• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sea world in a day

dreaming

Mouseketeer
we are going to disney at christmas and want to spend a day at sea world. my dd -6 is a real animal lover, especially dolphins. the thrill rides aren't important to us at all. we will probably go the day after christmas. will we be able to see all the park in one day and have a good bit of animal interaction?

While it's possible to cover most of SW in a day, it's usually better to make use of the 2nd day free they offer and take a more leisurely pace. You'll find that if your daughter is really keen on animals she is likely to want longer than a cursory glance at the ones she likes. I'll bet you spend at least 45 minutes at each of the Stingray,Dolphin and Sealion feeding/petting centres. I'd advise setting a limit on the number of dishes of fish she's allowed because otherwise it could end up an expensive day :o .

Yes, it's possible to get through Sea World Orlando in a day...My family and I are real animal lovers and we go every year (except a couple). We always made it through all the attractions and shows (ones we wanted to see anyway), even get a ride in on Journey to Atlantis, in time for the evening Shamu show and fireworks.

IOAfan

Bring lots of money.

All of the animal interaction comes from feeding the animals. There are 3 places to do this.
Sea Lions. Behind the Clyde and Seamore show.
They're so funny. They bark like dogs trying to get you to throw the fish to them. You can't touch them, but you're so close. There's one spot where I actually touched a Sea Lion, but a trainer came up and said not to do that.

Stingrays and Dolphins in the Key West area.
Get here early to feed the Stingrays because the fill up and don't eat in the afternoon. You make a fist and put the fish between your index finger and the middle finger. Put your hand on the bottom and a stingray will come over and suck the fish out like a vacuum. Scary at first, but once you do it, it's easy. They don't bite.

Dolphins. Good to feed them in the afternoon. Long line forms for the food, get in line and get 3 or 4 cups ($4 each). Food goes fast, that's why you need money. Kid will have a blast. You'll spend 3 hours here. In between feedings, go underground and view the dolphins behind a glass wall. Jimmy Buffet music plays, there is a beer stand with snacks, you'll love it.

Do the sea lions at Pacific Point Preserve ever have full stomachs? I've seen them bark and bark constantly even after eating every fish possible! :)

LOL. Sometimes you'll see a few on the middle rocks resting.
But most of the time they pose, smile at you, and beg for the fish.

The stingrays do get full, I read that in an article, so feeding them in the afternoon is not recommended. You can, but you'll end up waiting a while for one to come over. In the morning they'll swarm to you.

The dolphins always come to people with the fish. They love the attention.

can you pet the dolphins when you feed them? thanks...amy

Yes, you can pet the dolphins under their nostrum (lower mouth).
Feels like rubber, very smooth.
They can see who has a fish and who doesn't. They come up to the people with the fish, rise up out of the water, you pet them, and toss the fish in. If you don't toss the fish in, they'll splash.
Sometimes you'll get a couple dolphins coming up to you at the same times. That's why you need so much money. The fish food goes fast.

This past SWO visit, I was feeding the dolphins and this same dolphin kept coming up to me wanting fish, so I gave it all ten of my fish...:( I wanted variety...Oh well...

IOAfan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter