Santa Monica Pier - what is the real deal

back2disney

DIS Veteran
Is it that bad or just bad relative to some of the other beaches.
A co-worker of mine just moved from LA and recommended the Pier as the place to go. Inexpensive but really good fish restaurants and amusement fun on the pier. He seemed very knowledgeable as he was able to tell me areas to avoid that I had never before seen or heard mentioned before.

my own reply..
Another co-worker just came back from so-cal and said he went to Will Rodgers or something Rodgers beach a mile or so south of santa monica pier and said it was nice. Huntington Beach he said was more for teens..

correction: the romantic restaurants are said to be at manhatten beach. not sure what type of food is by santa monica pier

I went there couple of years ago. It was a fun stopover visit. We did not sunbath. We were roaming around, parked ...did the walk thru.....and basically returned to car. Then we drove to Venice and enjoyed our walkthru there.

He may have been talking about Redondo Beach, nicer for swimming than Santa Monica Beach (don't swim here). The pier is nice, but the rides are nothing like Disneyland quality or fun. It's historical, (there's a neat old carousel that I believe was featured in the movie The Sting), but honestly, I don't find as much to do on the pier (except summer when they have concert series or movies on the pier, which is fun). But that's me.

However, the area does have it's charms. You can walk from the pier to Venice Beach along the "boardwalk" which is a nice, quiet, interesting, beautiful at sunset, kind of thing to do. The prominade a block away is chock full of great restaurants, stores, movie theaters, street performers, and people/celeb watching.

Santa Monica has a reputation sometimes of being unsafe because of our rather large homeless population. Truth is, it really isn't that bad. Most of them are harmless and will ignore you. And Santa Monica police are really on the ball. I've felt very safe living here. It's mostly a community of families and people who like cool ocean breezes and the quiet that comes from not being so close to the heaviest part of the traffic.

I agree, Santa Monica is a great area to spend some time, but the pier itself may be a little underwhelming. The "amusement park" is merely a few very expensive rides (a single ride on the ferris wheel was about $4), and a half dozen or so kiddie rides; its worth checking out because its something to see, but it's deffinatley not Disney quality.

The beach is nice though, and walking the pier is fun. The restaurant at the end (can't remember the name) had really good food, and there is tons of amazing food as you head into the Promenade area (Il Fornaio, Wolfgang Puck, PF Chang, trattorias, creperies, etc.). Shopping on the promenade and enjoying all the live entertainment are among my favorite L.A. area activities, so if you are looking to shop, eat well and enjoy being near the ocean this is a great spot, but if you are looking for a "beach day", I would look to other beaches (Malibu, Newport, etc.)

Thanks for replies. I will be going in December so hanging out for long on the beach/water is not feasible. But as a nice walk and unique scenery on the way back to the airport the pier sounds nice. Thanks again.

Was there in February - found it charming - yes, lots of homeless, but they were harmless, just wanted to be where it is warm, like the rest of us in February! Ate at Bubba Gumps on the pier, which was great, took my niece on the carousel and tried to keep her off the beach.{I agree - do not swim here]. Promenade was fun, and I had some of the best sushi I have ever had, wish I could remember the name of the restaurant!{In Santa Monica, not on the pier}.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter