Sharing dining plan credits?

DianaMB333

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Hi.. we are a party of 5, staying at 2 rooms.. it seems reasonable to purchase dining plan for room 1 (3 pax) and share credits with room 2 (2 pax).. is it allowed? Any restrictions? Thanks..

It never used to be but recent reports have been they do. I’ve never done it myself.

We’ve done this several times. It works out great. We get the deluxe dining plan for 3 people and share the credits for our whole party. We aren’t a family of big eaters, so we will also share some meals. Until Disney changes the rules on using credits, it can be a great money saver!

I can’t find any wording on the Dining plan that says it is not allowed.. but the reports are up to date so.. will have to revisit the plan.. thanks!

I'm actually wondering about this too. Were travelling in two rooms for 10 days.

Room 1: 2 adults, a three year old and a baby.
Room 2: 2 adults and a baby.

If room 1 buys the deluxe plan, it should cost $2,850 and we would get 90 table service credits and 60 snack credits and 3 mugs.

90/5 = 18 table credits each. Basically two table services per day aside from travel days plus 12 snack credits each. That should easily cover our food budget (aside from tip).

2850/5 /10 = $57 per day per person for two table service meals and a snack. Pretty good deal. Not much more than just eating quick service and maybe 3 or 4 table services scattered throughout the trip...

Also wondering if you can opt in to pay for the meal plan for the infants. An extra $47 per day would get us 30 more credits which can be used to upgrade to some signature dining restaurants.

I'm actually wondering about this too. Were travelling in two rooms for 10 days.

Room 1: 2 adults, a three year old and a baby.
Room 2: 2 adults and a baby.

If room 1 buys the deluxe plan, it should cost $2,850 and we would get 90 table service credits and 60 snack credits and 3 mugs.

90/5 = 18 table credits each. Basically two table services per day aside from travel days plus 12 snack credits each. That should easily cover our food budget (aside from tip).

2850/5 /10 = $57 per day per person for two table service meals and a snack. Pretty good deal. Not much more than just eating quick service and maybe 3 or 4 table services scattered throughout the trip...

Also wondering if you can opt in to pay for the meal plan for the infants. An extra $47 per day would get us 30 more credits which can be used to upgrade to some signature dining restaurants.

A few important things:

1. As of January 1st child and adult credits are separated on the DxDP which means you would not be able to use the child’s credits for adult meals.

2. A 10 day trip will only get you 9 nights worth of credits, meaning that you would have 54 adult meal credits and 27 child meal credits.

Yes.. sharing has a lot of sense .. and the food has been paid for so.. hope that restrictions are not true/official..

A few important things:

1. As of January 1st child and adult credits are separated on the DxDP which means you would not be able to use the child’s credits for adult meals.

2. A 10 day trip will only get you 9 nights worth of credits, meaning that you would have 54 adult meal credits and 27 child meal credits.
10 nights.

But the not sharing children's meals changes a lot

Just to clarify, is sharing not allowed anymore?
We will be on the Disney dining plan and were planning on treating my parents to a special dinner at Artist point (they are not on the dining plan and would not pay oop for this meal)
Will we be able to use one of our TS credit for them?

I think it is allowed (the sharing and child credits) with the deluxe dining plan only. All ears net had an article if you search for it (deluxe dining plan 2020). Although when checking the Disney website it does not go into as much detail. From what I have read it is no longer allowed for the regular dining plan.

I think it is allowed (the sharing and child credits) with the deluxe dining plan only. All ears net had an article if you search for it (deluxe dining plan 2020). Although when checking the Disney website it does not go into as much detail. From what I have read it is no longer allowed for the regular dining plan.
Oh that’s disappointing
I guess we will still try it and pay OOP if we need to but I would be really disappointed 😔

I can only speak to our trip this past January. We had two rooms one with 2, one with 4. We got the Deluxe Dining Plan for the room with 2. We had one table service meal per day where we shared the credits from the room with 2. Sometimes we even shared meals as well. Every restaurant was completely ok with this, except for 50s Primetime. In the end they allowed us to pay for our kids meals with our purchased credits when I pointed out that we had done it all week with no problems and that the website does not say that I can't use my credits to pay for a guests meal. BUT... they really made us feel like we were doing something bad. I don't see the issue. I purchased the credits... I'm just choosing how to spend them. We still ate at TS restaurants... paid a tip to the servers... as well bought all our counter service meals out of pocket.

Hi.. we are a party of 5, staying at 2 rooms.. it seems reasonable to purchase dining plan for room 1 (3 pax) and share credits with room 2 (2 pax).. is it allowed? Any restrictions? Thanks..
I just did this last week. My son and I in 2 studios. Booked one QS dining plan. We had a reservation at California Grill, Keys to the Kingdom Tour (quick service meal included), and Moonlight Magic (quick service meal included). We would never have been able to use up all meals if we booked 2 dining plans. The only way we were restricted was that I had to be present to use the credits as they were on my magic band, and he spent a half day at the studios without me (getting on ROR and Smugglers Run). I was never asked why I was purchasing 2 meals when I only had one person on my reservation, no problem using snacks.

Be aware that the credits are now designated as child or adult. You can no longer purchase an adult meal with a child credit. It was pretty simple on the scale of two adults in two rooms, might be a bit more complicated in your situation.

Very helpful! Will follow the same strategy trying to share as much as possible.. thanks

I can only speak to our trip this past January. We had two rooms one with 2, one with 4. We got the Deluxe Dining Plan for the room with 2. We had one table service meal per day where we shared the credits from the room with 2. Sometimes we even shared meals as well. Every restaurant was completely ok with this, except for 50s Primetime. In the end they allowed us to pay for our kids meals with our purchased credits when I pointed out that we had done it all week with no problems and that the website does not say that I can't use my credits to pay for a guests meal. BUT... they really made us feel like we were doing something bad. I don't see the issue. I purchased the credits... I'm just choosing how to spend them. We still ate at TS restaurants... paid a tip to the servers... as well bought all our counter service meals out of pocket.

When the DDPs first come out and the number of people was listed on the KTTW card...that long ago,,,the rule was you couldn’t share And they would only take as many as listed on card,

Now, with magic bands, it sounds like the rule has changed to it doesn’t matter. Disney May have realized that it is just easier to go with the notion that you paid, so use them however you want!

I’ve been reading about this on the Restaurant board recently. We have two villas this year and have been considering this. From reading first hand reports what Bella Paige posted is accurate.

Adult and child meals are completely separated (there are receipt photos posted to show this). Adults must use adult credits to purchase meals. An adult or a child can not use a child credit to purchase an adult meal. It does not matter which plan you have.

Dining Credits can still be shared.....adult to adult, child to child.

I cut and pasted this from the all ears site. They are usually on point with what they publish, but there are so many differing observations that I just don’t know.
  • You may use an unlimited number of your available meal entitlements at one time. For example, if you wish to cover dinner for friends dining with you who are not on the Dining Plan, you will be able to use your entitlements to do so. (You must specifically request this.)
  • If you are using the Deluxe dining plan you may now use any child meal entitlements for adult entrees. (This change does not apply if you are on the regular dining plan.)
We will also have two different rooms for a big trip next year. Will crunch numbers and plan out where we will eat before making a decision about DP vs TIW. DD and I spent a couple of hours planning her upcoming trip...knows where she’s eating, checked menu selections and pricing at sit downs and counter service and where the best snack credit opportunities are. DxDP for first two nights at first resort and regular DP for next four nights at second resort. She will come out way ahead as long as she sticks to the plan. The included alcohol at counter service (except for MK) is what puts her ahead with the regular dining plan. Otherwise she’d be better off with AP/DVC discount.

I cut and pasted this from the all ears site. They are usually on point with what they publish, but there are so many differing observations that I just don’t know.
  • You may use an unlimited number of your available meal entitlements at one time. For example, if you wish to cover dinner for friends dining with you who are not on the Dining Plan, you will be able to use your entitlements to do so. (You must specifically request this.)
  • If you are using the Deluxe dining plan you may now use any child meal entitlements for adult entrees. (This change does not apply if you are on the regular dining plan.)
We will also have two different rooms for a big trip next year. Will crunch numbers and plan out where we will eat before making a decision about DP vs TIW. DD and I spent a couple of hours planning her upcoming trip...knows where she’s eating, checked menu selections and pricing at sit downs and counter service and where the best snack credit opportunities are. DxDP for first two nights at first resort and regular DP for next four nights at second resort. She will come out way ahead as long as she sticks to the plan. The included alcohol at counter service (except for MK) is what puts her ahead with the regular dining plan. Otherwise she’d be better off with AP/DVC discount.

Yes, but when was that information last updated?

See:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2020-dining-plan-credits-are-now-adult-and-child-specific.3786046/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter