Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

So last night InknBurn basically stole my hubby & I's idea of having a "formal 5k" and launched fancy running outfits. Ok...so I'm sure our idea is not that original seeing as lots of dudes run in tuxedo shirts.
But I just couldn't stop thinking about this lovely shirt...
fGkD8DUqrULtA1DqGvo78AzRmGeiEkBK77W1b-xhmV2Y1wAHbKA3hcUZKGvy2vr2NfFPBf83jcobkNjUdNkV_r85yXxGy4s38mZYnIe7ePHoNRz8_R9sFbTFVPwqAsgJjAS4N9a1KVuViDvuJ_tgqYIPJnqAr4otjUYTdkM=s0-d-e1-ft
W-Dapper-Shirt-front__19851.1493238292.200.200.jpg

It's sooooooo my kind of cuuuuuuuute! I even took my Ryu skirt that I got during the big clearance sale out for my run last night just to give it another chance because of the above cute pictures. Well the skirt only lasted .75 miles before I was back at home slapping on capris. I just think my thighs enjoy eating the under-shorts and then I'm just getting thigh on thigh rubbing which I'm not a huge fan of. But don't worry...I'm likely keeping that skirt for a cute thing to wear over my bathing suit to the beach/pool before taking it off to go into the water. And it may actually be cute for the driving range/golf too. It just aint so great for me unfortunately for running.

But...I've gone off track. Still was thinking about this cute shirt this morning. Thinking about how cute it would be to wear to the Rock N Roll race later in July because it just screams rockabilly to me (I had a rockabilly phase my sophomore year of college.) And then I started thinking about how cute it would look with my minnie mouse polka dot sparkle skirt for our fall race in WDW. I mean...it could go christmas or "fall" or even be spookied up. Imagine it with a pretty minnie fascinator headband! And then I got an email that our quarterly sales bonus will be good and my fingers slipped and I bought the shirt. Sorry @roxyhubby
Feel free to go buy this one if you want to make things even...
M-Dapper-Shirt-front__37072.1493228917.1280.1280.jpg

Those shirts are awesome! I have a tuxedo bike jersey that always gets lots of comments...it's fun pretending to be fancy :)

So last night InknBurn basically stole my hubby & I's idea of having a "formal 5k" and launched fancy running outfits. Ok...so I'm sure our idea is not that original seeing as lots of dudes run in tuxedo shirts.
But I just couldn't stop thinking about this lovely shirt...
fGkD8DUqrULtA1DqGvo78AzRmGeiEkBK77W1b-xhmV2Y1wAHbKA3hcUZKGvy2vr2NfFPBf83jcobkNjUdNkV_r85yXxGy4s38mZYnIe7ePHoNRz8_R9sFbTFVPwqAsgJjAS4N9a1KVuViDvuJ_tgqYIPJnqAr4otjUYTdkM=s0-d-e1-ft
W-Dapper-Shirt-front__19851.1493238292.200.200.jpg

It's sooooooo my kind of cuuuuuuuute! I even took my Ryu skirt that I got during the big clearance sale out for my run last night just to give it another chance because of the above cute pictures. Well the skirt only lasted .75 miles before I was back at home slapping on capris. I just think my thighs enjoy eating the under-shorts and then I'm just getting thigh on thigh rubbing which I'm not a huge fan of. But don't worry...I'm likely keeping that skirt for a cute thing to wear over my bathing suit to the beach/pool before taking it off to go into the water. And it may actually be cute for the driving range/golf too. It just aint so great for me unfortunately for running.

But...I've gone off track. Still was thinking about this cute shirt this morning. Thinking about how cute it would be to wear to the Rock N Roll race later in July because it just screams rockabilly to me (I had a rockabilly phase my sophomore year of college.) And then I started thinking about how cute it would look with my minnie mouse polka dot sparkle skirt for our fall race in WDW. I mean...it could go christmas or "fall" or even be spookied up. Imagine it with a pretty minnie fascinator headband! And then I got an email that our quarterly sales bonus will be good and my fingers slipped and I bought the shirt. Sorry @roxyhubby
Feel free to go buy this one if you want to make things even...
M-Dapper-Shirt-front__37072.1493228917.1280.1280.jpg

I loooove this new InB set! I too went through a rockabilly phase (or at least crushed on rockabilly boys and pretended I was one of them haha) I've also had a thing for retro stuff anyway. I told myself no new inknburn for a while, but this one is sure tempting me! I think the shirt with black capris would be so cute! You will look like Stockard Channing in Grease!

Great job on the first week back too!

Last edited:
Those shirts are awesome! I have a tuxedo bike jersey that always gets lots of comments...it's fun pretending to be fancy :)

I used to swing dance a ton in actual real fancy clothes and just destroy them with my beautiful sweat.
Too bad I didn't have a tech fabric wardrobe of fake fancy clothes at the time :)

I loooove this new InB set! I too went through a rockabilly phase (or at least crushed on rockabilly boys and pretended I was one of them haha) I've also had a thing for retro stuff anyway. I told myself no new inknburn for a while, but this one is sure tempting me! I think the shirt with black capris would be so cute! You will look like Stockard Channing in Grease!

Great job on the first week back too!

I'm starting to think we used to be the same person back in our youths. And I like the Grease reference! Now if I'm brave enough to wear red lip stain to an actual race or not....probably not.

I think it may be a "too big" thing..Like excess short fabric and when the thighs rub...up it goes. Have the same issue with swishy shorts though. Could be I just have ornery thighs. I'm tempted to put up a trade "my size 12 for a size 10...very open to it not being the exact same skirt" but not sure yet. I may just keep it as it is cute and long enough for a wear around the beach type like I said. It go nicely with my plain blue or plain black bathing suit. And I got it on clearance anyway.

I'm thinking black clam-digger length capris for rock n roll...to give off that Peggy Bundy vibe :) Gotta get a red or rock no roll sweaty band at the expo. And then slap a red or black flower up in the hair too.
Definitely try for a trade! You never know what people will come back with. :)

I'm guessing the 10 will work better!

I'm so tempted by that new InB set but I'm still struggling with the skirts too. I love the look of them and the lightweight fabric so much, but I also have a problem with the shorts riding up. I've tried two different sizes and they both seem to ride up equally. So, much as I love the look of this one, I think I'm going to skip ordering it. I just got the sunflower tank and my first set of the 6" shorts should be coming sometime soon as well, so I really need to stop with the running clothes purchases anyway!! But, I do think it's adorable!

So behind on this forum!
Lasik! Much better than either contacts or glasses.
DH has been pushing for me to do this for years, and really I should, but right now it's just money away from another vacation. LOL! Priorities right?!
plain baked potato
This is because you forgot the cheese, which makes everything better ;)

And I have loaded that INB outfit into my cart 3x already and then left the site. I really want it, but am still waiting on my Aloha box, so must. refrain. from. shopping.

So behind on this forum!

DH has been pushing for me to do this for years, and really I should, but right now it's just money away from another vacation. LOL! Priorities right?!

This is because you forgot the cheese, which makes everything better ;)

And I have loaded that INB outfit into my cart 3x already and then left the site. I really want it, but am still waiting on my Aloha box, so must. refrain. from. shopping.

Cheese does make everything better. Especially when it's the fake gooey orange nacho-ey cheese. mmmmm

I forgot about the Aloha box...I want to see so bad what is in there (I did not order it, I'm just nosey)

Is it a cold? Adventures of the dry-cough that won't stop.
And Tri-ing something new!

I mentioned tea drinking last week and having the start of some kind of something. Well it has been a weird dry cough out of nowhere and then I feel normal but tired. So since hubby had the same thing last week and it never turned fully evil...I'm hoping mines the same and goes away soon. I was happy to have a fairly easy schedule and happy the weather cooperated and wasn't too hot. So that my EA and EB paces were pretty accurate despite the not feeling 100%.
I did skip Thursday. It was the worst day of the cold and hubby had a major workout

ahem...Major Workout
giphy.gif

On Saturday @roxyhubby had an hour swim on the schedule "in open water if possible" and a brand new wetsuit ready to be tried out. So after soccer practice for kiddo and him trying to figure out how to go somewhere and get into the wetsuit on his own I offered up that we should just go with him. Pick a place and we'll lounge about after I zipped him in. So we packed up the car and headed to Ohio Street Beach in Chicago..aka the beach closest to Navy Pier and right by where all the big yachts park aka "the playpen"
Per Chris this is where the majority of the open water swimmers in Chicago head to get their workouts in and so thought he'd give it a go.
Traffic was a bit annoying. Luckily we found a reasonable (for Chicago standards) public parking garage and loaded our wagon full of kiddo's sand toys, towels and hubby's gear.
It was an easy walk and the beach was not crowded...probably because it was in the low 70's and the water was like 61.
We found a spot right by where all the other wetsuit wearing people were entering the water. Right next to the bike/jog path. Big fluffy clouds kept rolling by causing shade then sun off and on.
water3.jpg
I zipped up roxyhubby after he used sandwich baggies to get his feet in. We had done this once before at home as a dry run and I had said "this is gonna be exactly like getting on controlled top pantyhose"
The attempt on the beach went really easy and zipped him up no problem, but I don't know how anyone can zip in these things on their own...I guess without some practice. I did see lots of peeps zipping themselves but seemed like a great way to pull your shoulder out.
Roxyhubby looking dapper. I'm glad he wore that green cap..easy to spot him.
water1.jpg
There was one guy who emerged from the water in just a speedo. My head canon decided he was a James Bond villain swimming out of an underground sub that left from his secret private island.
Also...brrr
Hubby decided to swim down to the 1/2 mile buoy and back and then see how much time he had left before his hour was up.
This is what we did.
water2.jpg
That's a popsicle in my hand that I bought off a street vendor on a bike. Kiddo was only half interested in eating it. darn.
Note the two people lounging to our right in the pic above? They were using the wetsuits as pillows. I think almost everyone who came in would strip off their suit and either hang it on the railing or lay it on a towel and then just lay out in the sun for awhile. Lots of tri brand bags (I'm familiar...I read Triathlete magazine in the bathroom afterall) with hang tags from various ironman or triathlon type races.
And finally here's me trying to act casual while taking pics of the little locker area and railings for the swimmers. A bit farther down it was covered with suits drying.
water4.jpg
Hubby came back eventually and had shown me that the buoy we thought was 1/2 mile was only a qtr and I could barely see the 1/2 buoy he did swim to. And gosh you distance swimmers are impressive. I think at most I swim maybe three arm movements before going into my patented sea otter float.
I mean this is basically as close as I get to swimming...
giphy.gif

So that was our little adventure. If anything we know he won't be in the water as long for his Olympic Tri...so He's totally got this! And the wetsuit fit and felt good and he was "feeling buoyant." Said the water was clearer than his other open water experiences despite how gross I'm sure Lake Michigan over by the city must be. Let's not think about it.
Then he ran 7.5 miles yesterday and biked for a few hours. #wifebrag

This week is gonna be a grind for him with workouts every single day but today and then next week is taper. So I'll fit myself in where I can!

Roxy Training week #3
Mon 6/26: off, but I may do my Tue run tonight since hubby if off
Tue 6/27: 3mi EA (see above)
Wed 6/28: off
Thur 6/29: 4mi w strides
Fri 6/30: off
Sat 7/1: 3mi EA
Sun 7/2: 5 mi LR - hey LR pace is back! There's a running track I want to attempt to run to and back that didn't really make sense for anything less than 5 miles so I'm thinking of trying that out. It'll make more sense for like 8-10 mi runs+ but I kinda just want to see what getting there, doing a big lap and going home with net me in distance.

So that's it for me for right now. It's been a weird week with really busy stuff at work, not feeling great, and a loss in our family (it was expected but still quite sad) so I'm looking to be a positive person all week.

And yes, I accidentally ate some shoe string french fries at an outdoor eatery after our little beach visit. Didn't even think about until I got home. What can you do...at least I've been eating better SO MUCH BETTER so I'll allow it :)

What an awesome day! Love Chicago so much!! I'm so impressed with roxyhubby and his swimming abilities. No way I could swim that far. Also, I love popsicles and fries. YUM!

What an awesome day! Love Chicago so much!! I'm so impressed with roxyhubby and his swimming abilities. No way I could swim that far. Also, I love popsicles and fries. YUM!

It's pretty crazy that looking at the jog path next to the water that the 1/2 mile seems like a breeze (for running) and then thinking about swimming it...seeing how tiny the swimmers look in the water and it feels like it could be 10 miles. Not that I've experienced swimming that far, but just mentally it looks sooooos far.
I mean he swam in 55 minutes what he can run in 9 min! Crazy!!!

There's a running track I want to attempt to run to and back that didn't really make sense for anything less than 5 miles so I'm thinking of trying that out. It'll make more sense for like 8-10 mi runs+ but I kinda just want to see what getting there, doing a big lap and going home with net me in distance.

First, I'm sorry about your family's loss - expected or not, it is tough to say goodbye. Second, re: tracks - I really like doing that for my CVs. The high school near me is about a mile from my house if I enter on one side, about a mile and a half if I enter on the other side. Conveniently, that's about the distance of my WU/CD on my CV days. As much as I think track running may be kind of boring on non-CV days, I've been thinking about doing some of my shorter EA/EB runs there because I've got some nagging heel pain and it'll get me off the hills in my neighborhood and is a softer surface.

First, I'm sorry about your family's loss - expected or not, it is tough to say goodbye. Second, re: tracks - I really like doing that for my CVs. The high school near me is about a mile from my house if I enter on one side, about a mile and a half if I enter on the other side. Conveniently, that's about the distance of my WU/CD on my CV days. As much as I think track running may be kind of boring on non-CV days, I've been thinking about doing some of my shorter EA/EB runs there because I've got some nagging heel pain and it'll get me off the hills in my neighborhood and is a softer surface.

We have a bunch of high school tracks that unfortunately are usually either being used by the high school (how dare they!) or all locked up with no trespassing type signs. But there's two like big concrete/blacktop running loops (that's they best way to describe them) that go around park and soccer field areas near us...they just happen to both be at least a 1.5 or 2+ mile jogs away depending on the route. So I'm gonna test it out and see if they'd work for me for any purpose. Even if I were to drive to them at some point. I was thinking for tempo runs when the WU and CDs start getting long then it may work to tempo it out on a big loop (one is more a meandering rectangle with appendages and the other a traditional loop but it's .5 mile long)
Just always trying to add "newness" and "adventure" into the routine.

Great job on that OWS by @roxyhubby! 61 is dang cold, even for this Canadian...our cottage is right on Lake Huron so I feel your Great Lakes pain. The lake is beautiful but BRRRRR. I'm also jealous that you can just scoot over to get in an OWS with all kinds of like-minded crazies, that's pretty awesome. Zipping yourself up isn't really that difficult, just a bit of an awkward arm motion to get used to.

Looks like everyone had a fun day, good work Roxy Family!

Great job on that OWS by @roxyhubby! 61 is dang cold, even for this Canadian...our cottage is right on Lake Huron so I feel your Great Lakes pain. The lake is beautiful but BRRRRR. I'm also jealous that you can just scoot over to get in an OWS with all kinds of like-minded crazies, that's pretty awesome. Zipping yourself up isn't really that difficult, just a bit of an awkward arm motion to get used to.

Looks like everyone had a fun day, good work Roxy Family!

Yeah, I don't know if you'd like the water temp but there had to be at least 20 different OWS crazies (hey, a new acronym I can use!) over the course of us being there. Perhaps more...I don't know how many were already in the water. They just kept on coming though. At one point there were at least 4 of them rinsing sand off their suits in the shallow water and it looked like some kind of weird old-timey clothes-washing situation.
Roxyhubby did say at one point a bunch of "bros" were yelling encouragement from the bike path and he gave them a thumbs up mid stroke and they went crazy. Pretty funny.

So cool to think about all of these brave open water swimmers. I could never do that. Love how much you two support each other in your racing goals!

Oh yeah, me too. I could barely tolerate being up to my calves in it! And thanks!

Last night I ran my 3 miles (teeny bit too fast) in the beautiful breezy weather and this morning hubby ran for an hour at 5:15am. Then tonight he has to swim at the pool. We are some kind of active people now I'd say.

Rock n Roll Waivers have arrived! Looks like I've improved on my starting position a little bit.

5k I'm in Corral 4! (last year was 6 I believe and previous was 7)
10k I'm in Corral 9! (last year I was 16)

So that's both fun an exciting. Rock N Roll doesn't ask for proof but I've always gone with honesty is best policy and used my 10k & 5k new PRs. Woot Woot!

Ok so looks like there are only 6 corrals for 5k this year and only 20 for 10k/half. So either less people overall or just bigger individual corrals. So I'm very likely right around where I was last year anyways. Although maybe a bit more ahead for the 10k. But that's ok :)

This isn't as much fun as obsessing over rundisney corrals because as far as I know there won't be any character stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!