Additions to Tinkerbell weekend

VIP Experience

"Are you looking to enhance your race weekend experience? Then upgrade to the Treasure Lounge: A VIP Experience created to take the hustle out of your race preparation and add some extra riches to your weekend.

This weekend-long experience will provide runners with a personalized race check-in process, as well as access to exclusive shopping, dining and entertainment offerings including:"

They also added runDisney Lunch n Learn

Lunch n Learn

"Have you ever wanted to learn how to make that perfect healthy meal? Something with a good balance of vitamins, protein and a sweet ending? Have you ever wanted to learn from a Disney chef inside of the award-winning Napa Rose restaurant?

Then join us for Lunch n Learn, where you are in the kitchen with our chefs learning how to prepare a healthy, race inspired three-course meal. Chris Faulkner, American Culinary Federation - Certified Executive Chef, (and Arizona Ironman triathlon finisher) and his team will go in-depth into the preparation of a healthy meal that includes salad, entrée, dessert, as well as pre- and post-workout shakes! And after you've worked up an appetite during the lesson, you'll enjoy that three-course lunch in time to take on your race weekend challenges."

So. Corrals came out for Dark Side today, about 18000ish bibs for the half. I noticed this booth in the event guide map for "last chance" registrations:
IMG_3593.jpg

Not sure if this will make sense but I wonder if there are ACTUALLY 18K registered runners, or if they just created 18K bibs so that there are extras ready to go at the expo for the last chance runners? I thought this was interesting, I had heard of registering of the expo before but never noticed it on the map.

So. Corrals came out for Dark Side today, about 18000ish bibs for the half. I noticed this booth in the event guide map for "last chance" registrations:
View attachment 228363

Not sure if this will make sense but I wonder if there are ACTUALLY 18K registered runners, or if they just created 18K bibs so that there are extras ready to go at the expo for the last chance runners? I thought this was interesting, I had heard of registering of the expo before but never noticed it on the map.
Nice catch!

Sorry if this is already covered, I haven't found the info.

Are there corrals for the 10k races? If yes, how are they assigned? I do not see a Proof of Time requirement.

Sorry if this is already covered, I haven't found the info.

Are there corrals for the 10k races? If yes, how are they assigned? I do not see a Proof of Time requirement.
Yes all races get corrals. 10K corrals are assigned based on a proof of time that's submitted or estimated time given when you register. None of Disney's races require a proof of time but submitting one does help get in a better corral.

Thank you. So if estimated time is accepted (I have plenty of screenshots :blush:), there is no real advantage, corral wise, to register and run a timed race prior to the runDisney 10k? I would rather keep that money for the trip or for Virtual runs.

Thank you. So if estimated time is accepted (I have plenty of screenshots :blush:), there is no real advantage, corral wise, to register and run a timed race prior to the runDisney 10k? I would rather keep that money for the trip or for Virtual runs.
Well there is an advantage because that proof of time race will hold more weight than an estimate but I think you'll be okay unless of course you want to be in corral A and try to win.

I know the policy for them doing a race either rain or shine, unless their is lightning. What amount of severe weather in the forecast would cause them to cancel a run? I know they cancelled the 2017 WDW Half and shortened the 2015 Wine and Dine.

I know the policy for them doing a race either rain or shine, unless their is lightning. What amount of severe weather in the forecast would cause them to cancel a run? I know they cancelled the 2017 WDW Half and shortened the 2015 Wine and Dine.

I don't think they've ever come out with an actual policy; it's more a "we reserve the right to change or cancel as necessary depending on conditions." That being said, I would guess that if there is a likelihood (not sure how high of a likelihood) of lightning within a certain distance of the course, then they shorten or cancel. If the storm will pass fairly quickly (2016 W&D), then they may wait it out and shorten the route, but if the storms are possibly going to stick around a while (2017 WDW half), then they would likely cancel.

I don't think they've ever come out with an actual policy; it's more a "we reserve the right to change or cancel as necessary depending on conditions." That being said, I would guess that if there is a likelihood (not sure how high of a likelihood) of lightning within a certain distance of the course, then they shorten or cancel. If the storm will pass fairly quickly (2016 W&D), then they may wait it out and shorten the route, but if the storms are possibly going to stick around a while (2017 WDW half), then they would likely cancel.
Yep, safety is their biggest concern. In a case like WDW half they just don't have the places to put people. Whereas wine and dine had WWoS.

Yep, safety is their biggest concern. In a case like WDW half they just don't have the places to put people. Whereas wine and dine had WWoS.

Yea I just get worried with weather. At the moment, granted it is a 13 day forecast, which isn't reliable. Saturday 4/22 is calling for AM Showers (30%) and Sunday 4/23 is calling for PM Thunderstorms (40%). I am just praying nothing bad happens for with the weather for the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side.

Yea I just get worried with weather. At the moment, granted it is a 13 day forecast, which isn't reliable. Saturday 4/22 is calling for AM Showers (30%) and Sunday 4/23 is calling for PM Thunderstorms (40%). I am just praying nothing bad happens for with the weather for the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side.

Very low probability of rain on the 22nd and 23rd based on AccuWeather (who I think does the best at long-range forecasting). Still way too early, though, for anything concrete.

Very low probability of rain on the 22nd and 23rd based on AccuWeather (who I think does the best at long-range forecasting). Still way too early, though, for anything concrete.

I noticed that. I hope they are spot on.

In all of the years runDisney has been in existence, I can recall them only completely canceling one race (this year's half).

They delayed Wine & Dine and canceled an Expedition Everest Challenge partway though (can't remember the year, 2011?).

So it's pretty rare that weather gets so bad that they will actually delay or cancel a race. And it's always a good idea to train in any kind of weather condition (i.e. Rain or snow) so that you're prepared for less-than-ideal weather.

In all of the years runDisney has been in existence, I can recall them only completely canceling one race (this year's half).

They delayed Wine & Dine and canceled an Expedition Everest Challenge partway though (can't remember the year, 2011?).

So it's pretty rare that weather gets so bad that they will actually delay or cancel a race. And it's always a good idea to train in any kind of weather condition (i.e. Rain or snow) so that you're prepared for less-than-ideal weather.
The aforementioned partially canceled EE Challenge - I was wrong, it was 2009.
http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/09/30/second-annual-expedition-everest-challenge-washed-out/

I don't mind running in the rain and/or snow. I have done so multiple times this year. All I care about it is the race not being cancelled.

Hey all!! I apologize if this was already discussed. I didn't see this information on the main information page:
Disneyland will no longer be taking volunteers for any races held in Anaheim. They have hired Apple One and Volt temp agencies to hire all the staff needed to have a successful race. People who signed up will receive monetary compensation. ($13/hour)

However, as of last Tuesday, Volt was reaching out to the few that signed up to ask friends to sign up, or for them to take on additional shifts throughout the Tinkerbell Half weekend. They are understaffed.

Again, I apologize if this was already mentioned or discussed. I didn't see this on the information posts, so I thought I would share.

Darkside 2017 is now over! Tink runners you are next!

I have updated dates to reflect that and have added pricing that I have found for the 2018 Darkside weekend. It appears everything is staying the same, however the challenge is decreased by $10.

Question that's maybe been addressed in another thread but not here: Are there lodging discounts for runners staying onsite? I'm thinking of doing the WDW half in 2018, but it is too soon to see lodging rates on the WDW website so I have no idea what prices would look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!