room meals

libby87

Earning My Ears
Hi Disney Experts,
I have been reading several entries regarding budgeting for meals and this is where we really need to focus now. Please give us any tips, links, ideas for meals in our rooms to help our travel budget. We will be driving down so any equipment suggestions would help. We are staying at All Star Sports in June. We also hope to be taking a plug in cooler to double as a travel essential and room fridge. Thought the money we bought it for would be more than made up by the fact we don't have to rent a fridge at !0.00 per day. Once again...any hints tricks or ideas would be welcomed.
My sincere thanks in advance!

I doubt that I have anything new to post on this topic...there was an excellent post awhile back that made me not even want to eat anywhere other than my room!!!
Don't recall the post but I'm sure you could find it somewhere on this board.
We are flying and will be shipping a "care package" to our resort to coincide with our arrival and also making a grocery stop on the way from the airport.
Will be shipping an inexpensive toaster and hot pot. The other poster suggested having a small George on hand.
We plan on doing breakfast in our room most mornings...bagels, pop tarts, cereal (put milk in your cooler...some have also mentioned a milk that does not need refrigeration...you put the container on ice)..toast, hot chocolate packets, etc.
We will also will be picking up some soup mixes, spaghettios..(love 'em), snacks, beverages, etc.
The biggest thing I can share is to bring your own bottled water..(lots of it)..the bottles cost $2-2.50 in the parks. We will bring small packets of Crystal Light with us to add to the free ice water that you can get in the parks.
Hope this is of some help....but please do look for that other post...I'm pretty certain it was on this very budget board.
Good Luck and have lots of fun!!!!!

Thank you!! I think I found the other post but if anyone else has other ideas they would be welcomed!

I would definitely plan on having the majority of breakfasts especially if you don't eat a lot when first waking in your room. You can bring along or purchase from the store at Publix or Super-Walmart for low prices such items as cereal, bagels, yogurt, juice, muffins, donuts, pop tarts, sausage biscuits, etc. along with other things to eat inside your room when first rising. Also some people carry along toasters, coffee pots, and even George Foreman grills even though I personally haven't before but said it worked out fine for them when they didn't want to eat out at restaurants for some days.

Also, you can eat some lunch meals in your room as well some of time if you want to save even more by fixing P&B, bologna, ham, or etc. sandwiches. Also, definitely plan on having some snack foods handy whether bought from home or while on vacation at the grocery store such as peanuts, cookies, chips, granola bars, fruit roll ups, pretzels, popcorn and the like. In addition pack some of these items to eat everyday while you are touring the parks because snacks inside are expensive especially when purchased on an almost daily basis. If you bring along water bottles for the day it also reduces the number of sodas that need purchasing.

In addition, try to restrict most WDW park restaurant meals to lunch because they seem to cost less than some of the dinner entrees. I would eat a lot of counter service fast food as well due to them being not only cheaper but also it saves on tipping. Since you are driving down I would pack a hard plastic cooler filled with any foods you are eating along the way or want to take down for having inside your hotel room and such as items that need chilling on ice during your stay such as milk, juice, etc.

Also, if you want to break away from the expensive dinner/late night meals at WDW as well as lunch or breakfast there are a host of restaurants that have buffet style and regular menus only 5 min outside the gates such as Shoney's, Golden Corral, Ponderosa, TGIF, Outback, IHOP and even fast food if desired. If eating at these places be sure to stop off and pick up some tourist booklets located inside the bins because they have money saving coupons.

Hope this helps; have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter