Rope Drop or Sleep in?

A little bit of both unless it is a short 2-3 day trip. I am naturally an early bird, but I like to have a day where I lounge a bit before getting ready and going for the day.

My normal inclination is to sleep in a bit. But we do both. And it depends a bit on who is traveling with us.

I've been with my family 5 times since I was 4 and I don't think we've ever made rope drop. Because I've never experienced it, I'm going to try and make rope drop every morning during my October trip except for the day I'm doing MNSSHP (since I'm not doing a park in the morning that day) I'm doing a short trip, so that really only ends up being 3 days.

Oh my gosh, we are rope drop people. I cannot even imagine sleeping in one day. There's so much we try to pack in since we never know when we might get back. Plus we go in summer so hot and crowded. We generally go early, hit the big rides, grab lunch, see a show, make sure we've done at least one thing for each person, & go back to pool in late afternoon. Dinner and a couple more rides before fireworks then off to bed.
The trip we took that was 6 days, we did plan a day for DTD (at that time). It was going to be a later morning for us. After we were there we switched it for a water park day. We were there at least 20 minutes before published hours too. Lounge chairs in shade go super fast. It an individual choice though.
The time we went with extended family, they slept in, we had hit the all the biggies before they even got to the park. We were ready for snacks and they were looking for breakfast. Then they were grumpy over not getting to see or do everything.

Sleep in.. I am not a morning person, Real life I wake up at 9:30am so there is nothing fun about getting up really early. I feel like a zombie just walking around ride to ride.. I'd rather wait a little longer in the afternoon and enjoy a couple less rides than be up early on vacation. I am a night owl and make pretty good use of the areas of parks that always empty out at night so I make it up then.

Last edited:
I plan to rope drop every day on my trip. The first few hours the park is open are when you can get the most done with or without FPP. Plus, the earlier the FPP reservations in the day the better, because once you use those, you can start reserving more for later in the day. If you are really good during the morning between RD and FPP, you will likely be able to make it back to your hotel later on for napping before heading back into the parks for evening festivities and dinner.

We call the first hour that parks are open "the magic hour." We can get 3 or 4 rides done in that one hour before the park is crowded, then we use our FPs and by then it's lunch. We snag another FP, then people watch, browse and hit the shows.

But if you want to sleep in, more power to you. That's one less family in the park!

Usually RD or shortly there after: FP+ are booked to start at 10am or later, so if I want to sleep in a bit I can and not miss any of the must-do's. I take mid-day resort breaks for a power nap, then head out again for the evening.

We didn't do rope drop but we didn't sleep in much either. We usually got to the parks maybe an hour after opening, this time around I'm planning on planning times a bit closer to rope drop.

We RD our 1st park day (AK or HS due to being the only 2 we can avoid RD madness :crowded: by getting there early enough to be in the front of a line), then sleep in every day after. (Well, my family sleeps in while I enjoy the resort with lazy coffee time :coffee:) We're major night owls and always go during later hours. Arriving a lil before midday means we're refreshed and ready to rock out til we totally shut the place down (we don't enjoy midday breaks). We'll do our initial FP's, then play FP roulette until the big crowds start to thin out. For us, we find the last 2hrs before closing to be way more fun (and more low waits/walks ons) than the first 2hrs after opening. Plus, we enjoy the late night atmosphere :rolleyes: We'll ride til they officially close, then meander around and shop until we catch the last bus back to the resort :lovestruc

We RD our 1st park day (AK or HS due to being the only 2 we can avoid RD madness :crowded: by getting there early enough to be in the front of a line), then sleep in every day after. (Well, my family sleeps in while I enjoy the resort with lazy coffee time :coffee:) We're major night owls and always go during later hours. Arriving a lil before midday means we're refreshed and ready to rock out til we totally shut the place down (we don't enjoy midday breaks). We'll do our initial FP's, then play FP roulette until the big crowds start to thin out. For us, we find the last 2hrs before closing to be way more fun (and more low waits/walks ons) than the first 2hrs after opening. Plus, we enjoy the late night atmosphere :rolleyes: We'll ride til they officially close, then meander around and shop until we catch the last bus back to the resort :lovestruc

^^^^^^^^^ Our routine exactly, right down to everyone sleeping except me with coffee time :D ^^^^^^^^^^

When we were making our on site vacation visits we would rope drop most of our park visits, usually taking advantage of the morning extra magic hour. To keep relaxation in the vacation we would take mid day breaks back at the resort. We would also plan a day to sleep in.

We got up early for rope drop as we enjoyed being in the park with fewer people and could get a lot done before the crowds built up late morning.

We are a rope drop to kiss goodnight kinda crew most trips. Though in Feb, we rope dropped and were out of the park around 6 most days, lol.

I find that I can accomplish WAY more getting there right for opening, in MK for example, heading straight to Frontierland, waits are minimal and you can accomplish everything there, pirates or JC, and head into Fantasyland for some lower waits before using fp's. Less people are inclined to get up early enough for the opening. There are days when we've arrived closer to 10am, and simply getting into the park is way more crowded and takes up so much time!!

Sleep in. I am so not a morning person. We take pretty long trips and stay until park close so we get everything done. Although with the earlier and earlier closes, that may change. I really miss the 12 to 3 EMH.:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter