Rooms away from the DSA?

dawnball

<font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=
I have some lung damage that leaves me sensitive to inhaled particulates. Short term exposure (like walking through a smoking area, drift from fireworks, etc) doesn't cause me more than coughing and a mild headache. But having a room downwind of the designated smoking area (I'll be staying at Pop, with exterior corridors and room-level air intakes) can mean that I'm inhaling a lot of particulates overnight, and the need for an urgent care or telemedicine to get inhaled steroids/bronchodilators.

Is asking for "opposite side of the building from a DSA" a room request or do I need to call special needs booking?

Last edited:
As one of several medical requests for stays at WDW resorts, I request "away from designated smoking areas" due to allergy/sensitivity. I make the requests through special needs booking (now Disability Services) as there is a special form that is supposed to be filled out for medical requests that the regular reservation CMs do not always know how to fill out.

Also, the regular room request "space" in the Disney system is very short, not a lot of information can be put in it. The medical form allows them to put a LOT of information.

FWIW, I make the reservation normally through the WDW website, then call Disability Services and have the medical requests added to it.

SW

I have found that the problem to exposure lies with the actual placement of the DSA. At all stars, for example, the DSA is right on the path from the rooms to the main building(food court, buses). Unless you walk all the way around the outside of the resort, there is no way to avoid the smoke. I have e-mailed Disney with this issue and others need to also.

I have found that the problem to exposure lies with the actual placement of the DSA. At all stars, for example, the DSA is right on the path from the rooms to the main building(food court, buses). Unless you walk all the way around the outside of the resort, there is no way to avoid the smoke. I have e-mailed Disney with this issue and others need to also.

This!! ^^^ I have no idea why they positioned smoking areas on the main path like that. Never understood it. Very bad decision.

You can also look at a map and request specific rooms and I agree the designated smoking area locations can he problematic. Personally, I wish they would eliminate them and say no smoking on property period, not outside the parks, not at the resorts, etc.

Also be forewarned there is a smoke shop in Disney Springs that often leaves its doors wide open and even this has been known to be a trigger for us.

And can someone share the phone number for Disability Services? I think it would help many people.

You can also look at a map and request specific rooms and I agree the designated smoking area locations can he problematic. Personally, I wish they would eliminate them and say no smoking on property period, not outside the parks, not at the resorts, etc.

Also be forewarned there is a smoke shop in Disney Springs that often leaves its doors wide open and even this has been known to be a trigger for us.

And can someone share the phone number for Disability Services? I think it would help many people.

I would love to live in a world where no one smokes. But if you ban it completely, then people will just smoke wherever they want to. I just got back from a trip and there were several people who where smoking and vaping in the park. One guy in the Japan pavilion thought that he could "hide" around the side of one of the merchandise carts. Which is hilarious to me be because I guess these people don't realize that the rest of us can smell it from yards away. I think that it would be reasonable to put up a smoking area on the outskirts of the parking lot. Make a sheltered area for them. I know that even that will not stop some people because you will always have those that will do whatever they want cuz rules don't apply to them, type of thing. There was actually someone vaping on the plane going down there. The flight attendant made an announcement.

I wish they would eliminate them and say no smoking on property period, not outside the parks, not at the resorts, etc.
When 0% of the world population smokes, I'm sure places will. Until then, it's unlikely most publicly traded companies will eliminate smoking somewhere on its property. Especially when the property encompasses about twice the aea of Manhattan.

When 0% of the world population smokes, I'm sure places will. Until then, it's unlikely most publicly traded companies will eliminate smoking somewhere on its property. Especially when the property encompasses about twice the aea of Manhattan.
Actually, there are several publicly traded companies that already have done so, for example most Marriotts and a few other major hotel chains, including some of the resorts that are as large as Disney are now completely smoke free and to smoke you literally have to go out to the public sidewalk. Is it super common? No, but there are companies already doing this.

And technically businesses could ask if you smoke and refuse your business if you do, even if you have no intention of smoking on their property, as smoking is not considered a protected class as far as discrimination laws go.

Actually, there are several publicly traded companies that already have done so, for example most Marriotts and a few other major hotel chains,
Oh. When did Marriott expand its smoke-free policy to include all the grounds?
including some of the resorts that are as large as Disney
Extremely :confused3 Which Marriott properties encompass more than 40 square miles?

I stay at Marriott’s frequently for business travel, and I’ve never seen one that doesn’t have a designated smoking area on-property.

Also, businesses can’t just arbitrarily refuse service to someone, even if they aren’t part of a protected class.

Last edited:
Oh. When did Marriott expand its smoke-free policy to include all the grounds?

Extremely :confused3 Which Marriott properties encompass more than 40 square miles?
I meant they are the same size a any individual Disney Resort, i.e. some as large as say AKL or Pop Century and AoA combined.

And most Marriott's have expanded to this, there are a few that still have one smoking area that is well away from all guest traffic, not near entrances, etc. When they do have a DSA, it is usually near the trash dumpsters, which are placed way out of the way. And it has been this way for quite some time now. Oh and Holiday Inn just joined this crowd as of December, at least their express locations, they even forbid bringing tobacco, vaping or other types of smoking products (even where legal) into their rooms or you risk a $500+ fine per night!

I meant they are the same size a any individual Disney Resort, i.e. some as large as say AKL or Pop Century and AoA combined.

And most Marriott's have expanded to this, there are a few that still have one smoking area that is well away from all guest traffic, not near entrances, etc. When they do have a DSA, it is usually near the trash dumpsters, which are placed way out of the way. And it has been this way for quite some time now. Oh and Holiday Inn just joined this crowd as of December, at least their express locations, they even forbid bringing tobacco, vaping or other types of smoking products (even where legal) into their rooms or you risk a $500+ fine per night!
None of what you’re saying rings true of any of the Marriotts I stay at, and I’m in one in various cities every other week.

And do you have any kind of link regarding your claims about Holiday Inn not allowing smoking materials in the room? That’s not even believable.

Marriott must have never updated its website's smoking policy information https://www.marriott.com/marriott/smokefree.mi

HIExpress appears to be franchised, with tbe franchisee maling the determination. Here's one http://www.hiexdenverlittleton.com/our-hotel/policies that still offers some smoking rooms. This one https://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us...lkid=c18e1d6b7444185e4ccf433b73b722eb&srb_u=1 however appears to be, yes, completely smoke-free.

I find it extremely unusual that any hotel - individual or chain - would relegate any paying guest to any atypical area. Employees, sure. Trespassers, you bet. Hotel guets? Strange. Very strange. Link, please?

None of what you’re saying rings true of any of the Marriotts I stay at, and I’m in one in various cities every other week.

And do you have any kind of link regarding your claims about Holiday Inn not allowing smoking materials in the room? That’s not even believable.
There have been signs posted at the check in desk at several Holiday Inn expresses I have been to recently.

Marriott must have never updated its website's smoking policy information https://www.marriott.com/marriott/smokefree.mi

HIExpress appears to be franchised, with tbe franchisee maling the determination. Here's one http://www.hiexdenverlittleton.com/our-hotel/policies that still offers some smoking rooms. This one https://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/find-hotels/hotel/list?fromRedirect=true&qSrt=sBR&qIta=99504440&icdv=99504440&qDest=Chelmsford, MA, United States&setPMCookies=true&dp=true&msclkid=c18e1d6b7444185e4ccf433b73b722eb&srb_u=1 however appears to be, yes, completely smoke-free.

I find it extremely unusual that any hotel - individual or chain - would relegate any paying guest to any atypical area. Employees, sure. Trespassers, you bet. Hotel guets? Strange. Very strange. Link, please?
But they do indeed do so, now if it is a corporate policy or not, I can't tell you, I can just tell you multiple locations had the same or similar policy.

Actually, there are several publicly traded companies that already have done so, for example most Marriotts and a few other major hotel chains, including some of the resorts that are as large as Disney are now completely smoke free and to smoke you literally have to go out to the public sidewalk. Is it super common? No, but there are companies already doing this.

And technically businesses could ask if you smoke and refuse your business if you do, even if you have no intention of smoking on their property, as smoking is not considered a protected class as far as discrimination laws go.

My company (and we are in the Fortune 10) is one that allows no smoking on our property. And that includes sitting in your car in the company's parking lot. One must walk completely off the property to a public sidewalk or over to the very back of the property to an open area that is not ours to smoke. A hotel was built next door and they have had a harder time enforcing since the hotel arrived. Apparently sitting on a bench in front of our building next to a sign that says that we are a smoke free environment and no smoking is not enough of a clue to people not to smoke there. And they are hotel guests - I know the work people enough to recognize them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter