RUMORED New Disney Dining Plan Plus!! (DDP+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good example, just barely ahead and that’s including a really above-average amount of steak (every day?) and alcohol (2 per day, every day, is a bit high for men and double the recommendation for women).
I’m sure there are some people who want 4 desserts, 2 steaks and 2 drinks per day. But I have to think it’s a small minority of potential guests

Careful...I made this same observation when alcohol was first added...didn't think there were that many people who would want 2 alcoholic drinks per day, every day. Trust me, the people on these boards do. I mean, haven't you seen the posts of people who also want their underage, Disney adults alcoholic beverage to add to their own?

So a buffet with alcohol and an a la carte with alcohol can easily add up to the $90-$100 range when you figure in the 2 snacks with it for ADULTS over 21. Families with Disney adult kids under 21 will almost certainly lose money and we'll have to see what the price point is for Disney kids.

For those talking price increases - do you mean on 2020 plans? Wouldn't that be a huge headache for Disney to change prices mid-year? Would the people already booked and deposited be grandfathered into the old pricing?

If this plan includes appetizers I would definitely be interested. I've always thought they needed one more dining plan, although personally I would prefer 2 TS and 1 QS and 1 Snack per day.

I like to have a drink with my meals when on vacation, even though I normally don’t do it at home. 2 drinks a day isn’t that much 🤷🏼‍♀️

It also depends on what you're drinking... I love the Magic Star Cocktail, especially once it was included in the dining plan.... but I don't think it actually contains much alcohol at all... It's not like people are ordering rounds of shots with the dining plan :P Two drinks spread out over a whole day isn't much...

For those talking price increases - do you mean on 2020 plans? Wouldn't that be a huge headache for Disney to change prices mid-year? Would the people already booked and deposited be grandfathered into the old pricing?

If this plan includes appetizers I would definitely be interested. I've always thought they needed one more dining plan, although personally I would prefer 2 TS and 1 QS and 1 Snack per day.
If you already booked and paid your deposited your package would already be locked in that price you paid when you booked. if A price increase happens that would only effect people who haven't put a dining package on there trip yet.

Sounds perfect for the DDP for convenience crowd. A hybrid of value (not as expensive as DxDP) and the flexibility the DxDP provides.

I'm interested in additional options, sure, but I don't think this plan would suit us very well. The DDP is perfect for my family. I wouldn't want to have 2 table meals a day. That takes out a lot of touring time.

Careful...I made this same observation when alcohol was first added...didn't think there were that many people who would want 2 alcoholic drinks per day, every day. Trust me, the people on these boards do. I mean, haven't you seen the posts of people who also want their underage, Disney adults alcoholic beverage to add to their own?

So a buffet with alcohol and an a la carte with alcohol can easily add up to the $90-$100 range when you figure in the 2 snacks with it for ADULTS over 21. Families with Disney adult kids under 21 will almost certainly lose money and we'll have to see what the price point is for Disney kids.

yes and no...yes, there are people who love it and post here.
But I’ve noticed over the years, the actual number of DDP lovers seems to shrink each year. As they keep raising prices, and chance the inclusions to rationalize the price increases, the DDP seems to lose fans each year.

Personally, I think we hit a point of absurdity when 11 year olds got charged the same as 21 year olds AND the 21 year old includes up to about $30 of alcohol per day.

10 years ago, the DDP was a pretty good vehicle for most people. 5 years ago, it was decent for a lot of people. Today, it’s the minority for whom it generates any real savings.

The DDP+ will only continue that trend, catering to the narrow market.

and I don’t want to start controversy... but it starts to feel like Big Tobacco advertising to kids and hiding health effects. Here is big happy family loving Disney saying...
Health professionals say you shouldn’t have steak more then 3 times per week. But our plan encourage you to have steak twice per day!
An adult woman shouldn’t consume more than 5-7 alcoholic beverage per week according to the medical establishment, but they should have 2 drinks per day to save money on the DDP..
And taking insulin shots isn’t so bad, who cares if 4 desserts per day will give you diabetes.

not saying that’s everyone who uses the DDP. But outside of character meals... you almost need to become a diabetic alcoholic with clogged arteries to benefit from the DDP.

But I’ve noticed over the years, the actual number of DDP lovers seems to shrink each year. As they keep raising prices, and chance the inclusions to rationalize the price increases, the DDP seems to lose fans each year.

Personally, I think we hit a point of absurdity when 11 year olds got charged the same as 21 year olds AND the 21 year old includes up to about $30 of alcohol per day.

10 years ago, the DDP was a pretty good vehicle for most people. 5 years ago, it was decent for a lot of people. Today, it’s the minority for whom it generates any real savings.

and I don’t want to start controversy... but it starts to feel like Big Tobacco advertising to kids and hiding health effects. Here is big happy family loving Disney saying...
Health professionals say you shouldn’t have steak more then 3 times per week. But our plan encourage you to have steak twice per day!
An adult woman shouldn’t consume more than 5-7 alcoholic beverage per week according to the medical establishment, but they should have 2 drinks per day to save money on the DDP..
And taking insulin shots isn’t so bad, who cares if 4 desserts per day will give you diabetes.

not saying that’s everyone who uses the DDP. But outside of character meals... you almost need to become a diabetic alcoholic with clogged arteries to benefit from the DDP.

I mean it is vacation. Some people don't ever do that except on vacation.

I would agree it's overkill though. The point is they feel most people won't eat all that but Disney can show the math that way to say you will save money.

Thing is, there's a huge difference between exceeding those guidelines every week fr X years, and splurging on vacation. If i have no acute medical conditions that would prohibit md from drinking, 14 drinks over seven days is fine. They would average me out to about one drink every 26 days.

There a interesting points here. I come from the UK, where many brits come for 2 weeks at a time, often on DDP which is ‘free’ most of the year for Europeans. In addition to your points above, kids are encouraged to get adult meals (to get the value, with the ridiculous notion that kids are adults at 11) and also now drink speciality shakes at 500+ calories a pop instead of their alcohol.
Yes it’s down to the parents but many of those are very poor eaters, and the product itself encourages over consumption. A kid could quite easily be eating 4000 calories a day and goodness knows how much fat and sugar.
Corporate greed really shows making 11 year olds buy the adult plan, and I am surprised in this age of obesity there has not been more push back. Even at the Wave at Xmas, they refused to give my 12 year old a kids meal, and that was paying out of pocket.
Eating this kind of diet for 14 days straight can do some damage to adults and kids alike.
Another reason we would never get the plan, but we don’t have free dining being DVC either.

It also depends on what you're drinking... I love the Magic Star Cocktail, especially once it was included in the dining plan.... but I don't think it actually contains much alcohol at all... It's not like people are ordering rounds of shots with the dining plan :P Two drinks spread out over a whole day isn't much...
I like those type of mixed drinks as well. Although I usually get a glass of wine in MK

Thing is, there's a huge difference between exceeding those guidelines every week fr X years, and splurging on vacation. If i have no acute medical conditions that would prohibit md from drinking, 14 drinks over seven days is fine. They would average me out to about one drink every 26 days.

Thoigh it depends on gender, body type, weight, age, metabolism....
Most experts and physicians would agree that for most people, 14 drinks in even 1 week is not fine.
It’s like saying, “I don’t smoke the rest of the year, so smoking a pack of cigarettes per day on vacation is fine.”

A healthy splurge might be an extra piece of cake and 2-3 drinks for 1 day.... not every day for a 5-14 day vacation.

There a interesting points here. I come from the UK, where many brits come for 2 weeks at a time, often on DDP which is ‘free’ most of the year for Europeans. In addition to your points above, kids are encouraged to get adult meals (to get the value, with the ridiculous notion that kids are adults at 11) and also now drink speciality shakes at 500+ calories a pop instead of their alcohol.
Yes it’s down to the parents but many of those are very poor eaters, and the product itself encourages over consumption. A kid could quite easily be eating 4000 calories a day and goodness knows how much fat and sugar.
Corporate greed really shows making 11 year olds buy the adult plan, and I am surprised in this age of obesity there has not been more push back. Even at the Wave at Xmas, they refused to give my 12 year old a kids meal, and that was paying out of pocket.
Eating this kind of diet for 14 days straight can do some damage to adults and kids alike.
Another reason we would never get the plan, but we don’t have free dining being DVC either.

Exactly. Yes, it’s up to adults to make their own decisions for themselves and their children. I’m not suggesting Disney should go dry, ban desserts from their menus, etc.

Just saying if you have a meal plan supposedly designed for the masses, don’t make it cater to and reward the worst possible habits. It would be no different if it included a pack of cigarettes along with your refillable mug. Sure, it’s your choice whether to smoke them, but you’re paying for it either way.

Personally, I’ll still take the plan when it’s “free.” I’m not a teetotaler... I’ll have a few drinks but not much different than if I was oop... I’ll have 3-6 drinks spread over a week. I’ll skip half the desserts. I like steak and might “splurge” and eat it 1-2 times during the week.
On days we do a character meal, we will end up “ahead” of the cost of the DDP. On other days, we will probably be “behind.”
Since it’s “free dining,” I don’t really care whether we break even with DDP cost.

hmmm, to side track further, it would be an interesting psychological experiment. If you served the exact same “all you can eat” buffet to 2 groups of people. Group “a” were charged $10 while group “b” was charged $40, for the exact same buffet — I theorize that on average, the people in group “b” would eat more, in order to “get their money’s worth.” It would be an interesting experiment anyway.

This plan might be something we consider if they allow DVC members to purchase since our DDP cost is locked in for the year. This will come in handy for snacks at the festival booths at EPCOT. We like to have a TS dinner or even a signature dinner to take a break from the parks. I could see us purchasing this plan since we don't like many of the QS options.

I expect the price to be $110-$118...and for DxDP to have a big price increase, too...not that I'm cynical or anything...but again, Disney does tend to like to push the limits for folks to pay...

This makes total sense to me. There is just really no room for another tier between the current DDP and DxDP (price wise) without it making no sense to just do away with the DDP and replace it with DDP+. But raising the DxDP price and putting the DDP+ at enough of a difference away from the DDP makes it a viable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter