Sad new - Good bye Matt

denyd

Mouseketeer
I just read that Matt Quimet has left Disney to become the President of Starwood Hotels. For those unaware of what Matt has done, a quick recap. Matt moved to managing DL from the Disney Cruise Lines and quickly (2+ years) brought the DL resort back to glory after the near fatal conditions created by the prior management team (For examples of their style see Winne the Pooh, the Snow White Show and the run it til it breaks ride maintenance philosophy). Credit Matt for success of the 50th Anniverary with new parade, fireworks and the major overhaul the entire park recieved, as well as the getting the Buzz ride, the POTC update and the upcoming Nemo ride (the prior admin wanted to pave the area and move in vending carts). He also deserves a pat on the back for understanding that people come to Disneyland for the attractions and a good meal, not the shopping and ODV carts.

Your successor will have a hard act to follow.

So once again THANK YOU MATT

:wave2: :banana: :cool1: :cheer2:

I've been reading about this. I'm sad to see Cast Member Matt go, but hopefully his replacement will maintain the standard that Matt has set.

Where'd you hear this at? I talked to him on July 17th and he sure didn't act like he was going anywhere.

The announcement is on the main page of this site and mouseplanet.com.

They also announce the name of his replacement.

While Matt has done a good job getting the park into shape, employee relations are suffering. Employees are way under paid and over worked. The turn over rate is way too high, and service is suffering. Hopefully his replacement will be able to find the balance of keeping the park up and treating the employees like the assets they are.

Alex2kMommy said:
Anybody know anything about his replacement?
He is being replaced by Ed Grier, a 25-year Disney veteran who most
recently oversaw the company's operations of Tokyo Disney Resort.

I was really bummed to read about Matt leaving. I think he's been such an asset to Disneyland - and in just two years. I also hope that his successor will continue to keep a positive focus on the park.

hlbtimes2 said:
While Matt has done a good job getting the park into shape, employee relations are suffering. Employees are way under paid and over worked. The turn over rate is way too high, and service is suffering. Hopefully his replacement will be able to find the balance of keeping the park up and treating the employees like the assets they are.
hlb and I are once again in agreement.

I do not know enough to know why the DLR cast members are so poorly paid. But they are, and it is amazing that the ones that remain are able to still provide an overall excellent Disney experience.

This .........STINKS!! Why didn't he go back to DCL?? IMHO (don't know) 'if' he tried/failed to get better wages for CMs(?) Maybe he just wanted "out" of the system. :confused3 :sad2:

hlbtimes2 said:
employee relations are suffering. Employees are way under paid and over worked. The turn over rate is way too high, and service is suffering.

dang that sounds like where I work...god help us if my company took over disney :scared1:

It sounds like some people may be giving Matt too much credit. As for wages, aren't most theme park employees underpaid? In this aspect, Disneyland is no different. It Matt was only the DLR President for 2 years, he has sure been given a great deal of credit. That little bit of time doesn't seem like enough to make someone the savior that he is being hailed.

One thing is for sure tought. Matt went to where the money and the best opportunity was. It sounds like president of DLR was a stepping stone to something bigger. And this new role sounds much bigger than DLR.

exDS vet said:
It sounds like some people may be giving Matt too much credit. As for wages, aren't most theme park employees underpaid? In this aspect, Disneyland is no different.

Disney employees used to be paid pretty well. In 1980 they were making, on average $9.90 an hour which would be about the same as making $25 per hour now. Because of the low wages they are WAY understaffed. They have thousands of open positions, especially in food services, which is why wait times to get food are often 40-60 minutes at peak times.

I hadn't heard about this yet..

While I agree that wages are low, they don't really seem to be that out of line with other amusement parks. Also, remember the workers are unionized. If they were that upset about the wages, they could have not approved their contract a few months ago and fought for more.

exDS vet said:
It Matt was only the DLR President for 2 years, he has sure been given a great deal of credit. That little bit of time doesn't seem like enough to make someone the savior that he is being hailed.

That comment is as provocative as it is untrue. Without Matt, there would have been no Mickey's Halloween Treat or California Food and Wine Festival, both of which I enjoyed and am looking forward to enjoying again. He also redirected priorities that his predecessor placed on merchandising at the expense of attractions and clearly finessed upper Disney management to spend more money on the parks. On the other hand, under his watch, employee relations have clearly hit new lows, and his tightening of policies seems to have resulted in many good employees hitting the road.

This is sad news. Matt was such a positive force in the short time he was at DL. Hopefully his replacement will continue the standard Matt has set.

Too much credit! The plans for the 50th were in place before he arrived, as well as Buzz and other improvements.

familyoffive said:
Too much credit! The plans for the 50th were in place before he arrived, as well as Buzz and other improvements.
That is not entirely true. The majority of the plans in place prior to Cynthia Harris leaving were scrapped just before the change over

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter