safe to walk down S Harbor Blvd/Chapman Ave?

Whiskers

Mouseketeer
We're staying at a hotel on Harbor Blvd and when I looked for a close grocery store Vons on Chapman came up. Mapquest says it is only 0.88 miles away. That would be OK to walk there (and cab back I guess with the groceries). Anyway - is it a safe neighbourhood to walk around - it is abit of a distance away from DL so I'm not sure.

I've walked around South Harbor Drive around the McDonald's/IHOP area and I've always felt safe. The sidewalks are nice and wide, the street is well lit, and there's always someone walking around.

South of the park where Bill has walked isn't bad as it's in the resort area and there are always lots of people walking around. Nice bright lights etc. Harbor and Chapman is a big difference. They've actually updated the Harbor and chapman area, but it's still not the greatest. I'm trying to think where there is a vons there. Not sure. I would not walk this area at night, especially at night with kids. (though i High school we did because we were stupid, and that's where our boyfriends lived, coming from a nice area we didn't realize what we were doing). I do think they've cleaned up the area a bit, but you used to be able to buy women on this stretch (and lots of other things).

What hotel are you staying at.

you might ride to the closest hotel (or stop), get off, shop, and wait for the ART back.

That's my good suggestion.

My better suggestion is, do what people here have suggested and have Albertsons (I think that's the grocery store they've mentioned) deliver your order! Someone mentioned it costing around $10. It would be more than worth it in time and hassle! Maybe someone else can post the link about how to contact the grocery store directly.

By the end of 5 days of nonstop walking, even an extra mile was not something I would have wanted to do!

I'd try to take a cab there. It's not the best of areas.... not too bad either but, I wouldn't walk it. I also believe it'll end up being longer than you think.
I see someone mentioned having your groceries delivered... I think that's the best idea yet!

dletz said:
South of the park where Bill has walked isn't bad as it's in the resort area and there are always lots of people walking around. Nice bright lights etc. Harbor and Chapman is a big difference. They've actually updated the Harbor and chapman area, but it's still not the greatest. I'm trying to think where there is a vons there. Not sure. I would not walk this area at night, especially at night with kids. (though i High school we did because we were stupid, and that's where our boyfriends lived, coming from a nice area we didn't realize what we were doing). I do think they've cleaned up the area a bit, but you used to be able to buy women on this stretch (and lots of other things).

What hotel are you staying at.

Driving down Harbor, turn left on Chapman like you're headed to The Block. Vons will be on your left hand side, about 1/2 mile down. There's a Winchell's Donut in that complex and there's a Wienerschnitzel on the next corner.

lntsmom said:
you might ride to the closest hotel (or stop), get off, shop, and wait for the ART back.

That's my good suggestion.

My better suggestion is, do what people here have suggested and have Albertsons (I think that's the grocery store they've mentioned) deliver your order! Someone mentioned it costing around $10. It would be more than worth it in time and hassle! Maybe someone else can post the link about how to contact the grocery store directly.

By the end of 5 days of nonstop walking, even an extra mile was not something I would have wanted to do!

Oh this sounds like a GREAT suggestion! :cool1:
I had no idea we could do this! Does anyone have a link? I'll check their website too.
Thanks so much for the idea.
A couple of years ago we stayed at Homewood Suites and walked down to the Vons. I did get kind of a creepy feeling - so didn't really want to do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter