Running on, running into the sun
But I'm running behind

Honey you really tempt me
You know the way you look so kind
I'd love to stick around but I'm running behind
You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find
Running into the sun but I'm running behind

Where to begin? What to say?

I figured since I have now taken one more step towards my first Dopey, I should start to document what I am doing and how I am progressing. You can find me on Strava (Clubs: Dopey Challenge, Disboards Community, Team runDisney, runDopey). Comments and advice are welcome.

This post started with the song “Running on Empty” by Jackson Browne. I chose that song because it sort-of sums up where I am at right now in my running journey. I have proven to myself that I can mentally take on runs longer than 2 hours, but defiantly hit the wall at anything much longer. I don’t fuel up before my runs, I don’t really fuel during the runs, and I guess at the way to fuel after my runs. I am running on empty.

I live is a dry climate, so it Is pretty easy for me to run a 5k without any fluids. I have done enough 10k distances as well to not really loose anything by not fueling. I can usually get through a Half Marathon as well with out really drinking anything. But after I finish running a Half, I need to make sure I am on the fluids. If I do not hydrate quickly and often, a dull headache will plague me for the rest of the day.

I experimented last year while preparing for the WDW Marathon Weekend Half by training at longer distances. I noticed I would definitely bonk around the twenty-mile mark. I even experimented with Gatorade. Didn’t help me too much; as I am sure I am doing it all wrong.

I am definitely at a loss on how to fuel.

I definitely need to learn how to fuel before I attack Dopey in January.

Here are some of my parameters around fueling:
  • I would like to minimize “sugar”, if possible.
  • I would like to try and find things that work for my vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.
Any thoughts are welcome. I need to get my stomach used to this before we get to 2021!

On to what I did this week:

I put together a homemade training plan that appears to be working for me. This plan takes the slow build up approach, so I do not injure my aging body.

Week: 9/43

Week 9
MON.
TUE.
WED.
THUR.
FRI.
SAT.
SUN.
distance
-rest-
-rest-
time
------
0:30:12
------
0:55:16
0:57:35
0:55:42
0:57:10

Runs so far: 35 Miles so far: 190.35 Time on Road: 30:05:54

My ACWR for this week was 1.01 based on miles and 0.96 based on time. This is also my second week of getting used to 4 runs back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

Run2Me
by The Smashing Pumpkins

Run to me, run to me
Where the sun
Never leaves
Run to me, my special love
Run to me

At first perceptions before yourself
Who came and sung from where you are?
You can escape this, by someone else
Your lover?

Run to me, run to me
My special one, run to me
Run to me, run to me
My lover strange
Run to me, you can't be changed
Run to me, run to me

Where the frogs spoils the lean
Run to me, run to me
As the desert rose
Desert dreams
Run to me, my tender sage, run to me

Disavow affection maybe hold against your hold?
Move to that light in every window
Without exception and no one's left
You can't be kept from your turn
From your turn
From your turn

Run to me, my lover strange
Run to me
Run to me, my silent page
Run to me, you that can't be named
Run to me, yeah
Run to me
Run to me
Run to me
Run to me
No other door sets us free
Run to me
Run to me
Run to me
My lover strange
Run to me

I forgot to mention I am 49 ... that deadline for my first Marathon is looming.

Here is what my first 8 weeks looked like,

WEEKMON.TUE.WED.THU.FRI.SAT.SUN.
1-rest-3.10-rest-3.10-rest--rest-6.20
------0:28:08------0:28:37------------0:59:59
2-rest-3.13-rest-6.20-rest--rest-13.10
------0:27:44------0:59:15------------2:09:51
3-rest-6.35-rest-3.11-rest--rest-6.20
------1:09:56------0:27:47------------1:01:56
4-rest-6.33-rest-3.11-rest-3.203.11
------1:02:03------0:27:05------0:31:080:29:03
5-rest-6.29-rest-3.12-rest--rest-13.10
------1:00:05------0:27:22------------2:16:06
6-rest-3.11-rest-3.106.443.253.36
------0:26:40------0:29:571:00:490:32:280:30:40
7-rest-6.35-rest-6.27-rest-6.206.29
------0:57:07------0:55:26------0:56:570:57:26
8-rest-3.11-rest-6.213.183.1113.31
------0:27:13------0:56:540:29:060:27:482:15:23

Hmmm....My two cents worth (and I have completed several marathons, but YMMV)......

Two things to consider: How much fuel do I need? and then, What form can I tolerate?

So as to how much, ~30-60 g/hour is one reference point, but factor such as body weight, race effort, would modify that.

As to what you want to consume......Is there a reason you say you want to avoid "sugar", because fuel=carbs=sugar (roughly). Sure, there are other carbs, but form factor-wise for runners, they can be harder to eat on the run. You will hear many people say "we are all an experiment of one", meaning, just try a bunch of things to find what works for you--liquid, gels, chews, stroopwafels (yeah, they are a thing!)

For me, I find gels to work best. They are small enough to carry sufficient quantity, can be consumed quickly and less frequently than having to rely on liquids, and don't get sloshy/leaden in my stomach, and are readily available. I arrived at this conclusion after trying drink-based fueling (e.g. Gatorade), solids (sport beans, chews), and most recently trying a concentrated solution of Tailwind (comes in powder form). Turns out, I hate chewing while I run and I having to find a way to take "measured" amount of liquid is too much to think about. With gels, I know exactly what one package gives me for nutrition.

And a final point on hydration....it goes hand-in-hand with fueling. Some products really need to be consumed with water to allow proper digestion, and dehydration presents its own issues . So while you might be able to get through a race without drinking, you really need to.

Anyway.....you did ask for comments ;) Good luck with finding the solution that works for you..

Congrats on starting a journal! Looking forward to where your journey takes you.

Here are some of my parameters around fueling:
  • I would like to minimize “sugar”, if possible.
  • I would like to try and find things that work for my vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

The vegan thing is actually pretty easy since most all gels/liquids used for running are vegan. The minimization of sugar is definitely tougher. You could consider options like Huma gels (all-natural) and MUIR gels (real foods). I have not personally tried either of them.

I'll also echo @jmasgat in that proper fueling in most cases needs to go hand in hand with proper hydration. Most (but not all) products will need to be consumed with the ratio of 2 g carbs per 1 oz water in mind. So consume a gel that is 30g carbs, then you'll need to drink 15 oz of water in order to properly absorb those carbs. If you don't drink enough water, then the body will actually pull from the muscles in order to prioritize the stomach for absorption purposes. Potentially leading to faster dehydration. Additionally, you can get away with no fuel on shorter distances. But the longer the distance, the more likely you're going to need something especially the closer you get to trying to run a maximal effort race.

I personally consume about 93 grams of carbohydrates per hour. I calculated this value for myself based on several sources that use my body weight, gender, estimated VO2peak, and %VO2peak at goal time. This is the output the calculator generated for me:

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.34.52 AM.png

So with a goal time of around 3:07, I am estimated to need around 100g carbs per hour with no carb loading procedure the day prior. So I use training days of longer than 90 min to find a maximally tolerable amount of carbs I can intake as to minimize glycogen depletion as being the reason for slowing down at the end of the race. More often than not, carb intake will not be the reason for slowing down. More often than not, it's the training that led up to race day that will have the larger impact. Ideal training will yield optimal results, and carb intake will help insure that your ideal training doesn't go to waste.

Thank you @jmasgat and @DopeyBadger for your comments, they are much appreciated. I encourage any and all comments to make sure I get across that finish line 4 days in a row.

You gave be quite a bit to think about and try above. As you can see, not having the background in fueling may have hindered me right from the start by saying no sugar. I guess my next steps are to figure out my glucose and carbohydrate burn rates, research the Western Australian Carb-loading method, and figure out my VO2 max numbers.

My summer is going to be filled with a lot of ups and downs as I try and figure out what my stomach can handle. Running on empty is so simple!

Let the experimentation begin.

VO2 max numbers

You can use Daniels Calculator for a reasonable estimation. VDOT = VO2peak estimation

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/
Although, unless you're crazy like me, then that value will mean little towards elucidating a carbohydrate needs value. It's useful in the calculation for determining "%VO2peak" (or the relative pace/effort to your current fitness) as the faster you run relative to fitness the higher the % of carbs being burned instead of fat.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.45.50 PM.png

Rapoport BI. Metabolic factors limiting performance in marathon runners. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010 Oct 21;6(10):e1000960. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000960. PubMed PMID: 20975938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2958805.

glucose and carbohydrate burn rates

Through trial and error mostly unless you go full-go and get a metabolic efficiency profile done. Even then, I wouldn't recommend getting one because the results of a test like that are very fluid and can change week to week based on your diet.

research the Western Australian Carb-loading method

A useful method for carb loading and definitely something you'd want to practice if you tried it. I've more recently settled on 50% liquid/ 50% normal because of my concern that the 80% liquid source was overly diluting out my electrolyte storage. My 2019 November HM went well, but given the pain I was in early on during the 2020 Disney M I can't say for certain it worked there. But when the time comes for my next HM/M, that's the tweak I'll use to WA.

These are the two scientific papers that are the origin of the Western Australian Method. The first is commonly cited, but the second (which removed the necessity of the glycogen depletion exercise prior to initiation) is not.

Fairchild TJ, Fletcher S, Steele P, Goodman C, Dawson B, Fournier PA. Rapid carbohydrate loading after a short bout of near maximal-intensity exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jun;34(6):980-6. PubMed PMID: 12048325.

Bussau VA, Fairchild TJ, Rao A, Steele P, Fournier PA. Carbohydrate loading in human muscle: an improved 1 day protocol. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;87(3):290-5. Epub 2002 May 28. PubMed PMID: 12111292.

Let the experimentation begin.

Definitely the key. Try lots of different sources at differing amounts. Consistency and flavor of gels have a total spectrum.

Ready to Run
By Dixie Chicks

When the train rolls by
I'm gonna be ready this time
When the boy gets that look in his eye
When my momma says I look good in white

Oh yeah
Ready, ready, ready, ready, ready to run
All I'm ready to do is have some fun
What's all this talk about love

I feel the wind blow through my hair
I'll buy a ticket to anywhere
You see it feels like I'm starting to care
And I'm going to be ready this time

Oh yeah

I'm ready to run
I'm ready to run

Oh

I'm ready to run
I'm ready to run
I'm ready to run
I'm ready to run, ready to run,
Ready to run, yeah I'm ready to run, I'm ready
Whoa I'm ready to run, I'm ready, ready to run
(I'm ready) I'm ready to run
I'm ready

Week 10 of 43
  • Runs: 40 / 203
  • Miles so far: 219.91
  • Time on Road: 35:00:20
  • My ACWR for this week was 1.16 based on miles and 1.25 based on time.
  • This is also my third week of getting used to 4 runs back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I noticed my legs did feel tired for most of the runs.
Monday:
  • Went for a bike ride. I am intending to add cross-training to my running plan for Dopey. I really haven't done much of anything other than running in the past. Things need to change this time around if I want to stay healthy with all the punishment my body will take.
  • 13.13 miles for 1:06:42
Tuesday:
  • Did three distinct runs today.
  • Ran 5k in 0:28:23 with an average HR of 151
  • Did the #SlowMileChallange (https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene/take-it-easy-with-the-slow-mile-challenge/). 1 mile, 0:32:44, cadence 190 spm. This put a lot more stress on my hip-flexors than I thought it would. I now have a PW (Personal Worst) of 0:32:44! :p I enjoyed all the funny looks I got from people as they walked past me.
  • Ran 0.34 miles to stretch out my hips in 0:03:14.
Wednesday:
  • rest day
Thursday:
  • A very soggy run in the rain at 5C.
  • 6.27 miles in 0:58:27 with an average HR of 153 bpm
  • This one was a mental workout. It took a lot of effort to get out the door for this one.
Friday:
  • 6.30 miles in 0:55:58 with an average HR of 153 bpm
  • It was another wet one. Not raining as hard.
Saturday:
  • 6.34 miles in 1:00:12 with an average HR of 149 bpm
  • Overcast, but not wet!
  • I intentionally tried to work on slowing down my pace today. I do not want to hurt myself while trying to build a solid base for the 4 days back to back.
Sunday:
  • 6.21 miles in 0:55:28 with an average HR of 151 bpm
  • The sun was shining. It is funny how the mental game of running changes when the sun comes out. Felt good to be out there today.

I have not had a chance to get out to the running store to start experimenting with different gels yet. I am waiting for more of the COVID restrictions to lift before I venture out.

I am going to start looking into my Heart Rate and Zones. I hear a lot about trying to train in lower zones. And I have seen people ask what your HR was during the run. Need to do some research on how to calculate my zones and where I should be targeting my runs.

Have a good week everyone!

Last edited:

I am going to start looking into my Heart Rate and Zones. I hear a lot about trying to train in lower zones. And I have seen people ask what your HR was during the run. Need to do some research on how to calculate my zones and where I should be targeting my runs.

The method I like to use is "Heart Rate Reserve" which takes into account both your maxHR and restingHR. For maxHR, I use something from the device I plan to use during my training. You can either do a measure maxHR type test, or you can just look at your HR from the end of a hard 5k (it'll be close enough). Don't use 220-age. While it may serve as a loose average, it has a huge standard deviation rendering it useless for individual use.

HRR = HRmax - HRrest

Exercise HR = % of target intensity (HRmax – HRrest) + HRrest

For example: Target intensity 70 % HRR for a person with HRmax 201 bpm and
HRrest 50 bpm

Exercise HR= 70% (201-50=151) + 50
Exercise HR=155 bpm

https://support.polar.com/us-en/support/Heart_Rate_Reserve__HRR

Here are Daniels HR zones:

You should have about 50-60% of training in the "easy" zone, 20-30% in the "long run" zone, and the last 10-20% in the rest of the zones.

I prefer to use HR as a secondary measure of training where pace and effort are the primary measures. But until someone can hone in on what "easy" truly feels like, HR is useful.

Thank you for the wisdom @DopeyBadger .

I looked through my Garmin statistics and grabbed the 4 week average resting heart rate (picking the maximum of the last two months) = 51 bpm.
I also looked for the maximum heart rate I recorded over the past 8 weeks. That was on April 21, 2020 during a 5k = 173 bpm. I did run a faster 5k on May 24, 2020, but my heart rate did not go as high. I must be getting in better shape...:).

Here are my calculations:

I will spend some time this week reviewing my heart rate during each run and see where it lands. I do not know if I can pull out the HR at each mile, but we shall see what I can gleam from the data.

Thank you for the wisdom @DopeyBadger .

I looked through my Garmin statistics and grabbed the 4 week average resting heart rate (picking the maximum of the last two months) = 51 bpm.
I also looked for the maximum heart rate I recorded over the past 8 weeks. That was on April 21, 2020 during a 5k = 173 bpm. I did run a faster 5k on May 24, 2020, but my heart rate did not go as high. I must be getting in better shape...:).

Here are my calculations:

View attachment 497139

I will spend some time this week reviewing my heart rate during each run and see where it lands. I do not know if I can pull out the HR at each mile, but we shall see what I can gleam from the data.

Calcs look good to me!

Run Away
by Anthem Lights

Take a breath, Take a break for a minute
Now I've gotta figure this out
I'm sick of fools, Sick of losers still winning
I get so turned around

The other shoe dropped
When I drew the last straw
Then the camels back broke
And I'm done pretending
Nothing can get me down

I'm a little unwell, Like I'm not myself
And I need another joke
Like I need a heat stroke
Gotta get out somehow

We can run away, We can take flight
We don't need a reason
We can ride all night
Don't worry the world won't break (d-d-down)
Don't worry just make your escape

We can disappear, Fade into the starlight
Never looking back, Somehow it's alright
Don't worry I don't care what they say
We can run, We can run, We can run away

I've always heard, Not to hide from the hard times
Maybe I should take it head on
What's the use, When it's crooked by design
Oh, I'd rather not be a pawn

The other shoe dropped
When I drew the last straw
Then the camels back broke
And I'm done pretending
Nothing can get me down

I'm a little unwell, Like I'm not myself
And I need another joke
Like I need a heat stroke
Save me before I drown

We don't need a reason
We can ride all night

Baby nothing can stop us
We can build our own metropolis
We got everything that we need
We can live a fantasy

Baby nothing can stop us
We can live a fantasy

We can run, We can run, We can run

We don't need a reason
We can ride all night

Baby nothing can stop us
We can live a fantasy

Baby nothing can stop us
We can live a fantasy

Baby nothing can stop us
We can live a fantasy

Baby nothing can stop us
We can live a fantasy

Oooohhhhhhh
(We can run, We can run, We can run away)

Doesn't matter where you wanna go
I can take you there, Just let me know
Doesn't matter where you wanna go
I can take you there

I'll give you everything, Just say the word
I'll spend my every breath, To let you learn
I'll give you everything, Just say the word
I can take you there

Week 11 of 43
  • Runs: 45 / 203
  • Miles so far: 246.98 mi.
  • Time on Road: 39:01:32
  • My ACWR for this week was 0.97 based on miles and 0.92 based on time.
  • This is also my fourth week of getting used to 4 runs back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I am hopeful that in the next couple of weeks my legs will not feel as tired.
Monday:
  • Went for a hike in the mountains. This was the first hike of the year with my DS. We went up Prairie View Mountain from Barrier Lake parking lot.
  • 6.42 miles for 2:25:21. Elevation Gain 1,785 ft. Avg. HR 108
Tuesday:
  • Ran 5.02 mi. in 0:43:00 with an average HR of 151
Wednesday:
  • rest day
Thursday:
  • 6.21 miles in 0:57:21 with an average HR of 153 bpm
  • Exciting day today, I went out and bought 3 more pairs of running shorts. It doesn't take much to get me excited. I figured I should start thinking of and collecting the running gear should be prepared to bring for Dopey.
Friday:
  • 6.23 miles in 0:56:40 with an average HR of 150 bpm
Saturday:
  • 6.34 miles in 0:55:30 with an average HR of 149 bpm
  • B-E-A-U - tiful day for a run...was 20 C when I started.
Sunday:
  • Went for a hike with DS and DD. This is the first hike of the year for DD, so we decided not to pick a very difficult trail. We did Fullerton Loop just West of Bragg Creek. 3.84 miles in 1:26:02 with an average HR of 99 bpm and an elevation gain of 781 ft.
  • This trail is now on my list of trail runs I will attempt this year. This will be good for hill running.
  • We got back home just before it started to pour. Unfortunately, I still had a run to do. I was not comfortable being in the rain, so I rushed it.
  • 3.38 miles in 28:41 with an average HR of 153 bpm and a pace of 8:28/mile
Month of May Summary:
  • 22 Runs
  • 126.35 miles
  • Time on Road 19:42:20
  • 3 cross-training additions: 2 hikes, 1 bike ride

This week got me a little concerned about the reopening of WDW. What is it going to be like in January? Will they allow us to book an onsite hotel? Maybe I should consider booking offsite in Disney Springs as a backup plan right now until they allow me to book on property Will they make park tickets available? If they do, will I be able to get in/reserve park days?

So many unanswered questions right now. I need to give it a little more time before I worry too much about it.

Have a great week. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Last edited:
I Run For Life
by Melissa Etheridge

It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still running
She'll tell you it makes her complete

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth, for all that is real
I run for your mother, your sister, your wife
I run for you and me my friend
I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin
And they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To awake when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running
I'll tell you I run for us all

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for life

And someday if they tell you about it
If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember her
Remember me
We will be running as we have before
Running for answers
Running for more

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for life

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for your mother, your sister, your daughter, your wife
For you and me my friend
I run for life

I run for life

Week 12 of 43
  • Runs: 47 / 203
  • Miles so far: 271.96 mi.
  • Time on Road: 43:02:39
  • My ACWR for this week was 0.88 based on miles and 0.90 based on time.
  • This is also my fifthweek of getting used to 4 runs back-to-back-to-back-to-back.
Monday:
  • Took a rest day. Felt guilty for no cross-training, but felt good to rest.
Tuesday:
  • Ran 6.29 mi. in 0:56:58 with an average HR of 149
  • Got to get that HR lower!
  • Went for an evening walk with my son and daughter - 2.04 mi. in 0:35:49s
Wednesday:
  • rest day
Thursday:
  • 6.21 miles in 0:55:45 with an average HR of 152 bpm
  • Again...need to slow down!
Friday:
  • Went for a quick afternoon hike in the mountains. We did the first 276 ft of elevation gain on Opal Ridge North Trail. This was a very good leg workout. Felt the beginnings of a strange cramp on the inner-lower right calf after this hike.
  • Ran 6.28 miles in 1:04:44 with an average HR of 136 bpm
  • That is much better for my HR. I will try and keep my pace down in this zone for the next bunch of runs.
  • Noticed the niggle in my calf again. I wonder if this is related to me intentionally trying to move my right foot placement lately. I was noticing a little soreness on the outside of my right ankle the last few weeks and decided it was me turning my right foot inward a little too much when I run. Therefore I have been trying to rotate my right foot outward a little more to see if the pain goes away.
Saturday:
  • 6.20 miles in 1:03:40 with an average HR of 136 bpm.
  • Today is the day that my city has the #footstock races. Noticed a few signs on the path today asking everyone to be safe and that they would see us next year for footstock 20201.
  • There we go! two days in a row with a slower pace to get that HR down.
  • That darn niggle in my calf. It got a lot worse today. Also felt a bit of it my the hamstring as well. This must be because of me trying to change my foot placement.
  • Had to stop running at 5.5 and walk the rest/ well gingerly walk.
Sunday:
  • Well I Limped around the house for most of evening on Saturday and woke up with a very stiff right leg (calf). That means no run today.
  • Spent most of the day trying to not put to much pressure on the leg and stretch it a bit. Hopefully it will be good to go on Tuesday.

I spent some more time researching gels and how I would fuel myself during these longer runs. I built up an excel chart for me to better understand how I will do this. Thanks to others posting about Huma Gels. I think they may be the ones I try first. I still need to figure out what the marketing difference is between: Huma, Huma Plus and Huma XL.

Looks like I will try and take one gel every 30 minutes starting at hour one of a long run. Each gel I will also try and slug back an entire bottle of water (500ml). I am a little nervous that I will be feeling a large amount of water in my stomach during all of this, but we shall see how it goes.

Have a great week. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I did some self-diagnosis today to try and figure out what happened. I think I may have strained my Soleus muscle.

I did the test where you stand on a stair straight legged and do a calf raise to see if it hurts. Then you repeat the same raise again, but this time do it with a bent knee. If the pain is greater with the bent knee, it leans towards being the Soleus muscle.

Who knew I would need to learn Kinesiology while being a runner.:crutches:

I believe I fell into my old habits of doing too much running to soon. It is a hard habit to break.

Lesson learned...hopefully it sticks this time around! On to active rehab and tweaking my running plan for Dopey 2021.

Break My Stride
by Mathew Wilder

Ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on movin'
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I got to keep on movin'

You're on the road and now you pray it lasts
The road behind was rocky
But now you're feeling cocky
You look at me and you see your past
Is that the reason why you're runnin' so fast
And she said

Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Oh no, I got to keep on moving

Never let another girl like you work me over
Never let another girl like you drag me under
If I meet another girl like you, I will tell her
Never want another girl like you, have to say, oh

Nobody gonna slow me down
Oh no, oh no, I got to keep on moving

Oh no, oh no, I got to keep on moving

Oh no, I got to keep on moving

Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh no

Week 13 of 43
  • Runs: 47 / 203 (still at 47 no change from last week).
  • My ACWR for this week was 0 based on miles and 0 based on time.
  • It took a lot of will power to not run at all this week.
Monday:
  • Still in a lot of pain. I am hobbling around the house hoping this leg pain goes away.
Tuesday:
  • Pain is much less. I am starting to be able to walk again without pain in my right calf region.
Wednesday:
  • Had to find another activity to try and keep moving, but not hamper the healing of my calf.
  • Did a test ride on my Mountain bike today.
  • Rode 6.33 miles in 0:33:34.
  • Avoided major hills so I did not have to use my calf muscle to climb. Felt good to get out.
  • Went for an evening walk with the kids.
  • Walked 2.01 miles in 00:35:21.
Thursday:
  • Leg is feeling better each and every day.
  • Went for another Walk: 2.02 miles in 0:32:14.
  • Made the mistake of playing hopscotch. I saw a course setup in chalk and figured I give it a shot. That was a mistake!
Friday:
  • Time to get in a good leg workout today.
  • Went for a Hike in the Mountains.
  • Did 3/4 of the length of Cox Hill Trail: 5.08 miles, 1,821 feet elevation gain, time 2:21:26.
  • Made sure not to step up on my tippy-toes to save my calf muscle. That time will come in about a week.
Saturday:
  • Went for another bike ride today.
  • 13.73 miles in 1:10:51.
Sunday:
  • Went for another bike ride today.
  • 13.39 miles in 1:10:16.

Early on in the week I was down in the dumps about not being able to run. It is funny how the brain works. I was having negative thoughts that all the work I have put in so far is down the drain and I will have to start over from zero when I am healthy again.

Once I got out of my own pitty-party I realized that I need to use this time to work on other areas for strength that I typically ignore. This is probably the reason I got injured in the first place. Time to put in the cross-training and make it part of routine from this point forward. "Ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride..."

I figure I will give myself another week of rest from running and then see if I can do a calf raise with my right leg. Hopefully the pain will be gone by then and I can ease myself back into running. In the meantime, time to enjoy hikes in the beautiful rocky mountains and long hypnotic rides on my bike. I forgot how much I used to love riding my bike!

I hope everyone's training is going well. Have a wonderful week!

Rest is the best. It's annoyingly true--hard to do, but really is what the body needs.

I like your hopscotch jaunt. At the beginning of our COVID stay at home, I would see lots of different hop scotches and other "courses" chalked out on the local sidewalks. I did one while I was out on a run, (including the mid-air twirl that I thought was a required step in one) cause it seemed like the thing to do. A second later I hear two people yell out "Woohoo" and clap. Apparently, many people appreciate a good hopscotch!

Sorry to hear your are still dealing with injury but I applaud your proactive and sensible approach, often when hurt I have allowed my ego to dictate my actions and ended up much worse off, with the hiking and biking you will maintain your fitness and be back running strong in no time. 👍 stay safe

Col

Kill and Run
By Sia

Watching the sequence of sounds
Coming out of your mouth
But the snore is too loud
Follow the hands as they move
Try to make out your move
But my brain doesn't want to
Silent call for you
What have I done to you

Kill and run, kill and run
I'm one of the dirty guns
A bullet through your heart

Interpret the eyes as they die
Should i cry should I love
Your poor lashes blow
Victim of sensory love
You cry over my
An innocent call

Silent call for you
What have I done to you

Week 14 of 43
  • Runs: 47 / 203 (still at 47 no change from last week).
  • My ACWR for this week was 0 based on miles and 0 based on time.
  • It took a lot of will power to not run at all this week.
Monday:
  • The pain in my leg is much less now. I can feel it every once in a while if I step wrong.
  • Went for a Hike in the Mountains.
  • Completed Jumping Pound Summit Trail.
  • 4.14 miles in 1:48:46. Elevation gain 1,401 feet.
Tuesday:
  • Pain is much less. I was able to do a double-legged calf raise without a sharp pain
  • It is still on the mend, I can feel a dull pain and tightness.
Wednesday:
  • Did a 1 mile test run on the leg to see if I could handle it.
  • The pain began to return. I can feel it just below the ball of my calf. Strange part is I can also feel it up in my hamstring.
  • 1.01 miles in 0:10:17.
  • Limped around the house for the rest of the night.
Thursday:
  • Back to the bike. Since I cannot sustain a run longer than 1 mile yet.
  • 15.25 miles in 1:14:00
  • I was able to do a lot of hill climbing on the mountain bike this week. Last week I could not even put pressure on the pedal that involved the calf muscle. That seems like progress to me!.
Friday:
  • Did a 1 mile test run on the leg.
  • The pain began to return. Just like last time. Very tight in the hamstring as well.
  • 1.07 miles in 0:09:57.
  • Iced my calf with a bag of frozen peas after to try and reduce inflammation.
Saturday:
  • Since the running is not back yet, went for a hike in the mountains.
  • Climb Prairie Mountain.
  • 2,215 feet elevation gain over 4.46 miles in 01:53:36.
  • Now that was a brutal leg workout!
Sunday:
  • Had planned on riding the bike today, but legs are soar from yesterday's mountain climb.
  • Mentally I lost the battle and did not go for the ride.

Well, I could not hold back trying to get running again and found out I was not ready yet. I have, however, noticed great improvements during my hiking and biking. I do not feel the tenderness like I used to last week. I can now do calf raises.

I think I will start doing those Soleus - stretching and strengthening exercise this week. That will be a true test on whether my leg is ready or not to continue the long distance training. Anything over a mile will be considered a win for me right now,

I hope everyone's training is going well. Have a wonderful week!

Sorry to hear you recovery has been slower than you had hoped for , hopefully the improvement you have noticed during biking and hiking will translated through to the running over the coming week. I was only a few weeks ago i was doing 1 mile test runs following my injury to i can understand you frustration get get back out there.

Take it easy and stay safe,

Col

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter