Rome Excursion, Senior Citizens and Wheelchair ♿

Anne2K3

Earning My Ears
Hello from Alaska! :wave:This is my first thread so I appreciate your patience. I searched the boards, and was not able to find a comprehensive answer to what I looking for. I am interested in taking the Rome Escape sometime in the future to take my senior citizen parents to see the Vatican for the first time in their life. It has been a long time dream of my 80-year-old father to go there. This would be just the Rome Escape, and not a cruise or anything additional. My father can do a little bit of walking, but cannot do significant distances and flights of stairs. We have been looking at bringing a wheelchair ♿ for him. I have been to Rome a long time ago, so I am willing to miss some sights if my father is unable to reach certain areas so I can stay with him.

Has anyone here been on the Rome Escape or something similar? With a wheelchair, can we still do the Vatican? Should we use a motorized one or is a push one ok? What are some downsides or other possible concerns that might arise for those with disabilities visiting Rome?

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your responses. - Anne

Unfortunately, a lot of European tourist sites are not handicapped accessible. As you remember, streets are often made of uneven surfaces (Bricks, pavers, etc) that have worn over time. It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Rome, so things may have changed. Below are some things to consider as you plan:

1) Check the websites of the sites on the Rome Short Escape to see what they say about being handicapped accessible.
2) Call ABD to see what guidance they can give you. Of The 7 ABD trips I’ve done, there has only been one where a person had mobility issues. That was the Australia ABD. The gentleman on the tour used a walker and had a medical condition. The ABD guides were not able to help him board the bus or offer assistance with him getting around. That was done by his wife. There was a lot he didn’t do on the trip because places couldn’t accommodate him, I felt really bad for them because that trip was not cheap. When we went surfing, the surfing company did use a beach wheel chair to take him to the beach, but he later opted not to try the activity.
3) The Coliseum has steps that you have to navigate to reach the inside of the arena area. If I remember correctly, the only thing you can see there without walking up steps is the bottom level where the bathrooms and ticket counter are.
4) When I did the Italy ABD, we did a walking tour of Rome and it was long. We basically walked to the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain. The guide walked very fast (at least for me) and we were out for a couple of hours walking. I could not imagine pushing a wheel chair that distance or for that amount of time over uneven surfaces.
5) Check to see if you will be walking from the hotel to your activities each day or riding a bus. The wheelchair could be put under the bus, but it may not be feasible to do so with the scooter. You will have to check with ABD and see. The bus can only park in certain areas so we often had to walk a ways to get to the bus.
6) The Basillica doesn’t have many stairs in it, but is does getting to it. It will depend on which way you are routed. Likewise, the Vatican Museum is pretty flat but there are stairs in it. There are also stairs to navigate on the way to the Sistine Chapel. I don’t know if there is an alternate entrance for people with mobility issues.

I hope you are able to share this experience with your father. In my experience traveling internationally almost yearly with ABD, most of the sites we visit have lots of stairs and are not handicap accessible.

Last edited:
Europe is generally abysmal when it comes to ADA type accommodations that we are used to. That doesn't mean it's impossible. You might want to look into tour companies that specialize in accessible tours. I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but I do know they exist for other countries.

Do a google search specifically for wheelchair accessible tours in Italy and you'll find some websites with tour companies. It will take some research to find an itinerary that you're looking for, but it's worth a try. Good luck!

Unfortunately, a lot of European tourist sites are not handicapped accessible. As you remember, streets are often made of uneven surfaces (Bricks, pavers, etc) that have worn over time. It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Rome, so things may have changed. Below are some things to consider as you plan:

1) Check the websites of the sites on the Rome Short Escape to see what they say about being handicapped accessible.
2) Call ABD to see what guidance they can give you. Of The 7 ABD trips I’ve done, there has only been one where a person had mobility issues. That was the Australia ABD. The gentleman on the tour used a walker and had a medical condition. The ABD guides were not able to help him board the bus or offer assistance with him getting around. That was done by his wife. There was a lot he didn’t do on the trip because places couldn’t accommodate him, I felt really bad for them because that trip was not cheap. When we went surfing, the surfing company did use a beach wheel chair to take him to the beach, but he later opted not to try the activity.
3) The Coliseum has steps that you have to navigate to reach the inside of the arena area. If I remember correctly, the only thing you can see there without walking up steps is the bottom level where the bathrooms and ticket counter are.
4) When I did the Italy ABD, we did a walking tour of Rome and it was long. We basically walked to the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain. The guide walked very fast (at least for me) and we were out for a couple of hours walking. I could not imagine pushing a wheel chair that distance or for that amount of time over uneven surfaces.
5) Check to see if you will be walking from the hotel to your activities each day or riding a bus. The wheelchair could be put under the bus, but it may not be feasible to do so with the scooter. You will have to check with ABD and see. The bus can only park in certain areas so we often had to walk a ways to get to the bus.
6) The Basillica doesn’t have many stairs in it, but is does getting to it. It will depend on which way you are routed. Likewise, the Vatican Museum is pretty flat but there are stairs in it. There are also stairs to navigate on the way to the Sistine Chapel. I don’t know if there is an alternate entrance for people with mobility issues.

I hope you are able to share this experience with your father. In my experience traveling internationally almost yearly with ABD, most of the sites we visit have lots of stairs and are not handicap accessible.
Thank you so much! Your info is really helpful. 😊

Europe is generally abysmal when it comes to ADA type accommodations that we are used to. That doesn't mean it's impossible. You might want to look into tour companies that specialize in accessible tours. I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but I do know they exist for other countries.
That's a great idea! Thank you so much. 😊

Do a google search specifically for wheelchair accessible tours in Italy and you'll find some websites with tour companies. It will take some research to find an itinerary that you're looking for, but it's worth a try. Good luck!
Thank you so much. Yes, definitely going to need a lot of research on this. 😊

We were on the full Italy ABD trip a couple of years ago and a fellow tripped and fell and was so badly hurt he left the tour and was flown back to the USA for surgery. The roadways and walks were not smooth 2000 years ago and have not gotten better with age. Rome is not remotely handicapped friendly except at the train stations and hotels. Otherwise even the fully mobile have difficulty.

It can be done, but a private tour with a couple of assistants to help might be best.

DCL has been offering a lot more Accessible tours lately, so I checked their Rome area port excursions to see what they offered as an idea of what might be available. Unfortunately it is only one Accessible tour & that does not go to the Vatican. As noted already, looks like a lot of research is in your future :-)

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/civitavecchia-italy/
Edit - I also checked Tours by Locals, filtering to Accessible tours in Rome, and there Several tour options available. So private tours may be a viable option for you.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!