Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
Saw this in one of my FB groups.

RUMOR: Meeting to Discuss Potential Changes and Expansions for Star Wars: Galaxy Edge Temporarily Put on Hold. - The information below was posted on the WDW Forums.

“Per a reliable source, I’m informed that an upcoming meeting in two weeks to determine potential changes / expansions for Galaxy’s Edge has been put on hold with a tentative meeting in April that exists more as a placeholder than anything.

This meeting was to be attended physically or via teleconference by Bob Chapek, Megan Crumpacker, Vanessa Morrison, Kris Theiler, Josh D’Amaro, Phil Holmes, and Kareem Daniel (among others).

The cancellation of this meeting is directly due to the closure of parks in Asia, which is placing a hold on all potential future expansion expenditures for domestic parks until a more firm outlook in that region can be determined.

Furthermore, I was told that a contingency plan is in place should Asian parks remain closed for significant durations that would see one of the water parks at WDW closed for the spring, as well as all mini-golf venues, and reduced hours at the parks (think opening times of 10 am for non-MK parks).

All of these changes are ONLY on the table if Asian parks stay closed for months. The belief is that WDW can absorb cuts much better than DLR, which is already being run on lower staffing due to the summer “Close the Gap” initiative. Regardless though, any changes for Galaxy’s Edge at either US park is now on hold.”

As mentioned in the above post, the meeting was supposedly set to take place last week. However, according to the forum user’s post, “a tentative meeting in April that exists more as a placeholder than anything…” So, who knows?

credit: WDW Pro on the WDW forums via SWGE FB group

You’re already seeing the impacts. Operating hours at Epcot attractions are being reduced.
Can you be more specific or lead me to where I can read more? I hadn’t seen that and we go next week.

As for the OP- 10am openings during spring break would be brutal. I would be surprised by that but I guess anything is possible!

I don't understand the relationship of problems in China having to do with changing the operating hours of U.S. theme parks. Unless there are far fewer Brazilian, er, Chinese Tour Groups visiiting WDW cutting down on anticipated revenue from resorts, restaurants, park admissions, etc.

Or maybe, without viewing the evening news every night Disney officials noted a decrease in the number of guests waiting for rope drop. So in response, CM schedules and rope drop were rescheduled effective on a certain future date. There might have been with limited provision for a surprise earlier rope drop on selected days when crowds built up sooner, bringing rope drop back to last year's times.

Last edited:
I don't understand the relationship of problems in China having to do with changing the operating hours of U.S. theme parks. Unless there are far fewer Brazilian, er, Chinese Tour Groups visiiting WDW cutting down on anticipated revenue from resorts, restaurants, park admissions, etc.

Or maybe, without viewing the evening news every night Disney officials noted a decrease in the number of guests waiting for rope drop. So in response, CM schedules and rope drop were rescheduled effective on a certain future date. There might have been with limited provision for a surprise earlier rope drop on selected days when crowds built up sooner, bringing rope drop back to last year's times.
Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland are closed. Disney doesn’t make money when the parks aren’t open. Now Disney isn’t the majority owner of those two parks but they still have a large stake and fund projects for those parks.

Sounds like a backwards policy. If it were me, I'd be advertising to all those North American and South American seniors whose cruises have gotten scrubbed, and pitched the 2 parks (FL and CA) at a max capacity. I'd be adding hours and selling myself as THE destination for all those middle and upper middle class folks who are canceling...I'd pitch the cleanliness, the entertainment, and the comfort...heck, I'd create "cruise" packages on land that give set events for that set...but then again, what do I know?

If they are spiking hours, that means they are worried the corona virus is coming stateside and will set up a desire for a lot of their market (seniors, young children, and differently abled) to stay home this summer...

I did tell my husband I am glad that this year, I didn't book a cruise and planned 2 driving vacations...one thing I won't be doing is getting stuck anywhere I don't want to be...and I can cancel at any time for almost no loss, up to the day of my trips...

That must have been a cut and paste from another forum site. I saw that there last week there word for word. I think they said will probably see more extra hours party offered. Then look likes same or more hours as previous years but more cahs for disney

Disney has learned their customers are chumps that will pay drastically more for less. So why not cut back hours and entertainment. Especially nice when you have a natural disaster you can blame it on.

I wonder how this marketing would work for Boeing: "Sorry, we aren't making any money from the 737 (where we get 50% of our revenue). So we decided to deliver your 777 without tires, seats, or engines. For the cost of another airplane, we'll take the engines off the other airline's airplane and move them to yours."

Last edited:
Disney has learned their customers are chumps that will pay drastically more for less. So why no cut back hours and entertainment. Especially nice when you have a natural disaster you can blame it on.

I wonder how this marketing would work for Boeing: "Sorry, we aren't making any money from the 737 (where we get 50% of all revenue). So we decided to deliver your 777 without tires, seats, or engines. For the cost another airplane, we'll take the engines off the other airline's airplane and move them to yours."

A little extreme. Boeing would find cheaper materials, cut R&D, and cut labor hours which will cheapen its product and lengthen lead time though.

Can you be more specific or lead me to where I can read more? I hadn’t seen that and we go next week.

As for the OP- 10am openings during spring break would be brutal. I would be surprised by that but I guess anything is possible!
Here is a link to the shortened hours for some of the attractions at Epcot:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...al-attractions-reduced-starting-2-23.3792467/
And I agree that shortened operating hours would be brutal. I just got back and hours were around 11-13 hours for the most part. It was packed, with long wait times. From a guest perspective I can’t imagine reducing them further. But, if they are looking to cut operating costs, I can see this happening.

I’m with above pp- admittedly I’m not in business, but I fail to see why a park in Asia partially owned by the Disney company should have any effect on any of the other parks in the world. WDW and DLR are their own things, as well as DLP. WDW profits aren’t dropping because parks in China are closed, so why should there be any type of cuts? Even if there are fewer visitors from China at WDW right now, the parks are clearly not suffering from low attendance- they’ve been very busy since RotR opened. Just doesn’t make sense to me. Granted, the Epcot stuff, how many people are really watching those videos the last hour of the day anyways? People are waiting around the lagoon. Disney doesn’t really need an excuse for that, they’ve done that sort of thing many times. But reducing hours, cutting expansions, etc doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm not real worried about the Epcot cuts. I have to wonder how many people were utilizing the films durning the last park hours. Honestly it seems like a wise business choice to cut hours on things not being utilized. It's not like they are cutting hours on rides during that last operating hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter