SciFi dine in????

So this isn't anything new? This is the first trip in forever where there will only be 2 of us. Usually at least 3 so this is something we haven't run into before.

So this isn't anything new? This is the first trip in forever where there will only be 2 of us. Usually at least 3 so this is something we haven't run into before.
It's worse at SciFi than it used to be, because they used to be able to put parties of 1 or 2 in one part of a car, and a separate party of 1 or 2 in another part of the car. Essentially, a single car was two tables for two, that could either seat one group of 3 or 4, or two separate parties of 1 or 2.

Due to social distancing, Disney can't combine separate parties in one car right now. So instead of accepting that not every single car is going to be filled to the brim with guests, they are using the scheduling software to try to exclude parties of 1 or 2 from the restaurant.

That exact issue at Sci Fi is new, but Disney otherwise inconveniencing singles & parties of 2 to avoid seating them at 4-tops is not at all new for Disney, particularly at their most popular restaurants. I've never had a restaurant at home (or during non-Disney travel) treat us like that. Disney gets away with it because they can, because it's a unique product that customers can't get anywhere else.

Last edited:
We had a reservation for 6 for just two of us today. This morning there was still two lunch reservations for parties of 6, but not parties of 1-5. When we checked in and told the cm we were only 2 and admitted there were no missing people, the cm said good for us, that he secretly recommends smaller parties book for a larger number since there are very few reservations for smaller parties and current protocols means it makes no difference whether you are 1 or 6 or inbetween.

We were seated in a back car for four as it turns out. Every other row is unused and in the rows in use, every other car. It was very quiet, which was fine with me. The vegan oreo milkshake is amazing btw.

We had a reservation for 6 for just two of us today. This morning there was still two lunch reservations for parties of 6, but not parties of 1-5. When we checked in and told the cm we were only 2 and admitted there were no missing people, the cm said good for us, that he secretly recommends smaller parties book for a larger number since there are very few reservations for smaller parties and current protocols means it makes no difference whether you are 1 or 6 or inbetween.

We were seated in a back car for four as it turns out. Every other row is unused and in the rows in use, every other car. It was very quiet, which was fine with me. The vegan oreo milkshake is amazing btw.

so they ARE seating separate parties of 2 in the same car??? Scratch that one off the list!

Touring plans just sent me a notification of a reservation for 2 on my date. I managed to snag a rare 2 person one and released my 4 person reservation. I’m shocked as I honestly didn’t even think that a reservation for 2 was a thing There anymore! This is the longest it has taken for it to find us a reservation - 34 days. Usually it is a matter of hours - a couple days at most.

so they ARE seating separate parties of 2 in the same car??? Scratch that one off the list!

I am pretty sure that is not what they meant. I took it as they are not even putting people in cars next to each other (side by side cars) I might have misinterpreted it though

No. One party per car. Standing at the back looking towards the screen, every other row left to right is not being used. Front to back, every other car is in use. There’s a car at the back right corner that has two rows as opposed to the usual three and that is where we were seated, so they clearly adjust seating on the fly as our reservation was for six.

No. One party per car. Standing at the back looking towards the screen, every other row left to right is not being used. Front to back, every other car is in use. There’s a car at the back right corner that has two rows as opposed to the usual three and that is where we were seated, so they clearly adjust seating on the fly as our reservation was for six.

oh, ok. Thanks!

I have a reservation for two and want to add my mother on and it won’t let me. If they are seating one party per car shouldn’t she be able to get on the reservation? Would I have better luck calling or showing up and hoping they let her in?

I have a reservation for two and want to add my mother on and it won’t let me. If they are seating one party per car shouldn’t she be able to get on the reservation? Would I have better luck calling or showing up and hoping they let her in?

Have you tried changing the ADR to 4 or 6? You might find something - and you won’t be charged for the “ghost”. Solos have been doing this (well, usually just 2 but still) as a work-around for years.

I did. There is nothing available. So frustrating. I guess I could give Disney a call.

The reservation system is not advanced enough to recognize the new seating configuration. She should be able to join you under the current setup but there’s no way to confirm this. I wouldn’t trust what a phone cm says- it’s the cm’s working that day at Sci Fi that will make the decision. In the meantime, you can set up touringplans reservation finders- can have two searches so I’d do one for six and one for four.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter