Rise of the Resistance...ride discussion (spoilers)

Anybody else feel that ROTR was underwhelming? I don't think my expectations were too high considering the game changer tag it has even been given by Disney. The video parts were not that realistic (Universal does it better) and awkward animatronics. And the lack of movement of stormtroopers and AT-AT walkers was strange.
Don't get me wrong, the concept is so awesome and I loved the trackless ride and the drop sequence. But I never reached that OMG moment like I did with say Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. I keep hearing people talk about how this is the greatest ride ever...really? I thought I was alone but I overheard another guest offer the same opinion, which is just opinions.
Anyways, the Galaxy is still great!!! Headed back to ride again so maybe I will update my second go around.

I'm on the fence but not a disappointment, just maybe not reaching the heights I imagined...

I felt it was pretty much Ratatouille (DLP) on steroids. The trackless technology is nothing new.

The theming is excellent, the ride is very detailed, and the story is good. I am riding again tomorrow and may have a new perspective as I was being more analytical than just riding for enjoyment this first time. It is definitely not my favorite ride created by Disney's Imagineers as I am a thrill ride junkie and this is definitely not a thrill ride.

I'll hold off a final comment until after tomorrow.

The CM live actors MAKE this attraction. One guy next to me in line actually said, he felt like he did something wrong and was getting in trouble lol
I agree!! Nerd alert haha but I've been saying that I hope this & the Starcruiser remind me of Space Camp. We did a 24 hour mission in the simulator and it was basically the greatest day of my life. When we were in the hanger I whispered to someone that I wanted to walk around but was a little afraid of the First Order people! But in a fun way haha. I'm totally DisneyBounding as a Batuu villager or something next time I go so I can play along more.
How is the ending with the escape pod? I've been reading about it online. We're visiting in January and I am concerned that it will be too much for my two boys who are too afraid to even ride Big Thunder. They can handle Pirates and Frozen Ever After, although they don't love the drops there and start to get anxious when they're approaching.
It was barely a drop, it really didn't feel like much. If you hadn't told me it was a drop I wouldn't call it one.
One of the things that seems to be confusing people the most—and excites me the most—is this ride's approach to the notion of queuing. The distinction between "ride," "pre-show," and "queue" breaks down. In a sense even the transport to the star destroyer is a sort of pre-show, and the detention is a sort of queue (a literal "holding" area). But really that's doing their immersion a disservice, and the fact is that the "riding" and the "queuing" have been broken into multiple chunks. This goes way beyond FOP's or 7DMT's themed queues (admittedly beautiful/awesome), where you might still wait hours for a ride of a few minutes; here some of your wait time is the ride. (It even "themes" your waiting—of course it's unpleasant; you're under arrest!) It will be interesting to see how this impacts metrics of wait times—it's not just "first you wait and then you ride"; here it's "you wait and then you ride and then you move and then you wait and then you ride." I'll take that any day.
Yes yes yes. It sort of is part of the line, but I consider it part of the "ride" because it was so cool and fun. It's nothing like FOP where they're like "yeah wave your arms around, this isn't just to kill some time". So so so good.
The part where we are loading into the transport to evac Batuu was so so good. The CMs totally nailed the sense of urgency. It really felt like we had to get the heck outta dodge NOW.
Totes agree. I wish more people in my group had moved quickly! Our CM's were great and we were just standing there with our jaws on the floor haha.
Im sending the thread to the ride review thread, so it's all under one thread.
Pls direct me there if this is the wrong one! I never know where treads go when you mods say they're being moved haha.

The Cast Members on this ride were all so amazing. Like I said, I want to DB and interact with them a little more. It seemed to me like they were totally prepared for some in-character banter!

I'm on the fence but not a disappointment, just maybe not reaching the heights I imagined...

I felt it was pretty much Ratatouille (DLP) on steroids. The trackless technology is nothing new.

The theming is excellent, the ride is very detailed, and the story is good. I am riding again tomorrow and may have a new perspective as I was being more analytical than just riding for enjoyment this first time. It is definitely not my favorite ride created by Disney's Imagineers as I am a thrill ride junkie and this is definitely not a thrill ride.

I'll hold off a final comment until after tomorrow.

I agree with your opinion. the combination of different technological elements is quite a feat but individually they are nothing new.

I'm really hoping the acting stays consistent and people understand that they are First Order and they are not going to smile, or be friendly

LOL, I fully anticipate witnessing somebody who has no idea what it's all about complain about being treated rudely. "You just don't get good customer service these days!"

LOL, I fully anticipate witnessing somebody who has no idea what it's all about complain about being treated rudely. "You just don't get good customer service these days!"
Yep.
I did hear a gut tell a cm who was explaining how to use the vq say "well i don't like waiting in line"
Lol

Watched the POV vids. I sort of wish they had the ride with and without the music. I know it's for mood setting, but I would really like to just ride it without pumping music throughout the ride.

Yes! This was the only thing I didn’t like. There would not be music playing on a Star Destroyer! Totally ruined the immersion of the hallway and was distracting on the ride. Normally I love music and think it adds to the attraction, but not this one. The crowd was deadly silent in the stormtrooper room- no music and officers right by us. In the hall, with no officers, the music broke the tension and people were chatting (nothing wrong with chatting, just shows the atmosphere changed).

Anybody else feel that ROTR was underwhelming? I don't think my expectations were too high considering the game changer tag it has even been given by Disney. The video parts were not that realistic (Universal does it better) and awkward animatronics. And the lack of movement of stormtroopers and AT-AT walkers was strange.
Don't get me wrong, the concept is so awesome and I loved the trackless ride and the drop sequence. But I never reached that OMG moment like I did with say Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. I keep hearing people talk about how this is the greatest ride ever...really? I thought I was alone but I overheard another guest offer the same opinion, which is just opinions.
Anyways, the Galaxy is still great!!! Headed back to ride again so maybe I will update my second go around.

Stormtroopers are not supposed to move when standing at attention. I thought the twitches were perfect. And the walkers are just in storage on board the ship, no reason for them to be moving.

What I don't hope is it ends up campy. BTW. If you have ridden it, what did you think about Kyle's lightsabre moment? Did it look anything like the commercial?

I mean the "jungle cruise" effect (which is great). Fast and Furious did get campy (Cast member wise)(which is a poor ride)

With this new ride DHS just cemented itself as our favorite. It was Epcot but the construction is too much right now. There is so much to see and do at DHS now. And the Christmas decorations bloweven MK out if the water.

When you drop into the escape pod are you really in a pod of sorts at that point? Being completely enclosed freaks me out. Just trying to plan ahead.

I absolutely loved the ride, I have been to other trackless rides like Pooh's Honey Hunt is Tokyo and this is on a different level even if elements are similar... quite literally since Pooh is all flat if I remember.

I've ridden five and a half times now, and have a few things of note it's fun to look out for that took me a few times through to notice so I thought others might enjoy knowing to look for them also when they ride (maybe a second time as these are of course all spoilers)...

0) As you go through the queue there is one room with jars embedded in the walls. The whole cave system is an ancient alien structure that Vi took over after she cleaned out booby traps, explained in her Black Spire book - it also mentions the waterfalls out front.

1) After the briefing, when you go to load on the ship the X-Wing to the side has BB-8 loaded in.

2) When on the ship, as you are taking off I think the view out the back of the craft is even cooler than the front. You see Batuu recede being you, Of course don't forget to watch the Mon Calimari in front at times as well, a very well done animatronic.

3) When you are in the tractor beam look rear again, you can see the Star Destroyer that is pulling you in, and as you are pulled in the whole inside your ship flashes blue as you are pulled through the force field! Also you can see the storm troopers filing into the room that will greet you shortly and see the red Tie Fighter hanging on the wall that you see on the way to interrogation. It really adds to the immersion for me.

4) The stormtroopers in the bay do shift around, just rarely... heads and arms sometimes.

5) There's a reason they talk about those colors on the floor when you line up before interrogation. I was dense and didn't know the first two times I rode I was supposed to get in the vehicle seats of the same color. The instructions from the imperial cast member CM's were much clearer today because as the imperial officer said "apparently they don't teach the rebels colors... or numbers".

6) Once in the vehicles there are two different tracks, one goes face to face with the probe droid, then to the front of the AT-AT - the other goes behind the other car for the probe droid, then the side of the AT-AT. Both side get to see Finn on the floor behind crates as he is talking to you (front of AT-AT look left, side look right).

7) The lightsaber through the ceiling thing is impossible to miss but I just had to add that is amazing and looks so real. Whoa.

8) If you are wondering where the explosion comes from that saves you from Kylo Ren at the end, look out the window as he is talking and you will see a Tie-Fighter get hit then spiral into the ship. They even play a lot of audio related to that to cue you into what is happening there.

9) Just before the drop you'll see other pods across the way drop just before you, so you have a great sense of what is about to happen to your pod... again this is obvious but such a nice touch I just had to mention it. :-)

My last day is tomorrow, plan to ride this as many times as I can.. to me the multiple-vehicle + level + imperial officers + Star Wars aspect of this along with all of the many details of story and visuals and audio make this my favorite ride anywhere. I think even if it were not Star Wars it would be amazing but the backstory really helps prop up the aura of the imperial officers. Half tempted to get the ride vehicle toy...

I absolutely loved the ride, I have been to other trackless rides like Pooh's Honey Hunt is Tokyo and this is on a different level even if elements are similar... quite literally since Pooh is all flat if I remember.

I've ridden five and a half times now, and have a few things of note it's fun to look out for that took me a few times through to notice so I thought others might enjoy knowing to look for them also when they ride (maybe a second time as these are of course all spoilers)...

0) As you go through the queue there is one room with jars embedded in the walls. The whole cave system is an ancient alien structure that Vi took over after she cleaned out booby traps, explained in her Black Spire book - it also mentions the waterfalls out front.

1) After the briefing, when you go to load on the ship the X-Wing to the side has BB-8 loaded in.

2) When on the ship, as you are taking off I think the view out the back of the craft is even cooler than the front. You see Batuu recede being you, Of course don't forget to watch the Mon Calimari in front at times as well, a very well done animatronic.

3) When you are in the tractor beam look rear again, you can see the Star Destroyer that is pulling you in, and as you are pulled in the whole inside your ship flashes blue as you are pulled through the force field! Also you can see the storm troopers filing into the room that will greet you shortly and see the red Tie Fighter hanging on the wall that you see on the way to interrogation. It really adds to the immersion for me.

4) The stormtroopers in the bay do shift around, just rarely... heads and arms sometimes.

5) There's a reason they talk about those colors on the floor when you line up before interrogation. I was dense and didn't know the first two times I rode I was supposed to get in the vehicle seats of the same color. The instructions from the imperial cast member CM's were much clearer today because as the imperial officer said "apparently they don't teach the rebels colors... or numbers".

6) Once in the vehicles there are two different tracks, one goes face to face with the probe droid, then to the front of the AT-AT - the other goes behind the other car for the probe droid, then the side of the AT-AT. Both side get to see Finn on the floor behind crates as he is talking to you (front of AT-AT look left, side look right).

7) The lightsaber through the ceiling thing is impossible to miss but I just had to add that is amazing and looks so real. Whoa.

8) If you are wondering where the explosion comes from that saves you from Kylo Ren at the end, look out the window as he is talking and you will see a Tie-Fighter get hit then spiral into the ship. They even play a lot of audio related to that to cue you into what is happening there.

9) Just before the drop you'll see other pods across the way drop just before you, so you have a great sense of what is about to happen to your pod... again this is obvious but such a nice touch I just had to mention it. :-)

My last day is tomorrow, plan to ride this as many times as I can.. to me the multiple-vehicle + level + imperial officers + Star Wars aspect of this along with all of the many details of story and visuals and audio make this my favorite ride anywhere. I think even if it were not Star Wars it would be amazing but the backstory really helps prop up the aura of the imperial officers. Half tempted to get the ride vehicle toy...
So only one car gets blasted by the front ofthe At At? What shoots at the second car? After 3 rides we have always gone face to face with the probe droid and AT AT.

I must be easily amused. The entire package was the greatest thing I’ve ever seen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter