Scared of Indoor Dining

ReginaMBK

Mouseketeer
Hey all! We just booked a trip for the 1st week in September. Indoor dining is still scary to us (2 adults in our late 20s/early 30s). How much are they packing the table service restaurants? Are there any that seem less crowded right now? Specifically looking for table service in the parks, in the Boardwalk resorts/resort area, MK resort area, and AK resort area.

We were very comfortable. DS can get busy, but even there, the tables at Raglan Road were more like 10' apart, not 6. It was weird removing the mask indoors - totally get where you are coming from.
Thanks for your insight! From what we've seen from some of the different vloggers, we're not even going to attempt DS :scared:

My indoor dining reviews

Best for spacing: The Wave, Sci-fi, Be our guest

Good: Trattoria Al forno, Biergarten, skipper canteen, Sanaa, Garden Grill (plexiglass dividers between booths, but every booth may be filled)

Felt unsafe:. Kona, 50s prime time, San angel inn (didn't eat there but you can see the table spacing in the Mexico pavilion)

Iffy: inside dining too close, but outside dining is possible--rose and crown, spice road table

For the unsafe ones, I think the tables are 6 ft apart, but once people are seated it's more like 3-4 ft back to back.

DH wanted to warn you there may occasionally be people walking around to use bathroom/leave that aren't wearing their mask... either they forgot or didn't care, but you are supposed to wear one whenever you leave the table.

Sci fi seating is excellent, plus the room is huge- ceiling is two stories up. Whispering Canyon Cafe I haven’t read any reviews, but it is part of the lobby so air circulation shouldn’t be an issue.

I am a bit afraid of indoor dining but we felt safe. We did Sci Fi and I was shocked how empty they kept the place. No one was even close. We also did Tony's and while that was closer than sci fi, there was definitely 6' distance. Even the quick service places had tons of space. In Pecos Bill, our room was practically empty at 6:00 pm for dinner. In our experience people were not walking to the restrooms unmasked. I actually got up at Tony's to rush my potty training son to the bathroom and in my haste forgot my mask on the table and I only made it about 3' before a CM reminded me.

My indoor dining reviews

Best for spacing: The Wave, Sci-fi, Be our guest

Good: Trattoria Al forno, Biergarten, skipper canteen, Sanaa, Garden Grill (plexiglass dividers between booths, but every booth may be filled)

Felt unsafe:. Kona, 50s prime time, San angel inn (didn't eat there but you can see the table spacing in the Mexico pavilion)

Iffy: inside dining too close, but outside dining is possible--rose and crown, spice road table

For the unsafe ones, I think the tables are 6 ft apart, but once people are seated it's more like 3-4 ft back to back.

DH wanted to warn you there may occasionally be people walking around to use bathroom/leave that aren't wearing their mask... either they forgot or didn't care, but you are supposed to wear one whenever you leave the table.
I'm glad you mentioned Skipper and Sanaa, those are two we're definitely hoping to do! And yikes about people forgetting to put the mask back on. I'm hoping that's few and far between...

Sci fi seating is excellent, plus the room is huge- ceiling is two stories up. Whispering Canyon Cafe I haven’t read any reviews, but it is part of the lobby so air circulation shouldn’t be an issue.
I've never been to Fort Wilderness. Maybe this will be the trip to check it out!

I am a bit afraid of indoor dining but we felt safe. We did Sci Fi and I was shocked how empty they kept the place. No one was even close. We also did Tony's and while that was closer than sci fi, there was definitely 6' distance. Even the quick service places had tons of space. In Pecos Bill, our room was practically empty at 6:00 pm for dinner. In our experience people were not walking to the restrooms unmasked. I actually got up at Tony's to rush my potty training son to the bathroom and in my haste forgot my mask on the table and I only made it about 3' before a CM reminded me.
I'm glad to hear the CM was so quick to say something! Even though it was an accident. Props to you for taking your little one to WDW right now, I'm stressed as it is just myself and my husband. Hope y'all had a great trip!

I'm glad you mentioned Skipper and Sanaa, those are two we're definitely hoping to do! And yikes about people forgetting to put the mask back on. I'm hoping that's few and far between...
It was only at a couple restaurants, spice road table was the big one--one family with no one wearing them right as they came in and then mom walked out to change the toddler with no mask in sight, no CMs there spoke to the family.

As a warning, you will likely see noses/masks off on some rides. While most people are good about it, there are always some who will take any opportunity to remove it even when they are supposed to wear them, especially when CMs can't do anything about it.

It was only at a couple restaurants, spice road table was the big one--one family with no one wearing them right as they came in and then mom walked out to change the toddler with no mask in sight, no CMs there spoke to the family.

As a warning, you will likely see noses/masks off on some rides. While most people are good about it, there are always some who will take any opportunity to remove it even when they are supposed to wear them, especially when CMs can't do anything about it.
Good to know. We already have a game plan for rides we're willing to skip for that reason (most of the omni-mover rides, boats if we're not the only party in one, FoP, etc). That and just taking it slow and avoiding busier times - such a big change from a normal Disney trip!

Good to know. We already have a game plan for rides we're willing to skip for that reason (most of the omni-mover rides, boats if we're not the only party in one, FoP, etc). That and just taking it slow and avoiding busier times - such a big change from a normal Disney trip!
For the Omni mover rides they are keeping at least 2 empty vehicles between parties, boats have 2 empty rows between parties. FOP was 1-2 empty between parties. Theater attractions have every other row empty and 3-4 empty seats between parties--the seats are marked off where people are not allowed to sit.

We had a great time. Humid days are rough with the masks, but we all survived wearing them. Definitely a more relaxing trip for us.

For the Omni mover rides they are keeping at least 2 empty vehicles between parties, boats have 2 empty rows between parties. FOP was 1-2 empty between parties. Theater attractions have every other row empty and 3-4 empty seats between parties--the seats are marked off where people are not allowed to sit.

We had a great time. Humid days are rough with the masks, but we all survived wearing them. Definitely a more relaxing trip for us.
Thanks so much for the insight!

Here are our experiences:

Best: Spice Road (outside), Sci-fi, Tiffin’s, Nomad’s (outside)

Good: Skipper Canteen, Cali Grill, Wine Bar George, Yak and Yeti

Not recommended: Kona (too many people in a small space), Raglan Road (we had a booth, but there were a lot of people, and when going to the bathroom, we noticed people were not 6 feet apart).

Last edited:
We are three days into the trip and have kind of gotton to the point where we’ve thrown in the towel and are just accepting there is Covid in the air everywhere. Yes all the tables are 6feet apart but that is really not that far—we are for sure all breathing the same droplet filled air. And yes in indoor ride queues there is 95% compliance but that is still 1 in 20 people who are not wearing a mask or wearing it below their nose/chin—and it is not fun being stuck next to that person for ages when they stop to do ride cleaning. We’ve eaten indoors at Cali Grill, Hollywood Brown Derby, 50s Prime Time, Topplino’s, Via Napoli, Le Cellier, Plaza and Jungle Skipper Canteen, and only indoor restaurant where I thought it was safe was Skipper Canteen and that was only because it was so quiet that only a couple of other tables were occupied, so we were extra spread out. If I didn’t have antibodies I would not be eating indoors or riding any rides with indoor queues now.

We are three days into the trip and have kind of gotton to the point where we’ve thrown in the towel and are just accepting there is Covid in the air everywhere. Yes all the tables are 6feet apart but that is really not that far—we are for sure all breathing the same droplet filled air. And yes in indoor ride queues there is 95% compliance but that is still 1 in 20 people who are not wearing a mask or wearing it below their nose/chin—and it is not fun being stuck next to that person for ages when they stop to do ride cleaning. We’ve eaten indoors at Cali Grill, Hollywood Brown Derby, 50s Prime Time, Topplino’s, Via Napoli, Le Cellier, Plaza and Jungle Skipper Canteen, and only indoor restaurant where I thought it was safe was Skipper Canteen and that was only because it was so quiet that only a couple of other tables were occupied, so we were extra spread out. If I didn’t have antibodies I would not be eating indoors or riding any rides with indoor queues now.
That's a lot more bleak of a picture, but appreciate your thoughts for sure. We're going the first week in September and only on weekdays, so we're hoping that with school back in session that will help the crowd levels.

That's a lot more bleak of a picture, but appreciate your thoughts for sure. We're going the first week in September and only on weekdays, so we're hoping that with school back in session that will help the crowd levels.
Probably, I think the silver APs are having a big impact. It is disappointing Since the reports we have followed previously were so positive on compliance. This week is just different

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter