September Aulani trip woes

CopperCreekBear

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
I hope this isn't a repetitive question and I think I have my head wrapped around use year! A slight DVC newbie.

We have an upcoming Aulani reservation in the middle of Sept 2020. This is using a mix of 2018 banked points and 2019 points. Our use year is October.

DVC hasn't cancelled our reservation, understandably it's still over a month away.

We are trying to make sense of options at this point as it seems Hawaii likely is not going to re-open by then (an assumption I know). From my understanding if we cancel on our own we have to use all of the points by the end of September. If DVC were to cancel because Aulani is still closed, the banked 2018 points would be extended till Nov and our 2019 points for a year. Let me know if that is incorrect?

We are interested in doing a Vero trip instead that same week we would have been going to Aulani. I'm not sure how fast we would be able to re-book, I think depending how far in advance Disney cancels. Any advice? Bite the bullet and cancel or hold out for DVC to do their thing? Thanks!

Bite the bullet and cancel

If you want to use your points.

They don't have to extend your points or do anything for you. You should proactively be putting yourself in the situation where if you lose all your points with zero compensation you felt you did the best choice.

Sounds like you are okay with Vero so I would just move the reservation.

To be clear I haven't had a reservation cancelled, I have not thought about going to Hawaii, and I have no information on if Hawaii would be open or anything.

We cancelled our Sept Hawaii trip and used our points that were going to expire in October to go to WDW last week. We didn’t exactly want to wait for them to announce the resort was closed to get the points past the banking deadline banked. No guarantee there.

We are in the exact situation as you, Oct UY, mix of 2018/2019 points and going to Aulani the end of Sept. Pretty sure it will not happen but are waiting it out. Not sure what will happen to our 2018 as we are on the west coast so we do not feel flying to Florida or even CA is the safest option for us. We shall see........

Same situation with an October stay and Dec UY. We banked all of our 2018 pts into 2019 to plan this trip. I called MS today to see about cancelling and they said that if I were to cancel today, both my 2018 and 2019 points would need to be used by the end of November. If Disney cancels, the 2019 points will be banked into 2020 because our trip was impacted, and that they'd "work with us" on the 2018 points. When I asked what "work with us" meant, MS didn't elaborate, so we'll see.

Right now, I'm inclined to wait since we just got back from WDW and I wouldn't terribly mind going back in Oct/Nov, I'd rather have a bigger trip sometime next year.

Yesterday was our 7 month day to book Aulani for a week. We decided to cancel the Vrbo week on Kauai and not book Aulani. We are hopeful 2022 will be better.

jerseygal is in Vero Beach now and she’s writing about having a good time. Check out what she says on the Vero Beach thread.

I canceled our end of September trip to Aulani this week. When I spoke to MS (chatted actually) I was told 156 of the points would have to be used by Feb 28, 2021 (April use year, 2019 banked points). We're debating booking a trip in February (kids have a break in mid Feb from school), seeing if anyone wants to rent them, gifting them to friends we go to F&W with each year that had to cancel due to an unforeseen tax bill, or moving them to RCI.

I feel your pain.

I canceled our end of September trip to Aulani this week. When I spoke to MS (chatted actually) I was told 156 of the points would have to be used by Feb 28, 2021 (April use year, 2019 banked points). We're debating booking a trip in February (kids have a break in mid Feb from school), seeing if anyone wants to rent them, gifting them to friends we go to F&W with each year that had to cancel due to an unforeseen tax bill, or moving them to RCI.

I feel your pain.

With an April UY, those points should be good until the end of March, not February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter