~~~~ Sew, help me... A bittersweet "Epic Girls Trip"... January 2018! ~~~~ UPDATE 1/7!!~~

I sure hope so... I am super nervous about this. Like I was telling V yesterday... The thing with the cold in FL, is there is nowhere to go to get out of it - it's not like they have furnaces there to warm buildings - so there is always a chill. I was never so thankful to get home to the zero temps and furnaces. LOL At least I was warm at home. Terrible - I know. ::yes:: Let's pray the cold is VERY short lived!
I was very happy to walk off the plane into a well-heated Midway Airport after one very cold January trip. ;) We'll just have to hope that this January will be warmer. ::yes::

We booked a trip in January, too, so we will be watching the weather, just like you. :)

WOW a lot have happened while I was in Vienna, Austria.
How great that you are going back to WDW.
I'm glad to hear that the weekend with your dad and brother went well. How great that you are taking your brother to your house so he can meet dad.

Hi D!! I am so very thrilled that you and the girls are getting to take this trip! I have enjoyed reading your plans so far. At least this time going in January you can be prepared for it to be cold unlike last time. But, watch, there will be a heat wave, LOL. It is really hard to predict Florida weather. I can't wait to see what outfits you come up with this time. How Exciting!!!!

I also wanted to thank you for the encouragement and good thoughts regarding our situation with Quinn. I have been busy going to speech therapy and occupational therapy with her, so haven't had much time for the Dis, unfortunately. They have diagnosed Quinn with a Sensory Processing Disorder and they also think that she is likely on the Autism Spectrum. We have to wait for an official diagnosis on that, but she is getting the help that she needs right now. My DH is hesitant to have the evaluation because he doesn't want her to be "labeled" for her whole life. I don't want that either, but I don't think he understands that it's not something she will "grow out of". We both just want her to get the help she needs to live the best life possible. Anyway, just keep my sweet girl in your prayers. Thanks for being a good friend! :hug:

I'm so looking forward to reading all your plans for this trip! Hooray for DISNEY!!!

Just giving my 2 cents on the weather. I went with my son one year mid-Dec. Checked the weather right up until the day we left. Well, the first few days were great but then took an un-forcasted turn. A few nights the temps were below 32 degrees and some of the flower beds had to be replanted. I brought no jacket (dumb) and only 1 pair of jeans. I ended up buying a jacket and wearing the same pair of jeans the rest of the trip. So, it's good to be prepared no matter what the forecast says. After your last experience, I'm sure you will be!

We went end of January/beginning of February once. For part of week it was beautiful. Low 60's, sunny. The rest of the week, it was 50's and rainy. We all had ponchos and jackets on for days.

I'm last, but I'm here!!! So excited for you and the girls. I get to live vicariously through you for these trips.

Glad your dad is doing well and that you got to spend time with your brother. Glad it is working out.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

During the January trip in 2016, we doubled up on hoodies - never did wear our winter coats. We wore mittens and scarves with our hoodies. Definitely plan on long pants/leggings though.

On the other hand, when we went in December last year, it was in the 80s most days. The evenings did cool off, but we wore shorts during the days and jeans in the evening.

I'm almost positive we will not be there in January next year. Just moved our April trip to May - and surprise! its the same week Mo will be there.

Just popping in to vote for red nails and to say "phew you're one busy lady" I feel like I'm getting healthy just reading about you salad lunch and workouts!! If only it was that easy lol. Well done to you. Keep up the good work

Hey!!! Thanks for the vote - it looks like my red dot nails are winning by a landslide. ::yes::

Hehehe - wouldn't it be nice if it actually worked that way? LOL Thanks - I am so relieved that I was able to get my head back in the game. :lovestruc

Sounds like your plans are coming along great. I also vote for red nails. The most outfit planning I do is which Disney shirt to wear. I have a few t-shirts and also a couple sweatshirts. Usually though it's a tee and and zippered Disney hoodie if it's cooler. I try and get a zippered hoodie every year. The only problem with that is sometimes people see them and ask where I got them, and they're no longer available.

I think one year, maybe 2013, it had been so cold leading up to our trip. I kept reading people were buying winter coats to wear. It was an extended cold spell for about 3 weeks where many days were in the 50's. Luckily when we got there we had mostly 80's and I think only one cool day in the 60's. I was really watching the weather that year. I don't mind 60's but if our whole trip had been 50's that would have really disappointed me. We usually wear jeans but one year when we went in early March it was really hot. My husband wore shorts and got that Disney rash. He said he's never wearing shorts to the parks again.

Glad your weekend with your brother went great. I know what you mean when you say you're the one. While I have sisters none of them are close so that makes me the one for my dad too. He's still having some confusion, but he's still in his house for now. He is really adamant about staying there. He even tells me he just came home and found my Grandpa dead. He had moved in to help take care of my Grandma who had Alzheimer's. So I hope he can stay at home at least for now. I know how hard the decision making is though.

We had a great time in Duluth, except for the rain. It did go away on our last day though so that was nice. I know there was a lot of rain in the cities though and my granddaughters' games were cancelled for 2 days.

Plans are coming along great! And thanks for the vote on the red nails. The girls and I are getting so excited! :woohoo:

I think my plan is to bring a couple of fleece jackets, my fall jacket and maybe my denim jacket... I am hoping that is enough. :scratchin

I also plan to bring mostly capris... Just a couple pairs of shorts and a couple pairs of jeans... Capris should keep me at a happy middle ground - I hope. ::yes::

Knock on wood - I have never had the dreaded Disney rash... Not sure why? I've worn shorts a lot and flip flops too... :scratchin

Hopefully everything continues to go OK with your dad living in his own home... It's such a hard adjustment for them. I can't imagine how hard it is once the confusion sets in... it's just not easy. Sending you hugs!

Glad you had a great time in Duluth - despite the rain. :lovestruc

Thanks for the washing instructions. I hope your bag is fresh and clean. I love that SBW b&w bag!

I'm headed on a dive trip this weekend. We'd originally scheduled a group trip to one of the hard hit caribbean islands. Had to fall back and punt when that trip got cancelled. Only half the original group are going, but we are going to have some fun diving for a week. It will be a nice break after all the stress of the past few months. Unfortunately DH isn't going (he was originally going on the trip) due to having to spend extra leave and time away from work due to the court stuff. But we'll make up for it next month at WDW!!!

Thanks - I think I may have to scrub it again? It's not as clean as I want. I may run it through the wash without the bleach to see if that does anything for it? :scratchin

I hope you enjoy your weekend! You deserve a few days to unwind and enjoy yourself. :hug: And woohoo for WDW next month! :woohoo:

My DH is also anti-crowds so DW is really pushing the limit for him. I try to plan accordingly and build in some time away from the masses. ADR's and FP's really help so we're not fighting the crowds and standing in long lines. Asking him to stay for Happily Ever After could be a stretch! I was able to book FP's at the 60 day mark. I used a strategy I read somewhere - schedule the hard to get FP's for later in your trip then book that day first. We'll be there Sat-Sat and planned an AK day for Thurs. When I went back to our MK day and tried to book 7DMT there was no availability but I plan to keep checking periodically. We're going to MVMCP one night so we can always ride it then

It's hard... To be honest, the girls and I don't really like the crowds at all either... It's pretty rare that you will find us at any of the nighttime shows for this reason... If you do find us there - we will likely be in an easy-exit location, so we can get out ahead of the crowds.

Glad you got your fps... Because we are staying at SoG - it's very likely that we won't get FPs for FoP this time around... So, the girls and I will likely skip it this trip. We will definitely go into Pandora and look around - but we will probably stick to our favorites in AK, while all of the other people are waiting in the long lines... Then next trip - hopefully everyone will be freaking out over at DHS and we can do FoP. :lmao:

I do have a PTR, although I probably shouldn't have started one this time around...it's a double report with December/Jan and my October trip coming up in 9 days that I have barely had time to focus on at all. I'm taking my mom for her first ever visit, and everything is planned, but I'm in charge of our school's fall festival and it has been taking all of my time. I haven't even had a chance to be very excited about it! I'm way behind on updating the PTR, and I usually post more on them...I need to kick it into gear, LOL!!

For the short notice trip, the DVC reservation we bought is at AKL, and we added two nights onto the front at All Star Movies because it was all that was available - we've never stayed at a value before, and I am excited to see the big icons and take a million pictures of them.

I agree about the less waiting being a good thing!! All of my other trips have been booked and planned SO FAR in advance. Although having gone frequently over the past few years, there is less planning and more going with the flow. The trip in 9 days is stressful to me b/c I feel pressure to make sure my mom has a great time (she has no concept of the scale of WDW, at all, and it's hard to explain, so I am nervous!!), but the NYE trip isn't bothering me as much since it will just be me and DH, and we just want to eat food

We were so antsy with the one late flight we had a couple of years ago, we couldn't handle it anymore and went to the airport super early. We thought we'd rather sit at the airport for an extra couple of hours than hang around the house. We were driving ourselves crazy sitting at home, so going to the airport made us feel like we were doing something I guess?? It sounded like a great idea until we were actually there just sitting and waiting and the kids were bored, haha.

This is when our plane was supposed to land on the flight I mentioned above. We had some storm delay so it was a little later. It was so weird to see MCO empty and the stores closed, and for the resort to be deserted when we arrived. (but it was a great opportunity to grab some pictures of the Wilderness Lodge lobby empty!!)

OH! and I'm on team red nails for your manicure!

How fun - and special to be able to take your mom! :lovestruc I hope you have an amazing time and I am sure she will see the magic you see too! Awesome!

FUN!!! I truly enjoyed staying at AKL the one time I was able to stay there - it was a truly wonderful experience!

We also do a LOT less planning... We know what we like to do - so we do it, and then we wing the rest of it. We also have slowed down a lot - we aren't in a mad rush to do "everything"... Naps are more of a priority. LOL And food too! LOL I swear we go for the food, which I don't understand - because by day 3, we are usually so sick of it. LOL

Hahaha! This will likely be us! We will have to wait for Josh to get home from work to bring us back to the airport - so he will likely keep us on schedule - or at least not too far ahead of schedule. ::yes:: And we are flying out of the little airport again - so it should be so easy to just hop on our flight. I think there is like 14 gates or something insane like that - so it really is small and security isn't usually too long to get through. ::yes::

Oh yes - it should all be closed when we get there - which will be weird. Knowing this - and your advice - I am going to try to pack us some snacks, just in case we are hungry when we get there and can't find anything.

Woohoo!!! Looks like red is the clear winner! :lovestruc

Dorine!

2017-10-05.png

My daughter wants us to go again! We just made reservations for a Royal room at POR-R. I've wanted to stay there for a while! We're going Feb 3 - 10. I wish we could stay at SOG but we're fresh out of military connections. She keeps getting boyfriends who are in the armed forces but goes through them pretty quickly, LOL.

Sooooo exciting!!!! I love POR - it's such a magnificent resort! We've never actually "stayed there", but staying at FQ - we have spent a lot of time there and used their main pool. You will have a fantastic time!

Ha! She needs to keep some of those boyfriends! ::yes:: LOL

I was very happy to walk off the plane into a well-heated Midway Airport after one very cold January trip. ;) We'll just have to hope that this January will be warmer.
We booked a trip in January, too, so we will be watching the weather, just like you.

See!!! I thought it was so funny when I came home from that trip - and even though it was frozen here - it was so much warmer! LOL

Yay!!!! So excited about this!!! :lovestruc

WOW a lot have happened while I was in Vienna, Austria.
How great that you are going back to WDW.
I'm glad to hear that the weekend with your dad and brother went well. How great that you are taking your brother to your house so he can meet dad.

Welcome back my traveling friend! :lovestruc

How was your trip? Did you have fun? Did you get to see all of your friends that you had planned to see?

The girls and I are super excited! We never thought this would happen!

Yes - everything went very well, we are looking forward to doing it again. :lovestruc

Hi D!! I am so very thrilled that you and the girls are getting to take this trip! I have enjoyed reading your plans so far. At least this time going in January you can be prepared for it to be cold unlike last time. But, watch, there will be a heat wave, LOL. It is really hard to predict Florida weather. I can't wait to see what outfits you come up with this time. How Exciting!!!!

I also wanted to thank you for the encouragement and good thoughts regarding our situation with Quinn. I have been busy going to speech therapy and occupational therapy with her, so haven't had much time for the Dis, unfortunately. They have diagnosed Quinn with a Sensory Processing Disorder and they also think that she is likely on the Autism Spectrum. We have to wait for an official diagnosis on that, but she is getting the help that she needs right now. My DH is hesitant to have the evaluation because he doesn't want her to be "labeled" for her whole life. I don't want that either, but I don't think he understands that it's not something she will "grow out of". We both just want her to get the help she needs to live the best life possible. Anyway, just keep my sweet girl in your prayers. Thanks for being a good friend!

I'm so looking forward to reading all your plans for this trip! Hooray for DISNEY!!!

Hi Brandi! :lovestruc

I am sure hoping for a heatwave - or even just the nice fall weather like we are having now would be wonderful. ::yes::

Thanks for the update on Quinn - she is so lucky to have you as parents and advocating for her! She will do wonderful - I just know it - and so will you! :lovestruc Continued prayers to all of you for guidance and strength! :hug:

So, does this mean that you need to come back to the US? Or are you able to stay there? I know, at the beginning you had mentioned that you may need to come back...

Just giving my 2 cents on the weather. I went with my son one year mid-Dec. Checked the weather right up until the day we left. Well, the first few days were great but then took an un-forcasted turn. A few nights the temps were below 32 degrees and some of the flower beds had to be replanted. I brought no jacket (dumb) and only 1 pair of jeans. I ended up buying a jacket and wearing the same pair of jeans the rest of the trip. So, it's good to be prepared no matter what the forecast says. After your last experience, I'm sure you will be!

This will be us!!! LOL I shouldn't laugh - but by the last day of that January trip, my layers were comical! :lmao:

I've actually been contemplating the purchase of a new suitcase... A lighter one, so I can pack more this time around. ::yes:: We'll see... LOL Financially - I really need to make do with what I have... However - my luggage has been around the world several times - so it's not as if it's new or anything... It will need to be replaced eventually.

We went end of January/beginning of February once. For part of week it was beautiful. Low 60's, sunny. The rest of the week, it was 50's and rainy. We all had ponchos and jackets on for days.

Yah - this is exactly what I am afraid of... I am going to have to pack a little of everything and hope it's enough. :scratchin At least, in August, it's gonna be hot - you know it's gonna be hot - I literally packed the smallest clothes I owned because I knew I'd want to be as close to naked as humanly possible - and still be decent. :lmao:

I'm last, but I'm here!!! So excited for you and the girls. I get to live vicariously through you for these trips.

Glad your dad is doing well and that you got to spend time with your brother. Glad it is working out.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Hey Lynee!!! Thanks! We are so excited! :woohoo: We love that we get to go as a trio again!

It's working out well - and Dad is adjusting... He seems to be doing better day by day. :lovestruc

Thanks! Same to you! :lovestruc

During the January trip in 2016, we doubled up on hoodies - never did wear our winter coats. We wore mittens and scarves with our hoodies. Definitely plan on long pants/leggings though.

On the other hand, when we went in December last year, it was in the 80s most days. The evenings did cool off, but we wore shorts during the days and jeans in the evening.

I'm almost positive we will not be there in January next year. Just moved our April trip to May - and surprise! its the same week Mo will be there.

Yah... That was crazy weather... And then you had to go home to a blizzard too - on top of it all. I sure hope it's much warmer this time! ::yes::

I could live with weather like that, for sure! That's what I expect when I go to Florida in January. ::yes::

Bummer!!! Hahaha - figures! Oh well, one day we will overlap again! :lovestruc

*****************************************************************************************************

Sorry that it's been a few days since I checked in... I've been super busy!

Gosh - I am not sure I can even remember what I did... Oh yah...

This is sort-of a long story, so bear with me for a few minutes...

OK - so as you all know, my mom died when I was 16. She was very, very sick my whole life - so her death was not a shock to us. My family had been preparing me for the inevitable for my entire life, pretty much. To this day, because I was a stupid child, and rationalized "if I didn't know her, it wouldn't hurt as much"... So, I spent much of my childhood afraid to spend time with her and afraid to know her. And then she died, and I've spent the last 26 years trying to get to know my mom. It really is terrible.

Right around the time my mom was moved into a nursing home - I was (ummm) 12ish, we lost contact with most of her friends from college... I do remember a couple of them coming to one of her birthday parties a couple years before she died, but for the most part - we lost touch with everyone. These are people who are flooded in my baby pictures, and people that I "know" through them... As my mom was the first of her friends to marry and have kids - all of her friends doted on me and helped her care for me.

Several weeks ago, my aunt sent me a message and asked me to call her when it was convenient... So, I did. And here's the story she told me...

Her DH (my uncle) is a deacon in the Catholic Church... And he had just done a homily in which he mentioned their home town and where they grew up. After the service, this lady came up to him, and asked him if he knew any "insert Mom's maiden name" and specifically my mom, from that area... And he chuckled, saying he knew a "few" (LOL, my mom comes from a HUGE and well known family in that area) - eventually telling this lady that he is married my my mom's sister.

Very long story short... My mom's friend, Alice, had found us. :lovestruc I have been looking for my mom's friends almost since her death - as I am certain (and now I know for sure) that none of them were notified of her death.... I am sure they suspected after a while... And as it turns out, Alice has been looking for us.

So, my aunt took the initiative to help us meet again... Alice is all over my baby pictures - as various stages of my childhood - up until about age 4... I don't think we actually lost touch with her though until I was about 8-9... We met for lunch on Thursday... Lots of tears... She cried - I cried - many times over. She told me stories of my mom - things I'd never heard before... She told me more of my mom's personality, courage and determination. It was a lovely lunch - an emotional lunch... Something I very much looked forward to and dreaded at the same time. It was heart-wrenching, and in the same moment, comforting. I knew, as I have felt at many points in my life, that my mom was smiling down on us that day, knowing that her daughter and one of her best friends had found each other. :lovestruc

I now have Alice's contact information... As it turns out - she still lives in the same house she lived in when we last had contact with her... and I look forward to staying in touch. :lovestruc

A couple of "then n' nows" for you all...

6E5AD804-3699-43E6-B2EF-8EC70785CA0D.jpg

4CA83203-2451-490E-A77B-3DA21BD6A4CB.jpg

5A632B06-9A59-4A87-A16B-F4687D7F520F.jpg

And then my aunt and I... Alice wouldn't have found us, if it wasn't for her and my uncle. :lovestruc

5CD0B01A-2E44-4671-8E99-D82A945522BC.jpg

So, that was my Thursday... Over all - it was a wonderful day.

Friday... We paid off another credit card and made a giant principle payment to Josh's truck (next on our debt list)... If you are keeping track, so far this year, we have paid off 6 CCs, 2 vehicles and 2 personal loans! :eek:

I also went grocery shopping...

I went out to lunch with Dad...

And I had my hair colored and cut - which was supposed to happen last Tuesday, but my stylist had to reschedule. ::yes:: I didn't do anything exciting... I tried to remain cheap and just did a root touch up and a cut (which I desperately needed both).

Yesterday - I was finally able to take Dad to church... This has been a huge undertaking for me, as his denomination has a long service (4+hours), so me going to church with him isn't exactly something I enjoy doing. Not getting into a religious debate or anything - it's just not my denomination or my personal belief - so it's not something I really want to invest time in... That being said - I totally RESPECT my Dad's beliefs, and WANT him to be able to attend his services... So, I have been doing everything in my power to make sure he can attend and be SAFE while being there - as leaving him there unattended scares me a lot. So, that being said - I have befriended several members of his new church - all of which are willing to "keep an eye on Dad" while he is there, and they all have my contact info if it's necessary to contact me. Yesterday went very well, I am happy to say, so I think I will be able to drop him off a couple times per month, so he is able to attend services. This makes me so happy for him! Having a church family involved in his life makes a HUGE difference in his quality of life - and that was my main goal when moving him nearer to us, was to give him a better quality of life. :lovestruc

7CE37970-CDFE-4904-B1DA-588D80EE17A6.jpg

Today is a working day for me... I plan to not leave my pajamas and work until dinner time. Unless I am finished sooner. :scratchin This is my last big push for a while... And after I finish with this, I can start on our own trip customs. ::yes:: Which means I can start doing a few PTR updates too. ::yes::

I hope all of you are having an amazing weekend! Sending prayers and pixie dust out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

OK - so as you all know, my mom died when I was 16. She was very, very sick my whole life - so her death was not a shock to us. My family had been preparing me for the inevitable for my entire life, pretty much. To this day, because I was a stupid child, and rationalized "if I didn't know her, it wouldn't hurt as much"... So, I spent much of my childhood afraid to spend time with her and afraid to know her. And then she died, and I've spent the last 26 years trying to get to know my mom. It really is terrible.
This is totally understandable. They wanted you to be less sad when your mother passed away.
So, my aunt took the initiative to help us meet again... Alice is all over my baby pictures - as various stages of my childhood - up until about age 4... I don't think we actually lost touch with her though until I was about 8-9... We met for lunch on Thursday... Lots of tears... She cried - I cried - many times over. She told me stories of my mom - things I'd never heard before... She told me more of my mom's personality, courage and determination. It was a lovely lunch - an emotional lunch... Something I very much looked forward to and dreaded at the same time. It was heart-wrenching, and in the same moment, comforting. I knew, as I have felt at many points in my life, that my mom was smiling down on us that day, knowing that her daughter and one of her best friends had found each other. :lovestruc
I'm so glad that you found Alice. It must have been wonderful to hear her stories. :)

How great that you got to meet your mom's friend Alice.

I'm glad to hear your dad is able to attend the church service since this is something he enjoys.

My trip to Vienna was great. I got to meet old and new friends and I got to see a lot of Vienna.

Ulf and I was discussing if I needed to get the tires changed on my car to winter tires this week, but we ended up not changing them since it has been 48ºF this week and the weather forecast said it would stay like that this weekend. We aren't allowed to change to winter tires until 16th October unless the weather says something different. Meaning that if the temperature gets close or under freezing point we are allowed to change tires before the 16th. The forecast for this coming week says that the temperatures will get really close to freezing point so I think Ulf will change the tires on my car during the coming week.

We have had a warm and sunny autumn so far. But now the temperatures are getting lower and winter will come soon. Today we have 44.6ºF outside and cloudy.

I'm glad you and your mom's friend Alice found each other and were able to get together.
It's good that you found a church for your dad to go to. I understand not liking long services. the pastor of my church once said that he keeps his sermons at around 5 minutes because people stop listening after that. The whole service would last about 45-1 hour.
My dryer is still not fixed. I have to call a repair man tomorrow. My neighbor couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. My clothes are hanging outside right now. Hopefully it doesn't rain. Other than that, it's been quiet around here.
Enjoy your day
Liz

I am crying happy tears for you...to reconnect with Alice and know that she was trying to find your Mom’s family. What a true friend she was to your Mom, and how sweet to learn more of your Mom. I’m so happy for you. I’m sure it was bittersweet, but truly a blessing. I can’t stop smiling for you!

Congratulations on more debt paid off! I’m debating what to pay off first...I have three options (well, there’s much more than that but these are the three I’m looking at first)...just trying to figure it out. One is a retirement account loan that, while it has a low interest rate, is a bigger payment (much bigger!) each month than the other two...so it would make a bigger impact in our ability to pay other things off faster. What to do..... but you may be happy to know that I actually think I am ready to put our bank’s app on my phone and not leave all of it to Mark. That’s a HUGE step for me, and I surprised myself yesterday when I had the idea to ask him for the info so I could put it on my phone...

I’m glad your Dad was able to go to church and that you have made connections there that will make it possible for him to go. That’s wonderful, and I’m sure that it will help him feel more settled in. I’m sure he appreciated you taking him. Once we sign the contract to build our home we’re going to start attending church there every other week and then with my mother-in-law the other weeks. I hope that quickly integrating into our new congregation will help me get to know people and feel confortable. I thought our church service was long at 3 hours (for the worship service, Sunday School, and auxiliary meetings) but your Dad’s 4 hour service has mine beat!

I spent the day with my girls yesterday...nothing big (other than family pictures in 32 degree temperatures...) but we ran errands, went to Costco, and just hung out. It was lovely.

Enjoy your work day...I love seeing your beautiful creations!

Wow you had an amazing weekend! It’s wonderful that you were able to meet Alice & learn about your mom. Reading about the meeting was really touching. I’m so glad she found you (or your uncle).

Great job with the paying off debts! I’m a little jealous that you can work in your pjs.

I have been "off" Disboards for about a year (lots of changes in our lives--we bought a house, moved, had our 3rd granddaughter, holidays, I retired, finally sold our old house...etc.!) and was so surprised to see another PTR for your DLP trip...Have been reading off and on all day (we've had our 3 year old granddaughter here) and then...wow...another PTR for your January trip to WDW! Can't wait to read about your plans!
My husband and I are also going in January (I will PM you our dates) It came about very similar to how yours did. I saw REALLY good flight prices and not only was the price great, the times were great also! In about 10 minutes, I'd gotten the go ahead from my husband, booked our flights and resort! I think I made the reservations very close to my 180 day for ADRs and now have to wait to make FP ressies....
Glad that you are making this trip for you and your daughters. I think you needed this! I could tell a difference in your writing! You do so much for your family!
Oh, and great job on getting debt free!! I created a very similar budget process over 30 years and except for tweaking the numbers every year or so, it has remained much the same. We do use our Disney card but pay it off in full every month. You will love budgeting for Christmas--it's so great to purchase gifts as you see them!

How great to meet up with Alice. I'm sure hearing old stories mean a lot to you. When my husband found his birth parents they had died, but we have connected with most of his siblings. Only 1 brother didn't want to meet us out of 8. He just had a hard time as no one knew. But the stories are what he loves to hear. One sister even had a vhs tape of his father talking with his brother about his life growing up on a farm. What a gift to see and hear him. His parents had gotten back together and you couldn't see his mom but you could hear her.

Oh my goodness! Congrats on paying off 6 credit cards. We have 5 but mainly use 2, our Target and 1 other that save 5%. Our major one is a GM card where we earn points to buy a car. We pay them off every month though. I can't imagine carrying balances on that many. Plus you've paid off other things too. I'm sure you will make your goal to be debt free.

How nice that your dad can go to church now. I can't imagine 4 hours though. That's a long time for him, but I'm sure he's glad to find a church. It's great there are people who can keep an eye on him so you don't have to stay.

We're kind of like you on planning for our Disney trips now. We make fp's and usually just 1 or 2 dining reservations and play the rest by ear. So different from when we first started going. But since we stay longer now, we aren't rushed into trying to do everything. I will really miss going and just getting away from the cold this year. I wish I knew that we are taking a trip to Disneyland because that would help me and we could start planning for that. My grandson already is planning and I hope he isn't disappointed if his parents say they can't afford it.

What a wonderful meetup. I'm sure there were great stories shared, and I'm glad you're reconnected now!

So happy you're doing a girls trip and that we'll be in the same place, same time for crossover girls trips!:earboy2:

Huge lump in the throat moment for me reading about your Mom and re-connecting with her friend. What a lunch that was Dorine! I am so happy for you; and now you will be able to continue this friendship. Kudos to your uncle and aunt.

And your Dad! So glad you have found a way for him to attend church. This will mean so much to him. Wonderful job Dorine.

Yes, it was a quick trip; we are back from Universal. We flew in Friday evening late; and flew back Monday morning. Speaking of flying in late; by the time we checked into the hotel we had 10 minutes before the on-site food court closed at 11:00; we cut it close. It was so good to have all of my family together. Oh my goodness though, the heat, wow, we are native Texans and we were all melting. Then add rain to that Sunday late afternoon. And the crowds Saturday. We managed:) There was so much security at the Halloween event Saturday evening; Universal and Orlando police; I could not see Santos any where though. That was an experience of a lifetime:) We did all 9 horror houses.

Can't wait to see more about your trip Dorine!! So good to check in and see you back on the boards. Sending a huge squeeze.

I think it's great that you are able to squeeze in another trip to Disney with your girls. Make all the memories with them as you can.

I hope everything goes well with your weekends with your brother. I have a sister in law that has special needs. When my in laws died several years ago all the siblings take turns having her on the weekends. I think your brother will really appreciate what you are doing for him.

What a lovely reunion with Alice. I hope she will be able to help you know your mom a little better.

Last edited:
I've been terrible at keeping up with reports on the disboards lately, but yet here I am joining in to read another one! :rolleyes1

I'll also be at Disney in January! If you see a short brunette with a giant, puffy wedding dress along the Boardwalk be sure to say hello! We were there last year during the cold days - we saw lots of people with mittens and touques and scarves, but since we're Canadian we were just wearing light spring jackets haha.

This is totally understandable. They wanted you to be less sad when your mother passed away.
I'm so glad that you found Alice. It must have been wonderful to hear her stories.

Definitely - I completely understand. I know my family only had our best intentions at heart - they always have. :lovestruc

It was wonderful seeing Alice!

How great that you got to meet your mom's friend Alice.

I'm glad to hear your dad is able to attend the church service since this is something he enjoys.

My trip to Vienna was great. I got to meet old and new friends and I got to see a lot of Vienna.

Ulf and I was discussing if I needed to get the tires changed on my car to winter tires this week, but we ended up not changing them since it has been 48ºF this week and the weather forecast said it would stay like that this weekend. We aren't allowed to change to winter tires until 16th October unless the weather says something different. Meaning that if the temperature gets close or under freezing point we are allowed to change tires before the 16th. The forecast for this coming week says that the temperatures will get really close to freezing point so I think Ulf will change the tires on my car during the coming week.

We have had a warm and sunny autumn so far. But now the temperatures are getting lower and winter will come soon. Today we have 44.6ºF outside and cloudy.

Yes - it was wonderful and I was so happy to be able to take Dad to church too!

Glad to hear that Vienna was great - as I imagined it would be. :lovestruc You always take the best trips!

It is that time of year, isn't it? You put on new tires and we turn on our furnace. ::yes:: Although - this year, I need new tires on my car too.

Dreading winter - as usual. LOL I put the electric blanket on our bed yesterday afternoon and cranked it up to "9", so it was nice and toasty when I went up to bed. :lmao:

I'm glad you and your mom's friend Alice found each other and were able to get together.
It's good that you found a church for your dad to go to. I understand not liking long services. the pastor of my church once said that he keeps his sermons at around 5 minutes because people stop listening after that. The whole service would last about 45-1 hour.
My dryer is still not fixed. I have to call a repair man tomorrow. My neighbor couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. My clothes are hanging outside right now. Hopefully it doesn't rain. Other than that, it's been quiet around here.
Enjoy your day
Liz

It was neat seeing her... Sadly, neither of us can quite pinpoint when we lost touch.

Well, I am glad that I can just drop him off - it worked out OK... It will be much more difficult once winter weather and roads set in - but for now, it's manageable. ::yes::

Bummer! I sure hope you are able to get it fixed soon!

I hope you have a great day too!

I am crying happy tears for you...to reconnect with Alice and know that she was trying to find your Mom’s family. What a true friend she was to your Mom, and how sweet to learn more of your Mom. I’m so happy for you. I’m sure it was bittersweet, but truly a blessing. I can’t stop smiling for you!

Congratulations on more debt paid off! I’m debating what to pay off first...I have three options (well, there’s much more than that but these are the three I’m looking at first)...just trying to figure it out. One is a retirement account loan that, while it has a low interest rate, is a bigger payment (much bigger!) each month than the other two...so it would make a bigger impact in our ability to pay other things off faster. What to do..... but you may be happy to know that I actually think I am ready to put our bank’s app on my phone and not leave all of it to Mark. That’s a HUGE step for me, and I surprised myself yesterday when I had the idea to ask him for the info so I could put it on my phone...

I’m glad your Dad was able to go to church and that you have made connections there that will make it possible for him to go. That’s wonderful, and I’m sure that it will help him feel more settled in. I’m sure he appreciated you taking him. Once we sign the contract to build our home we’re going to start attending church there every other week and then with my mother-in-law the other weeks. I hope that quickly integrating into our new congregation will help me get to know people and feel confortable. I thought our church service was long at 3 hours (for the worship service, Sunday School, and auxiliary meetings) but your Dad’s 4 hour service has mine beat!

I spent the day with my girls yesterday...nothing big (other than family pictures in 32 degree temperatures...) but we ran errands, went to Costco, and just hung out. It was lovely.

Enjoy your work day...I love seeing your beautiful creations!

It was so wonderful seeing Alice, and hearing her stories.

Hmmm... That is a hard decision. We have just been paying off lowest balance to highest balance, regardless of interest or payment amount... Which was really hard at the beginning, because our smallest balances were also our smallest payments - so our snowball gained very little momentum at first.... I guess - as long as you are making progress, that's all that matters. ::yes::

WTG with the bank stuff - so you can at least know what is going on. Proud of you! :thumbsup2

I sure hope it helps dad, even a little bit... I am trying so hard to make this transition easier on him - though it isn't easy sometimes.

