Saving $ - Studio and Insta Pot idea. Thoughts?

CollegePrgm2000

Earning My Ears
Aloha! I am planning a family trip to Aulani for (probably) October '19. We island hopped with my parents 6 years ago but were only able to reserve a single night's stay at Aulani that time (day after Christmas so it was pure luck!).

Anyway, now that our kids are older (will be 8 and 10) we'd like to go back and spend maybe 10 nights at Aulani. We have been fortunate to travel quite a bit (domestic/international) but try to do it as economically as possible. I am thinking about reserving a studio villa instead of a 1 bedroom to save about $2k. We aren't going to spend much time in the room anyway so I'm not concerned re: extra space. I also don't plan to dine much at Aulani. I am not spending $2k to eat for a week when there are alternatives.

My idea: buy an Insta Pot and a blender (for smoothies) when we arrive on Oahu. Go to Costco or Walmart for groceries every few days, local farmer's markets for produce. We can use the grills at the hotel, etc..

Question: Would Bring-Your-Own Insta Pot and blender be allowed in a villa? Or even a standard room? I would donate the appliances to Goodwill or something like that at the end of the trip.

I'm not trying to sound cheap and I know not everyone wants to cook on their vacation but Hawaii is expensive and there are alternatives to feeling like you must eat at a restaurant for every single meal. If I can save $3-4k on hotel and food we can splurge on a few other things or come back to Aulani more often! :)

Thoughts? Other ideas?

While there is no blender in the room, I think you can ask for one, so no need to buy one. I think the instapot is okay, maybe just check with the resort if they are okay with having them in the villas.

I'm with you on wanting to cook as much as possible. We were at Aulani for a week and only bought meals there twice (well three times if you count the luau). But I'm worried the kitchen area in a studio is too small to support 4 people eating most meals there for 10 days. The counter and fridge are are pretty small, not to mention the tiny sink for cleanup (though the studios only have paper plates and plastic cutlery so I guess you won't need to wash dishes). You'll be washing your Instant Pot in the bathtub though... There isn't really a table everyone can sit at together (with 4 people) very well either if that's important to you. Certainly some people could eat on the balcony or make it work- we've done plenty of creative table seating options for our family of 5 in various hotels- but it will be tight.

$2k is a lot. I hear you. But the studio will be very tight for 4 for that long in general and especially with hoping to do a lot of meals in the villa. Are you DVC/renting points or booking direct? If booking direct, I would highly recommend looking into renting DVC points.

I can't speak to whether its acceptable, but I don't see why not. I will caution though that the thought of 4 people in a standard studio would make me claustrophobic. The rooms are smaller than Aulani's standard hotel room, and with the sofa in the pull-out bed position, there is little space to walk in the room and the balcony door is blocked. Couple that with luggage taking up space and the fact that you plan to have meals in-room, I don't know where you'd have space for preparing and then eating a meal for a family of 4. Personally, in your case, I think the money is well spent on a DVC 1 BR (point rental) - not only would it give you extra space, but would give you a full kitchen which will broaden your options for meals during the course of your trip. You'll have a lot more choices of things to make in-room, which will be important for 10 days.

It is going to be SO TIGHT in a studio. I mean, it's workable but it certainly isn't optimal. You will be on top of each other and 10 nights is a looooong time.
InstaPot thought: keep in mind, this is my opinion, but you asked. I would never in a million years get one for a trip. It seems utterly nuts to me. If you are going to Costco anyway, you can stock up on many things that don't require that. There is a stove, microwave and rice cooker in the unit.

Oahu is very metropolitan. There are many restaurants that are not expensive. Plate lunch specials!

Every family has their own style of vacationing. You have to go with what's right for you guys and what fits your budget. You already know what to do.
You just need figure out where you fall on the spectrum of eating PB&J all week vs. eating every meal at Aulani at Disney prices.
PS--the Ulu Cafe next to the pool has a lot of reasonable options, healthy too!
Have a fantastic vacation!

It is going to be SO TIGHT in a studio. I mean, it's workable but it certainly isn't optimal. You will be on top of each other and 10 nights is a looooong time.
InstaPot thought: keep in mind, this is my opinion, but you asked. I would never in a million years get one for a trip. It seems utterly nuts to me. If you are going to Costco anyway, you can stock up on many things that don't require that. There is a stove, microwave and rice cooker in the unit.

I think the OP was trying to figure out how to cook in a studio which does not have a stove or rice cooker, just the microwave.

Oahu is very metropolitan. There are many restaurants that are not expensive. Plate lunch specials!

I'll also add that just up the road in Kapolei, one exit up not even a 10 minute drive, there are many chains and quick service type places that had prices we were used to back home. Just another option so you aren't stuck with Aulani pricing or tourist trap prices.

Oh that's right! NO stove in a studio. I forgot. I've stayed in a studio before, just plain spaced that out.
I still vote no on. It's just too much to deal with (for me). It's vacation, planning and cooking isn't on my agenda.

How about booking 3-4 nights in a 1 bedroom. Then the rest in studio? Use the full kitchen to cook up whatever you can freeze for the rest of the trip. You can definitely keep rice / beans / pasta / boiled eggs for a couple of days in the fridge. Then buy can food or whatever you can heat up in the microwave. Plate lunches are cheap. Order more for leftovers. Also consider not renting cars for all 10 days if you're not driving around every single day. I wouldn't eat in Aulani daily even if I can afford. Food is really great in Hawaii and try something different.

I totally see where you’re coming from, OP. We’ve thought through this same kind of scenario and — while I think the 1 bedroom is the way to go for us — it’s definitely worth considering. I tend to get “fooded out” on vacation so eating in is also a way for me to eat closer to how I normally do and then really be able to enjoy the fewer meals out.

One idea for you — I’d think about “pick food” meals that would basically be assembling easy ingredients. Think a meat/cheese/antipasto platter, store bought chicken or tuna salad with crackers and grapes, maybe nachos with microwaved refried beans, melty cheese and fresh salsa. Those can be easier to eat without a proper table and would go together quickly with next to no clean up. Even when we have a kitchen, a few meals like this work well for us.

Another idea if you decide on the studio —google “dorm room recipes” and you’ll get lots of no cook/microwave meal ideas.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic time! I’m loving starting to plan an Aulani vacation.

Last edited:
When we stayed in a studio, we bought bread, lunch meat, and some baby carrots and pretzels. Made for quick and easy lunches. We weren't trying to cook dinners in the studio, but this worked for us for something quick because we didn't care much for the options at Ulu at times.

Use the outdoor grills. Costco has amazing steak/seafood for the same price as you'd get it at home but amazing quality and we fit a Costco sized steak pack in the fridge. Grilled veggies, meats, got plain rice from Ulu. We had a studio and just cooked our meals there with like minimal to no prep in the kitchenette. The picnic tables were great, there's even a soda fountain nearby. Weekend nights it's all people who live locally staying over night and bringing food in with them and you can watch the sunset and listen to the luau while you cook. They've got tools you just return to the club room when you're done.

My GF said the steak she made from Costco was as good/better than the dinner we did at Ama Ama and the price was about $10/steak.

OP, I think the Instant Pot would be fine [have thought of bringing one to hotels myself], but would check with the resort to make sure they are ok with it. But they are safe small appliances and the rooms are intended to be cooked in, so it probably is fine. They may ask for no unattended cooking.

However, have you considered just using the microwave the room comes with ? Many many things can be cooked with just a microwave, especially if you have a couple good containers to help. We do this all the time at home and when traveling. And the studios have toasters, too.

A Fasta Pasta container is wonderful for cooking pasta: https://fastapasta.com/ [be careful of knockoffs]

And Sistema has a line of microwave specific containers https://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave and cooking instructions/recipes: https://sistemaplastics.com/recipes/entry/microwave-cooking-general-instructions

We find these containers pack well [packed full of other things] and make cooking when travelling easy when a microwave is available.

SW

If you're in a studio, at check-in you can request a rice cooker be delivered to your room. We thought about bringing an InstantPot mini, but the rice cooker was top quality and was exceptionally useful in making oatmeal, rice, steamed veggies, etc.

Yes, they will let you bring an InstantPot and blender into any room, though a Villa would be more acceptable.

EDIT: I would never recommend four people in a Studio Villa either. It's just too crowded and awkward. You'd be better off in a standard hotel room with the two beds an easier access to the balcony. In the Studio, the pull out bed really blocks the balcony door access and doesn't leave much room between it and the main bed, either. It's squishy.

Last edited:
We stayed in an ocean view studio with just DH & me and the minute I walked in I thought...wow...is this small.
And we stay at DVC studios all the time. Tiny studio BLT is a dream compared to Aulani's OV studio because of its galley kitchen area.

Aulani's OV rooms seem to be on a angle and the pull out couch was on an angle wall, seemingly making it even smaller. I can't imagine 4 people in there cooking and eating. One night I pulled out the couch to sleep on because both of us were restless, It was claustrophobic and annoying tripping over things to get to the balcony. Can't imagine adding food for 4 people to the mix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!