Satu'li Canteen cheeseburger pods and other questions

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
My picky kid is super excited to try the cheeseburger pods at Satu'li Canteen on our upcoming trip but we were looking at the menu and I noticed in the description that it has pickles, mustard and ketchup in them. Can anyone who has had them comment how much of that stuff is in there? i mean is it sort of just "all mixed together and yummy"? or are there pockets of ketchup or mustard and how big are the pickle chunks and how much of it is in there? is it pick-outable after taking the first bite?

Also my son is 9, would the kid meal single pod be enough or should I get him the regular one? We will probably be there around 1:30 and have a CA Grill adr at 6pm so I don't want him to eat TOO much.

Also how does the kid meal bowl compare to the adult meals? I had bariatric surgery and can't eat much so I thought i'd order a kid version but it appears there is no sauce on the kid version. can you request it? we'd be doing mobile ordering. I assume there is no sauce because it is the "mickey check" option. I guess I could live without it... I'd probably get the lettuce and kale regardless so I don't mind the fewer choices for the base but kind of wanted to try the sauce. I guess I can just order the adult meal (it's only $4 more) and pitch most of it but it feels wasteful. Can anyone weigh in?

thanks

It's mixed up pretty good. I don't think you could pick anything out of the mixture but you could probably get the mixture out of the pod once you break into it. It's more like an Asian style bun, so you could even cut it in half first.

I have not eaten there (yet), but here is a google image search picture for you to give you an idea.
Inside-the-cheeseburger-pod-at-Santuli-Canteen-bao-buns-Disney-quick-serve-restaurant.jpg

The condiments weren't discernible except for taste. We all (non-picky kids 13-9) thought they were fine and homogenous. I hope he enjoys them!

Also how does the kid meal bowl compare to the adult meals? I had bariatric surgery and can't eat much so I thought i'd order a kid version but it appears there is no sauce on the kid version. can you request it? we'd be doing mobile ordering. I assume there is no sauce because it is the "mickey check" option. I guess I could live without it... I'd probably get the lettuce and kale regardless so I don't mind the fewer choices for the base but kind of wanted to try the sauce. I guess I can just order the adult meal (it's only $4 more) and pitch most of it but it feels wasteful. Can anyone weigh in?

If you can't get the sauce with the kid's bowl, I don't think you want it. You need the sauce to bring it alive. It would be like a salad without the salad dressing. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it with sauce if you order at the restaurant. If you do mobile ordering, and it's not an option, then you won't get the sauce.

We got a kid’s meal with cheeseburger pods and an adult steak bowl in September with my toddler great nieces. The little ones really liked the bowl. I wound up eating most of the pods so that they could have my bowl. LOL!

I liked everything there. The pods were tasty. The filling is uniformly chopped together so no worries about biting into a pickle or lump of mustard. :) I liked the pod itself; it wasn’t gummy or too much dough.

Would your son eat any of the meats that you can choose in a bowl? Maybe you guys could split one. You can get the sauce on the side, and it is a generous portion.

It is definitely all mixed up together - you cannot pick out anything but you can taste it all. My son really dislikes pickles and was worried but he really wanted to try them. You could definitely taste the pickle but he liked them so much he said he was willing to get over it - in fact when we returned a few days later he was excited to order them again. I guess a pickle taste is better to him than the actual texture of pickles or something.

We all thought they taste basically like a Krystal.
Yep, exactly like a Krystal.
I was going to say if you have one and he's eaten there, or White Castle for other areas of the country, you'd know if he likes them or not. They taste exactly the same. The only difference is you can pick out pickle, mustard, onion on a Krystal where they are all blended together with the pod, so you can't pick any of it out. But if you eat the Krystal as they are made, it's the same flavor as the pod.

It's mixed up pretty good. I don't think you could pick anything out of the mixture but you could probably get the mixture out of the pod once you break into it. It's more like an Asian style bun, so you could even cut it in half first.

I agree with skyblue... It's mixed well. Not really able to pick out anything. It was very good. I would think it would be very likeable for a child.

Sorry for being gross but when my DH and I tried them I commented to him that it was like eating a pre-chewed McDonald's cheeseburger. As a PP stated, you can TASTE the condiments but not "feel" them.

I have not eaten there (yet), but here is a google image search picture for you to give you an idea.
Inside-the-cheeseburger-pod-at-Santuli-Canteen-bao-buns-Disney-quick-serve-restaurant.jpg

I've been watching youtube reviews and they are just images of people eating it without saying much about it, lol. I saw that pic and was hopeful it was accurate about what the whole thing is like.

I thought he's had an asian style bun (I LOVE them) before but now I'm thinking he hasn't. They sell them at the supermarket (the bbq pork, which he also likes) so we'll give that a try at first. There is always the hot dog but he really wants to try this!

The condiments weren't discernible except for taste. We all (non-picky kids 13-9) thought they were fine and homogenous. I hope he enjoys them!

thanks! for him it's often more of a texture thing than a taste thing. I like to make ina garten's turkey meatloaf which has fresh sauteed onion in it and he tried it and was gagging and couldn't get it down... but swore it was the chunks and not the flavor. I made it the next time and pureed the onion mixture smooth and he devoured it. If there's no veggie chunks in it, he may very well enjoy the flavor, so I will let him give it a try if that is the case. Veggies (even soft cooked) are challenging for him.

If you can't get the sauce with the kid's bowl, I don't think you want it. You need the sauce to bring it alive. It would be like a salad without the salad dressing. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it with sauce if you order at the restaurant. If you do mobile ordering, and it's not an option, then you won't get the sauce.

thanks for the advice. It's only $4 more for a portion that is like 4x the size from what i can tell, and there are also other choices in base. I'm reading the greens base is not very well reviewed, but people really seem to like the hash base (not a kid meal option). It's not even so much about the money at that point (in the context of an entire disney vacation $4 is nothing, lol) but the waste gets to me (at home I will bring home leftovers). I am resigned to some waste at WDW but if i could get the kid meal and it was just as good it would not be an issue. The kid will not eat there rest of the stuff in the bowl but he would eat the meat and I'd been debating whether to get him a kid meal or the full meal with two buns. He eats a lot sometimes, not so much others (growth spurts lol). So maybe i'll just get a regular sized bowl and a kid's bun and let him share mine too.

We got a kid’s meal with cheeseburger pods and an adult steak bowl in September with my toddler great nieces. The little ones really liked the bowl. I wound up eating most of the pods so that they could have my bowl. LOL!

I liked everything there. The pods were tasty. The filling is uniformly chopped together so no worries about biting into a pickle or lump of mustard. :) I liked the pod itself; it wasn’t gummy or too much dough.

Would your son eat any of the meats that you can choose in a bowl? Maybe you guys could split one. You can get the sauce on the side, and it is a generous portion.

I addressed most of this above but great tip about sauce on the side, he would not enjoy the sauce (I saw that available in the mobile ordering section on the app). I'm not sure I would have thought of it though even though I know he might find the sauce objectionable. He loves steak so if I got the beef he'd be all over that. I can get him the single bun (was not sure it would be enough but with a lateish lunch don't want to pump him full before a 6pm dinner either)

my response this morning didn't get posted so I just hit send! will respond to the rest later thanks!

Last edited:
I've been watching youtube reviews and they are just images of people eating it without saying much about it, lol. I saw that pic and was hopeful it was accurate about what the whole thing is like.

I thought he's had an asian style bun (I LOVE them) before but now I'm thinking he hasn't. They sell them at the supermarket (the bbq pork, which he also likes) so we'll give that a try at first. There is always the hot dog but he really wants to try this!

thanks! for him it's often more of a texture thing than a taste thing. I like to make ina garten's turkey meatloaf which has fresh sauteed onion in it and he tried it and was gagging and couldn't get it down... but swore it was the chunks and not the flavor. I made it the next time and pureed the onion mixture smooth and he devoured it. If there's no veggie chunks in it, he may very well enjoy the flavor, so I will let him give it a try if that is the case. Veggies (even soft cooked) are challenging for him.

thanks for the advice. It's only $4 more for a portion that is like 4x the size from what i can tell, and there are also other choices in base. I'm reading the greens base is not very well reviewed, but people really seem to like the hash base (not a kid meal option). It's not even so much about the money at that point (in the context of an entire disney vacation $4 is nothing, lol) but the waste gets to me (at home I will bring home leftovers). I am resigned to some waste at WDW but if i could get the kid meal and it was just as good it would not be an issue. The kid will not eat there rest of the stuff in the bowl but he would eat the meat and I'd been debating whether to get him a kid meal or the full meal with two buns. He eats a lot sometimes, not so much others (growth spurts lol). So maybe i'll just get a regular sized bowl and a kid's bun and let him share mine too.

I addressed most of this above but great tip about sauce on the side, he would not enjoy the sauce (I saw that available in the mobile ordering section on the app). I'm not sure I would have thought of it though even though I know he might find the sauce objectionable. He loves steak so if I got the beef he'd be all over that. I can get him the single bun (was not sure it would be enough but with a lateish lunch don't want to pump him full before a 6pm dinner either)

my response this morning didn't get posted so I just hit send! will respond to the rest later thanks!
I asked a CM about the pods because I am picky and only eat cheese on my burgers. I still haven't decided if I'm going to try them or not, but the CM told me the pods used to only be meat and cheese. Either the CM doesn't know what they are talking about (which happens a lot) or the recently changed the pods to have condiments inside.

I asked a CM about the pods because I am picky and only eat cheese on my burgers. I still haven't decided if I'm going to try them or not, but the CM told me the pods used to only be meat and cheese. Either the CM doesn't know what they are talking about (which happens a lot) or the recently changed the pods to have condiments inside.
The CM didn't know what they are talking about

Sorry for being gross but when my DH and I tried them I commented to him that it was like eating a pre-chewed McDonald's cheeseburger. As a PP stated, you can TASTE the condiments but not "feel" them.

You should be a judge on Food Network!:) This description gave me such a visceral feel that I don't think I'll ever try these...which is probably okay b/c I'm sure the bowls are better:)

I ate there the week after Pandora opened and the flavors of pickles, mustard, ketchup were there. The CM is mistaken.

The CM had no clue. They had the same filling even back during previews with the ketchup, mustard, and pickle flavors.

I hope it is ok to tack on a question here since it fits the topic. Can anyone tell me if the "quinoa and vegetable salad" base is the same as the "romaine and kale salad" base with quinoa added in?

CM is definitely wrong. They were going for a generic McDonald's cheeseburger taste from the very beginning, and most of the country gets McD's cheeseburgers served with ketchup, mustard, and pickle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter