School me on Ragnar

If, and it’s a big if, I can do it, cape cod would work. Pretty sure northwest passage would be a no go. A fall race would work better.

My only input on Ragnar is that my wife is an avid runner, having run 15 marathons now, and running the midwest Ragnar with her workmates last year was the most fun she had running.
She said the real challenge/joy is living in a van with people for 36 hours, not able to sleep or eat a decent meal, and then see if you can go back out running again.
She enjoyed it so much I signed up to do a similar road race in Oregon this summer with her, despite having fully dropped running and committing to powerlifting the past 4 years. I'm super excited to go and try it out, and hope that others do the same.

I just did one of the Ragnar Trail races—Ragnar Alafia outside of Tampa (only about an hour from Disney). It was awesome, and unlike the road race you don’t need a van and instead all camp in a central location. It’s a bit more forgiving on pace, especially if you normally use intervals, and my team had never really run trails before and we did fine. I would highly recommend!

I’ve done three road Ragnars(DC, Cape Cod, and the Keys) and one trail(Richmond). They are by far the most fun I’ve had running. Like you’ve already heard, having a good, drama free group is very helpful. But sometimes you don’t know that until you are out there. So you just have to deal with it sometimes. If you can swing someone who just wanted to come along and drive, that can be very helpful. And one of the biggest things we learned was stop and eat real food. The temptation is to pack a lot of food but you don’t really need it. Stop and eat at least one good meal. It’s a lot of fun but it also takes some planning so let me know if you have any questions.

Also trail Ragnars are pretty fun bc there is no driving.

I’ve done three road Ragnars(DC, Cape Cod, and the Keys) and one trail(Richmond). They are by far the most fun I’ve had running. Like you’ve already heard, having a good, drama free group is very helpful. But sometimes you don’t know that until you are out there. So you just have to deal with it sometimes. If you can swing someone who just wanted to come along and drive, that can be very helpful. And one of the biggest things we learned was stop and eat real food. The temptation is to pack a lot of food but you don’t really need it. Stop and eat at least one good meal. It’s a lot of fun but it also takes some planning so let me know if you have any questions.

Also trail Ragnars are pretty fun bc there is no driving.

Yeah, but there is camping and that's a hard nope.

Following! I want to do a Ragnar soon.

Interested as well. Four more midwesterners to join @ZellyB 's existing six?

EDIT....Just mentioned this to my family and my daughter home for Christmas reminded me that the Midwest Ragnar is the weekend of her Law School Graduation in North Carolina. Sorry

Last edited:
If the Ragnars look appealing, you might also want to look at relay runs put on by other organizations, too. It’s very similar to the Tuna Run 200 I’ve run a couple of times now and had a blast with! I know around the mid-Atlantic region there’s also the Blue Ridge Relay (for all you hill masochists) and similar relays across VA and SC.

Ragnar is the single most fun race I’ve ever done, including several Disney half’s, goofy, and dopey.

I’ve done cape cod 3x and went out and got a Ragnar tattoo after the 3rd one because I knew I loved the experience that much. I second what everyone else said: have good people in your van, and embrace the Ragnar experience-get magnets to tag other vans, and make new friends at every exchange! I didn’t know anyone in my van the first year (met them all through a casual aquaintance) and I had the best time of my life!

I’m running reach the beach in New Hampshire this year, but if anyone needs an extra teammate for cape cod, I could probably be convinced...

Is there anyone making a Disboards Ragnar team for south east for 2019? I would love to do a Ragnar, I'm having a hard time generating a team.

If the Ragnars look appealing, you might also want to look at relay runs put on by other organizations, too. It’s very similar to the Tuna Run 200 I’ve run a couple of times now and had a blast with! I know around the mid-Atlantic region there’s also the Blue Ridge Relay (for all you hill masochists) and similar relays across VA and SC.

Tom's Run Relay (http://tomsrunrelay.org/) over Memorial Day weekend in MD/VA is another (and much cheaper!) option. I've been wanting to assemble a team for this one for years, but something always comes up. Maybe in 2019? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!