Sharing Some Good News For January 2018

Just an update to the subject of this thread.

DD got her location assignment today and she will be working Custodial at the Boardwalk Resort just outside the EPCOT International Gateway. We are going back to Disney this weekend (staying in an offsite hotel) to move her into Disney Housing on Tuesday Jan 16.

She will probably spend alot of her off time at EPCOT (she didn't want to work at MK because it would spoil the magic) because it's her 2nd favorite park.

Bama Ed
That sounds wonderful.

Ed again please extend our best and warmest wishes to your DD as she embarks on this fantastic opportunity it speaks volumes that she kept trying of the values you and Mrs Bama instilled in her. Be safe in your travels down. Not sure where you are staying OFF Property but back in the late 80's early 90's I used to do 2-3 nights at Best Western on 192 just east of I4 easy to get to EPCOT Drive and main gate

DD got her location assignment today and she will be working Custodial at the Boardwalk Resort just outside the EPCOT International Gateway.
Congratulate your daughter. So happy she got her desired assignment. Even though we've never met her, we'll be looking for her in February. I've never been to the Boardwalk area and have always wanted to check out Jelly Rolls and the other shops and restaurants there. We have an ADR at the Yachtsman Steakhouse at Yacht Club one night.

j

Glad she got the assignment she likes. Proud parents there.

Looks very very Nice Ed Something to be very proud of for her and her parents. Now if she just make it a double by becoming a Dapper Danielle

Congrats to Christina, You and Mrs. Bama Ed. We are planning for September, hopefully she might still be there?

No, tigger92662, she is just there for the spring semester so mid-May is when she leaves. Bama Ed

I'm just reading these posts Bama Ed! Congrats to Christina!

We just left our BWV on last Saturday morning, after a week's stay. Is she already working there? I may have walked past her and didn't know it!

Would have loved to acknowledge her if I'd seen her. I have other friends who have had family in the college program. One is now making a career of it and is a cast member at DHS. When she was driving a safari truck at AK, I was able to ride up front in the truck with her. And, years ago, my own daughter(now 39) got accepted into the program but ultimately didn't go due to a different opportunity coming along at the same time.

Cast members can be absolutely magical! They are what makes Disney special.

Sorry if I missed a follow up post - how did she like the program? I was MK North Custodial Spring 2004 and I loved it so much. I hope she had a blast!

Sorry if I missed a follow up post - how did she like the program? I was MK North Custodial Spring 2004 and I loved it so much. I hope she had a blast!

Sleepy425,

Thanks for following up.

As you know when you sign up for the College Program, you have no ability to "steer" where you are assigned. She had ranked Custodial pretty high but she didn't get a theme park but instead got assigned to Boardwalk Resort just outside the EPCOT International Gateway between UK and France.

On the whole it was a story of plus and minus. She LOVED the perks of going into the parks in her off hours and did so nearly every day (and night). She didn't like the fact that there were so few College Program kids at BW with her; she had to work around "old" people around MY age (lol). Her roommates (a total of six girls in Vista Way Disney apartments six girls in three bedrooms and two bathrooms) were spread all over; some were working in the parks, some were in Disney Springs/Downtown Disney. Everyone was on different work schedules.

Plus nearly all her hours were late afternoon till around midnight: like 330pm to 1200am. The adult full time Cast Members got the morning/daytime shifts like 7am-3pm or 8am-4pm. We knew this going in that she would get mostly the late shifts but it was still not preferable.

I think the low point for her was the last week of March 2018 when the Custodial team had to take care of all the trash cans along the Boardwalk towards Epcot which INCLUDED the ESPN Sportsclub during the NCAA Men's Basketball Sweet 16 weekend. She and her co-worker would empty the trash cans along the wooden boardwalk in front of the ESPN Club and other food places and then have to go right back IMMEDIATELY and do so again (OVER and OVER again). She also had to clean bathrooms around the lobby area of the BW resort and she longed for and enjoyed any pleasant guest interactions but they weren't very frequent.

One of her roommates was in Food Vending at MK (popcorn around the circle in front of the castle) and would work mostly evening or the late, late shift by the Main Street Train Station selling popcorn from the portable machine cart while guest are leaving (closing time at 2am and by the time you serve the last guest, clean the cart, and clock out it's almost 4am) and while that would have been harder, there were several College Program kids working at the same time). It was a good learning experience for her and she's still a big Disney fan - she just learned a big lesson about hard work.

I think it's one of those life experiences that will only "grow" as the years go by. She has her roommates, she has her nametag, she has her photos, and she has her memories. The hard times will hopefully fade into the background and she will treasure the good times. Her mother and I visited here in March (she started in January) from the Fort and we also stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort in April on her 50% CM discount. Then we took her home in May.

The story of her working for Disney will be something she can tell till she dies (which I think is how it will be).

She's glad she did it. She has a "Cast Member" Mickey vinyl magnet on her car as she drives around campus this summer which she is proud of. As she should be.

Hope your memories of your CM days are as positive.

Bama Ed

Ps - and she didn't save ANY money from her time there. She came home with about 100 t-shirts and Disney knick-knacks.

Last edited:
bama_ed I can't imagine having a six person apartment. It was bad enough in my 4 person apartment (Vista Way also). We all worked such different shifts - mine were often closing MK, while the others had afternoon or early hours. It made for rough times.
My time on the college program is definitely something I look back on fondly. I tell people that I now have 4 kids so it increases my chances that one of them will follow in my footsteps and I can take advantage of their discounts:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!