CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

one of my concerns with a replacement for illuminations especially the rumor it wouldn't be on the world showcase lagoon.

If they do drones I would assume they'd be over the lagoon - and maybe even all take off from a barge or something there.

I don't know. I thought the story was pretty clear right away, to me at least. That's why I'm always shocked to see so many people that don't get it even after several viewings. The first time I saw HEA my breath was taken away and the tears were flowing non stop for a good 15 minutes, I never got that feeling with Wishes even after countless viewings. But everyone has something they connect with immediately, and for me that is HEA.

Yeah, I mean it's one thing to just prefer Wishes (I think Wishes is a bit more emotional), but is HEA really all that difficult to follow? There's a story in all of us, some songs about friendship and love, then some about battles and triumph, then sometimes the bad guys get the upper hand and destroy the castle, but if we all believe in ourselves and our story, the castle can be restored and we can all live happily ever after. It's pretty simple, which is exactly what I would expect.

We saw HEA for the first time in April. We were staying at BLT and had a view from our balcony. I watched it twice from the balcony before seeing it in the park.

I thought the fireworks were great and from a distance the projections on the castle made the castle appear to always a color that matched the fireworks and it looked really great. Better than wishes. We didn’t know what they were projecting most of the time but the colors were visually appealing.

I was really happy with the music choices. These are great scores from some truly fabulous movies. If you haven’t seen them - you should! My 4 year old niece has never seen Snow White or Cinderella or Pinocchio movies but she (and her parents) know Moana, Frozen, Brave etc - the new IP - inside and out! My family (including my 11yo son) also likes the music a lot better than wishes. From a far, the theme wasn’t as clear but it was still visually appealing.

A few nights later we we in MK to watch. Our group of 9 was split into 3 - 2 entered the park 20 minutes before it started. They walked down Main Street and ended up watching from the Main Street area near Casey’s. Around the same time - 3 of us entered from Adventureland and ended up on the left side of the hub about even with the partners statue and even had a pillar to lean on. And lastly - my sister was entering the hub area from Tomorrowland. She entered just at the right time as they opens up the hub roadway and ended up with and INCREDIBLE spot right up front. Her spot was so good, my daughter and I left our spot and walked over to hers just in time for the show to start! If I could get a photo uploaded to show you how stunning it was - I would!

We loved the show and thought the projections were amazing and ON POINT - to those that didn’t understand how the images tied to the songs, I just can’t agree. They were all appropriate.

Crowds during our vacation were very manageable. I believe it was a TP Level 5 or so the entire week. But this was very enjoyable and I am glad we didn’t stress about getting a perfect spot 30-60min before!

Yeah, I mean it's one thing to just prefer Wishes (I think Wishes is a bit more emotional), but is HEA really all that difficult to follow? There's a story in all of us, some songs about friendship and love, then some about battles and triumph, then sometimes the bad guys get the upper hand and destroy the castle, but if we all believe in ourselves and our story, the castle can be restored and we can all live happily ever after. It's pretty simple, which is exactly what I would expect.

Although I think you are missing (or minimizing) one key difference I see in the message of HAE vs wishes in that it is up to YOU to make your Happily Ever After a reality - it isn't just from "wishing on a star" that it happens. Believing in yourself is part of it - but it takes action to rebuild the castle not simply that belief

I think this article sums it up well: http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/why-the-message-of-happily-ever-after-is-so-important/ :rolleyes1

This really makes me nervous. I LOVE Illuminations - no matter how many times I see it. I cry every time. Every. Single. Time. I'll be heartbroken if/when they take it away. And maybe I'm a musical snob (pro classical musician) but I can't stand when they infuse all this cr*ppy new pop stuff into the music. Ugh. Just yuck. Illuminations is fantastic because of its wonderful instrumental score throughout.

And maybe I'm a musical snob (pro classical musician) but I can't stand when they infuse all this cr*ppy new pop stuff into the music
I'm with you on that. At least I assume the music fits.

I will never forget a 4th of July fireworks show at the lakefront in Chicago when someone decided to play "Born in the USA" and "American Woman" as part of the soundtrack! Obviously they had no idea what the songs were about!

This really makes me nervous. I LOVE Illuminations - no matter how many times I see it. I cry every time. Every. Single. Time. I'll be heartbroken if/when they take it away. And maybe I'm a musical snob (pro classical musician) but I can't stand when they infuse all this cr*ppy new pop stuff into the music. Ugh. Just yuck. Illuminations is fantastic because of its wonderful instrumental score throughout.
I completely agree. I also really love that the music is completely original. Most of my favorite things in WDW are the original things. I mean I can watch fireworks over pop music anywhere. Where else can you see a show perfectly timed to a completely original and beautiful score that incorporates fire, lasers, building/environmental lighting and fireworks? Not to mention there are firework effects seen no where else in Illuminations. To me this is what truly shows the creativity and innovation of Disney.

I really wish I would've know about "Promise" when I got married, it would've more than likely been our wedding song.

The talk about viewing locations for HEA is interesting because that is one of my concerns with a replacement for illuminations especially the rumor it wouldn't be on the world showcase lagoon. The way illuminations is now is that there are a lot of spots all around world showcase where you can get a good view of illuminations so everybody isn't crammed into one area. I hope whatever they replace it with also has the ability to be easily seen from many locations. You start adding in projections and stuff and it changes. While I like the show one issue with WoC at DLR is you need to be in certain locations to really see it well. That is an important consideration.

Agreed. I hope its still great/more/better fireworks as well as some drones would be fun.

Add in the lasers and fire as well. Any screens will make it tougher to find spots as you say.

And no IP necessary at EPCOT IMO.

The talk about viewing locations for HEA is interesting because that is one of my concerns with a replacement for illuminations especially the rumor it wouldn't be on the world showcase lagoon. The way illuminations is now is that there are a lot of spots all around world showcase where you can get a good view of illuminations so everybody isn't crammed into one area. I hope whatever they replace it with also has the ability to be easily seen from many locations. You start adding in projections and stuff and it changes. While I like the show one issue with WoC at DLR is you need to be in certain locations to really see it well. That is an important consideration.

I don't see why Disney would ever abandon the lagoon as the focal point for a nighttime show. There are several locations around World Showcase used by Disney for corporate meetings and conventions in conjunction with Illuminations. That's a revenue generator that they will not want to lose.

I don't see why Disney would ever abandon the lagoon as the focal point for a nighttime show. There are several locations around World Showcase used by Disney for corporate meetings and conventions in conjunction with Illuminations. That's a revenue generator that they will not want to lose.
Yep, also plenty of space for private viewing parties.

Yep, also plenty of space for private viewing parties.

Not to mention several of the restaurants that promote having views of Illuminations

When they put the crappy pop type music into Disney stuff, it won't last. Those songs get old. Disney originals are timeless classics for decades for a reason. I think illuminations needs an update, but more along the lines of updating what is there now, and just adding more flare. Add music from all the countries.

When they put the crappy pop type music into Disney stuff, it won't last. Those songs get old. Disney originals are timeless classics for decades for a reason. I think illuminations needs an update, but more along the lines of updating what is there now, and just adding more flare. Add music from all the countries.
I’m really drawing a blank at what WDW show features “crappy pop music”.

I think it depends on the quality of the song and also how long to expect a Fireworks Show to last?

I actually really love the HAE song - it has a classic Disney vibe to me ... but even if they get 5 years out of it, that is pretty good

Also, Pain the Night is my favorite Disney parade ever and that uses a Pop song and I think it makes the parade and the energy it adds fits perfectly. That's been around since 2014 in Hong Kong and 2015 in Disneyland and definitely not tired of it yet

Also, Pain the Night is my favorite Disney parade ever and that uses a Pop song and I think it makes the parade and the energy it adds fits perfectly. That's been around since 2014 in Hong Kong and 2015 in Disneyland and definitely not tired of it yet

I thought the music in Paint the Night was the worst part (generic pop song and Baroque Hoedown :headache:). Give me Spectromagic's music any day over that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter