Security Bag Check?

My family always looks at me strange when I pack. I have a list. It details what goes in which numbered ziploc and where that is ultimately packed. Then I bring the remaining ziplocs as extras and backups. It may look strange and take a little more time to prepare, but I know where everything is when I need it and nothing gets left behind. I'm glad I'm not the only one who ziplocs their luggage!

I should have added to my post that it was at AK today that there were no plastic bags. The plastic bag situation was yesterday at MK. So like everything else about Disney, different procedures at different places.

Bag Check Update from today. You did not have to put anything in a plastic bag. You kept everything with you through the scanner. They said that if you had an umbrella, hold it out in front of you. My daughter held her insulated mug in her hand, so I don't know if it would have set it off if it was in a bag. But, it was very easy and fast.
Which park? edit: just saw your update!

I should have added to my post that it was at AK today that there were no plastic bags. The plastic bag situation was yesterday at MK. So like everything else about Disney, different procedures at different places.
Lord, just when i thought they had made a good decision.
Was it just normal bag check then?
Didn't car keys? Phones? Set off the metal detector?

Seems like they are testing different ways to use the new scanners and decide what level of risk there is if they don't use the plastic bags.

I used to pack my suitcase with ziplock bags for years and switched to packing cubes last year due to the plastic waste I had created even if I reused and recycled the bags. This pandemic has created so much waste. I will bring a big ziplock bag for the new security procedure if WDW still needs us to place items in a plastic bag to reduce waste. Hopefully it’s strong enough to stand 8 days of park visits.

Great Adventure had a similar type machine last week. They just had you walk through. No plastic bags.

Is there a no bag line any more, or is everyone funneled through the same lane? At the end there (before covid took everyone's fun away), if you didn't have a bag, you just walked through the metal detector phone and all.

Great Adventure had a similar type machine last week. They just had you walk through. No plastic bags.

How was Great Adventure? I'm thinking about going in the near future as a theme park test run.

(Sorry for going off topic)

Was at AK today, loved their bag check

as a previous poster said, all we had to do was take out our umbrella if we had one and hold it out. Everything else we kept in pocket/bag. Just walked through. Wish it was like this everywhere.

Lots of sanitizer and low capacity, but lots and lots of masks down, noses showing, and no one following distancing in lines.

Bummer - I think I'm going to put that plan on hold. I hope Six Flags nationally and Great Adventure local management get more invested in enforcing the guidelines. Thanks for the info!

If you have a metal eyeglass case, pull it out. I got reprimanded at both MK and AK, even though both places kept telling me to not take anything but an umbrella out:sad2:

Is there a no bag line any more, or is everyone funneled through the same lane? At the end there (before covid took everyone's fun away), if you didn't have a bag, you just walked through the metal detector phone and all.
Everyone walks through the same line.

Last edited:
I agree that it sounds like they're testing different ways to handle the security procedures. I can't see the plastic bag method being long-lasting. Not only is it incredibly wasteful, but there's the added cost of all the bags and even the cost of CM time spent emptying garbage around the security area because I'm sure people put them right in the trash can. People will also move through the line faster making for less congregation in the area.

Besides umbrella and metal sunglasses case, what else needs to be out? What about stainless steel water bottles, power banks and Nintendo Switch? If my hands can’t hold all the stuff that needs to be out, should I prepare a plastic bag myself to put everything in? TIA!

Besides umbrella and metal sunglasses case, what else needs to be out? What about stainless steel water bottles, power banks and Nintendo Switch? If my hands can’t hold all the stuff that needs to be out, should I prepare a plastic bag myself to put everything in? TIA!

We had to take stainless steel water bottles out for the Resort Monorail/MK security at Poly. We didn’t have to take them out at the new style scanners they are now using at the new DAK entrance. FWIW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter