Share Your Cute LGBT Memories in the Parks!

PlutosRHM55

Currently: No HHN Depression
I noticed this board is primarily used for asking questions about certain LGBT experiences in the parks. I thought I'd start a thread about talking about our favorite experiences being noticed as being a member of the community and being reminded you are safe and loved. That's probably one of, if not THE most magical thing going on in the most magical place on Earth. So let's hear some of the most magical instances in which you felt so supported and accepted at the Disney parks for living your truth.

I'll start, if none of the above or this thread title really makes sense...

I was on the Disney College Program this past Fall and got to spend quite a bit of time in the parks. I own a multitude of shirts that are pretty much literal versions of "wearing my sexuality on my sleeve", which I kinda do anyways. I'd also worn make-up on many occasions to the parks. Most of the time, it wasn't a big deal and nobody cared, which was fine with me. One day however I was on my way through bag check at Hollywood Studios. There wasn't really anyone coming into the park at this point. I wore my "#OrlandoStrong" tee and this was not many months after the incident at Pulse. My nails were also painted on this day. As I walked up, I noticed one of the security guards was taking an unusual interest in me. After I got my bag checked per usual (at a different security guard), I was ready to head straight into the park when the security guard stopped me, which caught me off-guard. I'm a person who's just perpetually guilty and thinks I'm always doing something wrong so I was afraid I was going to have to go through a second check or something (again, this was post-Pulse Disney). Instead she stopped me to tell me (this is not exact verbatim), "I just want to let you know, you are so brave for wearing your colors. I also love your toenails. I wish I could do my nails as nice as that." It left me a little misty-eyed. I'm used to the usual compliment, which is usually all I like to hear. Me wearing a Pride shirt or having sparkly nails is just a form of self-expression for me. I don't think of myself as brave for being as out, loud and proud as I am. It made me feel really good and blessed to know there are people out there who are so accepting and supportive. It was just a really sweet moment that I think about often.

Now, let's hear yours!

P.S. Here's me with Chewie in the park a little bit later (I posted this pic with my little story on Instagram so I thought it only fitting to post it here too.)

This past Saturday, during Gay Days at the Magic Kingdom, I was in line at Be Our Guest for lunch. A early twenty-something girl and I started talking since she saw a pin I had on my bag that says "#IllGoWithYou" on flag with the Transgender colors. She identifies as Pan and she has a close friend who she helped with some transition surgery before his family started coming around and supporting him. Then we just talked about theme parks. At first the conversation was awkward since I had to explain the pin and why it was created in response to HB2 in North Carolina. But then the conversation took a positive flow.

Sadly, I don't have any stories, but all of the ones shared were so sweet to read :) Hoping to have some stories in the future.

This isn't my story, but my BIL's. he and his family live in Orlando and have always had APs. Their daughter was about five when they happened to be at MK for Gay Days. My niece noticed all the red shirts and asked why everyone was wearing them. My BIL said something along the lines of, "Because they believe everyone should be allowed to love whomever they want." My niece thought about it, then said, "well, why aren't we wearing red shirts?" My BIL said there was not a dry eye in the line queue.

While I am straight, and married to my best friend... the love of my life.. I have a story of something my DH and I did for a couple at Epcot during food and wine several years ago... I was in the bathroom and I noticed this young woman who seemed really out of sorts, and I asked her are you alright, and she said no, the photographers isn't going to show up, at this point she was almost in tears... I said can I help you... she was like no, and very hesitant, I said no really can I help you... She said I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me, and now we won't have any pictures... I said my husband and I will do it for you. She was so stunned that I offered, she was like really, are you sure... Yes we would be honored...Then she ask why would you do this... I just said why would we not? So she told me that they were getting a drink in France and could we be over near the fountain in about 30 minutes. I was so sneaky I told DH and we got in line behind them taking some shots of them ordering drinks, and hold hands walking toward the fountain, Then they sorta walked over to the area just pass the fountain and we just pretended to stroll around the other side, Then she got down on one knee and asked.... DH did the video and I took pictures... Yes was her answer... everyone standing around started clapping, and congratulating them. They both cried when the one was telling her what we did...hugs all around, we sent everything to their email, and we were on our way... It took about a hour to help them have memories of their special moment, and the beginning of there new life together.... We believe everyone should be able to find love and happiness...

Peace, Love and Pixie dust...

Just a small moment.... :)

When the CM running the line at BMTRR was absolutely charmed by my DD thanking him for wishing her Happy Birthday. Then he started gushing about how DD's enthusiasm reminded him very much of his husband's son and how much they love taking him to the MK. :) We smiled and told him that it sounded like he had a beautiful family as we went through the queue.

It isn't much, but I had my first holiday romance at Disney. It was during those awkward teenage years, we were staying off site and ended up getting to know a similar family as we always seemed to get the same bus to the parks. Myself and holiday bf hung out on pool days and convinced our parents to let us go to the park together, alone. We did the cute teenager thing of sneakily holding hands on the bus. We enjoyed heading to all the rides and hanging out together.

We've had several experiences at parks on both coasts from CMs and guests alike! One of my favorites happened this past fall on our honeymoon. We had buttons made that said "My Prince Charming is a princess" and we wore them throughout our trip. At one photopass opportunity in Epcot, the CM noticed our buttons and got SUPER excited. She was absolutely ecstatic for us and insisted on us taking all kinds of couple-y pictures and ones to show off our buttons. This CM was just so supportive and treated us like any other recently married couple honeymooning at WDW.

IMG_7495.JPG

I did a solo day at DCA in early July. I had done almost every ride by noon (yeah, I'm that guy) and spent the afternoon getting pics with characters and doing things I wouldn't normally do. On this particularly grossly hot day, I had on a white cutoff shirt with PRIDE on the front. Nothing scandalous, but I was a bit...apprehensive before getting into the park.

I saw a line forming out by Mike and Sully and it was for a Frozen something. My brain said pass it up, but my heart told me to just get in line. So I got in line.

Good thing I did...I got pics with Olaf, Kristoff, Elsa and Anna and managed to cool off for a bit. But the best part was Kristoff. He made a few comments about my shirt and, maybe it was my imagination, but tended to linger in the hello and goodbye hug. (Yeah, I'm also that guy.)

Anyway, here's Olaf, Kristoff and me...followed by a very special pic. Our first Disney trip, first attraction together in 2015.

12141688_10156104567785548_9087199477969519471_n.jpg 20031850_10158909431565548_9030066298462358108_n.jpg

My best memory was my last DLR trip in 2015 and getting a purple Disney cap to go with my Tinkerbell shirt. Having staff use female pronouns just based on what I was wearing and hearing "Miss" when they would ask me anything when I was still testing the waters on how I felt with being transgender and female... The park staff, interactions with characters, and feeling so comfortable and happy was the final push I needed to go through with transitioning.

Since that trip I got my life in order, a new job, currently 9 months on hormones, lost a bit of weight, living as female with name/gender marker changed and out to everyone. But most importantly... ready to go back to DLR in 3 weeks!

This past summer, my girlfriend and I went dressed as Carl and Ellie to Disneyland. It was our first time going to the parks together, and while neither of us had ever disney bounded before, but we compare ourselves to Carl and Ellie so often that we knew we had to. It was such a magical time, people literally asked for our picture and the cast member at star tours told us how much she loved our outfit. When I told her I had always wanted to be the rebel spy, I somehow ended up being the rebel spy that time. This story does not go much deeper than just having a truly magical day, but it made me so happy that people would tell us what a cute couple we were, and knowing little kids were seeing that being gay is a possibility.

It reminded me of when I was closeted, going to Disneyland, and seeing at least one happy gay couple every visit and remembering it really is the happiest place on earth, a place where everyone is free to be who they are. It gave me hope for me in the future, and now I hope to give that to others. I am so grateful for such a welcoming place, because even though I now live in super-liberal New York City, I've never felt more comfortable in my sexuality than at Disneyland.

FIfdj2z.jpg

Sorry for a rambly post- I'm just so excited this thread exists :)

Last edited:
We just got back from our trip. We're both sick, but we had a great time.

Managed all three US parks in the same year. Next year...Paris. :)

Attachments

• 23472810_10159757922750436_8192788575288865347_n.jpg
    23472810_10159757922750436_8192788575288865347_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
While I am straight, and married to my best friend... the love of my life.. I have a story of something my DH and I did for a couple at Epcot during food and wine several years ago... I was in the bathroom and I noticed this young woman who seemed really out of sorts, and I asked her are you alright, and she said no, the photographers isn't going to show up, at this point she was almost in tears... I said can I help you... she was like no, and very hesitant, I said no really can I help you... She said I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me, and now we won't have any pictures... I said my husband and I will do it for you. She was so stunned that I offered, she was like really, are you sure... Yes we would be honored...Then she ask why would you do this... I just said why would we not? So she told me that they were getting a drink in France and could we be over near the fountain in about 30 minutes. I was so sneaky I told DH and we got in line behind them taking some shots of them ordering drinks, and hold hands walking toward the fountain, Then they sorta walked over to the area just pass the fountain and we just pretended to stroll around the other side, Then she got down on one knee and asked.... DH did the video and I took pictures... Yes was her answer... everyone standing around started clapping, and congratulating them. They both cried when the one was telling her what we did...hugs all around, we sent everything to their email, and we were on our way... It took about a hour to help them have memories of their special moment, and the beginning of there new life together.... We believe everyone should be able to find love and happiness...

Peace, Love and Pixie dust...

Such a wonderful story!!

A few years ago my now-very-recent-ex and I were at Not So Scary. We were watching the ghost outside of Haunted Mansion as she was coming down the staircase. We started walking and she ran up behind us. Completely broke character, but whatever. "Awww, you're such a cute couple! How long have you been together? You guys should head over to (Ride name, keeping it out because I don't want her to get in trouble if she still plays the role)! My wife works over there, be sure to tell her hi for me! We've been together for XX years!"

Simple, but super sweet and definitely made our day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!