That will be wonderful for you to finally have your own connections and to finally feel settled. I am very excited for you to start building your house, so you can start building your own life again... There is NO way I could live with my in-laws, ever... We barely survive 4th of July week each year. LOL

It is so awesome that you are able to spend time with your girls now... I know how precious this time is for you - as it is for me!

We are planning to do "girls pics" here soon - we finally have all of our outfits assembled, just waiting for the fall colors to pop! I am excited, as it has been several years since the 3 of us have been on a photo shoot... I'd love to do the family too - but I am not sure if we will get that done this fall or not? I'd even love to do just Josh and I - but I've been trying to get that one done for years, and I just can't seem to drag him out. :scratchin

Thank you - same to you! :lovestruc

Wow you had an amazing weekend! It’s wonderful that you were able to meet Alice & learn about your mom. Reading about the meeting was really touching. I’m so glad she found you (or your uncle).

Great job with the paying off debts! I’m a little jealous that you can work in your pjs.

It was neat to meet up with her, I didn't have very high expectations, but I definitely wanted to have that connection back in my life. :lovestruc

Thanks! We are working hard - we will have almost everything paid off this year... Just a few stragglers for the early part of next year, but it will go fast! ::yes::

Hahhaa... Sometimes it's not always an advantage. LOL I am sure Josh loves coming home and seeing me still in my PJs... Though - usually when that happens, it doesn't mean I've been lazy - it means I've had a very accomplished day. :scratchin

I have been "off" Disboards for about a year (lots of changes in our lives--we bought a house, moved, had our 3rd granddaughter, holidays, I retired, finally sold our old house...etc.!) and was so surprised to see another PTR for your DLP trip...Have been reading off and on all day (we've had our 3 year old granddaughter here) and then...wow...another PTR for your January trip to WDW! Can't wait to read about your plans!
My husband and I are also going in January (I will PM you our dates) It came about very similar to how yours did. I saw REALLY good flight prices and not only was the price great, the times were great also! In about 10 minutes, I'd gotten the go ahead from my husband, booked our flights and resort! I think I made the reservations very close to my 180 day for ADRs and now have to wait to make FP ressies....
Glad that you are making this trip for you and your daughters. I think you needed this! I could tell a difference in your writing! You do so much for your family!
Oh, and great job on getting debt free!! I created a very similar budget process over 30 years and except for tweaking the numbers every year or so, it has remained much the same. We do use our Disney card but pay it off in full every month. You will love budgeting for Christmas--it's so great to purchase gifts as you see them!

Oh WOW!!! You have been very busy!!! :woohoo:

I still can't believe those January flight prices! They were awesome! ::yes:: We are also waiting on FP reservations - but we won't do those until December, so we have some time yet... Still trying to get a few better meal times though. ::yes::

I am super excited - you are right - we did need this! It has been such a stressful year and I am not sure how I got through everything... It's really nice to have this "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow to look forward to.

Thank you. :hug:

Thanks - we have been working very hard to be more financially responsible, and teaching our girls the same. I only wish we had found this plan much earlier in life - our course would have been very altered. ::yes::

I have already been buying Christmas gifts - it's been nice, as I see things I can just get them. ::yes:: Not to mention BMTL - I always have to have their shopping done early so I can send their gifts over with Machteld - I am getting close with them, I just need a couple more things. ::yes::

Thanks for stopping by and checking in - it's great to see you. :hug:

How great to meet up with Alice. I'm sure hearing old stories mean a lot to you. When my husband found his birth parents they had died, but we have connected with most of his siblings. Only 1 brother didn't want to meet us out of 8. He just had a hard time as no one knew. But the stories are what he loves to hear. One sister even had a vhs tape of his father talking with his brother about his life growing up on a farm. What a gift to see and hear him. His parents had gotten back together and you couldn't see his mom but you could hear her.

Oh my goodness! Congrats on paying off 6 credit cards. We have 5 but mainly use 2, our Target and 1 other that save 5%. Our major one is a GM card where we earn points to buy a car. We pay them off every month though. I can't imagine carrying balances on that many. Plus you've paid off other things too. I'm sure you will make your goal to be debt free.

How nice that your dad can go to church now. I can't imagine 4 hours though. That's a long time for him, but I'm sure he's glad to find a church. It's great there are people who can keep an eye on him so you don't have to stay.

We're kind of like you on planning for our Disney trips now. We make fp's and usually just 1 or 2 dining reservations and play the rest by ear. So different from when we first started going. But since we stay longer now, we aren't rushed into trying to do everything. I will really miss going and just getting away from the cold this year. I wish I knew that we are taking a trip to Disneyland because that would help me and we could start planning for that. My grandson already is planning and I hope he isn't disappointed if his parents say they can't afford it.

It was wonderful seeing her and hearing her stories! :lovestruc Every connection to my mom is very important to me.

What an amazing gift, for your DH to see that video! :lovestruc I don't think there is much video out there of my mom... I do know there is some, but I don't have it. I am glad he has been able to form a relationship with some of his siblings, I can't imagine how hard that had to have been, hopefully the last one will come around one day. :hug:

Thanks! Ha! Well, it's not as if we went out and racked up lots of debt all at once on all of the cards... We've been married 20 years, so you get one here, you get one there, free interest here, cash back there, miles there... And before you know it - something comes up and then there's balances. Everyone starts off with the best of intentions, I suppose, and then life happens... Bottom line is, we are paying them off honestly and not looking for shortcuts or hand outs, working hard with extra hours and overtime, and getting them GONE! :woohoo: We are both looking forward to living life debt free and paying cash for everything from here on out. :lovestruc It will be a much different life for us. :)

Yes - that helps out a lot... It is a long service, but they do have a break in the middle... As we learned last week - he needs to have a snack during this time, or his blood sugars crash... It's kind of crazy trying to get everything organized for these long days for him - and I don't think he realizes just how much work goes into making it happen? I guess that's a good thing? LOL I don't want him to feel like it's inconvenient at all, I just want him to enjoy himself. :lovestruc

It's so much easier going when a person can take their time and enjoy... Once I realized that we would be going back and perhaps going back many times - it really took the "fraintic-ness" out of the trips, and we were able to relax and enjoy. We do more than a "few" dining reservations... It seems that we all have our favorite "must-dos", but thankfully we all like the same things. LOL Regardless - it's fun to be able to plan again, I did need to have another Disney trip in my life. :lovestruc

What a wonderful meetup. I'm sure there were great stories shared, and I'm glad you're reconnected now!

So happy you're doing a girls trip and that we'll be in the same place, same time for crossover girls trips!

It was really awesome! :lovestruc And so fun/sad/happy to hear all of her stories.

Are we meeting up???? Did we plan something on FB??? I can't remember now. LOL

Huge lump in the throat moment for me reading about your Mom and re-connecting with her friend. What a lunch that was Dorine! I am so happy for you; and now you will be able to continue this friendship. Kudos to your uncle and aunt.

And your Dad! So glad you have found a way for him to attend church. This will mean so much to him. Wonderful job Dorine.

Yes, it was a quick trip; we are back from Universal. We flew in Friday evening late; and flew back Monday morning. Speaking of flying in late; by the time we checked into the hotel we had 10 minutes before the on-site food court closed at 11:00; we cut it close. It was so good to have all of my family together. Oh my goodness though, the heat, wow, we are native Texans and we were all melting. Then add rain to that Sunday late afternoon. And the crowds Saturday. We managed:) There was so much security at the Halloween event Saturday evening; Universal and Orlando police; I could not see Santos any where though. That was an experience of a lifetime:) We did all 9 horror houses.

Can't wait to see more about your trip Dorine!! So good to check in and see you back on the boards. Sending a huge squeeze.

Yah it was awesome Carol... I wish I could find her other friends - sadly Alice didn't know them, or didn't remember them... I honestly don't know if they are even still living? Maybe one day - I will get lucky with them too? I search their names on FB and Google occasionally - sadly they have pretty common names, so I am not sure I will ever find them?

I hope so... I really want him to feel at "home" here, and hopefully this helps. I know it means a lot to him, so therefore it means a lot to me too. :lovestruc

Wow!!! That was quick Carol!!! Yikes! Yah - I don't think anything will be open by the time we arrive and check in... I think we will just plan accordingly. We will be starving by the next morning for sure though. LOL

I am so glad you had that time with your family! It sounds like you had a good time despite the heat (and the rain)? You sure did get a lot done!!! Did you get to do any of the HP stuff? That was our favorite part - honestly. Bummer about not seeing Santos - but I bet it was super crazy there anyways! ::yes::

Looking forward to sharing more planning and trip stuff soon! ::yes::

I think it's great that you are able to squeeze in another trip to Disney with your girls. Make all the memories with them as you can.

I hope everything goes well with your weekends with your brother. I have a sister in law that has special needs. When my in laws died several years ago all the siblings take turns having her on the weekends. I think your brother will really appreciate what you are doing for him.

What a lovely reunion with Alice. I hope she will be able to help you know your mom a little better.

We are so excited - it's almost all we talk about these days! We love this time together in Disney! :lovestruc I cherish every moment!

I am sure it will go fine - it's just a lot of driving for me and coordinating... I am not sure that Jonathan entirely understands - but we all do and it means a lot to us to have him here - so that is important too. ::yes:: I am just glad we are able to make it happen for all of us. :lovestruc

It was wonderful seeing Alice... I think it healed her heart a little to see me too. It was just great all around. :lovestruc

Thanks for stopping by - it was great seeing you! :lovestruc

I've been terrible at keeping up with reports on the disboards lately, but yet here I am joining in to read another one!

I'll also be at Disney in January! If you see a short brunette with a giant, puffy wedding dress along the Boardwalk be sure to say hello! We were there last year during the cold days - we saw lots of people with mittens and touques and scarves, but since we're Canadian we were just wearing light spring jackets haha.

Ha! Same! LOL It seems I am never very good at that.

Ooooh - congratulations!!! How exciting for you! I will keep my eyes open! As we will likely end up at Boardwalk at some point. We will definitely have our "winter gear" with us. ::yes::

Thanks for stopping by! It was nice seeing you!

******************************************************************************************************

OK all - nothing exciting up update... My life has been pretty boring this week - just how I like it. ::yes::

I did weigh in on Monday... I was down a considerable amount! I am only 5 lbs away from my lowest weight in January 2015! So, hopefully by this time next month, I'll be making progress towards my original goals again. :woohoo: Working hard at it!

Hmmm... Otherwise, I've just been working...

Today, I plan to have lunch with Dad... Then I plan to bring V up to Josh's work and he's taking her to look at a car she's interested in... I really wish she'd wait another week, as she'd have a lot more $$ to work with, but her $$ is burning a hole in her pocket... Sigh. So, I am kind of hoping that this car doesn't work out. Is that bad of me? :scratchin

In trip news... I was able to get my Steamboat Willie bag clean! :woohoo: I was really nervous, because after my hand washing, it still looked terrible. So, I thought, what the heck... Gonna throw it in with a white load (no bleach yet) and see if that does the trick... Sure enough - SBW is nice n' clean now. Yay!!! I was almost thinking I was going to have to resort to remaking him. ::yes::

So, now I can start working on pulling together some outfits. :lovestruc

That's about all! I hope you all are having a nice week! Sending prayers and pixie dust out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter