Road to Hana

Are people permitted to swim at any of the waterfall stops?

Thanks!!
People were swimming at Three Bears, but we didn't want to stop that long at the beginning of the day (black sand was my priority). The trail down was also kinda sketchy--lots of scrambling over rocks--but I didn't try it, so I can't say if it was better (or worse) than it looked.

Our family is headed to Kauai and Maui after our week stay at Aulani. When we get to Maui, we would love to travel the Road to Hana (at least in part) and see some of the waterfalls and beaches. However, I use a wheelchair on occasion due to chronic fatigue. I can walk short distances - maybe a half mile or so.
Are any of the stops along the Road short enough that I could go without a wheelchair or paved so that I can take it?

Thank you for any insights!!
We traveled the road to Hana (in a rental car with no issues, btw), and never felt the need to stop and get out on the way to the top. We just looked at the beautiful sights as we drove by. At the top we got out and visited the cemetery that contains Charles Lindbergh's grave. It's flat there, so shouldn't be difficult.

Last edited:
We traveled the road to Hana (in a rental car with no issues, btw), and never felt the need to stop and get out on the way to the top. We just looked at the beautiful sights as we drove by. At the top we got out and visited the cemetery that contains Charles Lindberg's grave. It's flat there, so shouldn't be difficult.
Do you remember how long this took you and what time you started out and returned? Thank you!!

People were swimming at Three Bears, but we didn't want to stop that long at the beginning of the day (black sand was my priority). The trail down was also kinda sketchy--lots of scrambling over rocks--but I didn't try it, so I can't say if it was better (or worse) than it looked.
Are there any waterfalls at Wainapanapa?

Do you remember how long this took you and what time you started out and returned? Thank you!!
It was several years ago, so I don't remember the details of exactly how long it took. What I do remember is that our resort was on the other end of the island, yet we were able to drive the road to Hana & back within one day.

Just a note that there is a risk of leptospirosis (bacterial disease) from swimming in any fresh water in Hawaii. The advice is to not swim in fresh water if you have any open cuts and to not get the water in your mouth or eyes.

Just a note that there is a risk of leptospirosis (bacterial disease) from swimming in any fresh water in Hawaii. The advice is to not swim in fresh water if you have any open cuts and to not get the water in your mouth or eyes.
Thank you for this warning! So glad I asked!

We went to Maui two years ago, staying at the Andaz. We drove the full Road all the way to Hana. To drive it and see most of the highlights takes the full day. We downloaded an audio app that you listen while driving using the gps in your phone to navigate and narrate along the way. Highly recommend doing this. GyPSyguide.com It is narrated by a local and tells you (in his opinion) what is a must see and what is a waste. He also makes suggestions if you're time limited. Throughout the narration he is also giving you a history lesson on Hawaii, especially on the way back since already have seen most of the scenery.

Someone earlier mentioned going to the top of Haleakala for sunrise. In order to do this you have to leave very, very early depending upon where your hotel is located. We decided to see sunset instead. Just as fabulous but didn't have to get up so early. Did get back to our hotel late though.

Just because there are waterfalls listed near the road doesn't mean they will be running. The waterfalls are dependent on the water being let out of the irrigation canals on the farms. We went and there was no water at all. The road is also prone to landslides and can be closed unexpectedly.

Someone earlier mentioned going to the top of Haleakala for sunrise. In order to do this you have to leave very, very early depending upon where your hotel is located. We decided to see sunset instead. Just as fabulous but didn't have to get up so early. Did get back to our hotel late though.

We have opted for sunset instead of sunrise!
Just too early with a one year old! And I won’t have a sunrise to compare it to, so I’m sure it will be spectacular!!

Thanks for the advice!

We went to Maui two years ago, staying at the Andaz. We drove the full Road all the way to Hana. To drive it and see most of the highlights takes the full day. We downloaded an audio app that you listen while driving using the gps in your phone to navigate and narrate along the way. Highly recommend doing this. GyPSyguide.com It is narrated by a local and tells you (in his opinion) what is a must see and what is a waste. He also makes suggestions if you're time limited. Throughout the narration he is also giving you a history lesson on Hawaii, especially on the way back since already have seen most of the scenery.

This sounds awesome! We will definitely be limited on time because of a late start (flying in from Kauai that morning).
How long before your trip did you get it?
I wondered if it’s good for a certain amount of days/months before you need to renew it (guessing it costs some money?)

Thanks!

You could also get a hotel for a night in Hana
We would love to do that, however, our son flies out for the mainland at 10:30 pm that night. It’s also his only day on Maui and Road to Hana was his choice of activities.

This sounds awesome! We will definitely be limited on time because of a late start (flying in from Kauai that morning).
I wondered if it’s good for a certain amount of days/months before you need to renew it (guessing it costs some money?)

Thanks!
I've had it probably almost a year and it's still there; think it's just a one-time purchase. We got Gypsy and Shaka, but I honestly can't remember which one I liked best. My teens hated it because they wanted to listen to music instead lol!

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, we downloaded it a few days before we left. After we used it we enjoyed it so much we downloaded the one to go up Haleakala. It would have been cheaper to download them as a package. Online it's showing the Road to Hana is $5.99, Haleakala is $3.99 and to buy the entire island $9.99, which includes Hana and Haleakala

I see there's one for Kauai also! You could become an GyPSyguide aficionado.

If you go to the webpage gypsyguide.com, you can actually listen to some sample commentary. I just listened to some for Rocky Mountain NP since we live in Colorado. It's the same voice. I thought the guy narrating the Maui one was from Maui. So I pulled one up for Florida. Same voice! So I guess they are written by locals but narrated by the same guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!