Rude Passengers - Magic Feb 10th sailing

A cruise ship (any line I'm guessing, some more than others) is a microcosm of real life
You'll see similar behavior as described at restaurants (ppl chewing loudly), theaters (texting, ppl talking), the gym (ppl not wiping down the eq. after using it, grunting), on the roads, etc.

Some egregious behavior on the ship do merit some complaining/addressing (e.g: moms letting their little angels swim in the pool in diapers - that's a major pet peeve of mine, seen it several times and I always complain directly or to a CM)
but what was described here by OP are imo just minor nuisances.

I'm a semi misanthrope but I've learned to be patient with other ppl otherwise I'd go insane.

Last edited:
From someone who worked in the kitchen industry while in college it actually helps clear faster to properly stack plates for the servers. Again it needs to be properly or it will fall over
That was my first thought too - is that what the PP meant? We do this all the time when we're at restaurants and I assumed we were being helpful!!

My other thought is possibly her kids are stacking empty plates/cups/silverware before food is served on them?

I find the movie theater experience aboard DCL to be a major party atmosphere with not many people following typical movie theater etiquette. This really applies first-run movies and those super close to release day. I tried to watch The Force Awakens and it was jam packed with people sitting on the steps to watch the film. People were constantly getting up and down and as the OP has stated...there is no leg room so you have to get up to let the people go by. I guess I picked the wrong row because it happened at least 20 times. It was impossible to enjoy the film. People are also on their phones, talking etc.

Adam Hattan is a vlogger from the UK and just got back from his cruise on the Dream. He had to leave Frozen II because he had a very similar experience. It really is frustrating.

Was there actually room in the elevators for a wheelchair and companion? The doors close at a certain time from opening, I don't think anyone could make them close faster.

Every elevator I have ever been on has had a door close >II< and a door open I<>I button. Granted the door close button isnt instantaneous but if someone pressed it another person with mobility issues wouldnt be able to get in most likely.

Nope, not what I said. Read it again.

For what its worth, OP, I read it the same way. There is some ambiguity in what you wrote. And your reply here seems like a huge (rude) overreaction to what the PP wrote because they even leave room for possibly misinterpreting what was said.

I've got to ask, I'm really curious as to what you mean by "Don't stack your plates at the table." Everything else you mentioned I heard myself saying to my kids, but that one threw me off and I wasn't sure what you meant by it!

I'm a plate stacker at buffet type restaurants or quick serve places. Id do it at Cabanas but not the MDR. But I also feel like I do a good job at it. LOL

I'm a plate stacker at buffet type restaurants or quick serve places. Id do it at Cabanas but not the MDR. But I also feel like I do a good job at it. LOL
I guess I’ve never even thought about it and it would never even cross my mind that it could possibly be considered rude! (Hence my initial confusion!) I guess I look at it as trying to be helpful and I think there’s a part of me that feels a bit uncomfortable having people “serve” me so I probably try to put myself on the same level as the server a bit more. I mean, every restaurant I go to, the server stacks the plates when they clear them so I guess I feel like I’m eliminating extra work for them! It feels more rude (to me personally) to just sit there and let them grab everything without helping!

I guess I’ve never even thought about it and it would never even cross my mind that it could possibly be considered rude! (Hence my initial confusion!) I guess I look at it as trying to be helpful and I think there’s a part of me that feels a bit uncomfortable having people “serve” me so I probably try to put myself on the same level as the server a bit more. I mean, every restaurant I go to, the server stacks the plates when they clear them so I guess I feel like I’m eliminating extra work for them! It feels more rude (to me personally) to just sit there and let them grab everything without helping!
Former waitress here—I think there is a fine line. Putting a bread plate on a salad plate. Not a problem. Stacking heavy full size dinner plates—not easy for me to lift one handed and balance on the tray with other stuff (as opposed to separate plates, which I can position to balance them out one by one). But in neither case would I view it as “rude” in either case it is doing my job to clear the plates, stacked or no.

Sidebar aside. Going back to OPs points: (1) the theater rows are definitely too small and are not helped by rude people. On our last cruise a mom and her teen refused to stand up to let us by and I tripped and fell trying to squeeze by and got a huge bruise. (2) I don’t get what is rude about the beach family—they can’t help coughing and so what if they are talking loudly because they are split up—with large groups it can be hard to find spots together with shade. I also think it is very unclear about who can use those chairs: I’ve seen lots of families collect chairs from nearby loungers to get the right number fir their group. (3) I agree with OP: the people who dump belongings on floors at the pool are out of line. It’s gotten to where to where can’t leave to use the restroom without your stuff getting dumped. People should talk to CMs rather then “taking the law into their own hands”. (4) It doesn’t bother me if folks pause and temporarily block the hall—a simple excuse me should suffice to have them move aside so you can get around. No different than having to get around the housekeeping cart. I do dislike it when people pile up dirty dishes on the floor outside their room though—is it so hard to make a call to room service to have them clear your dishes?

Maybe the plate-stacking at the table is with food on the ones underneath, and maybe even a fork stuck in between, too. I'd get annoyed at that at home or out. I hate finding someone's left their dishes in the sink (or counter with food on it and then put other plates on top with food on them, too. Worse, when they're balancing on the fork and knife. If you're going to go to the trouble to be 'helpful', do the job right. Otherwise, just leave it.

My wife, a first time cruiser: What are you reading about?

Me, also a first time cruiser: Just stuff for the cruise.

Her: Anything interesting?

Me: So at the pool, if you swim or get a drink or do the slide, someone is probably going to either hate you or steal your chair. Also, apparently it's not okay to stack plates in the restaurants. Like each plate should stay on the table at all times until the server moves it, I guess. Must be a cruise thing. Also, the movie theater has narrow rows and no leg room.

Her: So, just like any other movie theater?

Me: Right...

Stacking your plates in a restaurant is rude. I know a lot of people do it but it’s gross!

Why is it gross? I only do it when there isn't enough room on the table (there are 5 of us) and the bussers aren't clearing. Sure, I suppose that's rude and sends a signal that the staff isn't keeping up...but I also sometimes need a place to put my wine glass, you know?

The reasoning is that if you are doing the bussers job for them it is indicating that you think service is too slow or lacking.

My wife, a first time cruiser: What are you reading about?

Me, also a first time cruiser: Just stuff for the cruise.

Her: Anything interesting?

Me: So at the pool, if you swim or get a drink or do the slide, someone is probably going to either hate you or steal your chair. Also, apparently it's not okay to stack plates in the restaurants. Like each plate should stay on the table at all times until the server moves it, I guess. Must be a cruise thing. Also, the movie theater has narrow rows and no leg room.

Her: So, just like any other movie theater?

Me: Right...

We did a behind the scenes tour on the Magic and were told those last seats were purposely made more uncomfortable, to mimic the theaters of yore when they thought it appropriate to give late comers (who would be seated in the back) worse seating as punishment.

The reasoning is that if you are doing the bussers job for them it is indicating that you think service is too slow or lacking.

I bussed tables as a waiter for years and never felt that way personally. In my experience in this situation, when the restaurant is busy and service gets slow, rather than being passive aggressive and stacking plates, properly rude people roll their eyes, call the waiter out on being slow, mention how easy the job is, and leave a bad tip.

Is it rude to tidy up a room before it’s serviced? Stack towels in one spot, for example? Does that offend the person cleaning your room?

I was a dishwasher in college. I've seen the whole gamut of people returning trays/plates after eating. The ones who took a few seconds to put some semblance of order to their dishes were the ones I appreciated the most.

I've also bused tables in college. At restaurants, I've watched plates, silverware, and glasses being removed. The tables where everything is strewn about the table almost always cause problems. It takes time to pick up everything that way. I appreciated those that took time and gave a little consideration to make my job easier. I never took it as a comment about the speed at which I was working.

When my wife and I go out, I will always stack similar plates together. I'll group the silverware together on one of the plates. I've had people express appreciation for that and I've never once had anyone even hint that this wasn't a good thing.

I bussed tables as a waiter for years and never felt that way personally. In my experience in this situation, when the restaurant is busy and service gets slow, rather than being passive aggressive and stacking plates, properly rude people roll their eyes, call the waiter out on being slow, mention how easy the job is, and leave a bad tip.

Is it rude to tidy up a room before it’s serviced? Stack towels in one spot, for example? Does that offend the person cleaning your room?
That wasnt my thoughts on the matter, just why the etiquette rule was in place. Its probably left over from a time when there werent so many buffets and quick service/ full service blend restaurants!

And dont ask me about the hotel rooms. I leave them pretty tidy. When we had dogs they were often cleaner when we left than when we arrived as I had to make sure they wouldnt eat anything harmful that they found. I come by it honestly at least. My parents will go so far as to sometimes empty the trash before they leave a hotel room. LOL

That wasnt my thoughts on the matter, just why the etiquette rule was in place. Its probably left over from a time when there werent so many buffets and quick service/ full service blend restaurants!

And dont ask me about the hotel rooms. I leave them pretty tidy. When we had dogs they were often cleaner when we left than when we arrived as I had to make sure they wouldnt eat anything harmful that they found. I come by it honestly at least. My parents will go so far as to sometimes empty the trash before they leave a hotel room. LOL
Similar here with the hotel room. Okay, I don’t empty the trash though. However, we always tidy up and put things away before we leave our room for the day. I also wipe down all the surface, except the floor, with disinfectant wipes. DD always says that the room is cleaner after us staying there. Lol!

I did not think my mentioning stacking plates at the table was so controversial! I was taught from a young age that stacking plates at the table was unacceptable. Fine to stack them once they leave the table. I do sometimes see waiters stacking plates at the table as they pick them up and this makes me cringe. Lol. Usually this is at casual restaurants where service is at a minimum— no problem about minimum service, just stating. Also, if you work in fine dining, staff is reprimanded by management if any plates are stacked on the table by customers. Staff should remove your plate right as you finish. There should be no opportunity to stack plates.

But my real pet peeve is feet on the furniture and people sprawling out on chairs in public as though in their own bedroom. When we were kids our teachers used to repeatedly say, “Feet are for floors.” And, “Sit properly in your chair.” It is just drilled into my head. But I think most of the general population did not and do not hear these basic lessons. In some ways I think I would have been happier living during another time period. Lol.

I don't know, if someone was assaulting my knees repeatedly with their char, I think I'd have some very non-Disney words for them.
Likewise, sitting ON my stuff. Moving it? Sure. Sitting in the chair on TOP of it? No

Some egregious behavior on the ship do merit some complaining/addressing (e.g: moms letting their little angels swim in the pool in diapers - that's a major pet peeve of mine, seen it several times and I always complain directly or to a CM)
but what was described here by OP are imo just minor nuisances.

I'm a semi misanthrope but I've learned to be patient with other ppl otherwise I'd go insane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter