$$$ Saving Tips $$$

*MickeyTink*

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any tips on ways I can save my money for a Disney Cruise? I have a large crayon piggy pank that I am putting change into, but how much should I put into it each week? I get about $10 a week, I'm a teenager so that's my allowance. I think if I can save at least $500 dollars my mom might consider going on a cruise in July 2003 so if anyone can help me save money and stuff and help me figure out a budget it would be appreciated!!!! Thanx

Have you thought of offering services to your neighbor's or at your church?
You could offer babysitting, raking leaves, washing cars, house keeping. I would gladly help if one of my teen neighbors came and offered me a service. That shows you are a responsible person. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Donna

Hey thanks for the ideas, and if you haven't been on the Wonder or Disney Cruise yet, don't worry it's absolutely AWESOME! I went on the Wonder in July 2001 for a 4 day cruise and I want to go back, but on the MAgic this time!!!:p ;)

One tip I use for collection change: Never pay for anything with change. Always use bills. Then, at the end of each day, dump your change into the bank. For example, if you buy something that costs $2.50, pay for it with bills, you'll get 2 quarters back. If later in the day you buy something else, for say, $1.40, don't fish the quarters out of your pocket, pay with bills again and you'll get another 60 cents in change. It's surprising how fast this can add up.

And yes, as Stayhomemom suggested, offer your services for anything and everything. I used to babysit, rake leaves, clean out gutters, shovel snow, cut lawns, anything that anyone would pay me for. Going to your neighbors is a good idea, too. I would gladly pay a neighborhood kid to do some work for me, usually for stuff I would do myself and wouldn't look to hire anyone to do. But, if you came to my door saying, "Would you like to hire me to shovel your walks?" I'd be happy to pay you to do so.

Also, see if you can make a deal with your Mom. Say, if you can save X number of dollars by a certain date, then you can book the cruise. That way, you'll have a schedule and can figure out how much to budget per week/month. Also, if you meet the amount, she'll see that you're serious about saving money and helping to pay for the cruise.

Thanks, I did put my money in this large piggy bank like i said before and I cant see the money and it's hard to open so i'm hoping i wont be as tempted to spend it. My grandpa will be giving me Christmas money so I am planing on buying my two best friends Christmas gifts and saving the rest. I only plan to spend about $50 dollars for both of them combined and he usually gives me about $150 to $175 for Christmas so I figure that will be a big plus. I am hoping I can save this money and reach a goal of at least $500 so I can help out with my cost of the cruise! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and sorry I rambled on, once I get started I can't stop, lol!;) But don't forget I'm still open to new suggestions!!! Thanks!!!!

Do you have some outgrown toys or clothing that you could sell on ebay or have a 'yard sale'? Do you often go out to the movies or rent videos with your parents footing the bill? If so, ask if they'd be willing to put the same amount of money they would have spent on a night out into your DCL fund if you agree to stay home and just play board games, etc.
:D

Hey wovenwonder that was a good idea about asking her if she would put that same amount that we would spend say on McDonalds or something towards the cruise fund. Thanks.

Another idea for you *MickeyTink* ~
On your gift wish list for BD's, Christmas, etc. you could request Disney Dollars. My g/children have collected quite a bit that way
and plan to use on cruise. ;)

I would suggest opening a bank account just for this money. This would help in several ways.

1. You won't be as tempted to spend it because it won't be in the house.

2. You will get interest - not a lot - but every $1-$2 helps.

Instead of spending $ on Christmas gifts how about asking your friends if it would be OK to make them something? It will be special because it came from your heart. You could make beaded friendship bracelets for an example. If you explain why your are saving your $ I am sure they would understand. Offering babysitting services is an excellant idea especially at this time of year. Parents need alone time to go shopping or Holiday functions. Make up a flier with your skills any type certification, like Red Cross, and rates and pass them out to neighbors that you know. Ask your parents to let their friends know you are available also.

Good luck. You sound like a very responsible teen.:)

Mickeytink,
$25 for a teen present does seem kind of high but I am not sure if they would look too highly on a friendship braclet. For my daugher's close friends I have been known to dig out some old photographs of them with their friends and either make a scrapbook or buy one of those friendship frames.

You have gotten some great ideas on saving/making money. I am sure you will do just fine. Your mom should be proud :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter