• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Diego Zoo - Unique Things To Do?

batraylover

Earning My Ears
Anyone know of any unique things to do at the San Diego Zoo? We will be going on a Thursday, so I know we will be able to feed the giraffes, but does anyone else know of any other unique things to do at the zoo, that have a minimal cost on top of admission, in particular, things small kids would like? I know they have the children's/petting zoo, but the Wild Animal Park has the various interactive things the kids can do (egg shells to climb into, nests to sit in, statues to sit on to get your picture taken, a duck pond where you can pay to feed the ducks, etc) what does the San Diego Zoo offer that is unique, or that some people might miss that kids would really enjoy? I've been to the zoo in the past, but it's been a few years, we will be staying for night time zoo as well.

We're interested too! We have a son with ADHD and he needs to run around and play at times. I didn't see any playgrounds or Childrens activies on the web site. But it's in Balboa Park, so how long does it take to get from the zoo to the park?

I could be wrong on this, but I think the giraffe feeding is only at the Wild Animal Park, not the zoo. The giraffe enclosure at the zoo (last time I was there) was not condusive to giraffe feeding, while the WAP has an overlook that pretty much puts you at head height.

So I finally got a chance to go the zoo, we bought our passes finally! All though we did not stay long at all (took an eight year old who didn't handle the walking well), there was plenty to do for kids. There are lots of photo opportunity places we saw, like a giant turtle to sit on, a hippo laying in the ground to sit on, a polar bear cave you can get your photo in, polar bear statues you can climb on and have your photo taken with them, some of those wooden cut out things (bugs, flowers, etc) that you stick your head through and can have your photo taken, monkey masks you can lean up against and have your photo taken in, those little machines you put the quarters in and they are like binoculars on a stand, various animals (flamingo, giraffe, etc) that you can drop coins in to donate money to the Zoological society, and lots of other little things like that we found. You can feed the giraffes at the zoo, it's on the map and everything, and it said something about a nominal fee. I am not sure what the zoo's giraffe feeding set up looks like compared to the San Diego Wild Animal Park's, but I know that you can only feed the giraffes at the zoo on Thursdays thru Sundays, at least right now when they are on their summer hours, even though their website says Saturday and Sundays only, that could be only in the winter, at least when we were there it was Thursdays-Sundays.

Unlike the Wild Animal Park, the zoo does not have a playground. The Wild Animal Park has a regular playground, as well as a water playground, either of which would make a cool addition to the zoo. The San Diego Zoo does have a lot of things geared towards Children though, the Sea Lion show is excellent, and they ask for a child volunteer, if you sit in the front five rows or so in the center section, and your kid shows a lot of enthusiasm, your child is much more likely to get selected to be in the show, and unlike Sea World, and other places, they don't pre-pick the volunteer out of the audience, until the show is in progress, then they look for a kid excited about volunteering. The child gets a magnet for helping out. There are also character meet and greets near the entrance to the zoo. We got our picture taken with Monty Meerkat because I am a meerkat fanatic, and the child in our group got her picture taken with the koala as well. The map shows a hippo and a panda but I do not know if and when they make appearances as well. There are also kids shows, even a puppet type show (it was Thumbelina when we were there). There is also the Skyfari ride (additional cost), the bus tour (additional cost), and a 3d motion ride thing that I don't know much about, looks like one of those virtual reality things, I think it was safari themed (additional cost).

As for how far the zoo is from Balboa Park, I am not too familiar with Balboa Park, as for what is located there and where everything is, but the land that the zoo is sitting on is considered to be part of Balboa Park. There is a train ride within walking distance of the zoo, and there is a nominal fee for the train ride.

I am going again on Thursday this week, this time with no kids, to check out night time zoo, and all of the ins and outs, so if anyone has any "odd" questions, feel free to post them, and I would be happy to answer them when I go.

Like I said, any specific questions, and I can answer them when I go Thursday, if you ask them before then. I am going without kids so I can really explore and do more and see more at the zoo. Hard as it is to believe, when I took the eight year old last week, we saw flamingos, a few gift shops, the Children's Zoo (skipped the nursery), the Sea Lion Show, the wild something or another show (it was about cats), Birds of Prey, the pandas, the polar bears (they were sleeping), went on the Skyfari in one direction (even though we could ride unlimited for free with the passes), and some pigs. We did not see any of the "large" animals no lions, tigers, bears, gorillas, apes, etc, I was rather dissappointed that she was ready to go home when she was (after only a couple hours), especially when we had packed for a whole day, brought a small soft sided cooler, fans, drinks, the sipper bottles, the whole nine yards, oh well, kids will be kids. lol

Thanks for the review and suggestions, batraylover! I would love to hear anything you expereince about night time zoo. My DNeph(8) and I will be visiting the zoo soon and we're trying to decide whether we'd get there at opening, or go late morning and stay till closing. We may do both, and just chill out in the afternoon at the shows - he's a super touring trooper and animal fanatic (has attended our local zoo camp for the last several summers) - wonder if he could do 10-12 hours? - wonder if I can ;) ?!! :smooth:

bjakmom said:
wonder if he could do 10-12 hours?
Good luck with that! I will definately post my thoughts on night time zoo once I go on Thursday. The little girl I took (not my own), lasted from zoo opening (9am) until around 12 noon, wanted to see a show that was not until 1:30 so I pushed her to stay longer, and she made up for it by making the day at the zoo pretty miserable. We had intended on staying for night time zoo (her idea actually), but it just did not happen. I bet I will enjoy the zoo a whole lot more without kids, LOL. If I remember correctly, mornings at the zoo were sort of quiet, I think the first show we wanted to see did not start until 12:30 or something like that, and that was the Sea Lion show. We ended up seeing almost all of the animals we saw before the first show (which wasn't very many). Unfortunately, many of the animals, with the exception of the Pandas and the flamingos were sleeping, so I am anxious to see what kind of timing I can come up with on Thursday to see some animals that are doing something more than sleeping, and I am determined to see the Polar Bears, who never seem to be awake when I am at the zoo, no matter when I go, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter