running disney

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
I am thinking of training to do a half marathon. Which is better at disney? The one during marathon week or the princess? Can my husband do either one? If I need to walk a chunk of it or just plod along slowly which is better? Are there training groups for these? I am overweight and out of shape. I need to build slowly to avoid hip and knee problems. Any advice is appreciated.

I am thinking of training to do a half marathon. Which is better at disney? The one during marathon week or the princess? Can my husband do either one? If I need to walk a chunk of it or just plod along slowly which is better? Are there training groups for these? I am overweight and out of shape. I need to build slowly to avoid hip and knee problems. Any advice is appreciated.

Can't speak to the Princess week, but the Half Marathon during WDW Marathon week in 2012 was my first runDisney race and it got me hooked. Have been back for the full in 2013 and the Dopey in 2014 and 2015 and still love running Disney. The Half has a special place in my heart, but it is now my least favorite race of the weekend. This is primarily because the course is almost entirely highway outside of the Magic Kingdom at miles 5-6. It feels like the length of race/unique to Disney experiences ratio is the smallest for this race. It also feels the most crowded of the Marathon Weekend races to me(although they are all packed).

The beauty of most runDisney events is how accommodating they are to all types of runners and paces. Walking, plodding along slowly, etc. is really about your comfort level, but I would certainly recommend finding a training program that you like and can get you feeling comfortable for a 15 minute/mile pace. RunDisney has never seemed particularly stringent about sweeping runners, but it's also nice to have a little bit of a cushion to take some of the nerves away on race day.

I would never want to deter anyone from running the half during marathon weekend; it is a great race and, as I said, it got me hooked. I would just say that the course/crowd could possibly be better at one of the other weekends.

The princess half has a 16 minute pace right now I'm not there but I have a year. I can't find out for sure when registration takes place. I saw something that seemed like July. That would be good because I'd be more comfortable with gauging my progress. I also see that these things sell out unbelievably fast. I am considering signing up for Team in Training in support of somebody close to me who had leukemia. However I don't want to make this so much more expensive. I do like the idea of training with a team and receiving support amd accountability.

The princess half has a 16 minute pace right now I'm not there but I have a year. I can't find out for sure when registration takes place. I saw something that seemed like July. That would be good because I'd be more comfortable with gauging my progress. I also see that these things sell out unbelievably fast. I am considering signing up for Team in Training in support of somebody close to me who had leukemia. However I don't want to make this so much more expensive. I do like the idea of training with a team and receiving support amd accountability.

I believe all of the races are at 16:00 pace requirement, I noted 15:00 because my experience has been much more enjoyable when I didn't feel like I was right up against the time restrictions.

All of the races sell out ridiculously fast. For that 2012 Half I had never heard of the marathon weekend until August and didn't sign up until September. Now, if you aren't there in the first few hours of registration you are forced to look for charities/travel companies for a spot. I have never signed up using a charity or travel company so I can't speak to the added expense/experience of using one.

Marathon registration is usually sometime mid april. Keep an eye either here or at rundisney.com to find out more.

As far as support and such, maybe check running stores locally and get in with them on training. Most have training groups!

I know the idea of raising significant money for Team in Training is daunting, it was for me and I picked a race that was local (Marine Corps Marathon). Still, I think it's hard to beat the community and support, especially for your first major race. We had everything from speed demons to walkers in my group and the support was great across the board. I liked having a coach to talk with who worked with beginners and wasn't judgemental about my (lack of) speed.

Local running groups are great, too. One of ours holds a Running 101/201 series for people just beginning to run, so if you can find something like that, it's a great option. You still get the community without the fundraising angst.

As far as race weekends - your husband could participate in either. The courses are identical as far as I can tell having done Princess last year and Marathon Weekend this year. The January weekend is really full of runners, but not as heavily skewed to the female which might make your husband happier. Both were great experiences.

Congrats on taking on a half marathon. I have not been to Disneyland yet but can tell you that WDW puts on a great event. Great characters, costumes, runner support, music, and the courses are mostly flat.

There are plenty of groups that have regular running days or even online support groups if you want to go that route. You have plenty of time to build up endurance. The races allow for all different paces and you will see plenty of people walking some of the time.

Best thing to do is sign up for a race, you will be one more realistic step closer to accomplishing your goal.
Have fun!

I started training in August 2014 for my first race and am planning on registering for the half in the Marathon 2016 weekend.

Some suggestions for training:
1. If you haven't already, get properly fitted for running shoes! They are so important to give your body the correct type of support and to avoid as many running-related injuries as possible. A running store will watch you walk/jog on a treadmill to see your gait before suggesting a type of shoe.

2. Jeff Galloway's run/walk plan is very popular for beginners and the official runDisney-suggested training method:
http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/
(Make sure to read the 'running tips' section!!)
This is what I'm currently following. I've adjusted the longer distances to increase a half mile each time instead of 1 or 1.5 miles.

You can do it! :)

I prefer Marathon Weekend, but I'd recommend Princess under the circumstances you describe. I've participated in both, and so have our three boys. So I can share a few thoughts regarding the differences between the two weekends.

My Perspective: I'm a runner. I absolutely loved Marathon Weekend and I think it will always be my favorite. Marathon Weekend has more of a serious running tone to it, and running the full marathon was more exciting to me than running the half. On the other hand, I think the Princess environment is SO supportive for a new runner or first-timer. And when running the half marathon (instead of the full), I'll want to run Princess because it's more fun to be part of main event of the weekend. My corral placement will always be better at the Princess, which is fun for me. I enjoy a women-focused event and even though I don't love the princess theme, I like the focus on women's health. It's also a WAY better time of year for many. Travel for Marathon Weekend means a vacation right after Christmas. I'd prefer to have something to train for in the couple months following Christmas. For Marathon Weekend, it's Christmas, New Years, Marathon Weekend and then . . . nothing. The Princess arrives at a better (although more expensive) time and gives me a focus through January and most of February.

My Kids' Perspective: They are not runners. They really didn't train for the WDW half marathon at all. They ran it and had a great time (meaning, they enjoyed themselves, not that they ran fast!) But our boys prefer the Princess in the future. (Our teens are planning to run the Glass Slipper Challenge with me in 2016!) They like the more casual vibe of the Princess Weekend. They also want to run the main event. They said it was a bit anti-climatic to run the half when all the full, Goofy and Dopey runners were running the main event the next day. Clearly, they are not princess fans and don't really give a hoot about a women focused event. But they LOVE the main event and the Princess gives them that. Fun!

I have done several half marathons during marathon weekend in January. I also just did my first half marathon in DL during Star Wars weekend.

I would tell you to do the one that is closer to you.

However...overall the adrenaline for the marathon weekend is MUCH more intense. The excitement is way better. The enthusiasm. The pre race entertainment. The amount of port of potties available. All of those are WAY better in Disney World during marathon weekend. Star Wars was fun but it never reached the levels of excitement that World had.

What was better about Disneyland? The hotels outside of Disney are way cheaper and you can actually walk to the start line. Unlike World where you have to take a bus so early in the am. If the race begins at 0530 then you have to take a 3-330am bus (world). In Disneyland you can walk out of your hotel room (perhaps a mile walk) to the start line.
The hotels in D.L. are very expensive but again, you can roll out of bed and walk to the start.
When you finish....you just walk back to your hotel. In Disneyworld you have to stand in line and wait for your bus.

So the whole process in World is a lot longer...

If I were given a choice as to which one I would do ... I would choose World.

However if you are closer to Land than sign up for that. Book a cheap hotel that is without a short walk to the entrance.

In my experience now...World is better for the excitement. The overall feeling of positive energy.
Land is better because you stay in a cheap hotel outside the park and still walk to the start.

Interesting how different people get different vibes from the same race. As a female runner one might think that the Princess would be more appealing to me than the marathon weekend, but I do not care for the Princess at all. In 2011 the course was horribly crowded and the girl drama I kept seeing on the course really turned me off. Decided that was a one and done race until the GSC was announced for 2014. My niece and I did that one just for the challenge - had fun with the 10k, but the half was even more crowded and irritating to me than in 2011. No more Princess Half for me.

The Half during Marathon weekend has a more energetic vibe to me and I like the crowd mix of men and women better. That said, I have not run Marathon weekend the last 2 years with Dopey in the weekend mix, so I can't say how that impacts the individual race feeling.

In 2011 the course was horribly crowded and the girl drama I kept seeing on the course really turned me off. Decided that was a one and done race until the GSC was announced for 2014. My niece and I did that one just for the challenge - had fun with the 10k, but the half was even more crowded and irritating to me than in 2011. No more Princess Half for me.

I have never done Princess (doing it in three weeks, though!) This is exactly my fear for this race. I figure if it's the case, then I don't have to do it again, right?

In 2011 the course was horribly crowded and the girl drama I kept seeing on the course really turned me off.

Princess doesn't appeal to me either, though it looks like my cousin and I might do the 5k together next year. But I've got to know what sort of female specific drama can be seen during a race weekend? Curious!

That said, I have not run Marathon weekend the last 2 years with Dopey in the weekend mix, so I can't say how that impacts the individual race feeling.

I think Dopey and even Goofy take away some of the positive vibes from the half. Lots of comments made by runners and announcers about people "just doing the half." For a lot of people, getting to and through a half is a huge accomplishment and not something to be be diminished like that. I'm sure the race announcers don't mean it that way, so I'm hoping they will find better words to use in the future. That said, I think Disney still does an excellent job of focusing on each race on its day. The half still feels like the big event it is, and that's a good thing.

I'm sure the race announcers don't mean it that way,

so I'm hoping they will find better words to use in the future.

I hope not, and

I hope so.

The only person who should be allowed to use "just" or "only" in regard to a race is the person running, about their OWN race.

I use it to indicate something like "sole" or "solely". No, I'm not doing Goofy, I'm solely running the Half. Differentiating.

Or if a Dopey runner does one race next year, that year they can say "just" the one race, because compared to their own past, it's different.

:)

I think Dopey and even Goofy take away some of the positive vibes from the half. Lots of comments made by runners and announcers about people "just doing the half." For a lot of people, getting to and through a half is a huge accomplishment and not something to be be diminished like that. I'm sure the race announcers don't mean it that way, so I'm hoping they will find better words to use in the future. That said, I think Disney still does an excellent job of focusing on each race on its day. The half still feels like the big event it is, and that's a good thing.

I think I notices comments like that more from the announcers than I did from the actual runners. In general I've found everyone at marathon weekend to be very supportive of any distance that people have run. For the most we aren't elites out there. The challenge and competition we face on the course is against the distance and ourselves. I think the fact that running is so individual makes it very easy for everyone to be supportive of everyone else.

I've run both the princess and marathon weekend half with my wife. If it were up to me I would choose, marathon weekend. There are about twice as many runners on property during Marathon weekend. I really enjoy the interaction with other runners in the parks during and after Marathon Weekend. It seemed to be a bigger experience. I think people were as cordial during both races. Lastly I think it's much easier for a lady to find decent swag during Marathon Weekend than it is for a guy to find stuff during princess.

IMHO, just getting up to do a 5K for people who normally don't run is a big accomplishment. I did my first Marathon this year at Disney after doing my first Half last Feb in Miami. I am going up for Princess to do my 4th Half. It's not a joke. Though it's Disney and it's much more fun than other runs because of the various entertainment, running a half is not a joke. My advice is to train and train well. The Galloway method had worked the best for me and you can go on RunDisney.com and find training plans to give you an idea of when to start training for which specific race. Also, get a Galloway book because he explains a ton.

If you are an absolute novice runner, do a few local races to get the feel for running with other people in crowds.

My own race experience was having only done some local 5K's prior to 2013. In mid 2012 My DW mentioned doing a 1/2 and I looked at her crazy. Saying and I quote "I might work up to a 1/2 one day, but I don't ever want to do a full. That's just crazy".

So as opposed to working slowly up to a 1/2, we signed up for Princess 1/2 2013. 5 Year Anniversary medal and all. That was a fantastic first race for the both of us. Unfortunately my wife got swept at about mile 8, but she wasn't able to train like we hoped. It was still a major accomplishment for both of us and more importantly the Princess got us hooked on runDisney. From not racing much at all, after Princess, we signed up for the Disneyland 1/2 (Coast to Coast Challenge) and Wine & Dine 1/2 that same year.

The quote I said to my wife in 2012 seems silly now that I just completed the 2015 Dopey Challenge, and will be heading to Cali in May for the 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge. Plus we will be heading back to WDW for the 2015 Wine & Dine 1/2 as well.

Having run both coasts, and several different races, I prefer DL for all the reasons goofygirl mentioned above. We stay at the HoJo, walk to the start line, enjoy the race, and then can walk a short distance to restaurants (resort or Downtown Disney) or go back to our room. But there is something to be said about WDW Races. The production value, and environment is just a different feel. Marathon weekend, there was more of an air of runner smugness. Just a little. Enough to be noticeable to me the casual runner. More serious runners. Princess weekend had a little more camaraderie amongst runners. And felt a little more welcoming than marathon weekend. And on course at both races, there are *****es that verbally complain about congestion along the roadways. Can't be avoided with that many people.

My only commentary on that is that if you are complaining about congestion, get a better qualifying time beforehand, and get placed in a better corral. Disney races are not specifically geared towards setting Personal Records (PR'ing in Runners terms). Good if you do, but whatevs. The races are more geared towards fun so have a lot or a little and have a great time.

Being male and running the Princess was pretty cool, and I didn't feel outnumbered even though it was easy to see that I was. Like others have mentioned the Princess theme gets a little burned out that weekend, but the Women's Health Focus is important. Your DH should enjoy so many women chasing him.

The Princess 1/2 was a great first race, and I'm sure you will have a great time. Follow the training guides. Work on a steady diet. Take a visit to a running store. Get fitted for proper shoes. No need to go crazy. As your training progresses, work in various gear and accessories and find what works for you. Don't be afraid to try something. Take a look at the nutritional guides that runDisney provides. Ask questions on here. Plenty of people have been there and are glad to help.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter