Shh, it's a surprise! August 2020 PTR

cinderaimee

DIS Veteran
Hello Friends! I'm back and planning my 4th trip in 4 years. If you haven't come across one of my TR's, I'll quickly introduce us:

IRFIi22QVJrw6S_3NkNjDRLK3y2o1-nOb-gBwMWFarpCkww_J2bMpMkKVeqOsgtEJu6KfknmIJH8upsfhuzOyWBPnNUifHTcgOR1Ubhq_2IZqvOA17fJlFl2atjhMey77Jpg-mbeYuKhRY09VX348yRwSoqbkkT0uAAjd1mpRjDCNXvV9llRGI8Q3uTdWD10k-gaV25Ri9g9NZkFVP_gr4BAp8TZvgF4MRIgTuIFETiZRo_8bKXNOZNP5DLOsuA_yraJ9Ain1HnFgsVF5a-YZw99ntJXKluAHOEiXfMUTy_RzKKWyY609Uuzcg5SArKHN_rH88GHdF72YPP4ghMoGdARGFieQgYsHQk2qmpYi05KnChiInq9J9PhqfiPD7LTkeuYnWYW5wSqqovWnxeVGFWrzW9MZ8IH8ruFnH7eywBmEliVL8jPxvQ_S-IspzM-KpSvOkXGhTB8wzYf40nuqNuywYKTaIRU-2oHOaFjYs4di2Om0YACUcIwZRA0mMxlkWw_sdrjSDgeMhpE0MIOmo7sPFeJZg7ZAzMuRzOhC79TeWJ2Ig68N64ZCVcr4wmRuzZS-WglGL7jtGRRO5-qAGYah_Ctl7zG8CcqduZZkmTYEqf10mQVFgIiLw_gRkfwiZhi9e-SWlrFOzzfJRolt8ps3WsYMLZAwPo5Xmpytsm93xurmzPjy1Xp4WknnOQC8NKkecLjjnPBl4bUfRo=w1155-h867-no

Me - Aimee, a 30-something government professional living and working in the Washington, DC area, mom of two boys, commuter extraordinaire, addicted to Netflix and Youtube, crochets a mean baby blanket.

Favorite park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite character: Cinderella
Favorite snack: popcorn
Favorite restaurant: 'Ohana

DH - also a 30-something government professional living and working in the Washington, DC area. Loves fishing and tinkering with his motorcycle.

Favorite park: Epcot
Favorite ride: Soarin'
Favorite character: Goofy
Favorite snack: churro
Favorite restaurant: Geyser Point

GAuZlDlj77Ou5OtgdsdFQ6ohV7Boutjk3kSNlgAPTSbexsLV2yaUELLfIhvkTYtkBMyrMhkwaybLmZHfPayqwMQjnBOOXuHH77NlXjPT-YNFJp_Ctj5tRMe3YzP1yK2WzdURlHpZz4z3RuEGwugA8ycpc9iUff_5ICKMDKf5V2rUnNWFjpb3vfixQ3Duy1NFwVSUcL9yLAJQGGV2HRFBfwBN6ZwSAeuskpWrRM2b84Tyxek-aJfJEJwCHyi0eg_hsLRrp3ULYx0ZWwuI34B1O9Gt-AN3Ik6LbxfDaZTTMVogHNL4LjOErxNBCVJ44AgHH9FGCp7fX0pHxsyMQ27ZIeVb7ViP78hma9yaqhH4rlf2-QqnLe6Lg7IHPoLYW9BAKBMP8wx3WvUkNyqi4TCHSjNTk_VV4gOob7aELGmaTmri1H_IDwGId47zILKtYfvHGe2wvhKjm1ReJfbOrls-TKvvjL_cVoPN-EXXRfTqnR2AHlgeQuKaVk3V9oFeVRILDevE-SSZAh-yxGVpJytm8w7Cs3bOAnpe-fi2KLQvPyqaqA0zythQFNCi2-NdjqkE84_FiCskrzWpGMDiK9hU0G2lzxpPCuoxmjMHzVXfeuzuIzB2N0bnIT4FLVEJJ7mSxWBboRBZZPGPLR0k09ecMK71vrTjabcZ8HacJ4X3zuckTxO4yTX7HsEcWwobLQi5poC0Zq_um0qBwsXiFO8oJC6--HXTRz-3y2G9F8VERhOmNmY1=w679-h509-no

DS1 - 7 years old, in the second grade. Loves Star Wars, Minecraft, Legos, cooking, and learning piano. My sweet, helpful boy.

Favorite park: Animal Kingdom
Favorite ride: Flight of Passage
Favorite character: Chewbacca
Favorite snack: Mickey pretzel
Favorite restaurant: Woody's Lunch Box

vjKOZIpqpF9pcFLSzwoO2pjR8WzBjH5z4f9vsQwDSWo72Kv0xG1zIwa4Wc_9g67hhe6bO3niHgmbJa0FDiz7KFntNPtATHAFFqeKRgRoe3xWaPsfijCiZkKjC-q-3hPfg15fICLcB221aR7wQH6TtGR0BIB3VTm3ddgR3kOsXl7a-dfGEm_-HyopSgTauADSCVVgeJPEx7vCSsbGsG6-Y5up5Rz7752sq0Vilz1TvicJ8Cg14Nngfm_KWcLGlw22ZLTr3x_S-ZKks0nJJMW4SstwjxEQGxwK4Kqux71UGmwE9D5vTp8PRNpxYzykShlKswf9dV0yuIIss4uFg4-K_g_w4Q-JmPIclBhSHXiYUGyIhvaUAITGloHAVO-dXW2yyNqI_UVFq-CzOo0snAUAndZzdPkhLuPTWtQfY1QNxqtSpCl6tXZseiPu-biy__db-FSFwPqIszL9_znQdJPpcbpxahcnBCnhaqb6QBgw1iCmVyBBOP4VXEvMJ_EN92QbE4ZTf7i2_UMsUSdO6dASs_xI5Gje1J3LEUOXQQdQf3RlWPN1QKEMEBMYRnxvQF8VbdV_WfdGBoPfgSmGcyUqzJKxhQkallv2hIIH16axB9nbnd2bkZhYkfV2uQeNAFZd6iAmshhGfWr2YGnXic_h7JOuGztypYIOegaN2VM2JWU-LGHIP2WmK8o=w340-h510-no

DS2 - 5 years old, in kindergarten. Loves video games, dinosaurs, snakes, and trains. Full of mischief and energy and is the reason I have to dye my hair.

Favorite park: Animal Kingdom
Favorite ride: Seven Dwarves Mine Train
Favorite character: Chip and Dale
Favorite snack: popcorn
Favorite restaurant: anywhere with french fries

Our first trip as a family was in November 2016. We stayed at the Boardwalk and spent 5 days in the parks. The next family trip was in January 2019 and we had a split stay between CBR and Wilderness Lodge and 8 park days. Most recently, I took a whirlwind of a 4 night trip with my two sisters and sister-in-law in August of 2019, staying at Pop Century. (You can read about those trips at the links in my signature if you'd like)

This trip is basically a year in the making. Shortly after I returned from our family trip last January, my sisters and I began to plan our girl's trip for August. I got away with going with very little fuss from the kids by promising we would all go back after SWGE was open. I also asked the kids if they wanted to know about the trip ahead of time or if they wanted to be surprised, and they both said surprise so we are keeping it all a secret for now.

We chose August versus any other time of the year, well initially because I had assumed we could get free dining again. Unfortunately, the limited dates that were offered this year didn't work with our schedule and we stuck with our plan to go in the second half of August anyway. I found the crowds that time of year pretty manageable since a lot of kids are back in school by then. Yes, it's hot, but August in DC is also hot and extremely humid and pretty miserable so it's not such a big difference that we can't handle it. Last August, I found the weather pretty bearable with all the indoor attractions and air conditioning.

So as of a few nights ago, we are booked for 7 nights at Pop Century, August 15-22, with six day hoppers. Although we have stayed at deluxe resorts in the past, those were DVC rooms gifted by a very sweet family friend. We spend so much time in the parks that the resort is secondary. The room is really just a place to sleep. When I compared the room and resort between CBR and Pop, I really couldn't justify spending so much more money to stay at CBR. I liked the vibe and the pool at CBR, but that was about it. I thought the room was small and cramped, and prefer the layout of the Pop rooms (they even have somewhere to store your suitcase!), and the opening of the Skyliner only makes it more appealing.

Even though I loved it the last trip, we've decided not to buy a dining plan this trip and just pay out of pocket. The splitting of QS credits into adult and child credits is what did it for us. My kids (especially my older boy) laugh at the portions of a lot of the kid's meals, and we liked being able to split an adult's meal between the kids to stretch out our credits. With Disney closing those loopholes, the dining plan has basically lost most of it's appeal for us. (Unless it was a free dining plan, I'd be happy to take that :D )

So that's basically where I'm at now. Our ADR date is coming up in a couple weeks, so I've got to put some thought into that. I'd like to do a PPO BOG reservation, BUT if I'm paying out of pocket for it, EMM might be a better value for us. We are also considering doing a Halloween party and are waiting to see what those dates will be. We have also talked about adding 2 or 3 resort only days at AKL or Poly after we check out of Pop, but we're still trying to figure out if that will be possible with our work schedules. I'd love to just relax at the pool after going full tilt for a week.

Even though I was just there last August, so many new things have opened or will be opened by time that we go on this trip, I'm so excited to see it all!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. I am going in mid September so waiting for some of the party dates and other hard ticket events like you .

We will be there in August, too, but earlier in the month. I just book our dining so the trip is feeling more real now.

I’m looking forward to reading more.

Thanks to everyone following along so far!

I am having some planning paralysis. My ADR date is coming up in two days and I have no idea what to book. Like I said, we aren't doing the dining plan this time and I don't really think we want to pay OOP for as many character meals or table service meals as we have in the past. Also, I really want to see what the party and event schedule looks like before making the final plans. I think I want to book a PPO BOG breakfast one day, and a PPO breakfast or maybe lunch at Garden Grill just because we really enjoyed that last time.

I'm also still looking at flights. I would like to get in early and do a park on arrival day, but it might also just be nice to not wake up at the crack of dawn and just relax that day and get settled in. Another wild card is adding extra days at a deluxe. I would really like to, but if we added two nights, that would be checking out Monday morning. I probably wouldn't want to work on Tuesday if we get back on Monday, and I'm assuming my kids' school will have their back to school open house on Thursday or Friday after we get back, which is just a lot of days for me to get covered (one whole week, plus Monday and Tuesday and then a half day on Thursday or Friday) ALSO ALSO I would probably need to sign up the kids for a summer camp that week and that would be a waste of money to pay for the whole week and only send them for half of it. (Honestly the easiest thing would just be to take off two whole weeks, but I really don't know if my back up person could cover for me that whole time) So as much as I want to do the extra days, I don't know if it makes logistical sense... :(

As I'm thinking about my daily plans, MK is the park that I'm like the least excited about, which is super weird. There are just so many new things at the other parks that we're so excited about. Anyway, here is my first shot at my daily plans. We have hoppers, plus it's August so I'm thinking we might end up taking more mid-day breaks and switching parks. If we end up doing an after hours or Halloween Party, we'll use that morning as a resort day and use our 1st park ticket on arrival day.

Saturday - Arrival day
Sunday - HS rope drop for boarding pass if they're still doing that/ EMH to 11pm
Monday - AK
Tuesday - HS/EP
Wednesday - MK w/ PPO BOG
Thursday - 4 park challenge?!
Friday - AK EMH in the morning and then maybe hop to whatever park we want more of
Saturday - Departure day? (or resort change day!)

So that's the extremely rough-ish plan right now. Any thoughts?

I feel like breakfast at BOG is expensive out of pocket for what you get. Garden Grill is my favorite PPO breakfast and our server last time was great at making sure we got out early enough to go on Soarin before the park opened!

I feel like breakfast at BOG is expensive out of pocket for what you get. Garden Grill is my favorite PPO breakfast and our server last time was great at making sure we got out early enough to go on Soarin before the park opened!

I totally agree with you that BOG out of pocket is definitely overpriced. I went ahead and booked it anyway for an 8:15 PPO spot I found. As far as I know, not every person on the reservation has to order a meal, so I think we could probably just split two. I don't normally even eat breakfast, so I'm good with a cup of coffee and a pastry.

The only other reservation I booked so far was a PPO Garden Grill. Those two ended up being on consecutive days and I don't know if we'll end up keeping both of them, but they're nice to have for now. Garden Grill would definitely be easier to get to with the Skyliner, assuming it runs early enough.

I am in ...
4 Park Challenge - Wow!

Thanks for following along! Honestly the only reason I want to do four parks is because we can... we usually get 1 park/day tickets. Being on the skyliner helps too! Animal Kingdom has EMH that morning, so I'm thinking of getting there early, then bus to HS, Skyliner to Epcot (with a possible break back at the resort) and then Monorail to MK. It's pretty ambitious (especially with a 6 and 8 year old) but I think it would be fun to do!

Sounds like you have done you homework.
Sounds like a can do especially now that WDW has the Skyliner.

I totally agree with you that BOG out of pocket is definitely overpriced. I went ahead and booked it anyway for an 8:15 PPO spot I found. As far as I know, not every person on the reservation has to order a meal, so I think we could probably just split two. I don't normally even eat breakfast, so I'm good with a cup of coffee and a pastry.

The only other reservation I booked so far was a PPO Garden Grill. Those two ended up being on consecutive days and I don't know if we'll end up keeping both of them, but they're nice to have for now. Garden Grill would definitely be easier to get to with the Skyliner, assuming it runs early enough.

I never thought about that for BOG breakfast! That's really smart and I'm gonna have to keep it in mind for future trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter