Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

If any consideration is given to closing the US parks, it will be based on business concerns/$$$ first, and public health concerns second.

There could come a point where Disney's insurers force them to shut down the parks for fear of financial liability. It doesn't even have to make sense when it comes to public health to shut down the parks. If Disney's insurers and legal people think the risk is too great for substantial losses in courts around the country, they will shut down the parks.
Disney is Disney's insurer. My point is that Walt Disney Co. is self insuring.

I think they’re preparing for the pandemic to hit. If it’s bad, people will be afraid of crowded places. The parks were empty after 9/11. If that happens now, cutting hours makes sense.

So what happens to our reservations/money if they close? I rented DVC points and are non refundable so I'm just out all this money?

Who made the decision to close the other parks? Someone from Disney or someone from the government? I feel like it has to be something those at the top are at least discussing/considering. I am not convinced the virus is being well contained here. I realize there are no current cases in Orlando. I am not confident in the way the federal government has handled things so far.

Who made the decision to close the other parks? Someone from Disney or someone from the government? I feel like it has to be something those at the top are at least discussing/considering. I am not convinced the virus is being well contained here. I realize there are no current cases in Orlando. I am not confident in the way the federal government has handled things so far.
Disney doesn't have any ownership interest in Tokyo so that was fully on the OLC. As for Shanghai and Hong Kong I would guess the local governments of each were the major deciding factors there.

It has been discussed on other threads that there is no practical path for DVC to cancel point reservations or even allow members to cancel without the standard restrictions since it would create a severe point overload in the future where members could not use there points unless Disney wanted to refund the value of the unusable points which would be in the 60 Million per month range for a full DVC shut down

Bad news is that if you are a member or renter you are likely at risk if the parks close as the chances of re-renting would be minimal if the parks are shut down

Hopefully it will not happen

Disney doesn't have any ownership interest in Tokyo so that was fully on the OLC. As for Shanghai and Hong Kong I would guess the local governments of each were the major deciding factors there.

And if anything was done here it would only be after consultation with the government and CDC. Obviously our government can't tell Disney directly what to do but they will not make a decision without discussing things with the government to get as much information as possible.

It has been discussed on other threads that there is no practical path for DVC to cancel point reservations or even allow members to cancel without the standard restrictions since it would create a severe point overload in the future where members could not use there points unless Disney wanted to refund the value of the unusable points which would be in the 60 Million per month range for a full DVC shut down

Bad news is that if you are a member or renter you are likely at risk if the parks close as the chances of re-renting would be minimal if the parks are shut down

Hopefully it will not happen
I disagree with the consensus on the other thread. I have a week booked on points for myself at the end of April. If the parks actually closed, I am quite sure they would restore my points. They would have to reallocate their cash rooms to accommodate however much time the parks were closed for. Yes, they’ll lose money. Lots of businesses are already losing money. But I doubt they’d say “tough, we know you booked the room because of a vacation that another branch of our company now canceled on you, but you’re stuck with the room”. In fact, if the parks close, the resorts may well close too. There wouldn’t be enough people to make operating them cost effective. If they were to leave the dvc owners holding the bag, are they also going to do that to every single family staying at a disney property? I don’t think so. They’ll take the financial hit and move on.

Disney is Disney's insurer. My point is that Walt Disney Co. is self insuring.

I work in insurance and find it hard to believe they are 100% self insured. Most likely they have reinsurance contracts that pick up over a certain amount. They couldn't take the risk of a large multi-million dollar loss, like a major accident or terrorist attack.

And if anything was done here it would only be after consultation with the government and CDC. Obviously our government can't tell Disney directly what to do but they will not make a decision without discussing things with the government to get as much information as possible.
In a pandemic situation, the government absolutely can set limits on things and make rules to ensure a limited outbreak, inclusive of forcing businesses where there are large gatherings of people close. We are not close to that yet in the states, but companies are already having meetings to discuss the "what if" level A, B, C scenarios. Had one last week with my company because we are global, but, we have an office here in Florida and are preparing accordingly. Florida is a huge vacation state and with the amount of international and domestic tourists, as well as cruise ship industry, as well as all the huge ports, it is a scenario that could happen if it reaches Stage B or C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter