September 2020 Trip Reports

Today, is day 4 at the Fort with reservations at AK. We have never particularily cared for AK until they added Pandora, and especially "Flight of Passage". I think FOP is the best ride Disney has ever had :D So, off to AK we go, arrive about 10am, 40 minute wait for FOP, but well worth it. After that, a little shopping (in the few shops that are open), then to the Rain Forest Cafe for lunch. Back to the Outpost to grab a golf cart and do some loop hopping but the weather is hindering our travels. Hopefully it will clear up later in the afternoon.

Ok, today ... Day 4 part 2. We have never rented/had a golf cart for the infamous loop hopping. So, we rented one and after the afternoon showers, got to do so. 1600 - 1900 are empty, most of the other loops are about 75% capacity. We have always stayed in a FHU site ... they are cheaper ... We didn't really see the "draw" of the Premium/Preferred sites other than, they are typically longer, wider, and closer to the Medows/Settlement areas. Actually, the FHU sites are a little farther spaced apart and somewhat more private.

BTW, regardless of the mask requirement, the Davy Lemonade is still a must from Crocketts Tavern :rolleyes1

I like the Full sites too. We flew down last year and stayed with friends in their MH in 2100 loop. It was really nice. They seemed to have a little more space between sites and felt more open than the Premium or Preferred sites I have been on. Unfortunately, there aren't that many Full sites that will accommodate a 42 ft trailer and 23 ft long truck.

The last hoorah arrives today, our 5th park day. HS was cast for our last park reservations. Y'all already know that HS is probably the busiest park among the 4. The Star wars stuff along with the Toy Story stuff is the attraction for this park. So, we get there about 10am and it's crowded and hot. There is more shopping avaiable here ... and the bride dives right in :rolleyes: The wait times for the popular stuff are quite long ... in most cases, over an hour. We looked at that, got turned around, and headed to the Skyliner for our first ride. I gotta say, the Skyliner is quite nice as far as transportation goes. We ended up at Epcot, then walked to the Yatch Club where we grabbed a bus to MK ... hopped on a boat back to the Fort.

We will leave tomorrow for home. In summary, if you're going to visit WDW during this Rona/mask stuff, come with an open mind. We are WDW folks back to 1974 and we were extremely disappointed. The magic just wasn't there for our visit. The Fort is still one of our favorite Glamp-grounds and I am sure we will return.

Ok, today ... Day 4 part 2. We have never rented/had a golf cart for the infamous loop hopping. So, we rented one and after the afternoon showers, got to do so. 1600 - 1900 are empty, most of the other loops are about 75% capacity. We have always stayed in a FHU site ... they are cheaper ... We didn't really see the "draw" of the Premium/Preferred sites other than, they are typically longer, wider, and closer to the Medows/Settlement areas. Actually, the FHU sites are a little farther spaced apart and somewhat more private.

BTW, regardless of the mask requirement, the Davy Lemonade is still a must from Crocketts Tavern :rolleyes1

I'll offer my opinion for favoring the Preferred loops 100/200 over the Full loops.

First I have a small rig and can fit anywhere in the Fort in any site. I've stayed in the Premiums too (now Premium Meadow) loops as well (900 was my favorite of those).

I like Preferred because of their location in the Fort. I've not had any concerns/cares about lack of privacy the many times I've been there. I go to the pool once/twice a stay. Same for the Meadow TP. Singalong once. Some of these are combined trips. More often I am headed to MK via the boat (drive to the other parks) and it takes less than 2 minutes. Or to the Exercise Trail to walk down to WL. Or to the small boat for the Contemp. Or Trails End porch for a rocker. Or the Fort dock for the fireworks/music. Or the dock for the Electric Water Parade.

But I like the sounds of the Preferred sites (does that seem crazy?). I hear the bus brakes at the 3-way stop of FW Trail and Big Pine Rd. I hear the blasts of the boat horns as the approach and as they depart (the pre-recorded voice messages that play for passengers can also be heard in loop 100). I can hear the porch music from TE. I walk/bike to the center destinations noted above so I rarely use the internal bus system. The TCD is nearby for a meandering visit anytime. When the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can hear the MK steam train whistle as it approaches Main Street Station. The horse drawn Wagon Ride clip clops through and we wave at the onboard guests.

I guess it's the convenience the location offers is why I like it. I still feel like I have my privacy. I don't necessarily want peace and quiet all the time while I'm there. The Preferred are quiet in the mornings and afternoons and tend to pick up in the evenings (the rumble of the crowds that show up 3 times a night for HDDR and let out helps) and creates a feeling of night life excitement if you want to tap into that). Or not.

I have a very nice Corps of Engineer campground close to home that's in the middle of nowhere and I can camp there for $26 a night when I want peace and quiet. The cost difference to me for a Fort Preferred versus a Full is worth it IMO.

But that's just me - different strokes for different folks. :wave2:

Bama Ed

PS - thanks for the updates and have a safe trip home, tripleb.

Last edited:
Our annual family Fort trip is at the beginning of November. Question regarding masks on the loops, especially for those who have travelled recently with kids... are they policing mask wearing on the campsites/loops? Our kids spend the majority of the time riding their bikes around the loop and running around the field between campsites going on their own adventures. I understand the masks for riding busses, going inside the restaurants and stores, etc. but being outside near our campsite would seem crazy if we had to keep masks on at all times.

Crossing my fingers that it's a little better come November!

Our annual family Fort trip is at the beginning of November. Question regarding masks on the loops, especially for those who have travelled recently with kids... are they policing mask wearing on the campsites/loops? Our kids spend the majority of the time riding their bikes around the loop and running around the field between campsites going on their own adventures. I understand the masks for riding busses, going inside the restaurants and stores, etc. but being outside near our campsite would seem crazy if we had to keep masks on at all times.

I believe the sites are considered your "room". You do not have to wear your masks while on your site. Within the loop? Depends on if there is a CM there. I think the expectation is if you leave your "space"/site, you wear the mask. Biking, walking, golf cart-looping, comfort-stationing, etc... If you are driving your car, obviously not required.
(I, too, have fingers crossed for better days at Disney!)

We just got back from there yesterday. Let me preface that we don't have any kids. However, masks are required EVERYWHERE you go with the exception of being in your own campsite ... period! Now, did the CM's enforce the mask "rule" within the loops ... I can say that I did not see any CM's enforcing the rule while folks were walking/biking/playing around in our loop 1200. However, you MUST wear a mask while in your vehicle when checking in, also if you have a golf cart, you MUST wear a mask while loop hopping or driving the golf cart to and from wherever.

Last edited:
Hello all, Inquiring about movies under the stars. We stayed at the Boardwalk a couple weeks ago and they had movies playing there. I understand the chip & dale sing along experience will be closed but are they showing outdoor movies at Ft. Wilderness?

Hello all, Inquiring about movies under the stars. We stayed at the Boardwalk a couple weeks ago and they had movies playing there. I understand the chip & dale sing along experience will be closed but are they showing outdoor movies at Ft. Wilderness?
Yes, 4 nights a week.

are they policing mask wearing on the campsites/loops?
They are definitely policing at the major intersections of the Fort and I will say I saw security driving around the loops more than I previously remember but I saw many people walking around loops without masks (however we wear ours as soon as we left our site. Wasn't that bad honestly but again, no kids here either.)

Just got back after spending 5 nights at the fort and then 4 offsite at the Kissimmee KOA. Was put in 2100 and really like that loop. Sites are close but are staggered so that your neighbor is not adjacent to you. Much prefer the Cabins pool to the main pool, much quieter and almost no one was in it. Saw a fair amount of non mask compliance inside the loop, but outside everyone was wearing theirs for the most part. The non Studios parks seemed safe on weekdays, on weekends and all 3 times I went to Hollywood Studios, there were more people than I felt comfortable being that close to, despite nearly 100% mask compliance.

View attachment 528287

Great site in the 1500 loop, this week, 1516. We were originally booked in the 300 loop but they are all super swampy right now. We loved the privacy of 1500 anyway. It was HOT Friday and Saturday!

View attachment 528288

View attachment 528289

Brett, my 2009 stay at the Fort was during Thanksgiving week and we were in #1513 which is on the outside in that same back corner of 1500. I loved being able to take my folding chair back behind the site over the hill and enjoy the peace and quiet of the canal. And as your first picture indicates, the sites in that corner have lots of space behind them.

Thanks, Bama Ed

Brett, my 2009 stay at the Fort was during Thanksgiving week and we were in #1513 which is on the outside in that same back corner of 1500. I loved being able to take my folding chair back behind the site over the hill and enjoy the peace and quiet of the canal. And as your first picture indicates, the sites in that corner have lots of space behind them.

Thanks, Bama Ed

Ah yes we saw 1513 as well. That is a lovely site. We loved having that large green space for the kids to run around. I have to take this time to give props to the Disney CM who stayed on the phone with me while I drove around loops looking for the perfect site. I told her I felt horrible keeping her on the phone while I was basically being picky and Id call back when I found one and she wasn't having it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter