September busy for 50th?

Alex2Kmommy,

I understant about the nap thing. That's why I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4 day hopper from our Southern Cal city pass once we get there. We might forget about using the Universal (atleast some of us) so we could do the 4 days. It was just the cheaper way to do it and Sea World. Anyhow, it's a dilemma...because technically DS5 could probably be fine w/o a nap. DS3 does pretty well. However, the Park is only open from 10-8. By the time we head back to the room, swim, nap and get back it would probably take a good 3-4 hours. I'm thinking we might do that one day on EE and then skip the nap the other days? I guess we have to see how it goes when we get there.

agoofylover

Lucky you, being able to get away with no nap! DS5 gave up naps before I was ready to lose the free time, LOL. I think he was 4 at the time. DS2 usually sleeps 2 - 2.5 hours, and while he's good about adjusting the naptime, he's a bit of a troll in the evening if he doesn't get one at all, so I won't even try! It would be incredibly lucky if he would crash in the stroller while we're in the park, but I won't hold my breath...

My rough plan will be to try to have early meals (ie. dinner around 5pm) to allow some evening time in the parks. We'll see how that goes, I guess. With such an early park closing, it might be an option to have a very late meal as well... something to think about. I'm trying to think of ways to optimize our time, same as you. :thumbsup2

Alex2Kmommy,

Well, DS5 still takes naps...is right now infact! DS3 is full of lots of energy...he won't need naps too much longer. :crazy:. I guess it depends on how early they get up and what they do during the day. Let's hope the parks aren't so busy that we can get on more faster. Hey just an FYI, the block party is only on Sun,Mon and I think Tues the 12th.

agoofylover

I did see that, and am going to plan accordingly. In fact, I would not be surprised if the boys want to see it more than once, so will try to schedule it so that could happen.

When I was planning the trip for last April (similar 'slow' period), there seemed to be a lot more activities to choose from, and the Block Party Bash was every day, I think. I just keep telling myself that this must mean smaller crowds...

Oh, and one other thing to note: The DL calendar for April changed drastically as they got more info on the crowds expected; they extended the park hours, added shows, etc. So keep watch of their schedule for your stay, and see if things might pop up unexpectedly. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the calendar changes. I will keep my eyes open. You know, if it could be as easy to get on the rides and attractions, then I say ok to a few misses on everything else. What days will you be there?

I hope this link works; it is for the Disney calendar page. You can select a character to appear at the top of the page, and select the month/year to print. Very easy!
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/calendars/index.html

Agoofylover, we'll be toward the end of the month; I think your dates were toward mid-month? At least so far, it looks like Disney isn't expecting big crowds (judging by the park hours), so I am A-OK with that!

Alex2Kmommy,

I was just talking about the regular calendar on the resort website....but I am so glad you posted that link!!! Wish I would have seen that before we made a mile long paper chain. :rotfl: I really love the site...I think I will my a storybook for each one of my boys and put it under their pillow the first night at DL. They will love hearing their own name and likes in the books. PapaLR was wanting the calendar info...I hope he sees your post here.
agoofylover

Hi all,
I just discovered this thread. We are going the end of September. I have been lamenting Snow White closing, Aladdin closing and no electric parade! These were the highest 3 items on my list. DD and I actually like the shows better than the rides. I was looking around to see if I was wrong but this didn't help my cause!! :confused3 She has never been to DL and it has been about 14 years for me.

I was just informed today by a CM (DLH concierge) when I was making some reservations that the 50th was ending August 17th!! :sad2: At least, you improved my spirits on that point. ;) These guys are supposed to know these things. So, now how do you plan? The DIS is always more informative. :surfweb: I depend a lot on people like you cause you are people like me. :rotfl:

So will the castle still be decorated? Will there still be the special parade and fireworks?
We will be calling WDTC in the morning and re-post what we find out.

We looked at the schedule published by DL and it looks like the Cars Pre-parade will be on when we are there. We are going 9/28-30. There will be a lot to do just like you said earlier and we are definitlely excited. :woohoo:

I am going to start a thread about finding places that are quiet enough to allow DD to nap without having to leave the park. The comments may be helpful to you.

I will be there sept 28-29th too. The 29th is the first day of the Halloween deal and the HM will be opened back up by then. Let's pray for an easy quiet day!!

A few more little things are being added to the calendar every few days. First the info on the flag retreat and Sword in the Stone ceremony, then the Cars pre-parade (whatever that is!)

This is what happened last April - First there were things listed 3 months out, then they were taken out (!!!), and then gradually things were added back in. I'm not sure of this, but it seemed they were adjusting the amount of entertainment based on the expected attendance at the park. As the park hours adjusted up, more entertainment appeared. And some items (like parades or shows) had multiple showings/day or more days/week added. Lots of items were added in the 3 or 4 weeks beforehand.

Also, when September first appeared on the calendar, there was hardly anything listed, so could also be that they just haven't entered everything in yet. I thought the Sword in the Stone was a daily thing throughout the year, and it was just recently listed...

So hang in there! And keep watch of that calendar! :banana:

agoofylover & Alex2KMommy, Yes I did see the link for the calendar, printed up August and September, complete with Disney stickers from Michaels - gave it to GS5 this weekend during his birthday party. But I missed the storybook link - that is what I was looking for several months ago. When our DS & DD were young (mid 70's), we had gotten them hardback books from disney called "me-books", they were personalized just like the story books are now, but you had to order them from disneyland when you were down there. Thanks for the info!

Good News :rotfl:

Aladdin is scheduled to show starting Sept 30th Saturday

Bad News :sad1:

The 50th basically ends last day Oct 2nd. All golden Mickeys removed, Castle crowns, decorations gone, merchandise pulled on 2nd. ( not sure
exactly when parade, fireworks etc ends)

I spoke to a cm at WDTC this am, I still do not know what if anything "ends" on Aug 17th, as planning at concierge mentioned to us yesterday.

PS I hate to be the bearer of bad news........ but I guess it makes it easier to plan that way :crazy:

(Sigh) So we're going to miss Aladdin by just a few days? That's heartbreaking! Good for those going in October, though... (pouting)

Just a little warning for those DISers who are going to be at DLR on Sept. 28th. !!!!!

The Pirates of the Caribbean Quest for Gold contest happens that night, and the parks are going to be crowded, very crowded.

Here's what I know about the contest. Various sponsor organizations across the country (including tons of local tv and radio stations and ABC affiliates across the country) are having contests to "qualify" for the Quest for Gold. Those winners, and three of their friends or family will be given various degrees of Disneyland vacations, some with accomodations and tickets for several days, some just with 1 day park hoppers. There are going to be as many as 1700 qualifiers (all with at least four free one day park hopper passes for that day), so Sept 28th could have an extra 5000-6000 people, all with free tickets, decending on the parks to play.

The actual Quest for Gold activity doesn't happen until the park closes, at 9pm, and it's a special ticket event for the qualifiers, so they'll all be hovering around the gates at closing waiting to get back in. I also suspect the freebies will stick primarily to DL because they won't know where they have to be to get the gold, but if you're not there when you are supposed to be, you can lose out, (and we're talking $50,000 in gold, people are going to go crazy). I also suspect PotC or it's general vicinity will be closed early to set up for the contest (since there's a pirates tie in).

So if you are planning on going to DLR on the 28th (and you can't change your plans) I would highly recommend taking advantage of early entry that morning, and then escaping to DCA for the rest of the day.

And sorry, I can't tell you how to enter the contest, it's different for people from various parts of the country (and is also only good for US citizens 18 and over), you'll just have to google it and see if there's a contest in your area. :wave: Good luck. :banana:

Oh, no! That stinks, it's our last night! I was hoping that, being a Thursday, it would be kinda quiet and relaxing... That doesn't sound likely. :(

Guess we'll make the most of the rest of our stay, and make sure we hit our favorites again earlier that last day rather than later. Thanks for the heads up!

Alex2kMommy said:
Oh, no! That stinks, it's our last night! I was hoping that, being a Thursday, it would be kinda quiet and relaxing... That doesn't sound likely. :(

Guess we'll make the most of the rest of our stay, and make sure we hit our favorites again earlier that last day rather than later. Thanks for the heads up!

That is our last day there too! :sad:

We were going to go to the parks Mon, Wed and Thurs, I wonder if we should go Mon, Tues, Wed now just to avoid Thursday? :confused3

Leofoenget said:
thats the first day of my trip. my trip is officially ruined

Now don't panic. Remember that the end of September is generally pretty slow going. And this is a Thursday, a work day, during a non-vacation period, so maybe all the contestants won't show up. It may feel more like July crowds than September though. I just wanted to let you all know so you can plan ahead, now you have time to figure out a game plan, so you won't be too disappointed when you go.

(I also doubt that all those contestants will know how to best use the fastpass system, so get there early and assign a runner to gather as many fastpasses for later in the day when the contestants begin to arrive. - I hope that's not wishful thinking on my part.) :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter