San Diego zoo

GailT

<font color=blue>I'm ba-ack!!!!<br><font color=mag
I was wondering how long of a ride is it to the zoo? I am going back to DL in September and would like to add something different but I hate driving in the car., help?

We are taking this trip over Easter from DL to seaworld and the zoo. I thought about 1 1/2 hours on a weekend, but I just read 2 hours. Therefore, we opted to stay in San Diego overnight. From what I hear it is worth the trip! :banana:

As with going anywhere in southern California, it depends on traffic. Given normally-moving traffic you should be able to make it from Disneyland to the Zoo in about an hour and a half. BUT if you're going south on a Saturday, and you don't leave before 9:00 in the morning it can take a LOT longer. And if you're driving back on Sunday, after about 1:00 in the afternoon, that can take a lot longer, too.

As far as weekdays go...if you leave Disneyland after about 8:00 you should be ok, but you will want to be on your way back to Disneyland no later than 2:30 - and even then you'll hit traffic, though hopefully not too bad.

Have you considered taking the train down instead? You can catch it in Anaheim and get off in downtown San Diego, and catch a cab from there to the Zoo. Parts of the train tracks are right along the coast and it can be quite scenic. If instead of the Zoo you are interested in seeing Old Town, you can catch the San Diego Trolley -the station is block or so from the train station - and go to Old Town via Trolley.

You can also take the bus from near the train station and it lets you off right near the zoo parking lot--at least it used to.

We live in SD and travel back and forth all the time to DL and knotts and such. It takes a good 2 hrs even without to much traffic ,but dont let the time fool you there is always traffic.

I also drive at about 75 so am not a slow driver. Your best bet is to stay over night. Both the zoo and SeaWorld are all day events...

I would leave Anaheim at around 10:00 and no earlier....the weekend you could get by with around 9am....if you come back the same day than I would hit the road at around 8:00 pm weekend you can play with the time. But if it is nice out you will run into some beach traffic around Carlsbad.

Sunday night you will hit some traffic from people coming back from there visit here in SD...but not to bad if you wait till 8pm

If you can stay for 2 days that would give you the opertunity to visit both SeaWorld and the zoo...but be prepared the zoo is up and down hills and it can get very tireing. The zoo is i at Balboa park and we have tons of Museums there. The train Museum and Space museum the kids love ...along with other fun one to visit.

There is sooooo much to see and do here that I could go on forever but the zoo is a must and if never been to Sea World than that is a must also:thumbsup2

Have a great time and if I can answer anything else for you than you can also PM me....

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't think I am going to the zoo :sad1:

[QUOTE="Got Disney";17579655]We live in SD and travel back and forth all the time to DL and knotts and such. It takes a good 2 hrs even without to much traffic ,but dont let the time fool you there is always traffic.

I also drive at about 75 so am not a slow driver. Your best bet is to stay over night. Both the zoo and SeaWorld are all day events...

I would leave Anaheim at around 10:00 and no earlier....the weekend you could get by with around 9am....if you come back the same day than I would hit the road at around 8:00 pm weekend you can play with the time. But if it is nice out you will run into some beach traffic around Carlsbad.

Sunday night you will hit some traffic from people coming back from there visit here in SD...but not to bad if you wait till 8pm

If you can stay for 2 days that would give you the opertunity to visit both SeaWorld and the zoo...but be prepared the zoo is up and down hills and it can get very tireing. The zoo is i at Balboa park and we have tons of Museums there. The train Museum and Space museum the kids love ...along with other fun one to visit.

There is sooooo much to see and do here that I could go on forever but the zoo is a must and if never been to Sea World than that is a must also:thumbsup2

Have a great time and if I can answer anything else for you than you can also PM me....[/QUOTE]

As much as I would love to see the zoo I am going to pass on that. I have MS and when I read "...but be prepared the zoo is up and down hills and it can get very tireing" I knew that wasn't for me. last year just doing DL and vegas I had to come back hme a day early, I thought I was losing my legs but my doctors said that is normal with all the walking I did. This time I am even renting a car in Vegas, I don't want the same thing to happen. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter