Run events- 5ks on Saturdays?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
I’m getting back into running and thought of having a 5k at Disney as my goal. I did the Princess 5k before, and it was held on a Friday, so I had to arrive in Orlando early Thursday morning in order to get my paperwork.
Are all of the 5k’s held on Fridays typically? I’m hoping to find one on a Saturday or Sunday because DH has a new job so taking 2 days off before the weekend isn’t really doable presently.
Thanks in advance!

Princess, Star Wars and Wine and Dine all hold their 5K's on Friday. Marathon Weekend holds theirs on Thursday. This is all because of the weekend set up. The longer races are on Saturdays and Sundays.

Princess, Star Wars and Wine and Dine all hold their 5K's on Friday. Marathon Weekend holds theirs on Thursday. This is all because of the weekend set up. The longer races are on Saturdays and Sundays.
Thanks! I was afraid that was the answer. 😔

Or just plan on doing a 10K! The distance is very do-able particularly when you have a LONG time to train for it, which you will for Disney since most race registrations open up about eight months before the event. If you haven't already, look at Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run method.
Thank you for the pointer! Maybe I’ll surprise myself and accomplish a 10k 🤷‍♀️😀

I don't think there has been a weekend rD 5K for a while OP. I'm not sure what the status of the resort "fun runs" are at the moment due to COVID but once things get closer to normal that might be an alternative option. It isn't an official race but you do get some swag.

Another option is to plan a trip when there is a local Orlando 5K the same weekend. I've done a few trips where I left property for a race that wasn't Disney but took place during my Disney Trip.

I don't think there has been a weekend rD 5K for a while OP. I'm not sure what the status of the resort "fun runs" are at the moment due to COVID but once things get closer to normal that might be an alternative option. It isn't an official race but you do get some swag.

Another option is to plan a trip when there is a local Orlando 5K the same weekend. I've done a few trips where I left property for a race that wasn't Disney but took place during my Disney Trip.
Just curious- what is typical swag for a resort fun run? I didn’t even know these existed.

Thank you for the pointer! Maybe I’ll surprise myself and accomplish a 10k 🤷‍♀️😀
As someone who was crazy enough to sign up for a half having never run any sort of distance before and then decided to make that first half my first race of any kind, a 10K is most definitely doable. My first 10K was part of the 2015 Star Wars Rebel Challenge at Disneyland, which also marked my first multi race weekend with runDisney. Then to finish off the trifecta of what in the world was I thinking, I decided that my first marathon should be part of Dopey.

Honestly, the training is the key. Disney times their 10Ks so you do need to be aware of that. It's not as daunting as you may fear it is.

I find that I love the 10K distance because it's just long enough to challenge you, but not to the point where you really feel the effects of it for the rest of the day. Having said that, I still choose to run longer distances because I do find them rewarding.

Just curious- what is typical swag for a resort fun run? I didn’t even know these existed.
Resort fun run swag usually isn't very much. Certainly nothing close to the runDisney race swag.

Each resort does things a little bit different. Usually small items like pins, sunglasses, Knick knacks type stuff. Some do a small plastic medal.

As someone who was crazy enough to sign up for a half having never run any sort of distance before and then decided to make that first half my first race of any kind, a 10K is most definitely doable. My first 10K was part of the 2015 Star Wars Rebel Challenge at Disneyland, which also marked my first multi race weekend with runDisney. Then to finish off the trifecta of what in the world was I thinking, I decided that my first marathon should be part of Dopey.

Honestly, the training is the key. Disney times their 10Ks so you do need to be aware of that. It's not as daunting as you may fear it is.

I find that I love the 10K distance because it's just long enough to challenge you, but not to the point where you really feel the effects of it for the rest of the day. Having said that, I still choose to run longer distances because I do find them rewarding.

Resort fun run swag usually isn't very much. Certainly nothing close to the runDisney race swag.
Each resort does things a little bit different. Usually small items like pins, sunglasses, Knick knacks type stuff. Some do a small plastic medal.
There is a FAQ thread though I'm not sure what the status is right now:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-resort-fun-runs-faq’s.3703509/
It isn't the same as actual race swag but if you want to do a Saturday run on property and have something to show for it I think it will be your only option.
Thanks all! I guess I’ll have quite some time to train for a 10k. But if everything gets better sooner I can always opt for a fun run :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!