Shanghai POTC coming to the US parks?

theAeon

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I'm currently at a national association for music educators conference at Coronado Springs. The vice president of Disney Parks, Matt Conover, gave a presentation to all the students, and briefly described his work on Shanghai Disneyland and the Pirates attraction. He started to describe the ride itself, but then stopped, saying "I wouldn't want to spoil the ride for you." If the ride was never coming stateside, he likely would not have been concerned about spoilers. I can provide further confirmation about my location/identity/the fact that he actually showed up if you guys desire.

Both US parks have their own pirates. It would require almost a completely new build of those rides. I don't see it coming personally. I think maybe he was trying to get people to go out to Shanghai and experience it themselves.
I'd agree with you if 600 of the people in the room weren't minors. Regardless, it is kind of a stretch.

I'd agree with you if 600 of the people in the room weren't minors. Regardless, it is kind of a stretch.

The culture around spoiling is so critical now. I'm sure he was doing it out of politeness vs trying to be coy about possible changes. There was no way at 12 or 13 I would've known that in a few years I would be living in Australia for a summer at 17. As you well know, students involved in music, can take school trips all around the world. Many of my friends went on college orchestra trips to Germany, France, and yes even China. I don't doubt that if Shanghai DL were open then, some would've lobbied to go on an excursion there. So I think he was just being thoughtful, plus part of the marketing is that it should be experienced in person, so why spoil the story in a presentation?

It's usually best to avoid making assumptions based on personal feelings or circumstances. While you may never even considering traveling to Shanghai, that might not be true for other families. I think Roxyfire is right on the money.

I can get to Shanghai from South Florida for about $800 round trip (including taxes and fees). With advances in airplanes, the world really is small. When my brother looks at possible vacations for his family, he includes international destinations. That's not something that was ever considered when he and I were kids. But, it's a different world today.

I can get to Shanghai from South Florida for about $800 round trip (including taxes and fees). With advances in airplanes, the world really is small. When my brother looks at possible vacations for his family, he includes international destinations. That's not something that was ever considered when he and I were kids. But, it's a different world today.

This is very true. When I was a kid my parents never ever considered international trips. This year we've been to Europe twice.

So am I correct in assuming I'm alone in this - from watching ride videos, never been there - I don't like the Shanghai version at all! Love the classic ones. :)

I'm going to edit myself before reading replies - I like the looks of the ride. But it's a ride based on the movies, which is completely different than the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

I would hate to see original ride replaced.

Last edited:
The Shanghai version is so different you could really install it in another park and keep the current POTC where it is. I agree that the POTC as we know must remain intact (even though they've made some changes already.)

So am I correct in assuming I'm alone in this - from watching ride videos, never been there - I don't like the Shanghai version at all! Love the classic ones. :)

The Shanghai one looks spectacular, but I suspect it'll age fast. A screen is a screen. Animatronics have a natural charm that age doesn't really diminish.

Mind you, some of the tech (the projection mapping on Jack Sparrow for example) could easily be added to US parks to freshen the US versions up.

Shanghai's POTC is really, really different from any other version you've seen. Its not just the story line that's different, its the whole ride mechanism, scenes and screens. It would take a complete tear down and new construction to incorporate it into the existing parks. Not seeing that happen.

Yea and while it is vey diferent it has enough similarities that I don't see them putting it in next to one of the classic PotC rides. And I defintiely don't see them tearing out the classics. Especailly if they are changing the auction scene, don't see them putting work into the ride like that if they were plannign to take it out anyway.
The one possibility I could see is them building it inside another park outside the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Hollywood Studios I feel would be the best fit and name it after Jack Sparrow intstead of PotC to avoid confusion between the two. But I still feel like that is a stretch and not likely. It would be quite possibile for them to use the ride system for another new attraction in either Anaheim or Orlando.

As a former Pirate, there is no way this would work. Our structure is way to small for what they have. I also think they will keep a lot of the rides in each of the parks different so that people will go visit them all and have new experiences. Plus, people would rebel! Pirates in World is way to much of a classic for them to do a huge change like that. Just look at the backlash from the Redhead, myself included. They would never get away with it. But it would be cool to update with elements of the Shanghai one!

Pfffft.... I put "vice president of Disney Parks" right up there with bus driver with regards to reliability!

:-)

The Shanghai PotC technology is said to be the basis for the next Pandora attraction.

There's no real doubt that it's coming, just a matter of where, how, and when.

Unless it is for a Pandora attraction at another park doesn't seem that great of a change to me. With it being a slow moving boat ride through a simulated environment I feel it would jsut be a pussed version of the Navi River Journey that is currently there. I would love to see it used but think ti woudl be better in another area besides Pandora and get a new attraction that adds more diversity to the area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter