Rule Against Kids Riding on Laps one wheelchairs?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennyliztx

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are currently on vacation at Disneyland. My husband is a quadriplegic who uses a motorized wheelchair. We always bring a stroller, but occasionally one of our two younger children rides on his lap.

Twice now, at security, one of the officers has told my husband that our child has to get off his lap and that disney has a rule against kids riding on laps in wheelchairs. Both times we have completely ignored hem and told our kid (whichever one was riding) to get back on if they want as
This is obviously a parenting decision.

We are both horribly offended at this overreach. Our kids have ALWAYS ridden on my hsuband’s lap periodically while at Disney and we have gone for the past seven years straight (to both DL and WDW). We have never heard of this before.

Is this new?

If he hits a bump or a track in the road and the child falls off and gets hurt, they probably see that as a liability. With the uneven sidewalks and brick and stone, and the tracks in the street it’s probably not something I’d want to do there. It’s just not smooth. My stroller wheels get stuck in tracks and cracks all the time, especially when people cut you off without a care.

I wouldn’t be offended, or take it personally. They are looking out for themselves. That’s part of security’s job, to make sure no one gets hurt so the lawyers don’t get called.

This is straight from Disney's Park Rules on their website under Prohibited Items:

"Devices should be single rider."

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/
I tried to put a screenshot of it in but it's not working, sorry.

No more than one person is permitted on a mobility device. This isn't a parenting decision, it's a Disney policy for safety. There have been several accounts of injuries (both to those on the device as well as other guests) when more than one person is on a device. With it being motorized, that risk is greater. While choosing whether or not to follow park rules is a decision you're free to make, they are free to kick you out should they choose for not following those rules.

Attachments

• IMG_20180614_010015.jpg
    IMG_20180614_010015.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 19
Horribly offended? How dare they enforce rules they set for their parks. I'm sure if something happened in which your husband or lap child was injured while riding tandem, you'd be perfectly fine if Disney didn't take ownership of the situation and you weren't allowed to sue them for any injuries as a result of the accident.

Hello,

We are currently on vacation at Disneyland. My husband is a quadriplegic who uses a motorized wheelchair. We always bring a stroller, but occasionally one of our two younger children rides on his lap.

Twice now, at security, one of the officers has told my husband that our child has to get off his lap and that disney has a rule against kids riding on laps in wheelchairs. Both times we have completely ignored hem and told our kid (whichever one was riding) to get back on if they want as

We are both horribly offended at this overreach. Our kids have ALWAYS ridden on my hsuband’s lap periodically while at Disney and we have gone for the past seven years straight (to both DL and WDW). We have never heard of this before.

Is this new?

Nope.

It's actually been policy for a quite a while. In fact, the first time I rented a Parks ECV, years ago, the first thing the CM told us was "one seat, one rider!". And it's quite clearly spelled out on Disney's site(s) in their policies and rules. And even if it *was* new, you should have listened to the personnel who asked you and your husband to abstain from this behavior. Trust me, Disney CM's rarely call anyone out unless they feel there is a real safety issue.

So - sorry, but this is neither a "parenting decision", or overreach. It's a safety-related rule. Just because YOU have never heard of it does not make it any less valid. And just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean that you should encourage your children to both break the rules, and disrespect the Disney Cast Members who are trying to keep them safe.

Other members of this forum have seen - in person - the results when a child is thrown from a personal mobility device, and the very real injuries that occurred. You will find very little sympathy here for your position, and personally, I hope you tell your children that Mommy was WRONG, and that we need to listen to the Cast Members at Disneyland when we visit for our safety.

You don't have to like the rules at Disneyland or Disney World - but you, like everyone else here, has to abide by them.

Hello,

Is this new?

I'd be concerned that the child could accidentally hit the control for the wheelchair and cause an accident. Do you have good insurance? You should, especially since Disney's policy (and you are aware of it) is no double riders, and you are going against that rule and would be liable for any injury or damage caused. That could be really expensive. Actually, since you are going against policy, insurance might not even cover it.

Also, setting the precedent that you don't have to follow stated rules in society? Not really a good example for your kids, is it?

Follow the rules will please some you've been told twice. For the safety of your children AND other guests! Not right to jeopardize your children's safety and that of others. It is not a parenting decision - it is a rule enforced at Disney. Not your choice to make.

Not a good example to set for the children either acting as if you are exempt from the rules. If they are too tired to walk get a stroller. Terrible example to show your kids

Last edited:
their park, their rules. it is neither a new policy nor is it an overreach. as for you blatantly ignoring that.. welp third time is the charm and don't come in here whining when security kicks you out with no refund for repeatedly disregarding their instructions. know how when on board an airplane the cabin crew is god? pretty nearly the same thing here.

Hello,

If I were the security agent, I'd have you removed from the park with no refund for refusing to follow safety directions.

Out of curiosity, for those who use a motorized wheelchair full-time (not an ECV but the standard motorized type - I can't think of what it's called if it has a different name), is this a common rule in other places such as airports, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.? I'm just thinking that folks who use this full-time and perhaps are used to carrying their young child with them in their lap (is this typical?) would be surprised by Disney's rules on this?

I agree with not disobeying the park policy. I think it's a good issue to bring up at Guest Services while you're there so perhaps you'd get a better understanding of why they do it, and you can explain yourself as well so you can give them feedback directly.

Out of curiosity, for those who use a motorized wheelchair full-time (not an ECV but the standard motorized type - I can't think of what it's called if it has a different name), is this a common rule in other places such as airports, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.? I'm just thinking that folks who use this full-time and perhaps are used to carrying their young child with them in their lap (is this typical?) would be surprised by Disney's rules on this?

I agree with not disobeying the park policy. I think it's a good issue to bring up at Guest Services while you're there so perhaps you'd get a better understanding of why they do it, and you can explain yourself as well so you can give them feedback directly.
Most malls and stores are not as crowded as Disney even airports are not and they normally have people going in two directions so you do not have people crossing in front of you as often

I have seen a bad accident because some mom did not think her child needed to get off her lap. I will not go into detail but it was bad one and other gust ended up hurting the mom

As far as Disney policy goes, this is a grey area. I actually called them about this issue on my previous visit, and got a similarly wishy-washy answer. Basically, the rule is that wheelchairs should be single rider, but Disney will determine if everyone seems safe. I was babywearing my infant daughter in my wheelchair, and we were generally fine, but ran into issues with transportation (actually got a manager called on me because they wouldn't let me board the bus, even if I would transfer to a regular seat - the manager ended up apologizing profusely).

I think that it is harder to argue for the safety of an older child who isn't being worn or strapped in with the adult. For example, when my daughter outgrows my baby carriers at around 2 years old, I won't try riding with her anymore.

The other side, the definitely-not-a-grey-area side, is when you switch from talking about a manual wheelchair to any type of power chair or ECV. Disney's policy on these is clearly that they must be single occupancy.

As far as the idea that parents should be able to determine the risks for their own children - that's a slippery slope that Disney definitely isn't going to head down. If parents are able to override Disney's policies at their own discretion, then rules of any sort can no longer be enforced. Height restrictions, off-limits areas, etc, couldn't be enforced if it was up to parental discretion whether to enforce these rules for their own children

As far as Disney policy goes, this is a grey area. I actually called them about this issue on my previous visit, and got a similarly wishy-washy answer. Basically, the rule is that wheelchairs should be single rider, but Disney will determine if everyone seems safe. I was babywearing my infant daughter in my wheelchair, and we were generally fine, but ran into issues with transportation (actually got a manager called on me because they wouldn't let me board the bus, even if I would transfer to a regular seat - the manager ended up apologizing profusely).

I think that it is harder to argue for the safety of an older child who isn't being worn or strapped in with the adult. For example, when my daughter outgrows my baby carriers at around 2 years old, I won't try riding with her anymore.

The other side, the definitely-not-a-grey-area side, is when you switch from talking about a manual wheelchair to any type of power chair or ECV. Disney's policy on these is clearly that they must be single occupancy.
I was told by a manifest that if the child head is below your head then you were ok to have the child on your lap. If the child head was at your chin or higher then you were not

I totally get that someone who uses a wheelchair or ECV all the time and doesn't have to do it at the store, the bank, or the airport might be surprised by it. I especially get that someone who has made numerous trips to Disney and has never had an issue before might be surprised by it.

What I don't get is why, once informed that it's not permitted, the person would blatantly disregard the rules and tell the children to do the same.

Most malls and stores are not as crowded as Disney even airports are not and they normally have people going in two directions so you do not have people crossing in front of you as often

Certainly I agree - but my question is not why the policy at Disney properties, but whether it's a common policy in other places or not - so perhaps a Disney guest would be surprised by the policy when they've not encountered it elsewhere.

Certainly I agree - but my question is not why the policy at Disney properties, but whether it's a common policy in other places or not - so perhaps a Disney guest would be surprised by the policy when they've not encountered it elsewhere.
I do not think other place have this rule but I think other theme parks do

I will say as another guest, I am glad this policy exists. I do not want my small kids run over injured by a motorized wheelchair or scooter because the operator could not see them around/over a child on their lap.
Motorized chairs and scooters can cause serious injuries. I’ve been run into at DL by someone who didn’t know how to operate it well and I was lucky to have a metal chair between us, but it would have been bad if she had been right next to my daughter’s and my legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts