SanDiego Area?

zakerdog

Mouseketeer
We are combining our DL trip with some time in San Diego. I'm not at all familiar with the area so would appreciate any comments. I have booked some nights at the Best Western Blue Sea on Mission Beach. Is this a good area to be central to everything? Any comment on the hotel?

Mission Beach is a great area - the beach is nice and he people are fairly normal. There is a small theme park area and an old wooden coaster there. One of the most fun things we've done is rent a boat on Mission Bay - we rented at the Catamaran Resort. We cruised all over the bay - just be sure to wear sunscreen and reapply it OFTEN as that is the worst burn DH or I has ever had. I didn't reapply enough.

My favorite breakfast place in the US is the Broken Yolk in Pacific Beach - well worth checking out.

The area the hotel is in is great for taking long walks on the beach and I believe the Catamaran is across the main street from you. There are great restaurants there and lots of recreation that we were able to do even when we weren't staying there. We also had dinner at The Rusty Pelican - it is a neat seafood place (a chain but still good) and had the best views. The place may have changed but it was about 100 yards down from your hotel and was upstairs... Worth seeing what is in there now as the windows were huge and it was the best view I remember having other than at Anthony's down on the harbor.

thanks for the info, does anyone else have any comments or suggestions on what to do and see? Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Blue Sea? :wave2:

Still looking for someone that has stayed at the Best Western Blue Sea to comment - good or bad would be appreciated.

thanks

Hello there!

I did the same thing last March. We started at Disneyland at the Anaheim Portofino which we found to be really great. (We hated the CA adventure by the way - got tickets on Ebay which was a one day / two park pass), then went down to San Diego. The main road split into two at one point and I almost wound up in Mexico, but that's another story.

In San Diego, we stayed at a place called Paradise Point. This is a resort that is situated around water of some type (lake, bay, etc.). The rooms were all bungalows and there was a beach about ten steps outside my front door. I was debating staying there or an Embassy Suites in the hotel circle.

I kept calling up Paradise Point and asking them questions about the place. I usually talked to the same nice guy who seemed like some sort of old surfer hippy dude (we always wound up talking about Survivor for some reason). Finally, he said to me "what's keeping you from staying with us?". I told him about the other hotel and the fact it was a bigger room for my family of five and it was less money. He told me to hang on and came back and told me he would give me a one bedroom bungalow for the same price as a suite. He told me not to stay in hotel circle as it's right off the highway. He actually begged me to stay with them.

Well... that was an offer I couldn't refuse so I took him up on it. The location of Paradise Point (paradisepoint.com) was in San Diego/Mission Bay very close to Sea World and close enough to everything else. We spent our four days there going to Balboa Park Museums (certain days the museums are free), the San Diego Zoo, Legoland in Carlsbad (a must for anyone with kids up to 12), and a day at La Jolla and watching the sunset at the Pier by the Sea.

Paradise Point was as beautiful as my laid back friend said it would be. The bungalow was big, spacious and beautiful. My kids loved the ducks that walked across our front walkway and we spent a few hours walking along their beach and property. The pools were beautiful too, but it was too cold to go swimming although I did because I insisted on bringing a bathing suit and wouldn't let my wife have the pleasure of being right.

I guess that's a very long answer to the fact that no, I don't know anything about the Best Western.

if I can be of any help to you otherwise, please let me know.

Oh yes, one other thing. The day our plane arrived (the day before Disneyland, which is more than doable in one day), we went to the California Science Center which was fantastic.

That's all... have fun!

Slappy - Great information, sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I am really looking forward to this trip and making lots of notes from recommendations received from the boards.

thanks again

Still looking for someone that has stayed at the Best Western Blue Sea to comment - good or bad would be appreciated.

thanks
:wave:

We had reservations at Blue Sea then found a deal at Paradise Point, now I would not stay anywhere else, I love paradise Point.
As for things to do, My daughter loved sea world, and so did I. The zoo is a must see, it is very big and great fun. Last year when my daughter was 4 we did legoland in carlsbad (north of S.D.) and she enjoyed it. An amusement park for younger kids. Also did the wild animal park (this is northeast) and it was ok, but the zoo was better. I wished we had time for the park next to the zoo (the name escapes me for the moment) but we did not.
Since we stayed at Paradise point we spent time at the resort, great pool, beaches on the bay and enjoyed just walking over the 44 acre property feeding the ducks and the fish at the barefoot bar and grill.
This year we are going to disneyland, but I still dream of going back to paradise point and S.D.

Another thumbs up for Paradise Point. Was there for a conference. Beautiful grounds, centrally located, great pool. I like the bungalow concept, too. Tripadvisor.com has some very negative reviews on the place. Before the conference planner booked the hotel, she personally went there to check it out based on reviews and it was fine. I think they have recently remodeled the rooms and everything was ice and new.

Never stayed there but the reviews on Tripadvisor suggest that it is on a party beach, meaning it's really not for families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter