Sci fi dine in and ABC Commissary closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifidiner

DIS Veteran
I read an article on Orlando weekly about D23 predictions, in a section discussing the GMR closing it mentioned Sci fi & ABG closing. I assume to provide more space for a Mickey Mouse ride replacement for the GMR. Has anyone else heard this? I can't believe they would close such a popular restaurant.

agreed - I don't see them closingplaces to eat - they need all they can get - refurb? potentially. RE-Themed - ABC Commissary might be - Sci Fi is pretty popular

It would be sad if they closed the Sci-fi Dine In and I agree that it wouldn't make sense. They can redo or bulldoze the ABC Commissary though but there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do so.

If anything needs to close...it's Hollywood and vine and primetime...

But they won't..it's going to be really hard to eat At the park when the Star Wars fans show up...they actually should have 2 additional sit downs and a at least an extra large quickserve ready to be built...

...but they won't...cause it's just too logical.

Last edited:
- Great Movie Ride building is already huge! Honestly I don't know how they have enough varied Mickey to fill it now.
- If you google earth it they are not the same building, but they are right next to each other.
- SciFi is one of Disney's most popular restaurants and maybe their best themed, to me last to go. I'd be shocked.
- Agree with others, the park has minimal dining, especially indoor QS as it is, makes no sense to eliminate ABC.
- That walkway will be too important to crowd movement with SW, why would it be an empty alley?
- If you look a current construction photos, it appears they are actually building out something at Writer's Stop and the space next to it, with possibly a walled in patio buffered with planters. They may be adding some type of small eatery there, only reason I see for walled patio ... also connected to SciFi area. See below -

From Blog Mickey (he has lots of great aerial photos)

MuppetCourtyard-air-06232017-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wow - we love the Sci Fi - such a different experience - I can't imagine that they would close it. It is always booked.

Indeed...sci fi isn't a problem. Booked solid.

The ones that don't get enough traffic are Hollywood and vine and brown derby...and brown derby is the single best restaurant in a park.

...did like tiffins though...I have to say...

the only reason to eliminate abc is because it's quite honestly awful...as is most about all quickserve at mgm.

I was happy when pizza planet left our lives

Um, Pizza Planet is back just changed the name to protect the guilty.

I give ABC credit they do seem to keep changing their menu, possibly trying.

Last edited:
Um, Pizza Planet is back just changed the name to protect the guilty.

I give ABC credit the do seem to keep changing their menu, possibly trying.

In my mind...it's gone. I wouldn't eat pizza in Disney world under any circumstances anyway...except via Napoli a couple of times and the flatbread at contempo cafe...quite tasty

In my mind...it's gone. I wouldn't eat pizza in Disney world under any circumstances anyway...except via Napoli a couple of times and the flatbread at contempo cafe...quite tasty

I don't understand why Disney can't fix their pizza. So frustrating. PP so bad, I had hopes the Rat would make better. He didn't but we love the tacky disco dance room. I have enjoyed the flatbreads at CG. Bigger and more sophisticated than Tony's but Tony's cost more. :confused3

I am REALLY curious about the Writer's Stop space and area next to it, the patio they are building.

The ones that don't get enough traffic are Hollywood and vine and brown derby...and brown derby is the single best restaurant in a park.

Oh, MP could offer HBD some competition. I'm actually shocked that MP and HBD aren't more crowded. People on these boards love 50s though, I don't get it.

Oh, MP could offer HBD some competition. I'm actually shocked that MP and HBD aren't more crowded. People on these boards love 50s though, I don't get it.

MP?

Prime time is not only "meh"...but tired. Needs something different.

And is sadly reflective of the generally awful American palette that has sadly stripped anything interesting out of the restaurants and allowed the dining plan to linger on...

I don't understand why Disney can't fix their pizza. So frustrating. PP so bad, I had hopes the Rat would make better. He didn't but we love the tacky disco dance room. I have enjoyed the flatbreads at CG. Bigger and more sophisticated than Tony's but Tony's cost more. :confused3

I am REALLY curious about the Writer's Stop space and area next to it, the patio they are building.

You, me, and everyone else that wouldn't touch papa johns if we were starving...

It's like they make it intentionally bad.

The $4 frozen pizza from grocery stores (don't knock it...guilty pleasure) is often 5x better than the awful pizza and the other awful cheap quality kid's meals.

You, me, and everyone else that wouldn't touch papa johns if we were starving...

It's like they make it intentionally bad.

The $4 frozen pizza from grocery stores (don't knock it...guilty pleasure) is often 5x better than the awful pizza and the other awful cheap quality kid's meals.

Ah, a cardboard pizza guy. Don't touch the stuff. I think it's recycled stuff.

MP?

Prime time is not only "meh"...but tired. Needs something different.

And is sadly reflective of the generally awful American palette that has sadly stripped anything interesting out of the restaurants and allowed the dining plan to linger on...

Monsieur Paul. In terms of food they are both really solid in park experiences. I prefer Spice Road Table en toto as my favorite park restaurant, but I love al fresco dining and their quiet by the lake vibe does it for me.

American palettes are an issue - basically, it means we can't have nice things. Dating only highlights this in the worst possible way and also makes it clear who I'm not going to want to go out with again really fast! Dining plan...please, don't.

ETA: I haven't been in 50s since I was in high school on a band trip because I hate antics, unironic kitsch, noise, and chaos when I'm just trying to eat a meal, and I remember distinctly thinking "this corn is canned." I was grossed out then. I see the pictures and I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts