SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Besides the distance to the pool, you also have a longer walk to Evergreens from the Palm wing.

Palm Wing
1) Recently remodeled rooms.
2) More floors
3) Long walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Short walk to parking garage
5) Shorter walk to lobby (depending on where assigned.)

Magnolia Wing
1) Rooms are showing their age
2) Less floors
3) Short walk to pool and Evergreens
4) Long walk to parking garage
5) Longer walk to lobby (especially if in the back of the wing)

i always park on the golf course side(stay magnolia side), i paid for parking ill park where i please, i have never parked in that garage now that i think about it, they are not gonna tow you car with the paid pass.

We arrived around 10:00 today. Traffic wasn't great due to the W&D half marathon, but we checked in, got our tickets and were told our room wasn't ready and they would text or call us. Not 5 minutes later as we were getting back to our car parked out front, we received a call that it was ready. Seriously? It was funny, but to be told not 5 minutes before that it wasn't ready. I'm just glad it was before we headed out to HS. We did a little unpacking and then headed out. We have one of the renovated rooms with the shower only which is very nice. The furniture is so much nicer than it used to be.

It rained a little on us to day in HS. We went to DS at 4 pm and had dinner at Homecoming. OMG, that was good. DH had fried chicken and I had catfish. I also had a moonshine margarita. No room for dessert. We went to Evergreens after we got back and had a drink before coming back to our room. I love this place and always have.

i always park on the golf course side(stay magnolia side), i paid for parking ill park where i please, i have never parked in that garage now that i think about it, they are not gonna tow you car with the paid pass.

That lot is for the golf courses which are not owned by SOG. SOG has oversized vehicles that won't fit into the garage park there, but otherwise, it's not for everyone staying at SOG.

Hello

I have a question (or a few) and while I know a lot about Disney Parks and planning for vacations, I am new to this particular subject.

My stepdad who served in Vietnam just recently applied for VA benefits due to his retirement (lost employer insurance and has ongoing medical issues that make Medicare/Supplements crazy expensive). It looks like he will end up on 100% Disability with the VA (and he has been issued an ID Card).

I am planning their first visit since all of this has happened. Once I know what his card is and if it's eligible I am going to look at his options as far as Disney.

My folks will be visiting WDW with me in April (I have an AP so I won't need a ticket) but they will only be in the parks 2-3 days. We are staying at BWI. (They will be in Florida in Dec but will be offsite visiting Kennedy and Seaworld while they are there and only at DS or Resorts while in town)

Can they get a ticket for that short of a trip? (looks like the website only has 4/5 days and only for 2017)
Can they buy tickets on site at WDW in Dec (not going into the parks on that trip) for April 2018?
Does anyone know if there is a ticket office at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma? (he has commissary privileges so I'm sure he can get on that base if there is an office)

Thanks for any info!

Hello

I have a question (or a few) and while I know a lot about Disney Parks and planning for vacations, I am new to this particular subject.

My stepdad who served in Vietnam just recently applied for VA benefits due to his retirement (lost employer insurance and has ongoing medical issues that make Medicare/Supplements crazy expensive). It looks like he will end up on 100% Disability with the VA (and he has been issued an ID Card).

I am planning their first visit since all of this has happened. Once I know what his card is and if it's eligible I am going to look at his options as far as Disney.

My folks will be visiting WDW with me in April (I have an AP so I won't need a ticket) but they will only be in the parks 2-3 days. We are staying at BWI. (They will be in Florida in Dec but will be offsite visiting Kennedy and Seaworld while they are there and only at DS or Resorts while in town)

Can they get a ticket for that short of a trip? (looks like the website only has 4/5 days and only for 2017)
Can they buy tickets on site at WDW in Dec (not going into the parks on that trip) for April 2018?
Does anyone know if there is a ticket office at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma? (he has commissary privileges so I'm sure he can get on that base if there is an office)

Thanks for any info!
They should be able to get tickets for as many days as they wish while there.

Also, there is a ticket office at Tinker AFB. Here is the link: http://www.tinker.af.mil/Links/Tinker-Living/Information-Tickets-and-Travel-Office/

I may have to show them the resort, it does look really nice. Right now there are rooms available for our dates but I'm not sure if it's the best fit. Stepdad (and Mom) have some mobility issues (need to stop often while walking) and the transportation at BWI (boat to international gateway and to DHS) were the deciding factor. We will probably rent a chair or scooter for in park use but they want to avoid having to have them in between resort and gates.

I may have to show them the resort, it does look really nice. Right now there are rooms available for our dates but I'm not sure if it's the best fit. Stepdad (and Mom) have some mobility issues (need to stop often while walking) and the transportation at BWI (boat to international gateway and to DHS) were the deciding factor. We will probably rent a chair or scooter for in park use but they want to avoid having to have them in between resort and gates.
You'd have to get an uber or cab to take you over to SOG and then you will need DoD/Military ID to get on grounds of resort.
Also, for their mobility issues, using a UBER or getting a minnie van would work well for taking them places w/o having to have a chair/scooter. Good luck!

They should be able to get tickets for as many days as they wish while there.

Also, there is a ticket office at Tinker AFB. Here is the link: http://www.tinker.af.mil/Links/Tinker-Living/Information-Tickets-and-Travel-Office/

That's not quite correct. What bookgirl is looking at which has 4 or 5 day tickets is specifically the Armed Forces Salute programme, which does only come in a four or five day option, not shorter. Sure, you don't have to use all the days and you can use multiple of them per year (up to the limit), but it doesn't come in shorter or longer versions.

Bookgirl, I'd recommend the website militarydisneytips.com. He really helpfully breaks down all the options, including ticket discount programs (the previously mentioned Armed Forces Salute which is renewed on a yearly basis versus the ongoing military discounts) and where to buy them, resort discounts, Shades' eligibility, etc.

That's not quite correct. What bookgirl is looking at which has 4 or 5 day tickets is specifically the Armed Forces Salute programme, which does only come in a four or five day option, not shorter. Sure, you don't have to use all the days and you can use multiple of them per year (up to the limit), but it doesn't come in shorter or longer versions.

Bookgirl, I'd recommend the website militarydisneytips.com. He really helpfully breaks down all the options, including ticket discount programs (the previously mentioned Armed Forces Salute which is renewed on a yearly basis versus the ongoing military discounts) and where to buy them, resort discounts, Shades' eligibility, etc.
Did she specifically say that? If so I missed it.

We have had the Salute tickets in the past and there are also MYW tickets for any time frame you can purchase at the local base ticket office.

your options are for a shorter stay is the Star and Strips length of stay ticket if they stay at Shades of Green. Other than that you can get the magic your way tickets at a discount. Also shades of green has scooters for 30 day

Question..We are going in Feb. and not planning a ton of park days.. so my question is has anyone had experience with "winging it" with buying tickets the day before you want to use them? It says they can link to magic band, just wondering if any one has done it this way and if they had any issues.
Thanks

what happens if you book the Palm suite and a wounded warrior needs it, do they put you somewhere else? We will have a huge party, for next Christmas (15) people!, so we will need either 3 rooms or the palm suite and 1 room, I was hoping to book the palm suite for the full refrigerator

what happens if you book the Palm suite and a wounded warrior needs it, do they put you somewhere else? We will have a huge party, for next Christmas (15) people!, so we will need either 3 rooms or the palm suite and 1 room, I was hoping to book the palm suite for the full refrigerator
The suites book quickly, so if you need one you should book it ASAP.

Oops forgot to mention this is for 2018!I noticed you can only book a year out, so on December 25th 2017 will they book for the 25th 2018 plus the days I need after?

Question..We are going in Feb. and not planning a ton of park days.. so my question is has anyone had experience with "winging it" with buying tickets the day before you want to use them? It says they can link to magic band, just wondering if any one has done it this way and if they had any issues.
Thanks
Sorry about that my phone had issues posting;
We stayed at Shades of Green three weeks ago and had a awesome time. We did order our tickets in advance from them so we were able to make fast pass choices 30 days out. But we were with my daughter and her family and occasionally chose different attractions to enjoy. We ended up not using most of our fast passes and cancelled them. We loved going to the park and not having a schedule to adhere to. We were able to ride the rides we wanted by going early or just waiting if we thought it was worth our time. It also allowed us to Check out AK lodge as well as several other resorts. So in my opinion winging it is one great way to enjoy the parks

Last edited:
Generally, when is a good timeframe for submitting room requests in advance of a stay? We have a total of 14 people in 4 rooms, and would like to request to be near each other within the Palm wing. Any advice is appreciated.

Generally, when is a good timeframe for submitting room requests in advance of a stay? We have a total of 14 people in 4 rooms, and would like to request to be near each other within the Palm wing. Any advice is appreciated.

I’ve not had any experience with room location request, I would talk to Shades and they may be able to make the request now. We needed a crib and they added the request for one when I made the reservation. At the time they stated they couldn’t guarantee it but it worked out for us. They were very easy to talk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter