School Supply List Fall 2020

Pink Partridge

DIS Veteran
I am thinking back on school supply lists when my children were in elementary school. There was everything from pencils to hand soap to tissues to paper towels to hand sanitizer. And of course, wipes of any kind.

Will teachers still be responsible for providing healthcare basics in pandemic times?

I don't think rallying for soap, hand sanitizer, wipes, or any sanitizing products should be the teacher's responsibility at this point.

Besides, there is a shortage. Even the most eager parents can't find some of these items.

Not to mention masks. Some parents don't even provide there child with a pencil. Can you imagine them sending them in with a mask?

I wonder what will happen come Fall?

I feel sorry for our teachers.

Depending on the state or area you live in determines how much teachers need parents to send in supplies for the classroom. The state I live in provides about $400 each year for “CIS” money aka “classroom instructional supplies” to classroom teachers. Divide that by 30 kids and see how far that goes. The state does not provide tissues, paper towels, soap, or cleaners for individual classrooms. That comes from parent donations.

During the swine flu scare our school provided bottles of water (fountains were closed off), put hand sanitizer dispensers on the walls (and kept them filled) and provided each teacher with a huge pump bottle of germ-x and Clorox wipes. Teachers themselves or their department budgets didn’t pay for it.

This year, flu season hit pretty hard (or maybe it was COVID) and teachers were told if they wanted wipes and sanitizer to let office know and a designated person would go and purchase BUT it would be taken out of each teacher’s department budget. So if, say, all 6 math teachers wanted sanitizer and wipes, that was coming out of the math budget.

I fully expect being told no sharing of supplies BUT make sure each kid doesn’t go without (so supply) and that we have to wipe down stuff after each class (but get your own stuff).

Our schools just ended and we will find out in. 2-3 weeks if school is being delayed to start later in August rather than within the first two weeks. I agree there is only so much speculating that can go on, I just hope leaders will make wise choices, that are not just based on the budget. There are a lot of creative things that can happen, I just hope they don’t go with status quo.

We typically start submitting our supply requests for next year now. With one month of school left, and no information about what is happening in September- I am not even thinking about what to order in terms of supplies. I usually buy things kids share like colored pencils and rulers- will kids need to supply their own next year? Will I need to plan for online learning, or order hand sanitizer and wipes? I’m waiting until I know more.

We have been out for a week and speculation about next year is in overdrive.
Our district wrapped up too.

Colleges are already announcing their plans to not go back after Thanksgiving.

Our local school districts need to start getting a plan, especially since they are already hurting financially. It's going to cost a lot to supply these classrooms with what they neee to stop any spread of Covid-19.

Teachers should know what they are up against.

School starts in August.

I hope they figure it out sooner rather than later. We all need to know so we can shuffle schedules and adapt to this.

As for school supplies lists: our school system usually has the basic list on each schools website. Then when they just start or open house ,especially higher grades, the individual teachers will add.

I know we are all anxious, but I am sure school systems are trying to figure out what the plan will be.

The district I work for provides cleaning and hygiene supplies--lysol wipes, lysol spray, tissues, hand sanitizer--only one refillable dispenser per room, and it's mounted on the wall so we all bring in our own smaller, portable hand sanitizers because kids are gross! :)

The district that my kids attend asks for those items to be sent in every year though.

That’s great that your district provides that. Our PtO has to budget for paper towel and toilet paper for the shared bathrooms in the hallway. That’s not provided by the state or the district. :(

Depending on the state or area you live in determines how much teachers need parents to send in supplies for the classroom. The state I live in provides about $400 each year for “CIS” money aka “classroom instructional supplies” to classroom teachers. Divide that by 30 kids and see how far that goes. The state does not provide tissues, paper towels, soap, or cleaners for individual classrooms. That comes from parent donations.

We always get $275 to spend on classroom supplies and it was supposed to go up this year. I will be VERY surprised if we get anything this year. We always get hand sanitizer for classroom use, soap, tissues, and Lysol wipes from parent donations. We do have paper towels In our classrooms and hand sanitizer in a few places around the school. Soap is provided in the bathrooms. Our student bathrooms went to hand dryers a few years back to save money on paper towels. I have never liked hand dryers but with what folks are saying about some of the salons not using hair dryers anymore, I wonder if there is reason that those don’t need to be used right now.

Ooops! I should have thought of you before I asked this question. I will erase the thread and ask it again when your kids are done school.

Just meant let’s not get worried about that just yet. Take a breath with the year just ending/ended.
No need to get all excited and rude. We’re all in this together

They cracked the door and all the kids are piling up on each other. So if there aren’t any outbreaks in the next month schools may as well just open as usual.

I’m a science teacher and even thought we’re not done yet, I’m already thinking about next year. A couple different scenarios have already been floated. One of the things I’d like to do is send home a bag of supplies for physics demos and labs to be done at home. My expectation is a hybrid or on again-off again with regards to distance learning.

I’m a science teacher and even thought we’re not done yet, I’m already thinking about next year. A couple different scenarios have already been floated. One of the things I’d like to do is send home a bag of supplies for physics demos and labs to be done at home. My expectation is a hybrid or on again-off again with regards to distance learning.
I've suspected that my kids' district will be planning for distance learning and it was just confirmed, the teachers are being asked to revise all their lessons so that they can be presented remotely through Google classroom. The official reason is that it will allow the district to be more flexible during the school year and not to have to make up snow days, but unofficially we all know that it is because of Covid, because they are expecting schools to close in the fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!