 comes down the spool, it assigns those 5 to group 11 and then looks to the next message to see if it is 4 or less to determine which group to assign. But even that logic might slow things down a little, so my suspicion is that the scheduler doesn't try and make the BGs exact sizes and instead just assigns groups to a BG until the number of people in that BG is greater than the set number, then moves to the next BG. It may correct the target size of the next BG to compensate, or it may not.

Essentially I think the system is designed with speed of assignment while avoiding duplicates without optimization of space in the virtual queue.

Here's a question - I know that the current theory is that the ping speed is more important than your data rate. What do you consider to be a "good" ping speed for the purposes of getting a BG?
Good question! Anyone have an answer? I think I saw people looking for ping speeds at or below 30? For example, @Epicnemesis said, "... I ended up setting up shop by the fountain outside of the bowling alley, there were 3 other people trying for a BG around me. ATT was lightening there. 150mbps and <30 ping so I didn’t even bother with WiFi."

T-minus 1 minute: I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force...
THIS. And remember to breathe while chanting. In. Out.

Just broke down after _____
the hanger bay
Reminder: NO SPOILERS, PLEASE! If you must include ANY details about the queue, the ride, the storyline, etc. (and it is very possible to be general and vague), PLEASE use the spoiler tags!
(I, too, am trying to avoid all spoilers, so having to clean up the slip ups isn't easy!)

Spoilers can be discussed here: Rise of the Resistance experience *Ride Spoilers* (Photos on Pg. 5)

So, I had BG 16. Was called, on and done by 10am! Wow, great ride!
Congratulations on your BG success! So, how was the rest of your solo first visit?

They are unused tickets and are on my app but I will be there 1 day earlier and want them off my app for that day.

Thanks!

They are unused tickets and are on my app but I will be there 1 day earlier and want them off my app for that day.

Thanks!
See page one, post two (FAQs) -- "First try tapping the 3 lines on the bottom right of the app, select 'Tickets and passes' and delete the desired tickets or passes." If this doesn't work, there is more information in the FAQs.

Question - my wife and I are going in April. She doesn't like high motion rides and this ride does have a few. But it sounds like the preshow is both amazing and long. Can we get Boarding Passes for both of us, go through preshow, and then she can bail before the main ride itself?

Question - my wife and I are going in April. She doesn't like high motion rides and this ride does have a few. But it sounds like the preshow is both amazing and long. Can we get Boarding Passes for both of us, go through preshow, and then she can bail before the main ride itself?
Before she decides not to experience it, I’d suggest she read through the first few pages of this thread which DOES INCLUDE SPOILERS!!! It offers comparisons of ROTR to other DL/WDW rides so she can get an idea ahead of time. I’m not big on roller coasters and my DAS sister is extremely hesitant as well - this thread provided good info where we both decided to experience ROTR and have no regrets, we enjoyed it immensely and are ready to try for BGs again on our next visits.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...erience-ride-spoilers-photos-on-pg-5.3786890/

Before she decides not to experience it, I’d suggest she read through the first few pages of this thread which DOES INCLUDE SPOILERS!!! It offers comparisons of ROTR to other DL/WDW rides so she can get an idea ahead of time. I’m not big on roller coasters and my DAS sister is extremely hesitant as well - this thread provided good info where we both decided to experience ROTR and have no regrets, we enjoyed it immensely and are ready to try for BGs again on our next visits.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...erience-ride-spoilers-photos-on-pg-5.3786890/
I'm so glad to hear that your sister enjoyed it!

Lines like the above at 6:53AM local time for a 8AM MM/EMH seem reasonable - yesterday must have really been a Monday! These people are in the early entry lines I'm hoping, I'd hate to be there 2 hours plus ahead of time for regular park opening.

In line now. Lines growing pretty quickly.
Today is the first day that I’m intensely watching. We will be there next week Sunday-Wednesday, and we are going to be one of those complicated families. DH wasn’t able to take time off, so we will have to get him scanned in early, but then he has to go back to the hotel so he can work. Wondering how much of a delay I’ll need to do in order to get a boarding pass after 5pm. 🧐

Today is the first day that I’m intensely watching. We will be there next week Sunday-Wednesday, and we are going to be one of those complicated families. DH wasn’t able to take time off, so we will have to get him scanned in early, but then he has to go back to the hotel so he can work. Wondering how much of a delay I’ll need to do in order to get a boarding pass after 5pm. 🧐
Impossible to know for sure since we're still having fun trying to get everything working consistently. If it were me, I'd basically wait for it to go to backup groups and then go for it. Even that might not get you all the way to 5, but you know it will at least be in the afternoon. Of course you risk not getting on at all if the attraction has a bad day.

Scratch that. If it were me, DH (DW in my case) would be on her own. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter