San Francisco and Hearst Castle ?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
Hello. Planning on a trip to San Francisco and Hearst Castle. It will Be me Dh and DD18. I'd like to keep it budget . We want to spend a day or two in Frisco and go to Alcatraz, go to the pier and eat some clam chowder, ride the trolley and do some shopping.

Lodging is super expensive so where can we stay that wont be to expensive but a decent hotel no cheapy motel 6 type things. Is there a neighboring city that is nice area and good price to send the night???? Same thing when visitng Hearst castle? What else is there to do near the castle?

Would love to hear some tips, adivice on where to stay, eat, see or do. Thanks

I go to SF often for work. Depending on what is going on in the city, the hotel I stay in ranges from $200 up to $800 when there is a big convention going on. When it gets pricey I usually stay up north. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Mill Valley that is affordable and pretty nice. Close to the main bus center up there so if you want to go to Muir Woods you can hop on one of those buses, or a bus to Sausalito. Sausalito is nice, and from there you can take a ferry down to the city, which is a nice ride that puts you at the old ferry building. From there you can catch a cable car to the wharf, etc.

You might also try places on the peninsula like Millbrae and San Mateo. You can easily take CalTrain or BART in to the city (fair warning: if you call it "Frisco" while you're there, you WILL get glared at - SFers are touchy about that) from Millbrae. Millbrae is near SFO, so there are a lot of airport hotels there that are reasonably priced. From places like San Mateo, Redwood City, and Palo Alto, you can take CalTrain.

I go to SF often for work. Depending on what is going on in the city, the hotel I stay in ranges from $200 up to $800 when there is a big convention going on. When it gets pricey I usually stay up north. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Mill Valley that is affordable and pretty nice. Close to the main bus center up there so if you want to go to Muir Woods you can hop on one of those buses, or a bus to Sausalito. Sausalito is nice, and from there you can take a ferry down to the city, which is a nice ride that puts you at the old ferry building. From there you can catch a cable car to the wharf, etc.
How long from. Sausalito on ferry ride to ward? We will be driving from so cal

Since SF is nowhere near Hearst Castle, I'm assuming you're driving up the coast from DL? Hearst Castle has several tours and you could spend all day there, or split a day between there and the beach. If you want to spend a whole day in the San Luis Obispo area, I'd drive up, spend 2 nights (there are hotels in every budget in the area, but if you're looking for cheap you will be in a Motel 6 type place), then head up to SF. Price really depends on the season you're going. Up in SF, as PP have said, you can get a nice place if you stay outside the city.

Since SF is nowhere near Hearst Castle, I'm assuming you're driving up the coast from DL? Hearst Castle has several tours and you could spend all day there, or split a day between there and the beach. If you want to spend a whole day in the San Luis Obispo area, I'd drive up, spend 2 nights (there are hotels in every budget in the area, but if you're looking for cheap you will be in a Motel 6 type place), then head up to SF. Price really depends on the season you're going. Up in SF, as PP have said, you can get a nice place if you stay outside the city.
No motel 6 type lodging but would like to stay under $200 a night. t beach type people so it would depend what else is out there to do. I know Dh want to so 2 days in San Francisco. If we stay outside of SF what will the commute be like on the weekend?

No motel 6 type lodging but would like to stay under $200 a night. t beach type people so it would depend what else is out there to do. I know Dh want to so 2 days in San Francisco. If we stay outside of SF what will the commute be like on the weekend?

Are you talking staying outside SF getting into the city? I work in the SOMA district, when i do have to stay outside and take the ferry, its about a 30 min boat ride and then a 10 minute walk. I have also stayed 30ish min BART rides from the nearest atation.

hubby is saying staying outside of SF and driving in to town. We've only been there once about 15 years ago for SIL graduation. We went to the wharf and walked down the street and shopped and walked by the water and went to a lil museum down the street.

I know Dh want to go to the wharf and eat clam chowder. Dh and I want to go to Alcatraz. DD just wants to go shopping and take pictures by the bridge. Other then that not sure what else is out there. I read main area is union square like night life so does that mean like clubs? We will have our 18 yr Daughter and no clubs for us but we want to have a nice time eating, sight seeing, entertainment

If going to Alcatraz, order tickets online early as they sell out fast.
If you are looking for deals go on these sites and put in the city

groupon.com
livingsocials.com
travelzoo.com

If going to Alcatraz, order tickets online early as they sell out fast.
If you are looking for deals go on these sites and put in the city

groupon.com
livingsocials.com
travelzoo.com
Union square is full of shopping. Very nice stores. I don't go to clubs so no idea there. There are so many places around the wharf to eat and in walking distance as well. Many little shops around to buy stuff for gifts as well.

There is a huge Farmers market at the Ferry building and places to eat there as well.

There is Boudins which is down a little bit from pier 39 and you can watch them make bread. They make the bread in different shapes. They have a deli and restaurant upstairs as well. Food is good.

It sounds like you are wanting to spend your time around the waterfront area at Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf so it might be worth it to just stay down there. You can usually get the Travelodge Fisherman's Wharf for around $200 though that might be too "Motel 6 like" or nicer places in the $300 range. It will be more expensive to stay but will save you tons of time in travel, driving through the city, finding parking etc. Like PP said, book Alcatraz tickets early because you probably won't be able to get them same-day on the weekend. The night tour is amazing!

When planning your route, keep in mind that a huge landslide at the end of has Highway 1 closed near Big Sur - it may not open again for a year. You won't be able to take the coastal route for most of the way.

Also....don't call it Frisco to anyone who lives there.....at least that was the rule when I lived there.....

I agree with the other OP Alcatraz sells out so, reserve your tickets in advance as it you wait too close to your travel date there will be no tickets available. There is a lot to see in SF Pier 39, Fisherman's warf, Ghirardelli Square. Maybe look into a SF City tour so you get to see a few things. As far as Hearst Castle there is a small type of shopping town there with restaurants etc which is cool to visit. I would but tickets for the tours in advance here also.

I agree with the other OP Alcatraz sells out so, reserve your tickets in advance as it you wait too close to your travel date there will be no tickets available. There is a lot to see in SF Pier 39, Fisherman's warf, Ghirardelli Square. Maybe look into a SF City tour so you get to see a few things. As far as Hearst Castle there is a small type of shopping town there with restaurants etc which is cool to visit. I would but tickets for the tours in advance here also.
Hubby checked Alt

Talked to hubby and we added up the trip. Its just adding up to be to pricey. Probably $1,200-$1300 or a lil more just for 4 nights. Alcatraz is already booked. I told hubby we can scratch out Hearst castle too, that would save around $280 on tours plus another $150-$200 on hotel, maybe another $150 for food and gas. I have a morning Dr. apt on the day after we return and 2 days later I go back to work. Kinda wish we could go earlier in the month but Hubby took the time off for my bday.

Hubby found a hotel by the airport
Holiday Inn on airport blvd $150 per night(north of the airport) no breakfast but close to Costco Ihop and Dennys etc
any ideas on that area and hotel?
and hubby is saying its more expensive on Thursday night by $20. We are going Thursday, Friday, sat come back sunday or monday

Talked to hubby and we added up the trip. Its just adding up to be to pricey. Probably $1,200-$1300 or a lil more just for 4 nights. Alcatraz is already booked. I told hubby we can scratch out Hearst castle too, that would save around $280 on tours plus another $150-$200 on hotel, maybe another $150 for food and gas. I have a morning Dr. apt on the day after we return and 2 days later I go back to work. Kinda wish we could go earlier in the month but Hubby took the time off for my bday.

Hubby found a hotel by the airport
Holiday Inn on airport blvd $150 per night(north of the airport) no breakfast but close to Costco Ihop and Dennys etc
any ideas on that area and hotel?

Well if you are going to stay down there its not too bad to get to the city. 30 minutes to the city on Bart. If you want to get to the wharf, take Bart to embarcadero, then take the cable cars to the wharf for a couple bucks. Or from tgat Bart station just walk across to the old Ferry building to eat or catch tr farmers market, etc. If you want to get to Marin, you can catch the Marin airporter, from the bus station you can take another bus down to saualito, just a couple stops. Or certain days can also take the shuttle to Muir Woods.

Well if you are going to stay down there its not too bad to get to the city. 30 minutes to the city on Bart. If you want to get to the wharf, take Bart to embarcadero, then take the cable cars to the wharf for a couple bucks. Or from tgat Bart station just walk across to the old Ferry building to eat or catch tr farmers market, etc. If you want to get to Marin, you can catch the Marin airporter, from the bus station you can take another bus down to saualito, just a couple stops. Or certain days can also take the shuttle to Muir Woods.
hubby is planning on driving into downtown. He needs to find out where is the best place to park. Then said we can walk around or take the cable cars. Does that sound like a good idea. Its been years since we've been there for Berkley graduation. I think we parked somewhere near the wharf and hungout there and walked down the street shopped and went down by the water.

Where's the best place to buy calm chowder in sourdough bowl?

I keep hearing about union square and china town. We want to do the lombart street, hubby mentioned a city tour??? I like eating good food, no fancy restaurants or foods. What are some must have /must try San Francisco food

hubby is planning on driving into downtown. He needs to find out where is the best place to park. Then said we can walk around or take the cable cars. Does that sound like a good idea. Its been years since we've been there for Berkley graduation. I think we parked somewhere near the wharf and hungout there and walked down the street shopped and went down by the water.

Where's the best place to buy calm chowder in sourdough bowl?

I keep hearing about union square and china town. We want to do the lombart street, hubby mentioned a city tour??? I like eating good food, no fancy restaurants or foods. What are some must have /must try San Francisco food

Well, there is a parking lot around the Boudin bakery, and they validate parking if you eat upstairsat the sit down part. Otherwise you can eat at the clam chowder hut place nearby. There is also a parking structure across the street at pier 39 parking structure, or you may find some at fishermans wharf, and another one on one of the piers. All depends on what kind if food you like and drinks etc. if you have a sweet tooth, the Biscoff store at the pier for a coffee and some Biscoff cookies. If you like Irish Coffee then I would walk up to the Buena Vista. If you like seafood, there are plenty of restaurants/stands around the wharf. Or walk across to the Codmother for fish and chips. Or just walk around and enjoy the atmosphere and find something that looks good to you. If you want to see a lot of the main attractions in a short time, i suggest those Big red Bus hop on hop off tours. You may be able to find a coupon or groupon for it.

I tend to eat at simpler places most of the time, Super Duper Burger for a good burger fries and shake, or Gott's Roadside at the old Ferry Building. Osha for thai food. If you go to China Town, House of Nan King is pretty good. But my MUST eat food in SF is Tonys pizza napolitano.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter