Rise of the Resistance standby only for now- share thoughts and experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
News from CM training right now, both MFSR and RotR will only take one party per vehicle, so even at low capacity I expect the queue to be long

So, in a situation like this do you head to Star Wars first thing when the park opens, or go visit the other attractions in hopes that those lines down a little bit as the day goes on? I think in the past, people could only ride RotR once because you had to have a boarding group. Do you think that they will continue to have that policy in place? If not, people might choose to get in line over and over, limiting the number of spots available for everyone to ride.

So, in a situation like this do you head to Star Wars first thing when the park opens, or go visit the other attractions in hopes that those lines down a little bit as the day goes on? I think in the past, people could only ride RotR once because you had to have a boarding group. Do you think that they will continue to have that policy in place? If not, people might choose to get in line over and over, limiting the number of spots available for everyone to ride.
it's only standby for now so you can ride it as many times as you want, as to what people might do, it's a toss up. RotR will continue to be THE most popular and hard to ride attraction at DHS, but people might split between RotR and MMRR
If RotR is your priority I would rope drop that and then you can check wait times through out the day to see if you are willing to wait and ride it again'CM have setup the queue with social distancing in mind and the markers start at the entrance to the land, snakes inside the proper Rise queue then they have a door that opens into the overflow queue for Muppets 3D and then back in, total time expected is an hour and a half, this is what the CM were told yesterday in training. Rise also has those pesky technical problems
We won't really know the wait times until a full first week of operations

I'll pass along what happened to us when we were there in advance of Hurricane Dorian. I think this is relevant because the hurricane caused park volume to be extremely low at rope drop. We got to the park first thing in the morning, before sunrise. You basically had two lines: One going left, herding into GE, and the other going right at the Starbucks into the rest of the park. Most people (only a couple hundred at most) headed left, toward GE. We were among maybe a dozen people who went right. We walked on to Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster (it was the only time I've ever seen the fabled 13 minute wait), and no lie, we watched the sun rise from Slinky Dog Dash. We didn't actually get to GE until 11:30 or so, mainly because we had a reservation at Oga's, but also because we had already seen a majority of the park at that point. The wait for Smuggler's Run wasn't bad, and Rise of the Resistance wasn't open yet. The park started to fill up as the day went on, but the lines were never all that long.

All of this is to say that we probably did the right thing avaoiding GE at rope drop, even though that portion of the park would still be nowhere near capacity. By the time we got there, my feeling is that the lines had a chance to die down somewhat, since mostly everyone had moved on to other experiences in HS. I think the crowd size situation will follow a similar pattern when HS reopens.

I'll pass along what happened to us when we were there in advance of Hurricane Dorian. I think this is relevant because the hurricane caused park volume to be extremely low at rope drop. We got to the park first thing in the morning, before sunrise. You basically had two lines: One going left, herding into GE, and the other going right at the Starbucks into the rest of the park. Most people (only a couple hundred at most) headed left, toward GE. We were among maybe a dozen people who went right. We walked on to Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster (it was the only time I've ever seen the fabled 13 minute wait), and no lie, we watched the sun rise from Slinky Dog Dash. We didn't actually get to GE until 11:30 or so, mainly because we had a reservation at Oga's, but also because we had already seen a majority of the park at that point. The wait for Smuggler's Run wasn't bad, and Rise of the Resistance wasn't open yet. The park started to fill up as the day went on, but the lines were never all that long.

All of this is to say that we probably did the right thing avaoiding GE at rope drop, even though that portion of the park would still be nowhere near capacity. By the time we got there, my feeling is that the lines had a chance to die down somewhat, since mostly everyone had moved on to other experiences in HS. I think the crowd size situation will follow a similar pattern when HS reopens.

This was also during EMH that started at 6am - I'm not sure if the lack of EMH will have an impact here. I think what might be more of a consideration is the fact that you have several popular rope drop rides including the new MMRR, MFSR, RotR and SDD that might help disperse morning crowds a bit.

I am thrilled RotR will be standby, that pretty much guarantees you'll get to ride as long as you're willing to wait in line! Way better than the BG lottery for chances.

This was also during EMH that started at 6am - I'm not sure if the lack of EMH will have an impact here. I think what might be more of a consideration is the fact that you have several popular rope drop rides including the new MMRR, MFSR, RotR and SDD that might help disperse morning crowds a bit.

I am thrilled RotR will be standby, that pretty much guarantees you'll get to ride as long as you're willing to wait in line! Way better than the BG lottery for chances.
I would say that EMH and limited entry into the parks are going to look fairly similar, with the biggest difference being that it'll be like EMH all day.

Not really. Ride still breaks down a lot, and would have to clear the queue. Could easily waste 2 to 3 hours in line only to have to leave. Now that park is open 8 hrs time is precious. Should have kept it Vq. With reduced capacity they wouldn't be filling up

News from CM training right now, both MFSR and RotR will only take one party per vehicle, so even at low capacity I expect the queue to be long
That seems a bit extreme to me as someone who's going to be a party of one. I get that it's a simple way to handle loading and distancing, but I wouldn't feel any less safe with another party of one or two people in the opposite corner of RotR's final vehicle. MFSR is a bit more tricky, I think. This news does make me wonder if they're going to abridge the early portions of the attraction since it's much less straightforward to enforce distancing there.

I kind of wonder if it'll resemble the patterns MFSR saw early on in its standby-only opening months, where people were reporting that lines were longest in the hour following rope drop and got shorter midday. I'm not counting on it, but I'm curious to see if history repeats itself.
Not really. Ride still breaks down a lot, and would have to clear the queue. Could easily waste 2 to 3 hours in line only to have to leave. Now that park is open 8 hrs time is precious. Should have kept it Vq. With reduced capacity they wouldn't be filling up
Agreed (though isn't it 10 hours of open time per day?). I liked knowing at the start of the day whether or not I was going to be able to ride, and I really liked being able to go about my business and enjoy the park instead of standing in line for hours on end. I'm honestly surprised they've switched it to standby since I don't expect the operational issues to have been resolved and the extremely low ride capacity that will result from the one-party-per-vehicle rule will make for long lines even at reduced park capacity. But maybe they want the standby line to act as people storage if they're confident they can keep guests spaced out while they're in line.

Right now I've got a day at DHS booked for a short October trip, but as things get back up and operational I'm going to be keeping an eye on reports on this board about the standby experience. I love Galaxy's Edge and I love the park and I'll have a fun day there whether or not I ride either of the GE attractions--and whether it's worth dealing with standby to do so is one of the big questions I'll have to ask myself. If it's really only an hour and a half to ride RotR I could see doing it once, but if the ride keeps having issues and they're having to purge the queue periodically, I don't know that it'll be worth dealing with it.

That seems a bit extreme to me as someone who's going to be a party of one. I get that it's a simple way to handle loading and distancing, but I wouldn't feel any less safe with another party of one or two people in the opposite corner of RotR's final vehicle. MFSR is a bit more tricky, I think. This news does make me wonder if they're going to abridge the early portions of the attraction since it's much less straightforward to enforce distancing there.

I kind of wonder if it'll resemble the patterns MFSR saw early on in its standby-only opening months, where people were reporting that lines were longest in the hour following rope drop and got shorter midday. I'm not counting on it, but I'm curious to see if history repeats itself.

Agreed (though isn't it 10 hours of open time per day?). I liked knowing at the start of the day whether or not I was going to be able to ride, and I really liked being able to go about my business and enjoy the park instead of standing in line for hours on end. I'm honestly surprised they've switched it to standby since I don't expect the operational issues to have been resolved and the extremely low ride capacity that will result from the one-party-per-vehicle rule will make for long lines even at reduced park capacity. But maybe they want the standby line to act as people storage if they're confident they can keep guests spaced out while they're in line.

Right now I've got a day at DHS booked for a short October trip, but as things get back up and operational I'm going to be keeping an eye on reports on this board about the standby experience. I love Galaxy's Edge and I love the park and I'll have a fun day there whether or not I ride either of the GE attractions--and whether it's worth dealing with standby to do so is one of the big questions I'll have to ask myself. If it's really only an hour and a half to ride RotR I could see doing it once, but if the ride keeps having issues and they're having to purge the queue periodically, I don't know that it'll be worth dealing with it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing this as a way to keep a huge influx of people crowding the entrance trying to get a Boarding Group. Or, perhaps they anticipate crowds will be low enough that standby will be sufficient. Or both.

Regardless I think any amount of time in standby is worth it simply because we’re Out of Towners and this will be our only opportunity to ride this trip. We visited GE last year right on opening weekend pre-Dorian so we had pleeeeenty of time to do everything else. This is the ride we haven’t experienced, so it gets top priority. But like everyone else I will be keeping my eyes peeled to the boards to see what traffic patterns look like at rope drop and throughout the day.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing this as a way to keep a huge influx of people crowding the entrance trying to get a Boarding Group. Or, perhaps they anticipate crowds will be low enough that standby will be sufficient. Or both.

Regardless I think any amount of time in standby is worth it simply because we’re Out of Towners and this will be our only opportunity to ride this trip. We visited GE last year right on opening weekend pre-Dorian so we had pleeeeenty of time to do everything else. This is the ride we haven’t experienced, so it gets top priority. But like everyone else I will be keeping my eyes peeled to the boards to see what traffic patterns look like at rope drop and throughout the day.
That's the explanation that makes the most sense to me, since I'd been wondering from the start how on earth they meant to enforce social distancing at rope drop if it was anything like it was back in January. We can see through previous policies that they've actively managed the rope drop situation (previously by making everyone wait until the park's official opening time to book a boarding group, thus de-incentivizing extremely early arrivals), so it'd make sense if this was all in the name of removing the reward for showing up early and crowding the gates.

I will clarify that my pro-boarding group stance is as a fellow out-of-towner. I devoted two mornings on my last trip to getting a boarding group, and one morning went well and the other didn't. So I definitely get it, and I know the stakes are higher on a shorter trip--though not as high for me this October since I've already ridden it twice. I'd love to ride it again but it's not a brand new experience for me so it's easier for me to let it go this time around if the logistics are too unwieldy. I'm just also leery of the standby solution as someone who got cleared off the ride three times within twenty-four hours since they tend to also clear the queue if they think it's going to be down for a longer period.

This will be our first time trying to ride. What is the best way to get there at park opening

This will be our first time trying to ride. What is the best way to get there at park opening
Like I said earlier, when I was there they herded everyone to the left to get you to the Muppet side of GE. The other entrance from Toy Story Land was blocked off. If it's not blocked off at open anymore, that's how I'd go.

We took a lyft both times we rope dropped HS on our December trip. This was obviously during the use of boarding passes, so we just needed to make sure our entire party was inside the park before the official park opening. Not sure how early you will need to get there now that RotR is standby. If you have your own car, I think driving might be the safest to get there at a specific time.

As great as Disney transportation can be, it can also be equally unreliable.

We took a lyft both times we rope dropped HS on our December trip. This was obviously during the use of boarding passes, so we just needed to make sure our entire party was inside the park before the official park opening. Not sure how early you will need to get there now that RotR is standby. If you have your own car, I think driving might be the safest to get there at a specific time.

As great as Disney transportation can be, it can also be equally unreliable.
The Skyliner is also an option now.

The Skyliner is also an option now.

Yep, but even skyliner has delays. We used the skyliner from Pop Century often during our stay, but not when we wanted to rope drop HS because we wanted total control of our arrival time.

We did have one issue on the skyliner earlier during our stay where it delayed us by about 30 minutes, which is fine if you aren't in a rush or need to be somewhere at a specific time. I think if you are set on arriving at DHS at a very specific time, driving or ride share is one of your best bets.

I know I shouldn’t be feeling stressed about touring the parks during these times...but I am stressed about getting on RotR. We’re staying at Boardwalk so I’m thinking the best strategy might just to be to walk over to the park ASAP to get a good position from rope drop, however they’re doing that. Since the parks are open for less time now I’d rather spend time waiting when the parks are closed instead when they’re open.

DHS is so packed with E-tickets. Maybe this will help distribute guests, but I’m stressed about getting everything done in SWGE, in addition to Slinky, MMRR (which I REALLY want to ride), and ToT and RNRC. Thinking the evening might be a good time to do MMRR, ToT, and RNRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts