SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

best way to get back to SOG after eating dinner at Sanna at AKL without a rental car? I'm thinking bus to MK from AKL, then monorail to Poly and walk. Other possibilities I'm not thinking of?

best way to get back to SOG after eating dinner at Sanna at AKL without a rental car? I'm thinking bus to MK from AKL, then monorail to Poly and walk. Other possibilities I'm not thinking of?

Either that or if timing works out, take Disney transportation to Animal Kingdom since it is a real short ride, then take the Shades of Green bus back to Shades. Just make sure you find out what time the bus leaves AK and from what location since it only leaves there once an hour. If you miss the SOG bus at AK you can always take the Poly bus.

This is how we do it...

Bus from AKL to AK > Transfer to a Contemporary bus > Monorail from Contemporary to TTC > SoG bus to SoG...

No walking on path at night (kinda creeps me out) - and very minimal walking/waiting... The monorail comes every 5 min, and the SoG bus at TTC runs every 20 min... So, the biggest factor here is how long it takes the disney buses to arrive at AKL to AK and AK to Contemp. :)

D~

Thank you so much! We'll be switching from Arts of Animation to Shades of Green during our trip. I've been searching for this answer! Thank you very much!!!!
Yeah I am not sure about the other way around....we just got back from a split stay from SOG then Boardwalk. They said since its DoD owned and not Disney owned, they could not transfer anything and then called us a taxi. Actually, even the new "minnie" van's that we took through LYFT said that they would have to pick us up at the golf course, not the actual hotel since Disney does not allow it.
I would call SOG and double check on the policies.

The Disney buses were so terrible after we had dinner at AKL that we waited at least 30 minutes without seeing a bus.
After a bus finally arrived we went to Disney Springs, hung out down there for awhile and took the SOG bus from there.
And people complain about the Shades buses!

Last edited:
The buses were so terrible after we had dinner at AKL that we waited at least 30 minutes without seeing a bus.
After a bus finally arrived we went to Disney Springs, hung out down there for awhile and took the SOG bus from there.
And people complain about the Shades buses!

Yikes...this doesn't make me happy. We arrive this week. We haven't used the buses at SOG very much, and we will have a van with us, so it sounds like we may be better off using it! We are good with driving to the parks.

SOG buses are GREAT!! The drivers are fabulous . Some people may complain about the departure and pick up times--but it has always worked for us. Bus to the TIcket and Transportation Center runs every 10 minutes, which will take you to the Monorail for The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. The other three park buses, Leave Shades on the half hour and pick up ( normally at 10 to the hour) . We have our own car and are annual passholders, so have free parking at the parks. If you drive your own car to a park, you have to pay the once a day parking fee . Of course this would not apply if you are just parking at another resort for dinner. As someone already mentioned--if you are at another resort for dinner, the best way to get back to SOG is catch the Disney Springs bus, then you can take the SOG bus from there.

Just back from a GREAT trip and stayed at Shades of Green. We had a party of 14 people in 4 rooms there. Many were first timers there and everybody loved it. Many of our party utilized the bus system on a regular basis and did just fine, but we also did our share of driving. The kids had no issues using the bus on their own either, just had to show the paper card and no ID for the younger ones. We ate breakfast almost every day downstairs in the cafe and several people had meals at Evergreens Sports Bar. The Shady Shuttle was used frequently because of the off hours of the bus system but that worked out well.

Quick question here. My son is active military and his wife and I were planning a girls trip. Without him present can his wife be our sponsor with her dependent military id. to book our room at SOG? Thanks!

Quick question here. My son is active military and his wife and I were planning a girls trip. Without him present can his wife be our sponsor with her dependent military id. to book our room at SOG? Thanks!

Yes! That's what we are doing this week. Girls trip this week. DD was able to book the room and sponsor 2 more rooms. SIL is active duty and not coming.

Is anyone going over Thanksgiving and had luck getting a reservation for the special Thanksgiving meal? I have left multiple voice mails and sent emails. I got one call back, when I was in a meeting. I called the "direct number" she gave me, which rings and rings and rings. I've called the main line and been forwarded to the voice mail of the person who is supposed to be handling the reservations. My mother-in-law also started calling and has gotten the same non-response. :(

I just looked at the eligibility and it doesn't specifically state Marines like all the other branches. Is that an oversight? My daughter just enlisted so we are new to this. Thanks!

Is there any difference between rooms in the two different wings? We’ve only stayed in the Magnolia wing before, but I was thinking about requesting the Palm wing because it’s closer to the parking garage and we will be using our rental car fairly often. Any downside to the Palm wing?

Besides the distance to the pool, you also have a longer walk to Evergreens from the Palm wing.

Palm Wing
1) Recently remodeled rooms.
2) More floors
3) Long walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Short walk to parking garage
5) Shorter walk to lobby (depending on where assigned.)

Magnolia Wing
1) Rooms are showing their age
2) Less floors
3) Short walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Long walk to parking garage
5) Longer walk to lobby (especially if in the back of the wing)

Besides the distance to the pool, you also have a longer walk to Evergreens from the Palm wing.

Palm Wing
1) Recently remodeled rooms.
2) More floors
3) Long walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Short walk to parking garage
5) Shorter walk to lobby (depending on where assigned.)

Magnolia Wing
1) Rooms are showing their age
2) Less floors
3) Short walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Long walk to parking garage
5) Longer walk to lobby (especially if in the back of the wing)

Very helpful. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!