Security Bag Check?

Besides umbrella and metal sunglasses case, what else needs to be out? What about stainless steel water bottles, power banks and Nintendo Switch? If my hands can’t hold all the stuff that needs to be out, should I prepare a plastic bag myself to put everything in? TIA!
Electronics seem to be ok
I went through with my stabilizer and i was fine

A couple of questions for those that have been - what about scooters? My mother uses one, it has been a God-send after 2 knee replacements, will she need to get off the scooter and walk through? We hitch the backpack to the back of the scooter - will it have to go through with one of us or can it stay on the scooter. I think the scanners will help cut down the wait time at the bag check area. We have also used zip-loc bags for years, but mainly so all our stuff doesn't get lost in the bottom of the backpack by floating around all willy-nilly!

Just wondering if anyone noticed in the last week?

I notice that the "Security Screening" section on the experience updates part of the website says that they "recommend using clear bags when possible." Are there any such bags in a reasonable size with theming on them? I like my Spongebob zippered carrying bag, wonder if there's anything roughly comparable that's clear.

A couple of questions for those that have been - what about scooters? My mother uses one, it has been a God-send after 2 knee replacements, will she need to get off the scooter and walk through? We hitch the backpack to the back of the scooter - will it have to go through with one of us or can it stay on the scooter. I think the scanners will help cut down the wait time at the bag check area. We have also used zip-loc bags for years, but mainly so all our stuff doesn't get lost in the bottom of the backpack by floating around all willy-nilly!

Just wondering if anyone noticed in the last week?
I have not noticed scooters but the strollers are still just put to the side not through the metal detectors. You only have to take out any metal objects, like umbrellas or metal water bottles. Phones, small electronics, external batteries, all that can stay in the bag and go through no problem

I have not noticed scooters but the strollers are still just put to the side not through the metal detectors. You only have to take out any metal objects, like umbrellas or metal water bottles. Phones, small electronics, external batteries, all that can stay in the bag and go through no problem

I tried to go through with an external battery in my backpack and did get pulled aside and the security said that it should have come out.

I tried to go through with an external battery in my backpack and did get pulled aside and the security said that it should have come out.
So strange, i have 2 fuelrods and have been to the parks about 10 times now and never got flagged

So strange, i have 2 fuelrods and have been to the parks about 10 times now and never got flagged

It wasn't a fuel rod, but a larger battery pack. (Maybe that is why it kept setting it off) DH was taking it with him and set it off at every park. DHS was the one I went through.

So the "new" procedure is to just keep everything in your bag and walk through a detector? Strollers go to the side as always....what if we have a soft-sided cooler in the basket? Trying to figure out what all i need to pack for our upcoming trip and how to most efficiently get through bag-check.

Basically umbrella's and battery packs will trigger the metal detector, keep those in your hand, the rest can stay inside backpacks

I'm really wondering how they are going to be checking bags at security? In the past they would put their hands into your bag, check it and then move on to the next person. Do you think they will be wearing gloves and change between guests?

Hoping someone can report on the 9th or 10th.

Thanks,

They have touchless scanners at MK and HS at least. They only look at your bag if something triggers it (for us it was constantly baby supplies), and then they have you open it and pull stuff out, not them. Regardless, they are wearing gloves as well.

Ugh, I have a feeling I might continually set them off....I have a PacSafe backpack that I use when traveling. It’s got a 360 eXomesh® locking system which is a lightweight stainless steel cage which helps protect against pickpockets & gear thieves. I bought it for my first European vacation and completely fell in love with it. I use it for every vacation now. I guess I’ll soon find out if it becomes a no go at the parks. That would be a huge bummer

We have left everything in our bags but our umbrella. No issues. My husband is diabetic and wears some external devices and it’s been fine and so quick! I also have taken in a battery pack for our phones with no issue.

Ugh, I have a feeling I might continually set them off....I have a PacSafe backpack that I use when traveling. It’s got a 360 eXomesh® locking system which is a lightweight stainless steel cage which helps protect against pickpockets & gear thieves. I bought it for my first European vacation and completely fell in love with it. I use it for every vacation now. I guess I’ll soon find out if it becomes a no go at the parks. That would be a huge bummer
Please do report back about your Pacsafe. I also have a Pacsafe bag that I like a lot of the attributes for travel so I am curious how they are handled in park.

FWIW many metal detectors can be set at different reading levels.
so people saying that this battery or that case set it off while others it didn’t is most likely one of two things...
the detector is set at different reading levels (even ever so slightly)
the item is made slightly different (usually in size or density) than the other.

in any case, the whole thing (as 95% of security) is for show. The perfect example is strollers not being screened.
it doesn’t take a genius to figure the rest out.

stay safe, have fun but be prepared to have the same item trip a metal detector one time and not another.

FWIW many metal detectors can be set at different reading levels.
so people saying that this battery or that case set it off while others it didn’t is most likely one of two things...
the detector is set at different reading levels (even ever so slightly)
the item is made slightly different (usually in size or density) than the other.

in any case, the whole thing (as 95% of security) is for show. The perfect example is strollers not being screened.
it doesn’t take a genius to figure the rest out.

stay safe, have fun but be prepared to have the same item trip a metal detector one time and not another.
agree with this
I have walked through with everything in my bag and nothing has set it off, then I have walked through, same items in bag and it sets it off.

Besides umbrella and metal sunglasses case, what else needs to be out? What about stainless steel water bottles, power banks and Nintendo Switch? If my hands can’t hold all the stuff that needs to be out, should I prepare a plastic bag myself to put everything in? TIA!
Yes, my stainless bottle has to be out, my breath mint tin as well as my portable chargers. You can drop your electronics in a bin if you can't hold everything.

Please do report back about your Pacsafe. I also have a Pacsafe bag that I like a lot of the attributes for travel so I am curious how they are handled in park.
I definitely wil! Aug 30 is my first park day.....it’s AK...HS will be that Monday

Ugh, I have a feeling I might continually set them off....I have a PacSafe backpack that I use when traveling. ....I guess I’ll soon find out if it becomes a no go at the parks. That would be a huge bummer

Backpacks are not banned from the parks. Just plan on the security person needing to look through the bag if it sets off the scanner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!