Rude Passengers - Magic Feb 10th sailing

pearljammer

DIS Veteran
I feel as though the cruise we just got off of had the rudest cruisers and I’m at a loss as to why it seemed that way. There were a LOT of first time cruisers and I know people get overwhelmed and lose their patience as it’s a lot to take in for first time cruisers.

There are 2 moments I’ll likely never forget though of all the moments experienced. And this is the condensed version.

1 - We went to the theatre and as most of you know, on the Magic, there is NO leg room. Your knees are literally sitting against the back of the chairs in front of you. So, we had sat down behind a lady and her husband, now they had an empty chair between them. Now this was for Frozen II and the theatre was packed. A gentleman needed to get across to his family so I stood up to let him pass. Well, I must have bumped the seat in front of me by accident ( I have no recollection of doing so ) but when I sat down, the lady in front of me, pushed back hard on her seat, hitting my knee. ”Okay“ I thought, I must have bumped her seat. I thought this was rude but whatever. Then a lady and her daughter came and sat on the other side of me causing me to get up once again to let them pass. Yet again, when I sit, the lady starts slamming her back into the seat, pushing the seat into now both that lady and my knees. Needless to say, the entire movie, she kept purposely slamming her seat back, effecting the lady next to me more than me as I had to sit sideways to move my knees out of the way. I mean, there is NO room to move like it is. It made the experience a horrible one and we never went back. While we had wanted to see another movie, but no way......figured we would rather rent it.

2 - We got our chairs on CC before the 5k. Came back and granted all the chairs were VERY close together on the beach. When we got back, there was a couple next to us with a kid. There was barely 5 inches between our chairs (with empty chairs around mind you). OKay, no worries. We go Get in the water for a bit and come back and their family had joined them. Well, the family had taken the chairs on the other side of us and tried to take our chairs even with our stuff sitting in them! (Yes, they were sitting in them, with our stuff still in the chair) So we asked for our chairs. We sat there a bit and the grandmother (now they are a family of about 4 adults with a set of grandparents), sets her chair RIGHT in front of my sons chair (1 of our 3 lined up in a row) and there was no room for his legs to go straight out. So the family is then yelling across us to talk instead of just moving their chairs closer to talk. I mean.......it’s a BIG beach area...... 2 of the adults were constantly coughing (sounded like a smokers cough) right on us. Not only this but the grandmother kept glaring at us as though we came and invaded their personal space and crashed their paid party. Needless to say, we moved Down the beach.

3 - We had gotten chairs on the pool deck under the funnel vision and had our stuff in our chairs and on the floor by the chairs as well. Left for about 10 minutes to grab food, ,came back and found a couple all kicked back in our chairs. I actually had to do a double take as I was baffled. The stuff in our chairs was on the ground.

This is only a part of our experience. I have no idea what’s going on but there were a LOT of rude cruisers. Now Magic is a much smaller boat so when older people are in these large electric wheelchairs and stop in the middle of the hallway to talk To their family in the hallway. No one can get around you until you move!! Nope. No clue, we were on their time. Did they move? Nope. Even we, while walking would move over to the edges if people are coming to make room so it’s a matter of being aware of your surroundings and being polite.

Sorry about your experience. #1 baffles me as how anyone could be offended when people are moving through the aisle. #2 unfortunately doesn't surprise me because I had people walk up and try to sit down in my chair with me standing 15 feet away in the water throwing a football to my son. #3 doesn't bother me too much. Too many people leave stuff on pool deck chairs all day for me to view anyone has having the right to stake out a pool chair for long periods of time. After standing there for 10-15 minutes, I would move stuff off of chairs too (or ask a CM to do it). Who knows if I showed up 10 seconds after you left or 2 hours? If you are just grabbing food and coming back, leave one person at the chairs to remove the possibility that you staked out your chairs at 6:30 am and don't plan on coming back until that evening.

Sorry you experienced all this on one cruise and I hope your next cruise will be better for you.

#1. Yes the rows are very close together and certainly not everyone is as considerate as we would hope them to be. First time it happened shame on them. Second time it happened shame on you because you did not say something to them the first time! I've had this happen myself and found that a very polite comment to them in a soft tone explaining the situation was all that was needed.

#2. You did the best thing finally moving down the beach even though you were there first! Fussing and fretting about it is just not worth it when you are in Disney's paradise for only one day.

#3. Next time, grab your food first and then go find a lounge chair. Problem avoided.

#4. Whether the person in the wheelchair is old or young, the same thing can happen. Just remember they are not doing it to aggravate you in any way - they're just not thinking of the surroundings. Again, a polite word and the hallway will open up for you to pass. A thank you wouldn't hurt either as you passed by and maybe it will serve as a reminder to them the next time.

People are amazing, aren't they? I hope the rest of your cruise was fun.
Oh yeah, it was still great. Thanks!

Merely throwing out things as They were fresh. It’s not like it ruined anything for us, just things that stood out for me personally. We still had a great time, it just made us think outside the box. I realize some folks may not realize the corridor space as they are likely caught up in their thoughts as it can be overwhelming.

Quick question for you about the theater. Were you seated in the last row? That last row on the classics has less leg room than the rest of the theater. While none of the aisle/rows are expansive that one is particularly tight. If you were in that row she probably did not realize that you had less space than she did. That does not excuse her behavior.

I’ll quickly duck into a movie on those ships and often being late or just stopping in, means that I often get that last row. Usually, I make some quick comment about the lack of space and/or “apologize” ahead of time to the person in front of me, saying something like “oh, I forget this was the small row, (the to the person) sorry if I bump you, but my legs barely fit in this row”. It is not uncommon for them to turn around and be surprised at how tight that row is.

Quick question for you about the theater. Were you seated in the last row? That last row on the classics has less leg room than the rest of the theater. While none of the aisle/rows are expansive that one is particularly tight. If you were in that row she probably did not realize that you had less space than she did. That does not excuse her behavior.

I’ll quickly duck into a movie on those ships and often being late or just stopping in, means that I often get that last row. Usually, I make some quick comment about the lack of space and/or “apologize” ahead of time to the person in front of me, saying something like “oh, I forget this was the small row, (the to the person) sorry if I bump you, but my legs barely fit in this row”. It is not uncommon for them to turn around and be surprised at how tight that row is.
Yes, actually we WERE in the last row. So maybe you are right, she may not have realized we had less leg room as we certainly didn’t realize they had more. We had not been on the magic in quite a few years (before the refurb where the aqua dunk was added) so I couldn’t remember those details. Glad you pointed that out though....

We sailed the magic last year for spring break - we are normally cruisers on the fantasy. We had some of the same feelings. The ship was full of first time cruisers, and just had a different vibe than our normal cruise. We decided the magic wasn’t for us.

We have cruised on the Magic many times, all 5 days to 15. It is by far our favourite ship. My daughter noticed on a shorter Wonder 4day cruise, and shorter cruises in general, that there were many first time cruisers who let their kids run a bit wild. On our last 5 day, many were still saving seats for the evening shows without regard for the constant announcements not to do so. It does get annoying when half a row is empty with people spaced out telling others all the seats are taken. Often their party would show up just before the show began.

A lot of these complaints don't really seem to be "first time cruiser" complaints but more just people who aren't considerate towards others. I don't think whether you've cruised before really makes a difference. We just came back from our first cruise and most people onboard had cruised before - in fact at check-in at the port the Castaway Club line was HUGE and we were the only people to get in the first time cruiser line so we walked right up to the desk! We still saw plenty of people saving seats in the theater, people hogging the pool chairs all day when they weren't really using them, etc. We don't sweat the small stuff though so it didn't bother us at all!

on the Magic, there is NO leg room.

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences.

I'm wondering - were you sitting in the last row of the theater? Those seats have much less leg room than then other rows. Unless they've changed the seats in the Buena Vista, they aren't rocking seats, so I'm unsure how she could push her seat back into you.

Also, regarding leaving things in the chairs at the pool, then leaving the pool to get food, many people feel that's not appropriate.

Not just DCL, but, yes, there are rude people everywhere. I hope you plenty of other (good) experiences.

We cruise just to go chill out. Still you always notice some guests really don't have a clue. On our recent Wonder cruise there was a family sitting on the floor next to the entrance of Walt Disney Theater with plates of what looked like chicken wings on the carpet. The ships are so elegant and to imagine thinking this would be a nice spot for dinner was amazing. Oh well.

We have cruised on the Magic many times, all 5 days to 15. It is by far our favourite ship. My daughter noticed on a shorter Wonder 4day cruise, and shorter cruises in general, that there were many first time cruisers who let their kids run a bit wild. On our last 5 day, many were still saving seats for the evening shows without regard for the constant announcements not to do so. It does get annoying when half a row is empty with people spaced out telling others all the seats are taken. Often their party would show up just before the show began.

It's not just shorter cruises. We've had problems with kids running up and down the halls and playing on the elevators on longer cruises.

Specifically about the pool seats, I know it's always difficult to put the line between “it's rude” and “it's not”, as far as we're concerned we never leave them seat out of sight. If we need to grab some drink or food, one of us stays by the seat. We feel that, should everyone does the same, everyone would benefit.

OP, I totally get that you weren't trying to “reserve” seats but we've seen guests try so many times… usually if we see a seat taken for more than a few minutes without anyone actively using it, we ask a CM, most of whom do not care, and we kindly free the seat for ourselves. (Never once has anyone bumped into us saying it was theirs.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter